Future of the RSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scion Xc will replace Celica. No good pics yet
Let Honda bring in the young buyers. Acura should try to upscale their image and compete with Lexus and Infiniti. The RSX has definitely hooked me!
And no offense but the TSX is a 25k car, one of the cheapest cars sold under a luxury brand. So why does canceling the same price RSX make Acura more upscale? I don't think they need to cancel the RSX at all. 10 best winner, enthusiests love it, magazines love it. Acura in their shortsightedness is stuck with it no matter if they sell it or not. Might as well sell it.

The thing is, the RSX gets TROUNCED by the new 350Z, WRX, Evo, RX-8. That is the problem. If the RSX was more performance oriented, it would be GREAT for Acura since there are hardly any coupes left. But for the current price, the only reason to buy it is the Acura badge.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Scion Xc will replace Celica. No good pics yet

And no offense but the TSX is a 25k car, one of the cheapest cars sold under a luxury brand. So why does canceling the same price RSX make Acura more upscale? I don't think they need to cancel the RSX at all. 10 best winner, enthusiests love it, magazines love it. Acura in their shortsightedness is stuck with it no matter if they sell it or not. Might as well sell it.

The thing is, the RSX gets TROUNCED by the new 350Z, WRX, Evo, RX-8. That is the problem. If the RSX was more performance oriented, it would be GREAT for Acura since there are hardly any coupes left. But for the current price, the only reason to buy it is the Acura badge.
Yeah but it's better looking than all of the cars you mentioned! Ha ha! (OK, maybe not the 350Z.) And not to quibble, but there's a $3K - $6K difference in price (MSRP) between RSX and TSX, depending on which RSX you pick and whether or not you put navi in the TSX. The Audi A4 and BMW 3 series would be similarly priced to the TSX if those firms could get their sh*t together and produce at a decent cost.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:54 PM
More On

Originally posted by gilboman
the RSX is tuned more for comfort than sport whereas the celica is more sport oriented......
I woulda thought if anything it was a little the other way around.

Larchmont, who noticed that today Junkster actually did a post without any "Junkster, who....." sign-off.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
And no offense but the TSX is a 25k car, one of the cheapest cars sold under a luxury brand. So why does canceling the same price RSX make Acura more upscale?
If you're talking about MSRP, the TSX is actually a 26K car and, with the navi, balloons to 28K+ whereas an RSX starts at 20K and the most expensive one is a little over 23K.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Racer

Sport Compacts, SUV/SUT, Crossovers are in. That's where the market is heading. Long gone are the days of the "specialty coupe." Amazed the Celica made it this far, IMO. I'm sure the Integra/RSX is heading in that direction also. And with the rather tepid response to the newest Eclipse, I'm sure Mitsubishi will be dropping that car and just focusing on the Lancer.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BuddySol
And with the rather tepid response to the newest Eclipse, I'm sure Mitsubishi will be dropping that car and just focusing on the Lancer.
I'm not sure about that one Buddy Boy. Here is a sketch of the 2006 Eclipse:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=03203449

I agree with the rest of what you said tho.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Racer

Hmmm, very nice concept sketch, kind of a throwback to the previous generation Eclipse. Mitsu seems to be conceding that they went the wrong direction with the current Eclipse. I'm interested to see what they plan to use to power the thing. If it ain't turbo, it ain't an Eclipse, IMO.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Hmmm, very nice concept sketch, kind of a throwback to the previous generation Eclipse. Mitsu seems to be conceding that they went the wrong direction with the current Eclipse. I'm interested to see what they plan to use to power the thing. If it ain't turbo, it ain't an Eclipse, IMO.
Yeah, the current Eclipse blows. Needs a turbo.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

I don't think RSX will die in the near future, while u barely see celica on the road, but there's still alot RSX on rd, so if Honda want to earn more$, RSX still very heathy.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:36 AM

yeah i dont think the rsx will die anytime soon but more tsxs were sold in nov then rsxs...check out the nov sales here

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4865
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Teh ?

Sport Compacts, SUV/SUT, Crossovers are in. That's where the market is heading. Long gone are the days of the "specialty coupe." Amazed the Celica made it this far, IMO. I'm sure the Integra/RSX is heading in that direction also. And with the rather tepid response to the newest Eclipse, I'm sure Mitsubishi will be dropping that car and just focusing on the Lancer.
I think the SUV segment is on it's downward trend now. I don't know if it can last considering how many people would prefer a crossover such as the RX330 or even a forester. I would venture that wagons will definitely make a comeback on a lot of sedans, since people want more space with their comfort.

I don't know what you mean by "specialty coupe", I can explain why the new Eclipse was the way it was.

Mitsubishi marketing researched that fans of the turbo/AWD Eclipses from the earlier years were becoming near mid age market people (late 20's to 30's) and were not interested in a pocket rocket ride, so they figured they would tame it down to be more of a touring coupe and not a sports coupe. They also based their change on the fact that Solara sales were doing pretty well. BusinessWeek once reported touring coupes should make a large some of the market for those parents that have sent their kids to college and want a fun car for just the two of them.

I figure most companies never saw the SUV craze coming in the mid '80's, they were probably more crazed about mini vans, so there is probably no sure way to say what is going to be the 'it' segment in the next 10 years (hopefully, more sporty cars and less sluggish SUVs).

Junkster, who thinks the Lancer, even in it's Evo form, just doesn't look good.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
The RSX just happens to exist in an era where such a car is not very popular. My first two cars were sporty little coupes. Back before ricers, I "moded" my Shelby Charger with an intercooler and an upgraded ECU (talk about turbo boost induced torque steer). Even before than I added a hotter cam and a custom exhaust system to my RWD V6 German built Ford Capri (boy that car was fun).

I think the current SUV faze is just a fad - it won't last and when young folks (here's me sounding like an old man) come out of their "me too" thinking they'll turn back to sporty entry level coupes. Hope by that time Honda/Acura has something to offer cause in the short term I think cars like the RSX will become extinct.:'(