Got an 05 TL for a loaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got an 05 TL for a loaner

My TSX is in service for the front speaker rattle and they gave me a loaner for 2 days, an 05 tl navi AT, and its making me regret getting the TSX the interior is far better then the TSX the sound system is better, blue tooth, heated mirrors, mem seats, build in fog lights, and all that power. Now its time to search local dealers for a used TL .
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The last time I was at Acura of Cerritos service dept. I noticed on the loaner board that, not only do they have TL loaners, but a few RLs as well. It didn't say whether they were the 05 or not. They probably figure to get you to like the loaner and have you move up and buy a new one.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:47 AM
Instructor

The TL to me is more luxurious, but it also cost more so it's pretty much out of reach for me. Also, I see them so often now that it's making me sick! It's like the Accord....I see one at every corner of the street, sometimes two or three.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its all a part of how the product lines were designed. Acura hopes that TSX drivers will move up to TL as their next purchase and that the TL drivers will move up to the RL.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Racer

wow I wish my dealership did that. They have TSX's w/out navi. It was a step up when I had my GSR but will be a step down for me now since I have a TSX w/ Navi.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
TSX's int > TL's

Old 02-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Pro

For the price difference, it would have to be nicer.. but it is all subjective.. you can no doubt say the TL has way more power, but some people here prefer the interior and/or handling of the TSX. I really wanted a NAV too and the TL with nav was just way too much money. If I had a choice of tsx with nav versus a tl with no nav. I would choose the TSX.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:08 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
TLs are a dime a dozen these days.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
For the price difference, it would have to be nicer.. but it is all subjective.. you can no doubt say the TL has way more power, but some people here prefer the interior and/or handling of the TSX. I really wanted a NAV too and the TL with nav was just way too much money. If I had a choice of tsx with nav versus a tl with no nav. I would choose the TSX.

I had that same choice. I am glad I went with the TSX w/ Navi
Old 02-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

They probably are trying to use it as a promotional tool to get you to step up and spend more money with them. I used to work at Lexus in the old days and that is what they did. Marketing tool.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:32 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by domn
TSX's int > TL's

The interiors are close enough to be considered a push.

If you want a smaller, more nimble car, then TSX > TL.

Otherwise TL > TSX. That's how Acura wants it anyway.

I really want to take out a TL one of these weekends.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Instructor

The interiors are far from close, In my opinion the TL is far better. Do you think they would let me trade in my car for the loaner TL it only has 2.5k miles on it
Old 02-24-2005, 01:06 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by calitsx
The interiors are far from close, In my opinion the TL is far better. Do you think they would let me trade in my car for the loaner TL it only has 2.5k miles on it

Most dealers sell the demo's, obviously not gonna be a even trade though. Plus, you gotta think do you want a car thats has been driven for 2000 mile by god knows how many people. They might have torn that car to pieces. Might be better off looking for a preowned.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Wow, I have the complete opposite opinion.

Different strokes.....
Old 02-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Instructor

2 power seats, better gauges, dvd audio, tape player, xm , heated mirrors, mirros tilt down when you put the car into rerverse, c/f trim, bluetooth, lighted up steering wheel, more room, whats not better?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
2 power seats, better gauges, dvd audio, tape player, xm , heated mirrors, mirros tilt down when you put the car into rerverse, c/f trim, bluetooth, lighted up steering wheel, more room, whats not better?
There's more features but I really prefer the layout and the look of the TSX interior.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:41 AM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the TL's interior is superior as well, but that's not the only thing to compare.

For those who value handling and sporty performance, the TSX > TL.
For those who value comfy, luxuriant ride over sporty, the TL > TSX.
For those who want to stay under $30k for their car, the TSX > TL.
For those who don't want a mid-sized sedan, then TSX > TL.
For those who want/need fold-down rear seats, then TSX > TL.
For those who want straight-line power over nimbleness, then TL > TSX.

etc...

Jon
Old 02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
There's more features but I really prefer the layout and the look of the TSX interior.

Thats what I meant. More does not equal better. The layout and material and build quality in the TSX is a step up IMO.

Of course the TL has more options, it also cost more $$$
Old 02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Drifting

i ride in my brother-in-law's 04 tl just as often as i do in my tsx. i gotta say, the tls are damn fine too. in the end, you're basically getting what you paid for in the difference between the two cars; they are both great values (imo tsx > tl in terms of value). it just depends on which better meets your needs and your budget.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by domn
TSX's int > TL's

How in the world can you possibly justify that statement ???? Give me a list
Old 02-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

did you read the other posts up there I think it's been explained
Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by matelot
did you read the other posts up there I think it's been explained

Did YOU read 'em ... There are TWO different statements.

1. -- For those who value comfy, luxuriant ride over sporty, the TL > TSX.

and

2. -- TSX's int > TL's

----------------
For the record ...

So, again ... I was asking the gentleman who said TSX over TL to justify his statement regarding the interior. How can anyone think the TL's interior is inferior to the TSX ???
Old 02-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Pro

I got a 04 TL non navi loaner today and the interior is ugly compared to my navi TSX IMO. Maybe it didn't help that the car was dirty on the inside and out. The steering was also much looser. My TSX felt a lot tighter, but I could immediately feel the power in the TL. The thing launches out of the gate. In addition, the TL didn't feel as big as I thought it would feel. But I would definitely choose a TSX navi over a TL non navi.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:21 AM
CEO of IMHO

I think the NAVI transforms both vehicles from 'normal' cars to "cars that matter." It seems like Acura, unlike other manu's, design the interior FOR the NAVI, and then figure out how to make it work without NAVI.

As a NAVI owner, I appreciate this approach to design. And it may be why I own an Acura today. I wanted the best NAVI available in the most affordable sports sedan available. You know where that led me...
Old 02-26-2005, 09:23 AM
CEO of IMHO

Acura needs to start believing that people are going to want a car the size and sporty feel of the TSX with the power of a TL.

The light steering of the TL makes it feel heavy and big, and the torque steer on the 6MT really disqualified it as a real sports sedan. I'd love to see a light, 240HP I-6 in a TSX. Oh, that'd be nice.

That said, once at 30MPH, the TSX is quite potent! I even get my back against the seat by downshifting to 4th when taking an exit ramp on the highway. Fun.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I think the NAVI transforms both vehicles from 'normal' cars to "cars that matter." It seems like Acura, unlike other manu's, design the interior FOR the NAVI, and then figure out how to make it work without NAVI.

As a NAVI owner, I appreciate this approach to design. And it may be why I own an Acura today. I wanted the best NAVI available in the most affordable sports sedan available. You know where that led me...

Well said ... In fact, I loabored over the decision of TSX with nav or stock TL no nav ...

Altho, I wish the TSX had a wee bit more power. Just a hair...
Old 02-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jiggaman
TLs are a dime a dozen these days.
That is why you modify them to be unique I see as many TSX on the road as TLs today... if not more..
Old 02-26-2005, 11:47 AM
CLUBBER LANG

Yeah, the TSX deffinately has some torque. I got my 05 nighthawk black w/navi last night. Im loving it. I have to do some mods but when it gets warmer out. Cant wait to go down the shore with it.. lol.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Instructor

I had a TL loaner and couldn't wait to get my TSX back.

I have all polk speakers and found mine > TL

The size, balance, nimbleness is so refreshing in the TSX.
The TSX build quality is better.

The TL front end took bumps too hard. The whole car shuttered.
It's too heavy up front and out of balance. Maybe better shocks would help it.

I took it to work and back one day and could already tell
I couldn't afford the gas.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:33 PM
10th Gear

TSX.... No questions asked

I test drove both cars twice. For the 1st time in my life, money wasn't an issue in my decision, and I wanted to make sure that i wasn't short circuiting in a manner I'd regret later. Yet I kept thinking, How could the less expensive car, from the same manufacturer, be such a clear choice?

The TSX just felt so much more together and tossable. The drivers seat was more comfortable, and I felt it's appearance was more understated and classy, inside and out, in every respect.

And, as most of you know, availability of features do not equal driver satisfaction. If it did the road would be full of Cadillacs....
Old 02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
CEO of IMHO

As much as I like the TL (I really do!), there are some external cosmetic issues that always bothered me:

- Only the black TL looks tight. The rest look very long and family-sedan-ish.
- In any color, the car looks more "plasticy" on the exterior than the TSX. What is "plasticy"? Not quite sure -- but the paint just doesn't look like it's on high quality metal. Can anyone explain to me what I'm talking about here?
- Head-on, it looks more aggressive than the TSX, but from many angles, it looks like it was designed by Americans (ie., looks a bit like an American sports sedan).
- The 'character line' on each side actually looks overdone. At first, I loved it, now it looks forced.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
What I like about the TL is the LED tail lights. I'd love to have those on the TSX. I also think they look more modern. Not that I dislike the tail lights on the TSX, they just look more ordinary.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:18 PM
CEO of IMHO

Oh, there are a lot of great things on the TL that I wish the TSX had, including:

- 260HP
- DVD-Audio capability
- Built-in Bluetooth
- LED tail lights
- Center stack design
- Seats
- V6
- Better 1>2 gear shift action (6MT)
- overall hunkered stance
- memory seats
- Bluetooth integration with NAVI
- 0-60 in < 6 seconds

But my above issues combined with torque-steer effects and Buick-like steering feel made me decide to wait until the SH-AWD or 4th-Gen TL is released. By then, they'll get it right!
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Advanced

I agree with you, JonDeutsch! The TL looks and feels a little overdone--for example the blue instrument lighting, subtle and terrific to my taste in the TSX, is way overdone in the TL--bling-bling. Same with the seats: they are bigger, thicker, and wider, but don't fit me any better. Because the seats are so big and the car was shortened for style, to me the back seat leg room is as good in the TSX. The TL is wider, but I prefer the narrower car for driving the back roads. Ths styling of the TL is Corvette vs. Porsche: it looks styled, not "designed".
Having said all that, I would have bought the TL if it drove like the TSX, but it does indeed feel Buick-like--steering is more remote, and the car feels like it's being forced around corners, rather than the TSX, which feels much more like my previous S2000.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Oh, there are a lot of great things on the TL that I wish the TSX had, including:

- 260HP
- DVD-Audio capability
- Built-in Bluetooth
- LED tail lights
- Center stack design
- Seats
- V6
- Better 1>2 gear shift action (6MT)
- overall hunkered stance
- memory seats
- Bluetooth integration with NAVI
- 0-60 in < 6 seconds

But my above issues combined with torque-steer effects and Buick-like steering feel made me decide to wait until the SH-AWD or 4th-Gen TL is released. By then, they'll get it right!

The problem with all of these things is that this raises the cars cost. And the V6 would be completely inexcusable because it throws the weight balance off completely. Also, I like the TSX center stack far more than the TL center stack.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
CEO of IMHO

I did really like the power of the TL. So rewarding. But with the 6MT, she made you pay for it by ripping the steering wheel out of your hands.

Either the next TL will be SH-AWD and be made close to perfect, or the TSX will get an I6 and be an M3-killer!

Either way, my NBP/Ebony 6MT/NAVI TSX is a wonderful car to keep me happy until Acura steps things up to the next level in the "next gen" vehicles in 3-5 years.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

I did really like the power of the TL. So rewarding. But with the 6MT, she made you pay for it by ripping the steering wheel out of your hands.

Either the next TL will be SH-AWD and be made close to perfect, or the TSX will get an I6 and be an M3-killer!

Either way, my NBP/Ebony 6MT/NAVI TSX is a wonderful car to keep me happy until Acura steps things up to the next level in the "next gen" vehicles in 3-5 years.
Skip thinking about a 6 cylinder...think TURBO!!

Old 02-27-2005, 09:24 PM
CEO of IMHO

Well, a turbo would certaintly solve the balance problem for our favorite FWD sport sedan. But I don't relish putting up with turbo lag. I'd rather put a light I6 in there, and get the torque the instant I press on the gas. Sure, that might mean that we'll need SH-AWD for the TSX. But if Acura owns the best AWD system in the world, then why the heck not put it on the TSX along side the 6?

And don't tell me that it's to differentiate the RL. That's bogus, forced differentiation. How do I know? Because when they eventually roll it out beyond the RL, the 'differentiation' excuse will conveniently vaporize.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Well, a turbo would certaintly solve the balance problem for our favorite FWD sport sedan. But I don't relish putting up with turbo lag. I'd rather put a light I6 in there, and get the torque the instant I press on the gas. Sure, that might mean that we'll need SH-AWD for the TSX. But if Acura owns the best AWD system in the world, then why the heck not put it on the TSX along side the 6?

And don't tell me that it's to differentiate the RL. That's bogus, forced differentiation. How do I know? Because when they eventually roll it out beyond the RL, the 'differentiation' excuse will conveniently vaporize.
nah...the size alone is enough to differentiate the TSX from the RL...

As for the turbo lag, Honda is an engine company and turbo lag would likely be engineered to a minimum. Plus, there has been talk that Honda will be using direct injection in the next generation of I4 engines, which will give a good boost to bottom end torque. As for the AWD, I would settle for and LSD. AWD would be nice, but I don't see it as being a necessity in the TSX, though if they made it available as an option, I'm sure there would be plenty of buyers.

Quick Reply: Got an 05 TL for a loaner