gas overfill..AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 01:12 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gas overfill..AGAIN

A few weeks ago I posted about how I was filling up and the gas tank overfilled and pured all over the car and ground. Well guess what, it happened again. I probably filled up a thousand tanks in my old car, and never once had this happen. Now this is already the second time in my TSX.

I was still feeling a bit paranoid as I filled up tonight, so really let off the nozzle towards the top of the tank. I was lettting it in real slowly..and I think thats where the problem comes in. There isnt enough pressure build up and the nozzle doesnt click off. I dont know if this is a problem in all cars, or just the TSX. Or maybe even just my TSX. Now sure what..if anything I can do about this.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TSX. HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE TSX. LONG LIVE THE TSX.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Advanced

gotta agree. With the TSX, when the pump stops, dont try and top it up, and you will have no more problems.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

I've had it happen to me three times. I read somewhere on one of the two TSX forums I frequent that it was a known problem with a specific type of pump. I had read that Costco was the main consumer of said pump mechanism but, for the record, the last time it happend to me, I was at a Chevron in Madison, Georgia. I fill up regularly at Shell and Chevron and I must admit, all three times were at a Chevron station. Perhaps there is some truth behind the pump theory. At any rate, I don't know that there is anything we're going to be able to do about it unless it's an Acura problem and they release some sort of fix for the neck of the fuel tank. As far as the paranoid feeling you get on the last gallon or two of a fill up, I'm right there with you!
Old 01-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Intermediate

Falco,

If the same thing happens to FDL that happens to me, the pump doesn't stop at all. It just starts pouring out onto the ground and you have to stop it yourself. When I was filling up earlier this week, it was 20 degrees outside and I used the little tab to keep the pump running unattended so I could keep my hadns in my pockets. (I know, I know. I'm a Florida guy and can't take anything below 60!) I heard the gas, then I turned and saw the gas before I even had my hands out of my coat pocket to grab the nozzle to stop it. It was not a very good feeling. When your car is pissing all over itself in a crowded gas station, it's a little embarassing!
Old 01-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Racer

Wow, I've never had that or heard of it. How many have experienced this?
Old 01-11-2004, 09:55 AM
YBA
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry to hear that... The only advice I can tell you is that when you fill up, pay attention to the noise of the gas moving in the tank. When the car get near the full tank, you can hear the gas bottlenecking at the top of the tank. When you hear this, slow down the pace or stop for a second.

I never let the gas pump disengage by itself on the first run. I stop near the full capacity and let the gas sit for a second. Then I start back filling up slowly until you get a click or until the noise gets louder.

It will take somes extra seconds but it will avoid spreading some gas on that beautifull car you have...

Regards

Luc
Old 01-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Kick Ass Duke

or...look at how many gallons you're pumping. right when the fuel light comes on it takes about 14 gallons to fill it up.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Audi Driving Snob

I've never had it happen either after 9+ months of fillups.. Maybe a poll is in order FDL?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by lgregoir
I'm sorry to hear that... The only advice I can tell you is that when you fill up, pay attention to the noise of the gas moving in the tank. When the car get near the full tank, you can hear the gas bottlenecking at the top of the tank. When you hear this, slow down the pace or stop for a second.
Ya..i can hear when the tank is near full, but having to do this every time I fill up does not sit well with me. What if I am at a full service gas station?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

the pumps at all the gas stations around here make a loud clicking noise you cant miss when it gets anywhere near the top, i have even topped off and never had overflow, THIS IS DEFINETLY NOT A TSX ISSUE, ITS A "YOU" ISSUE.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had it happen to me once. Since then, I've been going to a different station and no overflow.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by NJJUSTIN
THIS IS DEFINETLY NOT A TSX ISSUE, ITS A "YOU" ISSUE.
Thats quite a strong statement to make ...especially in caps. It may not be a TSX issue...but I wouldnt say anythign is definite right now.

If it was definately a "ME" issue then woldnt it have happened before in my life? I have been driving for over 10 years...never had a problem. I've had my TSX for 6 months and its happened twice. Plus as you can see there are others who have had this problem. It could be a certain type of pump that exploits it..not sure.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by fdl
Thats quite a strong statement to make ...especially in caps. It may not be a TSX issue...but I wouldnt say anythign is definite right now.

If it was definately a "ME" issue then woldnt it have happened before in my life? I have been driving for over 10 years...never had a problem. I've had my TSX for 6 months and its happened twice. Plus as you can see there are others who have had this problem. It could be a certain type of pump that exploits it..not sure.
LOL...ooooooooh i forgot caps on the interenet means im yelling....who gives a shit, im just sick of hearing every stupid little thing blaimed on the tsx , i have had mine since april (9 months about), i dont have any rattles , gas isnt leaking all over the highway, my car hasnt exploded, doors havent fell off, brakes havent failed, NOTHING....you people either have bad luck or are just paranoid, now if that statement is too strong...I DONT GIVE A #$%^
Old 01-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned

GEE... 5000MI AND OVERFILL FREE HERE. MAYBE IT HAS TO DO WITH YOUR AGGRESSIVE DRIVING STYLE.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:54 PM
bleh...

It hasn't happened to me on my three cars.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:22 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

LOL...ooooooooh i forgot caps on the interenet means im yelling....who gives a shit, im just sick of hearing every stupid little thing blaimed on the tsx , i have had mine since april (9 months about), i dont have any rattles , gas isnt leaking all over the highway, my car hasnt exploded, doors havent fell off, brakes havent failed, NOTHING....you people either have bad luck or are just paranoid, now if that statement is too strong...I DONT GIVE A #$%^
You dont even sound old enough to drive.

In any case ... I never blamed anything on the TSX. I am simplying asking a question to see if there may be a problem with the TSX, or perhaps just my TSX. Why dont you re-read my post. I have not CONCLUDED anything. But the fact that this has never happened to me in 12 years of driving, and suddenly happens twice in 6 months with my new car I think is very good reason to question if something is wrong. You are not the one who has to now be worried on every fill up, I do .. .and the others who have this problem.

And just because your car doesnt have a problem, doesnt mean everyone doesnt have a problem. Its funny you bring up rattles, since our rattle survey show that a very large amount of TSX owners are sufffering from these rattles. I guess they all just have "bad luck" or are "paranoid".

The TSX is a new design, and definately has bugs that need to be worked out. There are people on here with legitimate problems that are looking for some help or advice, and if you cant deal with that then keep it to yourself.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by fdl

In any case ... I never blamed anything on the TSX. I am simplying asking a question to see if there may be a problem with the TSX, or perhaps just my TSX. Why dont you re-read my post. I have not CONCLUDED anything. But the fact that this has never happened to me in 12 years of driving, and suddenly happens twice in 6 months with my new car I think is very good reason to question if something is wrong. You are not the one who has to now be worried on every fill up, I do .. .and the others who have this problem.

And just because your car doesnt have a problem, doesnt mean everyone doesnt have a problem. Its funny you bring up rattles, since our rattle survey show that a very large amount of TSX owners are sufffering from these rattles. I guess they all just have "bad luck" or are "paranoid".

The TSX is a new design, and definately has bugs that need to be worked out. There are people on here with legitimate problems that are looking for some help or advice, and if you cant deal with that then keep it to yourself.
Gas station overfills are 95% of the time a station fault and not a fault with the car.

As has been discussed here ad nausem gas stations have vapor recovery lines. When idiots keep topping off their tanks those lines get filled with gas instead of being clear for air to return to the pump. Once the line is "water"logged the pump can't measure the change in air pressure to tell it when to click off. There is a whole thread on this and even links to How it Works.

The reason you haven't had it for 12 years and are starting to see it now, is probably because more stations are converting to the vapor recovery nozzles and systems.

If you still think the overfills are a fault of your TSX then I guess you'd have to have them look at your vapor recovery systems.

If you have to be worried at every fill up you have other issues. You should never just start filling a car and walk away. Change gas stations. Try different pumps. It's really not that big of an issue.

In the 18 years I have had cars it has happened twice to me - both times I had the pump on manual mode and was not paying attention or I was so trying to round off my fuel purchase to a whole dollar amount that I crammed and crammed until gas came pouring out.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:52 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by stevestr

If you still think the overfills are a fault of your TSX then I guess you'd have to have them look at your vapor recovery systems.

If you have to be worried at every fill up you have other issues. You should never just start filling a car and walk away. Change gas stations. Try different pumps. It's really not that big of an issue.

In the 18 years I have had cars it has happened twice to me - both times I had the pump on manual mode and was not paying attention or I was so trying to round off my fuel purchase to a whole dollar amount that I crammed and crammed until gas came pouring out.
I dont think you understand. I am not filling and walking away .. nor am I "cramming" anything into the tank. I am standing there with my hand on the nozzle. I watch the amount that goes in and when i know i am near the top of the tank i even ease off on the nozzle and wait for it to click off. I never try to add more gas after this point. This is the same way I have always done it.

Also these 2 incidents were at 2 different gas stations.

After the first time it happened, I convinced myself it was a fluke thing, and probably the fault of the pump. Now its happened again...and perhaps I can assume its the same issue, although I find it interesting that there are others who have had the same problem.

If it happens a 3rd time, you can bet I will be on here again to tell you all about it
Old 01-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by fdl

actually im 23 yrs old....sorry i dont take everything as serious as you, i guess you have to be boring and serious to be a "moderator",,,but anyway i just was annoyed becuase i dont see how it could possible be the tsx's fault , im sure it doesnt take a rocket scientist to design a gas tank that gasoline doesnt pour out of. Whats happening is obviously a problem with the pump at those particular gas stations. Also i dont have to keep anything to myself , this is a discussion board and i will speak my mind freely, have a nice day.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Racer

Let's distinguish between people who overfill on top-off (i.e. not the first time; it shut off automatically without spill the first time) and people who overfill on the first time.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by fdl
I dont think you understand. I am not filling and walking away .. nor am I "cramming" anything into the tank. I am standing there with my hand on the nozzle. I watch the amount that goes in and when i know i am near the top of the tank i even ease off on the nozzle and wait for it to click off. I never try to add more gas after this point. This is the same way I have always done it.

Also these 2 incidents were at 2 different gas stations.

After the first time it happened, I convinced myself it was a fluke thing, and probably the fault of the pump. Now its happened again...and perhaps I can assume its the same issue, although I find it interesting that there are others who have had the same problem.

If it happens a 3rd time, you can bet I will be on here again to tell you all about it
Interesting... I have never had this happen. Which gas stations were these? I don't really pay any special attention. I tend to slow down the gas too when I think it's about near the top. But I've only filled up probably about 10 times, so maybe it has yet to happen. Try to get it more repeatable, but I would suggest you take it in and ask professionals... maybe it's a defect they can fix.

I've noticed that I never see those little levers any more (in Toronto at least) that let you let go of the handle. Why is that? They used to have them here. I know they still have them in California at least.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

actually im 23 yrs old....sorry i dont take everything as serious as you, i guess you have to be boring and serious to be a "moderator",,,but anyway i just was annoyed becuase i dont see how it could possible be the tsx's fault , im sure it doesnt take a rocket scientist to design a gas tank that gasoline doesnt pour out of. Whats happening is obviously a problem with the pump at those particular gas stations.
Oh yes...i am very boring and serious. Sorry my thread is not "fun" enough for you. Trying to resolve a problem with my car is serious, and not boring to me or others with the problem. you may be 23, but you continue to act like you are 16.

Perhaps you are just too immature for this discussion, or maybe you just arent all that bright .. so let me explain it to you once again. It is not "obviously" a problem with the pump just because you dont have the problem. I am sure you at least have the wits to figure that out. If it was "obviously" the pump, then the same pump would be spilling over for all cars, but its not. I think I have enough reason to have SOME doubt that it is the pump.

And your rocket scientist remark ..again either an immature attemtp at a joke..or your intelligence is showing again. Does it take a rocket scientist to make a car that doesnt rattle? So why does the TSX rattle? Does it take arocket scientist to make a headlight housing that doesnt leak? Then why do some TSX get water in there? There are probably several different types of pumps throughout the world and its quite possible that certain pumps for whatever reason occasionally dont pressure off with the TSX.

I am NOT saying this is a problem with the TSX in general, or even my TSX. But its fair to explore this issue for the reasons I gave in my previous posts.

Also i dont have to keep anything to myself , this is a discussion board and i will speak my mind freely, have a nice day.
Actually you do have to keep certain things to yourself. If you want to continue with personal attacks, I guarentee you wil be banned. I also dont appreciate you hijacking my post. You have given your opinion now move on. If you want to mindlesly talk about how the TSX is "obviously" perfect and and can never have any problems because your car has no problems...then go start that intelligent discussion in its own thread.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:12 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by Proo
Interesting... I have never had this happen. Which gas stations were these?
Once was a petro canada, and once was an esso. Both were newer pumps (couple years old at most). I realy let off the nozzle towards the top of the tank and let it in very slowly, so this may have something to do with it . Next time I fill up and i am just going to keep the nozzle full blast and see what happens.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

Originally posted by fdl
[B]Oh yes...i am very boring and serious. Sorry my thread is not "fun" enough for you. Trying to resolve a problem with my car is serious, and not boring to me or others with the problem. you may be 23, but you continue to act like you are 16.

Perhaps you are just too immature for this discussion, or maybe you just arent all that bright .. so let me explain it to you once again. It is not "obviously" a problem with the pump just because you dont have the problem. I am sure you at least have the wits to figure that out. If it was "obviously" the pump, then the same pump would be spilling over for all cars, but its not. I think I have enough reason to have SOME doubt that it is the pump.

And your rocket scientist remark ..again either an immature attemtp at a joke..or your intelligence is showing again. Does it take a rocket scientist to make a car that doesnt rattle? So why does the TSX rattle? Does it take arocket scientist to make a headlight housing that doesnt leak? Then why do some TSX get water in there? There are probably several different types of pumps throughout the world and its quite possible that certain pumps for whatever reason occasionally dont pressure off with the TSX.

I am NOT saying this is a problem with the TSX in general, or even my TSX. But its fair to explore this issue for the reasons I gave in my previous posts.

Actually you do have to keep certain things to yourself. If you want to continue with personal attacks, I guarentee you wil be banned. I also dont appreciate you hijacking my post. You have given your opinion now move on. If you want to mindlesly talk about how the TSX is "obviously" perfect and and can never have any problems because your car has no problems...then go start that intelligent discussion in its own thread.
wow, dont take yourself so serious.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

i "hijacked your post"................ ..i will not post anymore on this thread, i woudlnt want to get banned for hijacking.l
Old 01-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I've always just let it fill till it stops by itself and never had problems, except once with my TSX. The pump that overflowed had one of those tabs. I thought the pump stopped cause I heard the click, but a few seconds later I heard and saw the tank overflowing. When I went to stop the pump, it looked like the tab never disengaged and it kept pumping. I'm ruling pump error for my incident. This was at an Amoco station.
It also happened to my brother on his 03 Corolla, but I'll have to find out details the next time I see him.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:07 AM
wiz
Pro

I do what every gas station tells you not to do, and that is top off the tank after I fill up. I have never had a problem with gas running out of the tank, except the drizzle that comes from the actual pump itself when removing it from the tank to put it back on the pumpstand. I have never had this happen in any car.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Racer

I had it happen with our MDX just after our station switched over to the vapor recovery type nozzel. The owner of the station told me to push the nozzel in as far as it can go and don't attempt to top it off. Haven't had any problems since.

Of course, I'm not a very aggressive driver either, lol.

It's extremely dangerous when it happens though, make sure you ground yourself to the car before you try to stop it from pumping because any static discharge at all near the vapors and you'll end up reenacting a scene from Zoolander.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:12 AM
No Longer a Poseur

I figure it's gotta be the gas station pumps.

I don't mean to be condescending, but make sure the nozzle is in all the way, such that the splash guard is almost covering the entire fill hole. Then, give 'er full blast. It should cut off. If it doesn't, maybe tell the station attendants.

For the record, I only have gassed up at Safeway's and Shell's, so maybe try a different gas station?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Racer

Yeah, my "technique" was to not put the nozzel all the way in so it would automatically top it off. Worked great on the old nozzels, but not so good on the new ones.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:49 AM
spc
Instructor

Originally posted by duugk
Yeah, my "technique" was to not put the nozzel all the way in so it would automatically top it off. Worked great on the old nozzels, but not so good on the new ones.
That's it!
Old 01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by fdl
... I never blamed anything on the TSX.
This reminds me of my thread a few weeks ago, asking if anyone (else) had problems with the sunvisor clearing their head when it's shifted from the windshield to the window. I got brilliant replies like "sunvisors are useless", and "wear sunglasses". All I wanted was feedback on other people's experience on that issue.

That rant aside, I also had one case of gas overflow with my TSX. I'd never been to this station before, and it was a bit shabby, so I just blamed the gas pump. I do tend to top my tank. In the dozen or so fillups I've done, that was the only overflow. However, in my ~30 year driving experience, I've had very few overflow problems. So, this could be a potential design flaw. I believe the gas tank is baffled, and maybe that reduces the backflow that triggers the nozzle cutoff.

Useless answers like "listen to the sound of the gas going in", or "be aware of how much gas the fillup should take" are not any help. For one thing, you shouldn't have to do that, and for another, you may not be the one operating the pump. For example in New Jersy, it's illegal to pump your own gas, and all stations are full service.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

fdl... when I try to back off the flow volume when filling up my GS-R... i get the overfill problem. If I let it stop by itself (Full Volume), then I don't get the problem. Trying to fill it to the max by creeping in the gas is probably the problem. IMO.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:24 AM
More On

Can't believe I've missed out on this drama. FDL, instead of the title being "Gas overfill... AGAIN," it should have been, "Gas overfill....again....PLUS FLAME."

BTW, y'all.....FDL may be a couple of things, but "boring" he ain't.

So.....on topic: You know, I've never much thought about it and that's why I don't look at these threads, but.... Yes, it definitely happened to me YEARS AGO a couple of times on some other car, probably my BMW 320i, and without really thinking about it I just stopped using that "automatic" thing for a long time. Gradually over the years I started using it again, but I'm still a little gun-shy about it -- I mean without really thinking about it, to the point that I didn't even have any awareness of this whole thing until I just read this thread. When I do use it, I still sort of baby-sit the thing, because I'm still afraid it'll happen again.

I've filled the TSX a few times with the automatic thing, and no problems.

You know, we probably do most of what we do sort of unconsciously. There's a school of thought that we are the only species with a conscious mind, and that even we didn't develop it until relatively recently, in the scheme of things (like around 1000 B.C.-2000 B.C.):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

(This book is a semi-classic.)

Yeah, leave it to me to take an overfill thread and change it to the origin of consciousness.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

i "hijacked your post"................ ..i will not post anymore on this thread, i woudlnt want to get banned for hijacking.l
you are incredilby stupid for a 23yr old... or for any age group for that matter. inbreeding does do terrible things to people though. I will donate to United Way and hopes the money makes it to you. It's okay, dont take it so seriously, just like you say.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:36 AM
G35 Freak

This link is kind of funny to me coming from the G35 forums. Certain cars are having problems at Costco and Valero gas stations when the pump shuts off WAY EARLY. The car has a 20 gallon tank and some people are only able to get a little over 11 gallons in it when it is basically empty. No matter how slow you go, you really can't get that much more in it unless you want to sit there for 45 minutes. I would prefer to overfill than to underfill!! Just make sure you bring some degreaser (like simple green) and some paper towels so you can wipe it up when it happens. You also might want to make sure you wax that particular area more often (like once a week) than the rest of your car.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: GO TO A BETTER GAS STATION

if you hate it, then don't come on the forum fool. This is a place to help and to understand stuff that happens to the car and the driver. I hate it when people ask or stay stuff on the forum and they get responses like, its stupid or use the search or some crap like that. ITS A FORUM, PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO ASK EACH OTHER SHIT. If you don't like people talking about their cars, and yours TSX is the wonder car that don't have any problems... then good for you on a good car, and get out of the forums.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by Kidd
if you hate it, then don't come on the forum fool. This is a place to help and to understand stuff that happens to the car and the driver. I hate it when people ask or stay stuff on the forum and they get responses like, its stupid or use the search or some crap like that. ITS A FORUM, PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO ASK EACH OTHER SHIT. If you don't like people talking about their cars, and yours TSX is the wonder car that don't have any problems... then good for you on a good car, and get out of the forums.
well said, Kidd.
I never understand why some dudes feel the need to talk down to folk. I've had urges sure, we probably all have at some point. Just the other day I was struggling to read a post which seemed to have been typed by someone in quite a rush. No capitals, no spaces, no periods, unique spelling I'd never imagined. I could have read an equivalent post written in Latin in less time. I was dying to confront the culprit, but common sense told me...

"who am I to judge this guy? How will flaming him, even in a humourous manner, do anything but piss him off?"
"he's got his way, seems to be having fun, so what gives me the right to intrude?"

If you've got nothing good to say, let them be.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:14 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by DEVO
fdl... when I try to back off the flow volume when filling up my GS-R... i get the overfill problem. If I let it stop by itself (Full Volume), then I don't get the problem. Trying to fill it to the max by creeping in the gas is probably the problem. IMO.
Ya, I am very curious to see if this is the culprit...that is...when letting gas in very slowly the pump does not click off. Perhaps some brave person out there would like to try it on their next fill up? Wait untill you are near the top of the tank and then ease up on the nozzle quite a bit and wait for it to click off. And then post your results

Quick Reply: gas overfill..AGAIN