Handsfree w/ SonyEricsson Z525a?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Handsfree w/ SonyEricsson Z525a?

Has anyone tried the Handsfree operation in an 06 TSX with a SonyEricsson 525a?

I can get the 525a to pair with the TSX just fine. I can also get the car to dial and hangup the phone, but the voice communication functions (speaking and listening) are not transferred to the car's Handsfree system, it's still on the phone (I can hear it!). I have two of these phones (mine and my wife's) and both act the same way. My co-worker's Motorola phone works with my car, so the TSX Handsfree system is functioning correctly as far as I can tell.

I called SonyEricsson who basically said it must be the car's system, and they can't say if the systems (car and phone) are compatible or not, but there is an update to the phone software, but that takes a $20 cable for my pc (pc <--> phone). I'd rather not spend that if it's not going to solve the problem, which they can't tell me either as they don't have phone software "release notes" which details the fixes/changes made to the software.

I know that the SonyEricsson 520a is an Acura approved phone (with a minimum phone software revision level required) and the 525a is not (yet?), but the 520a and the 525a are basically the same phone except for some minor button re-arranging (too many people were taking pictures of the inside of their pants pockets with the 520a!). The software revision level that is on my phone is a later rev than the minimum required for the 520a (both the 520a and the 525a have the same software update download on the SonyEricsson web site).

Sooo...., if anyone has any suggestions about what I may need to do to make this phone work, please let me know. I have another week or so in which I can return this phone and get another, but I like it.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a w800i, and I think I had the same problem with it in the beginning (both sony, and both have the same menu system, I think). What I did was during the call, I pressed more --> transfer sound --> handsfree. It worked after that; I didn't even have to transfer sound to the car again.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I used to have a Sony Ericcson s710a that worked perfectly with the car. I then had it replaced with a Sony Ericcson w600i, which was listed as compatible on the website. It worked perfectly for the first day, and then I noticed the same symptoms you were having. I then went on Acura's website and noticed that they said the current revision is not compatible.

What I did was flash the firmware back to the prior version (which was known to work with the HFL). So now I'm running software on my cell phone that's older than the phone.

A firmware/software upgrade might work, but you won't know for certain until you try (unless someone has already tried). But if you do it, you won't be able to return the phone.

If it is really that important for you to use the phone with HFL, then you'd be better off swapping the phone with something that is known to work. The only way you can keep your phone would be to upgrade/downgrade the software, and it wouldn't be guaranteed to work. It could even mess up your phone if the flash goes bad.

When you try the phone, do you select the option "send to handsfree"?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Might I suggets jaunting on over to www.howardforums.com and doing a search on the SE problems with Handsfree kits in Acura, BMW, and Audi. (and try not to be intimidated by the absolutely nutso cellphone addicts there)

It's basically a firmware issue - Their latest firmware versions should fix it. I had a w600i for a week or two, and it wouldn't work no matter what. 2 weeks after I sold it (at a handsome profit ), they released a new firmware version that fixed it.

The w810i (forthcoming from cingular, already available for some time online), which is a sexy phone if I may say so, had this issue too. I should be picking one up in a few weeks to replace an aging nokia...I can report on how it works then...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Strange that the updated phone would not work, but the one it replaced does. Like someone said ^^^. must be firmware problem. I have the 520A and it works perfectly. I did not have any problems pairing it. I also get both the battery and signal indicators to show up in the MID.

I do have the annoying camera button placement problem though. I just delete all the pictures every few weeks. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with the phone. The size of the phone is great.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fadinglionhart
I have a w800i, and I think I had the same problem with it in the beginning (both sony, and both have the same menu system, I think). What I did was during the call, I pressed more --> transfer sound --> handsfree. It worked after that; I didn't even have to transfer sound to the car again.
Tried that and didn't work -- I recived a "Bluetooth failed" message on the phone.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I used to have a Sony Ericcson s710a that worked perfectly with the car. I then had it replaced with a Sony Ericcson w600i, which was listed as compatible on the website. It worked perfectly for the first day, and then I noticed the same symptoms you were having. I then went on Acura's website and noticed that they said the current revision is not compatible.

What I did was flash the firmware back to the prior version (which was known to work with the HFL). So now I'm running software on my cell phone that's older than the phone.

A firmware/software upgrade might work, but you won't know for certain until you try (unless someone has already tried). But if you do it, you won't be able to return the phone.

If it is really that important for you to use the phone with HFL, then you'd be better off swapping the phone with something that is known to work. The only way you can keep your phone would be to upgrade/downgrade the software, and it wouldn't be guaranteed to work. It could even mess up your phone if the flash goes bad.

When you try the phone, do you select the option "send to handsfree"?

I seem to recall the "send to handsfree" option somewhere on the Z525a -- can you be a bit more specific which menu / submenu on the w600i?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Most likely, the "send to Handsfree" won't work anyways...it's a firmware issue - but the option you're looking for is in the bluetooth settings submenu on the 525...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by llwtsx
Has anyone tried the Handsfree operation in an 06 TSX with a SonyEricsson 525a?

I can get the 525a to pair with the TSX just fine. I can also get the car to dial and hangup the phone, but the voice communication functions (speaking and listening) are not transferred to the car's Handsfree system, it's still on the phone (I can hear it!). I have two of these phones (mine and my wife's) and both act the same way. My co-worker's Motorola phone works with my car, so the TSX Handsfree system is functioning correctly as far as I can tell.

I called SonyEricsson who basically said it must be the car's system, and they can't say if the systems (car and phone) are compatible or not, but there is an update to the phone software, but that takes a $20 cable for my pc (pc <--> phone). I'd rather not spend that if it's not going to solve the problem, which they can't tell me either as they don't have phone software "release notes" which details the fixes/changes made to the software.

I know that the SonyEricsson 520a is an Acura approved phone (with a minimum phone software revision level required) and the 525a is not (yet?), but the 520a and the 525a are basically the same phone except for some minor button re-arranging (too many people were taking pictures of the inside of their pants pockets with the 520a!). The software revision level that is on my phone is a later rev than the minimum required for the 520a (both the 520a and the 525a have the same software update download on the SonyEricsson web site).

Sooo...., if anyone has any suggestions about what I may need to do to make this phone work, please let me know. I have another week or so in which I can return this phone and get another, but I like it.

Thanks.
UPDATE:

A customer rep at handsfreelink.com was extemely helpful with this issue. Seems like I was the fourth or fifth caller in the last few days with the same issue.

Seems that SonyEricsson (SE) has not only broken Bluetooth for the Z525a, but they have also broken the Z520a Bluetooth -- if you have a Z520a DO NOT update the software, which makes sense as they are basically the same phone and share the same software.

The story told to me by the HFL customer rep was that SE was fixing another problem with Bluetooth, and ending up doing more damage to the Bluetooth functionality, as I described above in the more recent releases. If you have a Z520a and are having issues like mine, you can call SE and they will (supposedly) point you to a web site where you can get the approved version (R3J006), download it, and life with the Z520a will once again be good.

If you have a Z525a, there (supposedly) is a software version (may or may not be R3J006) which will "downrev" the Z525a so it will function with the Acura HFL. I will pursue this tomorrow with the SE rep's and see if I can shake some info from them, and maybe a free PS2 to Z525a cable which is required for updating the Z525a software (since they did *break* the software).

Another interesting note: The Z525a worked great in my co-workers Infiniti G35 -- it's just the Acura HFL which is effected by this software issue.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread, but my TL is at the dealer and they gave me a TSX loaner ... how do I pair the handsfree to my Razr phone? I know what to do with the razr but not with the handsfree in the TSX. Thx.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by llwtsx
UPDATE:

A customer rep at handsfreelink.com was extemely helpful with this issue. Seems like I was the fourth or fifth caller in the last few days with the same issue.

Seems that SonyEricsson (SE) has not only broken Bluetooth for the Z525a, but they have also broken the Z520a Bluetooth -- if you have a Z520a DO NOT update the software, which makes sense as they are basically the same phone and share the same software.

The story told to me by the HFL customer rep was that SE was fixing another problem with Bluetooth, and ending up doing more damage to the Bluetooth functionality, as I described above in the more recent releases. If you have a Z520a and are having issues like mine, you can call SE and they will (supposedly) point you to a web site where you can get the approved version (R3J006), download it, and life with the Z520a will once again be good.

If you have a Z525a, there (supposedly) is a software version (may or may not be R3J006) which will "downrev" the Z525a so it will function with the Acura HFL. I will pursue this tomorrow with the SE rep's and see if I can shake some info from them, and maybe a free PS2 to Z525a cable which is required for updating the Z525a software (since they did *break* the software).

Another interesting note: The Z525a worked great in my co-workers Infiniti G35 -- it's just the Acura HFL which is effected by this software issue.

Wrapup:
No luck on the SonyEricsson 525a and getting an updated or downrev'd version of the phone software from SonyEricsson -- they basically said it works, and I have proof it doesn't. Anyway, phones went back to Cingular and I got the Razor V3's which work just fine -- not as much standby time as the 525a, but the phone works fairly well for my purposes.

My recommendation would be to avoid the SonyEricsson 525a until it shows up in the approved phone list at www.handsfreelink.com. Also note that the 520 may not work unless you get the correct version of software which is listed on the handsfreelink.com site. As I mentioned above, the rep said that the later releases of the phone software also didn't work.