German's are better.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:23 AM
Houston we have a problem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German's are better.

The title of this will probably drive someone crazy. What I really wanna say is Germany's stretches of Autobahn are better. NO SPEED LIMIT!!! Just got my first ever speeding ticket...

Anyways, fed up with some people on this site. They force feed you with their preference of TSX. Can't we even mention other cars here?

My strongest experience just came from "Santacruz". I just mentioned Audi A4 and he went all crazy and offensive...geez, I like TSX as much as you like it man...wtf...just giving my opinions on different cars.

Thus, that's it. Will never be here any longer.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Racer

I know that there are many people who is quite short on temper, blindingly ignorant, refuse to believe in pure facts, or just is a plain idiot however i still think this is a great forum. I think there has been some misunderstanding though. You can ignore anyone you wish, however i believe there are enough smart and very good advices so that one would stay. It is a shame to see you go.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:42 AM

Anyways, fed up with some people on this site. They force feed you with their preference of TSX. Can't we even mention other cars here

lol welcome to my world dude.i was talking about this last week.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Registered AssHat

Actually most stetches of the German Autobahn have speed limits now.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I think you find three types of people here: 1) those who defend the superiority of the TSX at all costs, 2) those who support the superiority of German cars at all costs, 3) those who can look at both sides of the issue. There are enough of that third type of a-tsx.com'rs to keep it interesting for me. When I go to any one of a number of sites for other cars, I appreciate this one more because I find less objective people there.

Type #2 people here don't make sense to me. Maybe mommy and daddy didn't give them enough attention. I find type #1 people less annoying, probably because I share their bias to an extent, but I don't usually agree with them.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Re: German's are better.

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
The title of this will probably drive someone crazy. What I really wanna say is Germany's stretches of Autobahn are better. NO SPEED LIMIT!!! Just got my first ever speeding ticket...
I would venture to suggest that living here in Central Texas, I get more opportunities to go at high speeds than most Germans. Many stretches of Autobahn now have extremely strict speed limits.

Why is Texas better in this regard? Many roads have speed limits of 65 or 70, often these limits are lightly/barely enforced, there's no automatic assumption of reckless (in VA, 20 over or 80 on the Interstate is automatic reckless), and they offer defensive driving and deferred adjudication pretty readily to get out of the ticket.

That's not to say you don't get tickets - but frankly if you're going 50 in a 35 or whatever you should get a ticket. I'm talking about faster roads with minimal traffic. Without wishing to incriminate myself I would mention that I have been on group drives where the Vmax gets well into 3 figures (on deserted Texas country roads).

C.

PS If you don't like the "blindly TSX loving" nature of the board, then you'd be better off staying and working to redress the balance than leaving and making it worse.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Re: German's are better.

Originally posted by chrisalberts
I would venture to suggest that living here in Central Texas, I get more opportunities to go at high speeds than most Germans. Many stretches of Autobahn now have extremely strict speed limits.

Why is Texas better in this regard? Many roads have speed limits of 65 or 70, often these limits are lightly/barely enforced, there's no automatic assumption of reckless (in VA, 20 over or 80 on the Interstate is automatic reckless), and they offer defensive driving and deferred adjudication pretty readily to get out of the ticket.

That's not to say you don't get tickets - but frankly if you're going 50 in a 35 or whatever you should get a ticket. I'm talking about faster roads with minimal traffic. Without wishing to incriminate myself I would mention that I have been on group drives where the Vmax gets well into 3 figures (on deserted Texas country roads).

C.

PS If you don't like the "blindly TSX loving" nature of the board, then you'd be better off staying and working to redress the balance than leaving and making it worse.
All of it. My feelings exactly. And yes, I am short tempered. Moderate me!
Old 08-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Racer

My strongest experience just came from "Santacruz". I just mentioned Audi A4 and he went all crazy and offensive...geez, I like TSX as much as you like it man...wtf...just giving my opinions on different cars.
Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt (not to mention a brand new 9-3!)
Old 08-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the 9-3 treating you? Hmm. Guess this would be off topic - have you posted in the offtopic type forum about your likes and dislikes about your new car?

as for this thread, i'm with jcg878... the typical attitude of the #2 category (there are DEFINTE exceptions to this, but they are still exceptions - alternatively, maybe i just haven't found the right boards though i've searched and searched) is "German cars are rated by the press as superior, therefore no other car can rival them. And because my car is superior, I am superior to you as well so don't even bother posting how your car is as good in many regards for a lot less money." Fortunately, there are only a few of these people on this board.

as for the actual topic of this thread (i think i'm working backwards here), in WA state there's not a lot of highway where you don't run the risk of getting a ticket. The best bet is probably the northeast corner of the state. Alternatively, a good radar detector and knowing where cops hang out along I-90 works pretty well, but there's often too much traffic.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Instructor

The autobahn in many places is so bloody packed with cars that you can forget about going anywhere!!!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Cruisin'

In where I live, everywhere, there's a sign attached to lamp post in which it says, "Speed Kills". Speeding received huge media after several street racing accidents occurred in less than two years. And speeding and street racing are severely strictly enforced. So there's even less chance to drive fast than WA, not to mention very few highways in the lower mainland, in which most of them are jammed with cars everyday (esp during the rush hour).

Lucky TX people........
Old 08-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Sir Henry
Lucky TX people........
There have to be some compensations

The thing I like is that in most cases the officers don't seem to be all preachy about speed. I got stopped for 97 in a 70 in my wife's car last year and he gave me a ticket, but no lecture (ticket was dismissed through deferred adjudication). Also on the main road near my neighborhood, you can be whizzing along at 75-80 and see a county sherrif coming the other way and they don't do anything.

On one of the aforementioned group drives there were about 30 BMWs (mostly M3s, M Coupes) and we flew by a motorcycle cop at about 80 in a 70 and as I (mid pack) got to him I looked over and he was just shaking his head.

C.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Banned

OF course people here think the TSX is better than the A4... OR ELSE THEY WOULD HAVE BOUGHT AN A4.

This is analagous to going to Palestine... trying to tell them how Israel is the greatest... and then accuse them of ignorance and closed-mindedness when they disagree.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by chrisalberts
...That's not to say you don't get tickets - but frankly if you're going 50 in a 35 or whatever you should get a ticket. I'm talking about faster roads with minimal traffic....

Yes...unfortunately, I am the guy who did 49 on 35mph road....it's a nice stretch of twisties with light traffic though...

And Yes (weep...) Autobahn still has a lot of places with speed limits, and is getting crowded...

I lived in TX too...in fact, the fastest I went here is 130mph on long stretch of empty freeway...(not anymore, getting old for things like that)

Still...

Anyone from around south/central TX that knows some interesting roads to drive? Preferably twisties?

Hmm...also, anybody from Colorado? I would say, people there is blessed with tons of twisties -- well paved one at that -- and lots of buffer for mistakes too. AND, in my two week stay, I didn't even see anybody being pulled over!!
Old 08-24-2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Crazytree
OF course people here think the TSX is better than the A4... OR ELSE THEY WOULD HAVE BOUGHT AN A4.

This is analagous to going to Palestine... trying to tell them how Israel is the greatest... and then accuse them of ignorance and closed-mindedness when they disagree.
Well...which car then, in your opinion, is better than TSX? Are there any? and what make it so?
Old 08-24-2003, 05:18 PM

Oh, btw, I just wanna be objective, and present the fact. I am not trying to convince people here that TSX is not a good car. (Again, I am gonna say (sigh...) , I DO OWN A TSX MYSELF.)
Old 08-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Racer

Anyways, fed up with some people on this site. They force feed you with their preference of TSX. Can't we even mention other cars here?

dude stop :'(

In another thread you mentioned that the A4 was a better deal in cost comparison to the TSX and I disagreed. So what! Big deal! Guess what, I'm not alone in my disagreement with your opinion of the A4 being a better choice. You really should see a doctor about your emotional instability and hypersensativity. Do you expect everyone here to agree with you?? If you do you're in the wrong place, your mother ain't here!
Old 08-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Racer

Crazytree
Old 08-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by finalheaven
I know that there are many people who is quite short on temper, blindingly ignorant, refuse to believe in pure facts, or just is a plain idiot however i still think this is a great forum. I think there has been some misunderstanding though. You can ignore anyone you wish, however i believe there are enough smart and very good advices so that one would stay. It is a shame to see you go.

FH?
Old 08-24-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Santacruz
dude stop :'(

In another thread you mentioned that the A4 was a better deal in cost comparison to the TSX and I disagreed. So what! Big deal! Guess what, I'm not alone in my disagreement with your opinion of the A4 being a better choice. You really should see a doctor about your emotional instability and hypersensativity. Do you expect everyone here to agree with you?? If you do you're in the wrong place, your mother ain't here!
First off, dude, look at the words that you use. You make it so personal and provocative. I believe anybody would have kicked your backside provided a chance. I am talking about cars, not you. And then again, look at your last line. WTF, I looked at you other posts to other people too, you're just plain provocative. Feels like you just wanna piss people off, or maybe you're by nature an ars'ole.

As for:

Do you expect everyone here to agree with you?? If you do
you're in the wrong place, your mother ain't here!
It really proves that you DID NOT get my point. I will save it this time, I don't think you want to get it anyways. Maybe you should ask your mom, she may be able to explain it in a fashion that even you would understand. (Or she may have already burst a vein or two trying to explain stuff to her young ignorant child?)

Old 08-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: German's are better.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TSXautoXer
[B]
First off, dude, look at the words that you use. You make it so personal and provocative. I believe anybody would have kicked your backside provided a chance. I am talking about cars, not you.
What?? What is this if it's not personal??

My strongest experience just came from "Santacruz". I just mentioned Audi A4 and he went all crazy and offensive...geez.
or

Maybe you should ask your mom, she may be able to explain it in a fashion that even you would understand. (Or she may have already burst a vein or two trying to explain stuff to her young ignorant child?)
I'm not going to continue this stupid discussion with you. I just finished reading another thread where you got all defensive on Larch because he asked FH a question and you thought he was insulting you. I think, and I'm really not trying to be insulting here, but I think that you're being a bit sensative.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Banned

Well...which car then, in your opinion, is better than TSX? Are there any? and what make it so?
In the price range / class... the TSX takes the cake.

Want to spend more/less money for a more sportier/comfortable ride? Well then that alters the equation.

Example:

Which would you choose:

1. Porshce 911 Convertible
2. TSX + $60,000 in cash?

WWJD?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Racer

a4

Traveled on Autobahn from Munich to Swiss earlier this summer. There were sections with reduced speed (100km/hr) but most of it was without limit. I averaged 160km/hr (~1oomph) but went as high as 185kph (~120-125 mph) in a rented A4 with 6 speed and turbo diesel. It was an awesome car. No sunroof or leather, but beautiful neveretheless. Got passed at 180 by Porsche and MB that had to be doing 250 kph. Diesel was incredibly fuel efficient (kind of like inverse of Hummer2). It was roomy car but could get 1150km on a tankful! That said, I have a TSX on order no regrets.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Banned

I saw this special on the History Channel about this company called "RUF" that customizes 911's in Germany. Before the car gets shipped they have to certify the top speed.

With a camera crew of 3 in the car... the driver got the Porshe up to 227MPH. It was insane.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: German's are better.

Originally posted by Santacruz
What?? What is this if it's not personal??

or

I'm not going to continue this stupid discussion with you. I just finished reading another thread where you got all defensive on Larch because he asked FH a question and you thought he was insulting you. I think, and I'm really not trying to be insulting here, but I think that you're being a bit sensative.
Whatever. However, if you would've say your comments in a milder manner, things will be differently. I admit I am overly sensitive on larchmont. That's due to "FH" in my community means something else. I misunderstood that and I did apologize. For you, if you would say things like you do now, hah, I wouldn't have mind, and would like to continue a friendly discussion with you. But guess that's not your style. You would say "You must be high if you think A4 has better midrange", rather than just "I think TSX has better midrange than A4" All in all, I did not say a word about A4 being better in cost comparison. I just present the fact. The thread starter has the final call. That's my style, that's my job as well -- a consultant.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:31 PM

BTW, I do recommend TSX very much. If you think otherwise, read this thread.

Now did you get my point?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:34 PM

In the price range / class... the TSX takes the cake.

Want to spend more/less money for a more sportier/comfortable ride? Well then that alters the equation.

Example:

Which would you choose:

1. Porshce 911 Convertible
2. TSX + $60,000 in cash?

WWJD?
Okay, I see your stand point. What's WWJD?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bye.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:01 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: German's are better.

That's due to "FH" in my community means something else. I misunderstood that and I did apologize.
Which community is this?

This is an honest question --- I think I know what you mean by "FH", but I've never seen it used that way.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Banned

WWJD - what would Jesus do?

I always wondered what kind of car Jesus would drive if he was around today... I would think he would tool around in a VW bus... but my gf is convinced that he would have a Ferrari. I find that there are good arguments to support both hypotheses.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Do you think that the Autobahns without speed limits are safer? Have you seen pictures of high speed accidents on the Autobahn?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Brad
Do you think that the Autobahns without speed limits are safer? Have you seen pictures of high speed accidents on the Autobahn?
True, they are deadlier, but they are also a lot rarer, because people are educated in order to drive at high speeds. And their highways are built accordingly also.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Brad
Maybe the original poster doesn't equate safer with better

Generally danger comes from speed differential, not absolute speed, so 90 in a 35 (where most cars are doing 40) is horribly dangerous, while 120 where most cars are doing 90 would be less so.

The speed differential does lead to some nasty crashes on the Autobahn, but the lack of speed limit also leads to much more rapid cross country travel.

C. <-- in favor of minimum speed limits as well as maximum
Old 08-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Über Geek

Here's some perspective on the German roads and drivers.

The Autobahns were originally built (smooth and wide) as a troop and tank transport system during WWII. Typical, if not lethal, German efficiency in action.

Here in the States, our driver license process involves a simple multiple choice test and one rudimentary 8-minute driving test.

In Germany, getting a driver's license involves a SERIES of driving tests over the course of TWO DAYS. Guess who has better drivers?
Old 08-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Über Geek

TSXautoXer:
I'm curious about what your "community" is too. Some of your posts make me think English isn't your first language. That's not meant as insult. Really. I can barely handle my ONE language.

I wonder if that makes you seem overly sensitive.

For instance, your subject "German's are better" is a little confusing. It sounds like you mean German people. Or that something belonging TO a certain German is better.

"German roads are better" would be much clearer (and grammatically correct). Or even just "Germany’s are better" works and creates a little mystery.

Stay on the site. Ignore the personal attacks and argue the true car stuff to the bitter end. That’s why we’re all here.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Racer

My name is bad to the bone.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro

I respectfully agree that German cars are not better. I just don't see it. Granted they have some very awesome driving machines. I don't think anything can compete with the 7-series as of yet; Lexus?
Old 08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
More On

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: German's are better.

Originally posted by dnb
Which community is this?

This is an honest question --- I think I know what you mean by "FH", but I've never seen it used that way.
And I have no idea.

I could guess, but I really don't know.

The most important thing about this: Hey, finalheaven! -- Should I stop saying "FH"???

(Dunno, maybe it's his community too!)
Old 08-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Racer

Autobahn has a lower death rate than American interstates - for as variety of reasons:

1) superbly engineered and built;

2) driver's obey lane discipline rules - if you're not passing, you'erin the right lane dude. Try tht in the USA or Canada where gumbies and truckers clog everything up, thereby getting people riled who then make stupid decisions.

3) Autobahn has a few rules which I find interesting: no tailgating whatsoever. 2) No shooting the finger to said gumbies who are otherwise worthy of the salute. Doing either will cost you big time.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by zircon
Autobahn has a lower death rate than American interstates - for as variety of reasons:

2) driver's obey lane discipline rules - if you're not passing, you'erin the right lane dude. Try tht in the USA or Canada where gumbies and truckers clog everything up, thereby getting people riled who then make stupid decisions.

3) Autobahn has a few rules which I find interesting: no tailgating whatsoever. 2) No shooting the finger to said gumbies who are otherwise worthy of the salute. Doing either will cost you big time.
The Germans also apparently have regulations about merging lanes. You are supposed to do the "zipper merge". That is, each car in the two merging lanes must alternately merge--like a zipper. In extreme contrast, in California at least, we often have "Do Not Pass" signs on the highways where lanes merge, but idiots routinely ignore that and do all they can to get to the front, then brake, and then cause everyone else to brake more, and so on. Perhaps the term idiots is too polite?

Quick Reply: German's are better.