Good trade? Accord for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 PM
CG5 in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good trade? Accord for TSX

I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX-L sedan 4-cyl, 176k all original. New paint (full body) last summer 2012. Besides a flex pipe and maybe a catalytic converter (already bought), the car needs nothing else.

Someone wants my car + $2500 for their 04 TSX non-nav 6MT w/tech package, 209k body, 87k engine. Some body work seems to have been done on the pass rear door/quarter panel that existed before his ownership. The door sill is a bit wavy, and the trunk lid bottom doesn't line up perfectly on that side. Some scratches/nicks here and there, and a recent scrape on the front bumper. The rear deck was cut for 4 speakers which he took out and returned to stock, but the cut metal still exists.

A CEL is on that he claims is for the air filter, which I have never heard of in my life (an air filter setting off a CEL, but what do I know, I have an old ass accord).

He wants an auto car, I want a manual. Seems like a decent upgrade for me and he gets what he wants. Question is, do you all think its good for me? And are there any issues or things I should look out for/check upon a second look at the car? He seems to be getting a lot of hits so I wanna make a decision fairl soon.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM
CG5 in

Oh and I have a rotora bbk and 18" wheels I'd be transferring to the TSX (confirmed compatibility).
Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismode
I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX-L sedan 4-cyl, 176k all original. New paint (full body) last summer 2012. Besides a flex pipe and maybe a catalytic converter (already bought), the car needs nothing else.

Someone wants my car + $2500 for their 04 TSX non-nav 6MT w/tech package, 209k body, 87k engine. Some body work seems to have been done on the pass rear door/quarter panel that existed before his ownership. The door sill is a bit wavy, and the trunk lid bottom doesn't line up perfectly on that side. Some scratches/nicks here and there, and a recent scrape on the front bumper. The rear deck was cut for 4 speakers which he took out and returned to stock, but the cut metal still exists.

A CEL is on that he claims is for the air filter, which I have never heard of in my life (an air filter setting off a CEL, but what do I know, I have an old ass accord).

He wants an auto car, I want a manual. Seems like a decent upgrade for me and he gets what he wants. Question is, do you all think its good for me? And are there any issues or things I should look out for/check upon a second look at the car? He seems to be getting a lot of hits so I wanna make a decision fairl soon.
This is a difficult situation to lend advice to. To be blunt, you'd be trading one old shitbox for another old shitbox. At least it sounds like your present ride has few or none of the issues that the TSX would carry with it (though the TSX may need a converter too). To look at this deal piece by piece, lets start with the car itself. There was no "tech package" for the first gen TSX (04-08), so I'm not sure what he's trying to sell there. Nav was the only available upgrade, and you say the car doesn't have that (which is a good thing based on the age of the car). I suppose we can assume that the clutch has 87K miles on it too, like the engine, so that may not be too bad (based on what I've read here), but you should pay attention to how it shifts. Synchro's are not immune to being an issue with these cars, especially 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. How much of an issue the body work is would be up to you to decide. The few related things that you mentioned that are not right would tend to indicate unresolved frame/unibody damage to me, but that's just my opinion (the door sill and trunk lid are clues to perhaps something larger). The rear deck issue is a done deal, so I'd probably just stick some big speakers back in there and enjoy it. I'd insist on correcting (or at least actually diagnosing) the CEL issue. Could be a cheap fix, could be expensive. I'd find out. Bottom line is, you decide.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM
CG5 in

Clutch was recently done, and I was guessing about the tech packages, it has a 6-cd unit. So I guess that was standard. My mistake.

I've just been putting way too much into my Accord and want to move on from it before it really tanks in resale value. I've been getting lowball offers of $2k and under for it, and while I know I won't get a lot for it, I was looking around $3k for it, and I know I won't get that, so I thought this trade was decent.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 AM
CG5 in

And what do you mean by converter on the TSX?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nismode
And what do you mean by converter on the TSX?
The catalytic converter.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Cruisin'

CEL because air filter? Maybe a loose hose? But again, it could be a big issue or small.