Got a ticket during a test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a ticket during a test drive!

Anybody else ever get pulled over while on a test drive? Here's my little story.

I'm an owner of an '04 6MT TSX. The other day I stopped the dealership to chat with my friend/dealer and check out the rubber floormats. We go to sit in an 06 TSX and he's showing me all the new features (which I'm a bit jealous of), and he gets a customer who wants to test drive a TL, so he tells me to take the 06 TSX for a spin. I figured why not, I've never driven the 5AT before, so I take it for a drive on these back roads behind the dealership (Denville, NJ). After a while, I've had enough, but I'm kinda lost so I'm trying to figure out how to get back, and I get a call on cell phone. So I'm on the phone, and I left my headset and my radar detector in MY car back at the dealership. Before I know it, i'm getting pulled over in the middle of nowhere (no houses around at least), cop says I was going 45 in a 25 and illegally on my phone. I didn't know it was 25! I tell him I'm on a test drive, though I have NO paperwork, jsut my license, and that I was on the phone trying to figure out how to get back. He goes back to his car for about 10 minutes, comes back and says something like "ok, I understand you're on a test drive so you're speeding, I've done it too, but being on the cell phone is inexcusable, so I'm just going to give you a ticket for improper cell phone use..." I was happy, considering I just got a 4 point ticket a few months ago. Don't know yet how much this fine is, but it's no points.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

OH, and the best part is that the 40MPH speed limit zone started about 500 ft ahead of where I was pulled over!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Pro

improper cellphone use???? are you serious? they ticket people for being on the cellphone in jersey? sweet! Nothing against you dag and really in the middle of nowhere I think the cop was just trying to pad his/her numbers cuz that's a bogus charge but locally there's a shitload o' retards that are always on their cellphones while driving... pulling out notepads and jotting stuff down.

worst I've heard off is people with pets in their lap and the pet going nuts and the person ends up drifting into another lane.

I hope they go the route of hong kong, no cellphones to heads while driving!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Actually, I believe that New Jersey and New York, along with DC and a few other states have handsfree laws that require the use of a handsfree while driving. I like it because it keeps people's hands on the road instead of fumbling around with a phone.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
should have paired your phone with the bluetooth on the '06...hehehe....
Old 12-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Have camera, will travel

The day in-car cell phone use, headsets or otherwise, is banned in this country will be the day we might actually see improvement in the quality of drivers in the U.S.

My job calls for me to be on the road all day, and I am simply blown away by the crap I see people do while "driving." It's amazing more people aren't killed. Cell phones are by far the biggest culprit.

It's almost as if driving the car is an inconvenience to the operation of the mobile office. We need much stricter standards for obtaining a license.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Actually, I believe that New Jersey and New York, along with DC and a few other states have handsfree laws that require the use of a handsfree while driving. I like it because it keeps people's hands on the road instead of fumbling around with a phone.
especially those soccer moms in their big SUVs
Old 12-16-2005, 10:11 AM
No-navi, yo

Great story, michaelbolton. And best part is it has a happy ending.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by waTSX
The day in-car cell phone use, headsets or otherwise, is banned in this country will be the day we might actually see improvement in the quality of drivers in the U.S.

My job calls for me to be on the road all day, and I am simply blown away by the crap I see people do while "driving." It's amazing more people aren't killed. Cell phones are by far the biggest culprit.

It's almost as if driving the car is an inconvenience to the operation of the mobile office. We need much stricter standards for obtaining a license.
Actually, the day that we get proper driver training and more stringent licensing is the day we might actually see an improvement in the quality of drivers in the US.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, the day that we get proper driver training and more stringent licensing is the day we might actually see an improvement in the quality of drivers in the US.
Same for
Old 12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
eve
Burning Brakes

We have the same law in Chicago, no talking on the phone without a headset.

But there are no laws against reading a newspaper and shaving while driving. This morning I saw a guy doing BOTH at the same time
Old 12-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eve
We have the same law in Chicago, no talking on the phone without a headset.

But there are no laws against reading a newspaper and shaving while driving. This morning I saw a guy doing BOTH at the same time
There is. It's called wreckless driving. It's just a matter of whether the laws are enforced or not.

Even in DC, the handsfree law is kind of a joke. All you have to do to get the fine waive is to show up in court with a handsfree headset. It's like a fix-it ticket, which really doesn't do much good.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Have camera, will travel

Read the last part of my post. I think we should go to the German standard for driver training. Lane discipline in this country stinks.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Ah yes, the government should ban cellphone use altogether when driving. Furthermore, they should take away cup-holders (not to mention restaurants with a drive-thru) because that's actually the #1 cause of driving mishaps. But, let's not stop there....get rid of the radio, HV/AC controls, NAV, manual transmissions, billboards, road signs, and passengers.

Obviously, the ACLU needs to sue somebody for not enforcing the the 28th amendment. (You know, the one that says the government is responsible for eliminating any risks associated to living.)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by bryhogan
Ah yes, the government should ban cellphone use altogether when driving. Furthermore, they should take away cup-holders (not to mention restaurants with a drive-thru) because that's actually the #1 cause of driving mishaps. But, let's not stop there....get rid of the radio, HV/AC controls, NAV, manual transmissions, billboards, road signs, and passengers.

Obviously, the ACLU needs to sue somebody for not enforcing the the 28th amendment. (You know, the one that says the government is responsible for eliminating any risks associated to living.)
If you can't see the risks of operating 3000+ lb motor vehicles with divided attentions, then you need to rethink your position. You went ahead and took it all the way to the wall with the rest of your little list.

Talking on the phone while driving should be chalked up to a "risk associated with living?" Nice.

I'm sick of having my life endangered by idiots who can't look past their goddamn cell phones in order to operate their vehicles.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Then why not ban drinking/eating while driving? That's the single highest cause of accidents, not cell phones.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by bryhogan
Then why not ban drinking/eating while driving? That's the single highest cause of accidents, not cell phones.
Not to agree that any of the things you listed should be condoned, but I'll play devils advocate. Just where are you getting your stats?

Based on my anecdotal experience, these days way more people talk on phones while driving than eat. That said, I've seen people driving down the road eating a bowl, yes a BOWL, of Cheerios. With a spoon. Like in your kitchen. Driving with their knees.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Not to agree that any of the things you listed should be condoned, but I'll play devils advocate. Just where are you getting your stats?

Based on my anecdotal experience, these days way more people talk on phones while driving than eat. That said, I've seen people driving down the road eating a bowl, yes a BOWL, of Cheerios. With a spoon. Like in your kitchen. Driving with their knees.
I've seen people reading newspapers, reading novels, putting on make-up, shaving, even putting on stockings!

However, none of those beats the woman I saw talking on the phone, putting on make-up, listening to the radio, and yelling at me as I zipped by in my integra trying to get as far away from her cray ass.

Honestly, I feel like anyone who is caught for wreckless driving because of doing something like reading or putting on make-up should have their license revoked and should be required to retake all of the driving tests an go through graduated licensing. We should make things such a pain in the ass for people that they will stop doing these things just to avoid the inconvenience.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think he's right

i actually think he's right about the eating food while driving being more dangerous. i recall seeing that stat somewhere.

here's the issue. we have a "wreckless driving" law which is NEVER enforced. i don't know if all states have this, but it's a vague law that leaves a lot to interpretation, which is the entire point.

therefore, i see no need to outright "ban" cell phone use (except with headset) as it should already fall under "wreckless driving."

i get the impression bryhogan is just pointing out "where does it end."

in new jersey, the cell phone law is a secondary offense (not sure if that's the right terminology) meaning that you can't be pulled over for that, the cop has to see you doing something else that's illegal, such as speeding. granted, a cop can always figure out some reason to pull you over, and if he sees you on the phone, he's got you for that too.

i think people really need to just be more responsible while driving. i know a kid who died cause he veered into another lane while changing a CD.

NJ is TERRIBLE. no one in this state knows how to drive. How hard is it to understand that you keep to the right unless you are passing? Is it really that complicated. and i love that people pull up to the end of the on ramps to highways, and then stop. now you have no room to accelerate. and of course there's tons of people on their cell phones (cops included) and checking makeup in mirrors. i actually know women who think that's what the rearview mirror is for. they have no other purpose for it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

NJ is bad, but honestly, no worse than any other place I've driven on the East Coast. VA, MD, DC, NY, NJ, PA, MA, CT, DE, you name it. They're all about equally bad. Cali is no better. The problem really is that our licensing is too lax.

People in the US see driving as a right, not a privilege. We need to reverse that thinking.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by bradykp
i actually think he's right about the eating food while driving being more dangerous. i recall seeing that stat somewhere.

here's the issue. we have a "wreckless driving" law which is NEVER enforced. i don't know if all states have this, but it's a vague law that leaves a lot to interpretation, which is the entire point.

therefore, i see no need to outright "ban" cell phone use (except with headset) as it should already fall under "wreckless driving."

i get the impression bryhogan is just pointing out "where does it end."

in new jersey, the cell phone law is a secondary offense (not sure if that's the right terminology) meaning that you can't be pulled over for that, the cop has to see you doing something else that's illegal, such as speeding. granted, a cop can always figure out some reason to pull you over, and if he sees you on the phone, he's got you for that too.

i think people really need to just be more responsible while driving. i know a kid who died cause he veered into another lane while changing a CD.

NJ is TERRIBLE. no one in this state knows how to drive. How hard is it to understand that you keep to the right unless you are passing? Is it really that complicated. and i love that people pull up to the end of the on ramps to highways, and then stop. now you have no room to accelerate. and of course there's tons of people on their cell phones (cops included) and checking makeup in mirrors. i actually know women who think that's what the rearview mirror is for. they have no other purpose for it.
I think you're absolutely right about bryhogans meaning. Where does it end? But I do think talking on a phone is more distracting than the primal act of putting food in your mouth and chewing. On the phone, your mind almost blanks out to anything but the act of the conversation. It's why I won't use one on the road anymore.

I don't know. Maybe CGTSX2004 is right. His solution seems reasonable. I just know I'm getting frustrated with the current state of affairs on the roads.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by helraiser
improper cellphone use???? are you serious? they ticket people for being on the cellphone in jersey? sweet! Nothing against you dag and really in the middle of nowhere I think the cop was just trying to pad his/her numbers cuz that's a bogus charge but locally there's a shitload o' retards that are always on their cellphones while driving... pulling out notepads and jotting stuff down.

worst I've heard off is people with pets in their lap and the pet going nuts and the person ends up drifting into another lane.

I hope they go the route of hong kong, no cellphones to heads while driving!
If my state ever bans cell phones while driving I'll raise a class-action suit for discrimination on the grounds that truckers can still use their C.B.s. Just because some people are too retarded to walk and chew gum at the same time doesn't mean I should be punished for speaking on my cell phone while driving. The people who cause wrecks while talking on their phone are the same people who cause wrecks while changing the radio station. But I don't see laws banning car radios. You just can't legislate stupidity away.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Still Lovin my 06

NJ is bad, but honestly, no worse than any other place I've driven on the East Coast. VA, MD, DC, NY, NJ, PA, MA, CT, DE, you name it. They're all about equally bad. Cali is no better. The problem really is that our licensing is too lax.

People in the US see driving as a right, not a privilege. We need to reverse that thinking.
NY, NJ, and MA are the 3 worst states i've ever driven in. MD is rough too down by DC.

I'm ok with the way people in PA drive. Are there a few idiots? Yes. But for the most part, people at least stay out of the way so you can pass. NJ slows down for no apparant reason. I think people from NJ enjoy CREATING traffic. I hate NJ drivers with a passion.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Still Lovin my 06

disagree

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
If my state ever bans cell phones while driving I'll raise a class-action suit for discrimination on the grounds that truckers can still use their C.B.s. Just because some people are too retarded to walk and chew gum at the same time doesn't mean I should be punished for speaking on my cell phone while driving. The people who cause wrecks while talking on their phone are the same people who cause wrecks while changing the radio station. But I don't see laws banning car radios. You just can't legislate stupidity away.

talking on a cell phone on your ear is definitely worse and riskier. i think all states should ban this and require headsets.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Overlord

talking on a cell phone on your ear is definitely worse and riskier. i think all states should ban this and require headsets.
It's the same darn thing. Wether my hand is to my ear holding the phone or to my mouth holding the C.B. handset, it's the SAME THING. You are no more distracted talking on the phone than on the C.B. Or talking to the cute girl in the passenger seat. Less so, in fact.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

I've heard it numerous times on the news. If you google it ("driving while eating"), you'll get a number of credible reports (including AAA).

Rather than creating another law, why not just ticket somebody under "failure to maintain" if they aren't driving in a safe manner (regardless of why)?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Cb

It's the same darn thing. Wether my hand is to my ear holding the phone or to my mouth holding the C.B. handset, it's the SAME THING. You are no more distracted talking on the phone than on the C.B. Or talking to the cute girl in the passenger seat. Less so, in fact.

Some CBs dont require you to hold them like a walkie talkie anymore. And even if you did, it's not as bad as holding a phone to your ear. opinion? some say yes, but i''m sure there's data out there proving it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Actually, the thing about CBs is that they are not typically used to hold continuous hour long conversations as cell phones are.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

you should also get ticketed for not using paragraphs
Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by huckleberry
you should also get ticketed for not using paragraphs
You should also be ticketed for not using capital letters or punctuation.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Overlord

...And even if you did, it's not as bad as holding a phone to your ear...
What a bizarre, unsubstantiated thing to say. One could even make the argument that on your ear is out of your line of sight, whereas in front of your face is obstructing your view.

The point is that bad drivers are bad drivers regardless of whether or not they are speaking on their cell phone.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Still Lovin my 06

yes and

What a bizarre, unsubstantiated thing to say. One could even make the argument that on your ear is out of your line of sight, whereas in front of your face is obstructing your view.

The point is that bad drivers are bad drivers regardless of whether or not they are speaking on their cell phone.

yes and good drivers are bad drivers when speaking on their cell phone. it's difficult to do those two acts at the same time. less difficult to say a quick comment on a CB, less dangerous? maybe not, but less difficult.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

hey all, thanks for hijacking my thread!! It's ok, I just wanted to tell that little story. You know, I didn't even think to hook my phone up to the bluetooth, I bet he would've let me do it, too.

And to add your discussion, the times I was closest to getting into an accident was always in the summertime when I get distracted by some fine girl walking down the street- perhaps that should be illegal...

Now don't take that as an argument one way or the other, it's just meant to be a joke.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Instructor

The problem with the handsfree rule is that when the phone rings, you have to find the earpiece, get it in your ear, open the phone, click the "Answer" button, and do all this while trying to drive and pay attention to the road. It would actually be easier just to pick up the phone and hold it up to your ear than do all that. However, once you get the earpiece in, it's true that you can put the phone down and drive with two hands again.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Instructor

the funniest thing is that EVERY single person on this board at one point or another has had a chit-chat on there cell phone while driving...and the reason it wont stop is because it is impossible to enforce...there is no way possible the police force or anything else for that matter can see into every car on the road and control it...i say drive defensive and enjoy your car or just dont drive at all
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by o_nate
The problem with the handsfree rule is that when the phone rings, you have to find the earpiece, get it in your ear, open the phone, click the "Answer" button, and do all this while trying to drive and pay attention to the road. It would actually be easier just to pick up the phone and hold it up to your ear than do all that. However, once you get the earpiece in, it's true that you can put the phone down and drive with two hands again.
I used to drive with the headset in all the time and used either the voice answer or had my phone set up to auto answer when linked to the headset.

It's about being conscientious, not just about going through the motions. If you're fumbling for the headset and the phone, you're not getting the point of the law.

Now that my 06 has the HandsfreeLink, the first thing I do when I get in the car is link my phone before I start driving. This assures that I always have the system ready when I need it.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Anybody see the show "Myth Busters" where they tested drivers through a course. First time through they got drunk and did the test. Next day they did it while on the cell phone, they were being asked a series of questions to keep them occupied on the phone.

Both drivers were MUCH worse when on the phone then when they were drunk.

Moral of the story, drive drunk, just kidding. GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE. 99.9% of cell phone conversations while driving are unnecessary.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by r33p04s
the funniest thing is that EVERY single person on this board at one point or another has had a chit-chat on there cell phone while driving...and the reason it wont stop is because it is impossible to enforce...there is no way possible the police force or anything else for that matter can see into every car on the road and control it...i say drive defensive and enjoy your car or just dont drive at all
Please don't make gross generalizations, since they're most likely false. I, for one, have never even owned a cell phone and have NEVER used one while driving. I haven't had a pressing enough need for one, so I don't have one. I've also seen way too many people that simply lose all sense of common courtesy once they have a cell phone.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Instructor

All I can say is that I usually give a good glare to anyone who's driving like an idiot. That seems to happen a lot more often than it used to, and more often than not the idiot is on a cell phone.

Hang up and drive.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Heh, I saw a girl once eating a frozen banana in her car...almost made me crash!

Quick Reply: Got a ticket during a test drive!