ha?! - question about lease and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha?! - question about lease and mileage

Just a few minutes a go my friend put a bitter chill in my body when he said "You end up paying penalty for the extra mileage on a leased car, even if you purchase it after the lease is over"

I'm almost certain he's wrong, but I'm getting scared as he sounded so confident.

Please tell me he's wrong!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, you're screwed!

Haha, just kidding, I have no idea. I've never leased.

What does it say in your contract?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Yeah, you're screwed!

Haha, just kidding, I have no idea. I've never leased.

What does it say in your contract?
No idea. I don't have it with me here, and I don't remember anything.

All I remember is being fully certain that purchasing your leased car means "NO MILEAGE PENALTY"
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by synthetic
No idea. I don't have it with me here, and I don't remember anything.

All I remember is being fully certain that purchasing your leased car means "NO MILEAGE PENALTY"
Well, without knowing anything about leasing, I'd be inclined to say that miles shouldnt matter if you buy it after the lease is up, but I'm not sure on that. Best thing to do would be to check your contract when you get home.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If you purchase the car, they do not inspect it and therefore, the mileage is irrelevant.

If you don't purchase the car, prepare to get ass-raped because the mileage fees add up fast...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you purchase the car, they do not inspect it and therefore, the mileage is irrelevant.

If you don't purchase the car, prepare to get ass-raped because the mileage fees add up fast...
I confirmed that with my dealer as well. If you keep the car, all the extra mileage doesnt matter.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Car Nut

The mileage fee in my contract is 6 cents per kilometer (about 10 cents/mile)... My brother in law has a Sorento collecting dust in his garage waiting for the end of his lease because he's already over his mileage... if he continued driving it, he'd have to pay $1200 per month in penalties...

I'm 90% sure I'll buy the car back at the end of the contract, so it won't matter...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
TSX User

So what was the point of leasing the car in the first place?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
So what was the point of leasing the car in the first place?
My aunt and uncle do it all the time and from what i've seen, you just want a new car every 2-4 years for either status symbol or just for maintenance concerns. Other than that, i can't see why you would :shrugs:
Old 03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Lower monthly payment? Although if you buy a leased car, don't you end up paying a lot more for it in the end?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derbaff
^^Lower monthly payment? Although if you buy a leased car, don't you end up paying a lot more for it in the end?

Not neccessarily.

From a financial point of view, leasing makes perfect sense under the following conditions:

1. Car has a great resalve value
2. Lease rate is less than 4%
3. The money saved thru lower monthly payments is directly invested into programs paying higher than 4%

What people don't realize is that when they BUY the car, they are paying for both the value of the car at the end of the finance term + the depreciation cost. Leasing eliminates the first item leaving you the option of doing something better than holding a depreciating asset with your money.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by synthetic
Not neccessarily.

From a financial point of view, leasing makes perfect sense under the following conditions:

1. Car has a great resalve value
2. Lease rate is less than 4%
3. The money saved thru lower monthly payments is directly invested into programs paying higher than 4%

What people don't realize is that when they BUY the car, they are paying for both the value of the car at the end of the finance term + the depreciation cost. Leasing eliminates the first item leaving you the option of doing something better than holding a depreciating asset with your money.
1. The resale value ONLY helps you IF you return the car after the lease.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're still paying interest, just a few percentage points lower than finance.

3. This is assuming you have money to invest in other higher interest accounts (CD, Stocks etc), which may not necessarily be risk-free.

Leasing is like a pre-paid cell phone plan. You need to estimate with very high certainty how many miles you will drive per month. If you don't drive THE EXACT number of miles, you are guranteed to lose money.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

Leasing is like a pre-paid cell phone plan. You need to estimate with very high certainty how many miles you will drive per month. If you don't drive THE EXACT number of miles, you are guranteed to lose money.
Not necessarily...

The beauty of leasing is that it offers flexibility. On a car like the TSX, which retains its value well, leasing can be managed effectively to the advantage of the lessee.

For example:

A lessee leases the $27000 car for $0 drive off and takes on a lease payment of about $420/month. After about 30 months, the lessee decides he wants to get rid of the car for something else so he checks his payoff and discovers that it is about $19500. A quick check on Edmunds and he discovers that the vehicle has a trade-in value of $20,500.

If he trades his car in, when the dealership pays off the lease, there is still $1000 of equity which can be applied towards the lease or purchase of the next vehicle, effectively knocking the price down.

Or, if he is significantly under the typical mileage, the vehicle may be worth more, increasing the amount of money the individual could apply towards the next vehicle.

Of course, if he is over on miles, as long as the mileage deduction doesn't exceed the $1000 difference in between the payoff and trade-in values, the individual is still not losing any money, necessarily.

Now, if someone in a 36 month finance situation will have thrown about $24,500 at the car during the same timeframe whereas the lessee will have only thrown about $12,600 at the same car.

An effective money manager would be able to take that rather large monetary difference and invested it into something that could easily have made the leasing worthwhile.

Of course, this is contingent upon someone wanting to change cars frequently. For someone who holds onto their cars for 5-10 years, leasing won't make any sense at all. However, for someone who is looking to get a new car every 2-3 years who doesn't drive enough to use up all the mileage will benefit significantly from the lower payments.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

My main argument against leasing is that most cars don't hold their value well enough to make that the case.

This TSX is a rare exception to that rule. If I weren't so sure I will be keeping the TSX for some time, I would consider leasing it as well. Most other cars... it wouldn't be for me.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 PM
TSX User

Of course, this is contingent upon someone wanting to change cars frequently. For someone who holds onto their cars for 5-10 years, leasing won't make any sense at all. However, for someone who is looking to get a new car every 2-3 years who doesn't drive enough to use up all the mileage will benefit significantly from the lower payments.
Interesting points. So the resale value is adjusted if you drive less than the agreed upon mileage. Hmmm...

Now let's say you have $10,000 extra cash to spend because of a lease and you invest in something that is guaranteed (zero risk) and will mature in 3 years. Let's take, for example, a CD at 5% apr compounded monthly. You will have made $1,615 in 36 months, but you still have to pay taxes on your gains.

In fact, you will have to pay sales tax every 2~3 years, which for the TSX is about $2000~2500. Moreover, there are states that collect property tax on automobiles that is loosely based on the current KBB value. Not only are these prices inflated, as we all know, cars with high-resale values (e.g., TSX) are DP'd.

So at the end of a 3-year lease, you would still have your $10,000 but no car to drive. You could drive your TSX for 5 years and still sell it for more than $10,000.

When you look at a period of 3 years, there is no significant difference in cost between lease and finance/purchase. If you look 20 years down the road, a lease makes less and less sense. (No pun intended)
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

Interesting points. So the resale value is adjusted if you drive less than the agreed upon mileage. Hmmm...

Now let's say you have $10,000 extra cash to spend because of a lease and you invest in something that is guaranteed (zero risk) and will mature in 3 years. Let's take, for example, a CD at 5% apr compounded monthly. You will have made $1,615 in 36 months, but you still have to pay taxes on your gains.

In fact, you will have to pay sales tax every 2~3 years, which for the TSX is about $2000~2500. Moreover, there are states that collect property tax on automobiles that is loosely based on the current KBB value. Not only are these prices inflated, as we all know, cars with high-resale values (e.g., TSX) are DP'd.

So at the end of a 3-year lease, you would still have your $10,000 but no car to drive. You could drive your TSX for 5 years and still sell it for more than $10,000.

When you look at a period of 3 years, there is no significant difference in cost between lease and finance/purchase. If you look 20 years down the road, a lease makes less and less sense. (No pun intended)
Right, which is why leasing only works in some situations for some people, but is certainly not the ultimate choice for everyone. Some people, like me, enjoy regularly changing cars or locations (I may be moving out of the country in a few years) and so leasing works because we keep cars for such a short period of time, but those people who keep their cars for extended periods of time will not benefit from leasing.

And sales tax is applicable for both leased and financed cars along with property taxes, so that's not really a factor.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Intermediate

The way i look at leasing is this, and this is why i do it.. I can have a new car every 3 days, i get bored very easy, if i was to buy a car, i would pay it off for at least 5 years and by then ill wanna sell it anyway and finance another car for another 5 years..So either way your paying payments all the time for a car, why not just do it while not paying for problems with the car and getting a brand new one every 3 years? =)
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Instructor

The way i look at leasing is this, and this is why i do it.. I can have a new car every 3 days, i get bored very easy, if i was to buy a car, i would pay it off for at least 5 years and by then ill wanna sell it anyway and finance another car for another 5 years..So either way your paying payments all the time for a car, why not just do it while not paying for problems with the car and getting a brand new one every 3 years? =)
Yup, some people (like my wife) just want a lower payment and a new car every 2 or 3 years!

The mileage fee in my contract is 6 cents per kilometer (about 10 cents/mile)... My brother in law has a Sorento collecting dust in his garage waiting for the end of his lease because he's already over his mileage... if he continued driving it, he'd have to pay $1200 per month in penalties.
Wow, $1,200 per month in penalties? He must be WAY over his mileage! At 10 cents a mile even going over by 20,000 miles will only cost you 2 grand at the end of your lease. $1,200 per month sounds crazy, are there other penalties included in this cost?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Not necessarily...

The beauty of leasing is that it offers flexibility. On a car like the TSX, which retains its value well, leasing can be managed effectively to the advantage of the lessee.

For example:

A lessee leases the $27000 car for $0 drive off and takes on a lease payment of about $420/month. After about 30 months, the lessee decides he wants to get rid of the car for something else so he checks his payoff and discovers that it is about $19500. A quick check on Edmunds and he discovers that the vehicle has a trade-in value of $20,500.

If he trades his car in, when the dealership pays off the lease, there is still $1000 of equity which can be applied towards the lease or purchase of the next vehicle, effectively knocking the price down.

Or, if he is significantly under the typical mileage, the vehicle may be worth more, increasing the amount of money the individual could apply towards t$he next vehicle.

Of course, if he is over on miles, as long as the mileage deduction doesn't exceed the $1000 difference in between the payoff and trade-in values, the individual is still not losing any money, necessarily.

Now, if someone in a 36 month finance situation will have thrown about $24,500 at the car during the same timeframe whereas the lessee will have only thrown about $12,600 at the same car.

An effective money manager would be able to take that rather large monetary difference and invested it into something that could easily have made the leasing worthwhile.

i'm not sure how you get that a 36 month finance situation spends 24,500 as opposed to the 12,600. i financed the 2006 tsx for around 27,000, as in your example, and after 36 months, i'll have paid 450/mo * 36 = $16,200.

i see your argument for leasing, and i would agree that it's a good deal in very rare cases, but for most people, unless you can predict your mileage rather accurately, it doesn't seem worth the headache to me.

i'd have to avoid numerous roadtrips or sucker friends into driving if i leased, so i know it doesn't work for me. but i do see how it would work for some people that don't drive much.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bradykp
i'm not sure how you get that a 36 month finance situation spends 24,500 as opposed to the 12,600. i financed the 2006 tsx for around 27,000, as in your example, and after 36 months, i'll have paid 450/mo * 36 = $16,200.

i see your argument for leasing, and i would agree that it's a good deal in very rare cases, but for most people, unless you can predict your mileage rather accurately, it doesn't seem worth the headache to me.

i'd have to avoid numerous roadtrips or sucker friends into driving if i leased, so i know it doesn't work for me. but i do see how it would work for some people that don't drive much.
$27000 over 36 months is a monthly payment of $750/month. This is assuming $0 down payment which is rare. $750 a month for 30 months is equal to $22,500 plus about $2000 for interest over the course of the loan. This is assuming a 36 month loan with $0 down.

Even in your situation, which I am assuming is a longer term loan, you probably put money down, which I am saying would not be the case in the instance of the lease.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by italiannyc17
The way i look at leasing is this, and this is why i do it.. I can have a new car every 3 days, i get bored very easy...
damn your ADD!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Advanced

my fathers view on leasing is that only 3 types of people do it

1. rich people
2. poor people
3. if you are neither of the above then you're a dumbass

my view isnt quite so extreme, but to some extent it makes sense
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FBPaCCord

1. rich people
2. poor people

Views are many times just like opinions........and we all know what opinions are like
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FBPaCCord

1. rich people
2. poor people

Only if you don't know how to manage you money well and you keep cars for a long time. Otherwise, there are plenty of good reasons to lease.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is also another advantage to leasing: inflation.

Money today will not be worth the same three years down the road. So, in effect, you are purchasing your leased vehicle at the agreed-upon residual value when the contract was signed.

Let's say that you lease your TSX today with the current offer ($299 a month, $2139 down, total monthly payments of $10,764.00, and an option to purchase at lease end for $17,831.20.). So, you pay your $299 a month and in three years you can purchase your car for $17,831.20, which is probably less than the car would actually be worth (a 2004 TSX with 45000 miles, traded in today, three years later, would get about $18,900 and has a suggested retail price of $24,000). Not only would you be purchasing your car at a discount, but that $$$ you're spending is worth LESS in three years than it was worth today because of inflation.

It's a very smart thing to do if you are talking about a high-resale value car.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by TSXEd05
Wow, $1,200 per month in penalties? He must be WAY over his mileage! At 10 cents a mile even going over by 20,000 miles will only cost you 2 grand at the end of your lease. $1,200 per month sounds crazy, are there other penalties included in this cost?
Apparently my math skills fail me again ... just kidding. The $1200 figure came from my brother-in-law directly. I clarified the costs with him. With his new work, he drives roughly 1600km (1000 mi) per week, or 6400km (4000 mi) per month. His lease is for 24,000km/yr, or 2000 km (1200 mi) per month.

He decided to buy a Jetta TDI and let the SUV collect dust/rust in his garage... Here's the breakdown of the additional costs:
- $300/month of leasing penalties (6400km - 2000km allowance = 4400km/month @ 0.06/km --> $264/month
- Gas on the SUV (that's the big one that swells the price to 1200, compared to the Jetta). 6400 km @ 16L/100km @ $ 1.00/L = 1024$. Gas on the Jetta for same distance is $330. Difference $700/month

So, the moral of the story is to make sure your situation meets the requirements of the lease before jumping into it... A change of situation, and that great lease deal becomes a nightmare...