Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2

Hi all,

Just wanna share the incident on tonite while driving on the Hwy 401. I was driving like 140km/h on the fast lane and all of a sudden I saw a car with Xenon headlight going very fast and kissing my butt pretty bad. I can't really tell what kind of car was that so I thought let's see if I can pull you away. I kept on accelerate and saw the speedometer was pointing at 180km/h, the car was still following very close. So I started to slow down and pull to the middle lane to check out what kind of car was that
It was an Audi A6 4.2....no wonder....that V8 monster.....
That was a nice ride!! haha
Old 04-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2

Originally posted by hata_teru
Hi all,

Just wanna share the incident on tonite while driving on the Hwy 401. I was driving like 140km/h on the fast lane and all of a sudden I saw a car with Xenon headlight going very fast and kissing my butt pretty bad. I can't really tell what kind of car was that so I thought let's see if I can pull you away. I kept on accelerate and saw the speedometer was pointing at 180km/h, the car was still following very close. So I started to slow down and pull to the middle lane to check out what kind of car was that
It was an Audi A6 4.2....no wonder....that V8 monster.....
That was a nice ride!! haha
....you drive a TSX i presume...you see a xeon headlight on your tail..most cars with xeon will pull on you easy (most cars equipped with xeons are more powerful than you)..you aint gonna pull on much cars with xenons.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:51 AM
Houston we have a problem

Re: Re: Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2

Originally posted by gilboman
....you drive a TSX i presume...you see a xeon headlight on your tail..most cars with xeon will pull on you easy (most cars equipped with xeons are more powerful than you)..you aint gonna pull on much cars with xenons.
Hi there,
I got your point --- TSX is a slow car.

This is out of topic, but, I am just curious. What is your sole purpose of making such remarks, here and there in other threads? To convince us that TSX is not a good car? To convert some of us to purchase a BMW? Or just like to stir things up a little?

Don't get me wrong. I love BMWs. I drove at least 3 before. And I don't think TSX is the best of all worlds, but it is the best at only $26K. I would've got the bimmer if I have the money...

So if you don't mind, just straighten me out here.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
Hi there,

This is out of topic, but, I am just curious. What is your sole purpose of making such remarks, here and there in other threads? To convince us that TSX is not a good car? To convert some of us to purchase a BMW? Or just like to stir things up a little?

Don't get me wrong. I love BMWs. I drove at least 3 before. And I don't think TSX is the best of all worlds, but it is the best at only $26K. I would've got the bimmer if I have the money...

not exactly..the TSX is not really slow...just most likely slower than cars with xenons

the main point was to let him know next time to get outta the way when somebody is on your ass in the fastlane, especially when they are comming in fast...nobody likes a fastlane bandit... and especially a car with xenons since they are more than likely to be faster than him. if you want to observe what car it is..observe from the back
Old 04-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
Hi there,

He doesn't have a point. He is a troll. He has nothing better to do then talk out his ass and make retarded statments. He is also a compulsive liar that gets blown away in about every thread because he gets caught in his lies.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:43 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
You gotta cut the BMW-loving gilboman some slack. He's gotta only a slight bias.

I should point out that more and more cars will come with xenons that will not necessarily be the faster than TSX.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:41 AM
Ayumi Hamasaki

LoL that's retarded. "Move out of the way because that car has Xenons." The TSX seems to be a very fast car after you get past 60. Most cars, no matter how fast they say they go, usually only reach about 145. If you were going a bit slow though, it is nice to move over to let that person pass.

Got to love them Audis man, especially the new RS6. Man that thing is sick.

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Go Dutch !

Most cars with Xenon's are faster than the TSX ? Hmmm... guess the situation in europe is a bit different from the USA. We've got VW Golf's, Renault Clio's and Opel Astra's with a lot smaller engines driving around... Not even to mention all those Audi's, VW's and Skoda's with thos 1.9TDI engine's (which all stop at about 200 Km/h and don't pull as well as the euro Accord)...
Old 04-03-2004, 08:46 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by biker
You gotta cut the BMW-loving gilboman some slack. He's gotta only a slight bias.

I should point out that more and more cars will come with xenons that will not necessarily be the faster than TSX.
The converse is also true. There are plenty of cars faster than the TSX that do not have Xenons.

Xenons are still a $1090 option on a Porsche 911.

I don't think I'd pay anything extra for them if they're anything like the TSX's (or Volvo's) Xenons.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mokijoki
Most cars with Xenon's are faster than the TSX ? Hmmm... guess the situation in europe is a bit different from the USA. We've got VW Golf's, Renault Clio's and Opel Astra's with a lot smaller engines driving around... Not even to mention all those Audi's, VW's and Skoda's with thos 1.9TDI engine's (which all stop at about 200 Km/h and don't pull as well as the euro Accord)...
yes quite different... the cooper is prolly the only car that would be slower than a TSX here almost...
Old 04-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Wess
LoL that's retarded. "Move out of the way because that car has Xenons." The TSX seems to be a very fast car after you get past 60. Most cars, no matter how fast they say they go, usually only reach about 145. If you were going a bit slow though, it is nice to move over to let that person pass.

l8ers
Wess
notice he is in canada...he was going 140KM/H... not 140 mph... most cars stop accelerating around 220km/h.. but how fast u get there is the question.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by biker

prolly..but as of now..most are faster than the TSX..
Old 04-03-2004, 10:52 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gilbo, one of your dumbest posts ever. So by this logic, a 325 should yeild to xenons because most likely the car behind will be faster. And the POS 320 should yeild to just about every one.

Plus, there are plenty of cars with xenons that the TSX would keep up with, ESPECIALLY on the highway (and this def includes bimmers). What about the mini, mazda 3, audi a4 1.8t, or a number of slow ass suvs. The highway is one place the TSX can really stretch its legs.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

FYI, the TSX can go faster than any 3-series cars. It's top speed isn't electronically limited to 128mph. Now, before anyone gets too excited, no, the M3s are not part of the 3-series.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Go Dutch !

BMW's in europe are limited to 250 km/h, which is about 155 mph. Actually all Mercedes are as well (except AMG's).

I must agree with the fact that the euro Accord (or TSX) does very well on the highway. I spend a lot of time in Germany and must say I can give most cars a run for their money...
Old 04-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Instructor

The TSX wins at the pump !

I drove this engine in the all aluminum bodied A8 a year ago in Germany on the Autobahn and granted it was certainly fast but definately there were faster cars out there on the Autobahn that would show it it's tail lights to.
I recall in the Oct 2002 C&D sedan comparison the VW Passat W8 4Motion which is very similar in hp and weight to the A6 4.2 came in dead last in the performance due to its weight with times of 0-60@7.7s vs 7.2s TSX* and 1/4 @15.9s vs 15.6s TSX*.
The A6 awd quattro comes with the same weight penalty weighing in at over 4,000 lbs which is SUV territory so it needs all the hp it can get.
But the price of that beautiful sounding V8 at the pump was 18mpg vs 30+ mpg hwy for the TSX. Bottom line , HP is what creates top speed which at high revs is where all VTEC engines are happiest so it's really no slouch on the highway and the TSX still wins at the pump while also costing almost HALF as much as the Audi or its cousin the VW Passat W8. I don't know about you, but $20K is alot of money to save in exchange for a bit more acceleration on the highway which in the US is only going to lead to more tickets, points and higher insurance premiums because cops don't care for expensive German cars or their drivers.

With the trend already very well established, the German car is going the way of the British cars of the past in that in time they will only be competitive in the very high end markets for which most people cant or won't be interested in paying for due to the the comparative lack of quality vs the Japanese products.

Just for example:

What kind of TV do you own ? German or Japanese/Korean ?
My point exactly ...

*July 2003 C&D
Old 04-03-2004, 02:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

While you raise some interesting and valid points regarding german cars, your tv analogy is bad.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Wess

l8ers
Wess
dude, i agree. at my high school, i see a mom who comes everyday in an RS6 to pick up her kid..i'm so jealous. oh, and there's also another mom who drives an RX8 to drop off/pick up her kid every day as well. not fair...and not to mention, there's a senior at my school who drives her choice of an M3, A4, or old school 7-series bimmer. rich? i think taht's an understatement. another girl drives a G35 coupe, and another dude has his choice of a Mustang Cobra SVT or a fatty escalade...life's not fair. anyway, sorry this was a little off topic...but, i don't agree with, "move out of the way if you see xenon's comin up." i very rarely move out of the way for anyone, unless it's night time, when it's harder for me to look out for cops and i just want to follow them so that THEY get pulled over, not me. that's MY radar detector, since i'm too cheap to buy one myself.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by gilboman
prolly..but as of now..most are faster than the TSX..
The Toyota Prius comes with xenon lights (optional), and I doubt that puny gas engine coupled with the electric little engine can even compete with the TSX.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Ayumi Hamasaki

Re: The TSX wins at the pump !

Originally posted by toddstuh
I drove this engine in the all aluminum bodied A8 a year ago in Germany on the Autobahn and granted it was certainly fast but definately there were faster cars out there on the Autobahn that would show it it's tail lights to.
I recall in the Oct 2002 C&D sedan comparison the VW Passat W8 4Motion which is very similar in hp and weight to the A6 4.2 came in dead last in the performance due to its weight with times of 0-60@7.7s vs 7.2s TSX* and 1/4 @15.9s vs 15.6s TSX*.
The A6 awd quattro comes with the same weight penalty weighing in at over 4,000 lbs which is SUV territory so it needs all the hp it can get.
But the price of that beautiful sounding V8 at the pump was 18mpg vs 30+ mpg hwy for the TSX. Bottom line , HP is what creates top speed which at high revs is where all VTEC engines are happiest so it's really no slouch on the highway and the TSX still wins at the pump while also costing almost HALF as much as the Audi or its cousin the VW Passat W8. I don't know about you, but $20K is alot of money to save in exchange for a bit more acceleration on the highway which in the US is only going to lead to more tickets, points and higher insurance premiums because cops don't care for expensive German cars or their drivers.

With the trend already very well established, the German car is going the way of the British cars of the past in that in time they will only be competitive in the very high end markets for which most people cant or won't be interested in paying for due to the the comparative lack of quality vs the Japanese products.

Just for example:

My point exactly ...

*July 2003 C&D
I like it! You raised some very nice points and coudn't be said better. I have to agree with your TV analogy too, lol. Never knew Germany even made TV's, or at least I have never seen one here in America. The Japanese offers high end quality and hopefully in the near future Acura can step it up a bit. Lexus is coming out with some high end luxury cars that offer some nice performance. The new RL and TL are great. I really think they need to consider adding a Turbo charged TSX type S. I would buy that thing in a heart beat and even if I didn't have the money lol, I'd find some.

l8ers
Wess
Old 04-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Banned

Old 04-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Go Dutch !

Just for example:

My point exactly ...

*July 2003 C&D

I Actually have a Phillips (=dutch) TV set, but wouldn't buy a dutch car Although Spyker and Donkervoort make some nice cars they are not within my budget...
Old 04-03-2004, 03:19 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

LOL. The TV is analogy is just plain wrong...

Lets try your logic comparing french cars with japanese cars.

I say french are better.

What kind of wine do you buy? french or japanese/korean?

My point exactly.

Its amazing how easily a bad analogy can convince people.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Go Dutch !

Originally posted by fdl
LOL. The TV is analogy is just plain wrong...

Lets try your logic comparing french cars with japanese cars.

I say french are better.

What kind of wine do you buy? french or japanese/korean?

My point exactly.

Its amazing how easily a bad analogy can convince people.
LOL. Korean Wine ! Anybody want to try an analogy on russian cars vs japanese cars ?
Old 04-03-2004, 03:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

LOL. Korean Wine ! Anybody want to try an analogy on russian cars vs japanese cars ?

I think the russian cars will take over. Japanese cars are being priced out of the market.

For example..

What kinda of vodka do you have? Russian or Japanese/Korean?

My point exactly.

I couldnt think of anything that russia actually exports so I went with Vodka
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Can't believe I agree with gilbo, but I really hate it when people park in the fast lane. It really doesn't matter how fast you're driving, if the car behind you is faster, move to the side and let it through!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Just for example:

My point exactly ...

*July 2003 C&D
Actually, I do own a German TV, although my large rear projection is Japanese made. I own a Loewe (LOO va), because the HDTV picture is reference quality, much better than any Japanese make. Most people don't know they exist mainly due to the price tag, their direct views make (good) plasma look very cost efficient. So to take your analogy to the end, most people don't buy German cars because they either don't have the cash, don't appreciate quality or they are ignorant of their existence. As mentioned before it is a poor analogy.

Also the A6 is a ~3600lb car not over 4k, unless you mean the allroad. Plus the 4.2 in the A6 gets 24mpg highway. If you meant to reference the A8L it is heavy at ~4400lbs but still gets 24mph on the highway. In the end the Audis are in a different class (A6/8) and you get more than just marginal performance for the extra cash, though Acura does (or will) have competative products in their class, it just isn't the TSX. The TSX is a fine competitor for the A4.

To the earlier poster the M3 IS part of the 3 series, just about inpossible to argue it isn't. It is in a different class in many respects but it is still a 3er!

Vandy
Old 04-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by phile
Can't believe I agree with gilbo, but I really hate it when people park in the fast lane. It really doesn't matter how fast you're driving, if the car behind you is faster, move to the side and let it through!

I usually don't drive more than 5mph over the speed limit on the freeways and I hate it when I'm in the left lane and someone in front of me is going 50mph. That's just wrong. Not to mention illegal!!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: The TSX wins at the pump !

Originally posted by ilitig8
To the earlier poster the M3 IS part of the 3 series, just about inpossible to argue it isn't. It is in a different class in many respects but it is still a 3er!

Vandy
We can argue all day long about this, you are going to say that it's a 3 on steroid, I will look at it as a mutated beast. The true is that even BMW doesn't want to put the Ms next to their digit counterparts. If you don't believe me, just go to their website.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Aww heck, it is a 6 one-half dozen argument! From BMW's point of view they want to distance their M line from the 3s (and the 5 and 6 when they get into production) but the bottom line is it is just a "R-spec" 3. I see it like the C5/Z06, they are the same car but they aren't. Though I must say my E46 is farther from a E46 3XX than my E36 (US) was from its brother, though my E30 was similar to the E46 in being a bit farther away.

Vandy
Old 04-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by slo007
The Toyota Prius comes with xenon lights (optional), and I doubt that puny gas engine coupled with the electric little engine can even compete with the TSX.
which is exactly why i said "most" and not all
Old 04-04-2004, 01:42 AM
7th Gear

I agree with gilbo about moving out the way, but in hata_teru's defense, he did speed up and eventually moved out the way. What gets my nerve is when a slow car is on the left lane and a whole line of cars behind. Then finally there is a open spot and the whole line of cars have to go around the freaking slow poke. You go pass em and they are chatting away with the passenger. Oblivious to whatever is going on. Check the the freaking rear view mirror @#@$24
Old 04-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Houston we have a problem

I think I made that mistake once, but...

I was driving at around 130mph (yes, Miles per hour) on freeway, rushing to a conference. And not many cars try to keep up (guess they think survival is more important). So I glance back, and saw a small dot on my mirror. Didn't bother me. Seconds later, I glanced again, Lord ol'mighty there's a car right on my tail! I quickly change into the right lane, and holy schmolly, a Porsche 911 Turbo (996). He accelerated right pass me. Silly me I'm still trying to keep up. Pedal to the firewall (more like INTO the fire wall) and still end up saying farewell to the exhaust fumes......(all the while I was going no less than 120mph).

Edit: BTW, that Porsche did have Xenons...
Old 04-04-2004, 03:37 AM
Instructor

i wish we had more drivers like that porche driver up here on the St. Louis highways...then i would never need a radar detector. and btw, this method definitely works, it's actually happened to me once at night. there was a dude who was catchin up to me pretty fast, so i switch over, let him pass, then i follow his lead...couple miles later, see lights flashing outta nowhere, i was like, oh crap! And guess what? the dude i was following ends up being the one pulled over haha. I bet some of you are thinking i'm just an idiot for driving like this..but i'm too cheap to buy a radar detector, so i gotta "improvise."

oh, and i only go fast when i CAN go fast..meaning when the lanes are open, yeah i'm all for it...but obviously, when it's congested, i don't want to jeapordize others' safety.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by tc86
oh, and i only go fast when i CAN go fast..meaning when the lanes are open, yeah i'm all for it...but obviously, when it's congested, i don't want to jeapordize others' safety.
I'm with you there. I'm also a dick if I'm already cruising at a moderate pace in the left lane and some dickhead wants to tailgate me. I slow down. Go around bitch.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Alright Gilbo lemme try to help you out......guys I think he meant that if a car has Xenons then the car is more likely not to be faster but to be classier/luxurious (you pick) but that sayin would be true about say 3 years ago when they were fresh but now come on even Mazda 3s have then and they are to compete with Civics so Xenons are going to be options on several cars in the years to come. Well tried helping ya Gilbo.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Race Director

i hope they will make either green or purple xenon colored lights next

all of the Acuras have xenon now except the RSX and MDX.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
i hope they will make either green or purple xenon colored lights next

all of the Acuras have xenon now except the RSX and MDX.
Actually, the MDXs have them now. I saw them when I test drove the TSX and TL at the Acura dealership. Not sure if it's the '03 or '04 models that started having them. I think it's the '04s, though.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by G2Ray
I'm with you there. I'm also a dick if I'm already cruising at a moderate pace in the left lane and some dickhead wants to tailgate me. I slow down. Go around bitch.
um..you are the dickhead because you won't let people pass you on the passing lane... get out of the way when somebody is behind you and you are slowing them down...its not a hard concept.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Its only the 04's that have them and they arent xenons they are just projectors but I wonder if there is a package for xenons.

Quick Reply: Got tailgated by an Audi A6 4.2