Goo....green or yellowish goo....sticky

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goo....green or yellowish goo....sticky

hello all. it's a newwwwbie. ok first, i did a search and couldn't find the word "goo", "green or yellow goo", or "sticky goo" in the forum. so please don't get mad if this has been answered before us girls do want to follow the rules in here.

ok....here goes....drove my car all day and didn't notice this until i came home from work. on the passenger side floor mat (by the way, i bought the all weather rubber mats from acura), there was this liquid. it is NOT water but some other substance (thicker than water). i didn't notice it this morning and NO ONE was riding with me the whole day (no one has sat on the passenger's side the past week).

it cleaned up easily but i'm just worried it's a leak from somewhere. is there anything under the glove compartment that is a thick liquid substance? i have been running the ac since the weather was hot the past few days (could that be the problem?). what do you all think this is? i wish i took a pic now....but it would have probably made it look like it was water (and it's not). it's a thick yellowish/greenish goo. let's say it's a consistency of jello when it's almost hard.

from michelle aka tsexy_grl
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Check your cabin filter.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 PM
10th Gear

wow after reading that i remembered the first time i vacumed my tl i found some yellow goo..ish? stuff in my carpet on the passenger side. It came out real easy i just didn't know what it was...what does it have to do with the cabin filters? type of lubricant they use?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PACman
Check your cabin filter.
ok. how do i do that? what is the goo anyway? is it something that is like an adhesive? so it's bad then when it's leaking, right? do i have to refill it? please elaborate.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Do you have any liquid in your glove box?? The cabin filter is easy to get to and check. It's a dry filter but something may have been caught in it. The instructions for getting to the filter is in the owners manual.

BTW, welcome to AZ
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Do you have any liquid in your glove box?? The cabin filter is easy to get to and check. It's a dry filter but something may have been caught in it. The instructions for getting to the filter is in the owners manual.

BTW, welcome to AZ
ok thank you. no liquid in the glove box. just my manual and that's it. i have no idea what could be caught on it. i even checked underneath the glove box and nothing seems to be wet or sticky or even look like a goo.

so i'm so confused. i just don't want this to cause any damage. would it? has anyone else experienced something like this?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Would you be able to take a picture of this 'goo', then upload it so we can see. Perhaps this would give up an idea.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:53 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Would you be able to take a picture of this 'goo', then upload it so we can see. Perhaps this would give up an idea.
Sorry to be harsh on you, but just because you know how to read doesn't mean you've yet mastered the art of understanding what you've just read. I suggest you re-read one of her post where it mentioned that she WISHED SHE HAD TAKEN A PICUTURE of the goo... and since she's already cleaned it up, there's nothing to take a picture of <<--- implied and should be understood from reading that...

I know, I know, after having said that, I probably misread something she said... it always happens to me, like for example, I get annoyed at seeing so many misspellings (not mistyped - you can tell if the author keeps 'mistyping' over and over again) and calls out on the author, and then someone advertently points out my own foibles.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cestmoi
Sorry to be harsh on you, but just because you know how to read doesn't mean you've yet mastered the art of understanding what you've just read. I suggest you re-read one of her post where it mentioned that she WISHED SHE HAD TAKEN A PICUTURE of the goo... and since she's already cleaned it up, there's nothing to take a picture of <<--- implied and should be understood from reading that...

I know, I know, after having said that, I probably misread something she said... it always happens to me, like for example, I get annoyed at seeing so many misspellings (not mistyped - you can tell if the author keeps 'mistyping' over and over again) and calls out on the author, and then someone advertently points out my own foibles.

:smitler:
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, you said "foibles".

Old 05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, inside the glove compartment.. all I see are a bunch of wires and the filter.. the filter doesn't look like theres any liquid associated with it.... it's just a plastic frame holding the paper filter.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Hail Hail

Maybe you sneezed a big one?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced

sorry no pic....best way to describe it is that it has the consitency of hair gel. does that help? what could it be?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VorteC
Well, inside the glove compartment.. all I see are a bunch of wires and the filter.. the filter doesn't look like theres any liquid associated with it.... it's just a plastic frame holding the paper filter.
why did you look? you had a similar problem?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 AM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked because I had to take out the cabin air filter to check how dirty it was and if it needed replacement or not. It's a fairly easy task to open up the glove compartment. Check pg 280 of your manual.. maybe if you look in there you can find your problem.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Instructor

I have seen this before...

in my case it was water from the evaporator ( the drain tube was loose ) when the water reacted with the all season mats it turned a yellowish green color. we cleaned it up the same day, in your case it may have been there a few days and thickened up some.

i dunno

if you dont believe me go put some water on your all season mats and see what happenes.....
Old 05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ACURATECHTX

in my case it was water from the evaporator ( the drain tube was loose ) when the water reacted with the all season mats it turned a yellowish green color. we cleaned it up the same day, in your case it may have been there a few days and thickened up some.

i dunno

if you dont believe me go put some water on your all season mats and see what happenes.....
ok, how do i find the drain tube? how do i know if it's loose? take it to the dealer or can i do it myself?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Instructor

the drain tube is at the bottom and behind the evap case which is under the glove box it is a little hard to see turn the a/c on an see if and were it leaks if you cant find the leak take it to service
Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ACURATECHTX

i dunno

Water reacts with the rubber mats and creates a goo? Since when did the "all season" (e.g. rainwater, snow, etc) mats become biodegradeable or water soluable??

Perhaps there's something on the surface of the mats that's meant to be rinsed off before use??
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Yesterday I filled my car up with gas for the very first time and found the same gooey stuff inside around the gas cap area.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor

no it is a type of coating on new mats that reacts with water. its harmless...... i hope

as far as finding it in your gas tank ....................... uhhhhhuhhhh