Future of the RSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Future of the RSX

Toyota has officially announced that the Celica, which is the RSX's most direct competition, will no longer be imported to the states (I think this model year is the last). It seems like those sport coupes are being cancelled across brands. Gone are the MX6, Prelude, 240SX, etc. The drivers who used to buy those vehicles seem to be opting for sport sedans (like the TSX) or mini-SUVs (RAV4) etc. So, what is the future of the RSX? Any chance will see Acura cancel it and emphasize the TSX as the entry level vehicle?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In one of the posted article links 'round here ("what honda (acura) should do" - I believe), some Acura or Honda guy said that they're going to de-emphasize the RSX and sell less. That would be a good decision, IMO. A cool car, but it takes from the luxury appearance of the overall brand. Boot it to Honda if it's to stick around.

On the other hand... would the loss of the Celica lead those buyer to the RSX?? Hmm.. this is springing an idea for a poll in my head... :thinking:
Old 12-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Don't get run over!

Re: Future of the RSX

Originally posted by darth62
Toyota has officially announced that the Celica, which is the RSX's most direct competition, will no longer be imported to the states (I think this model year is the last). It seems like those sport coupes are being cancelled across brands. Gone are the MX6, Prelude, 240SX, etc. The drivers who used to buy those vehicles seem to be opting for sport sedans (like the TSX) or mini-SUVs (RAV4) etc. So, what is the future of the RSX? Any chance will see Acura cancel it and emphasize the TSX as the entry level vehicle?
where is the source that you got this from?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Not an Ashtray

I get every major car mag, and probably read it in one over the weekend. I'm not sure, but I believe the specific mag was Motor Trend's COY issue.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:06 PM
STi'd

hmmm..opting for sports sedans or mini suvs?? I can see sports sedans, but mini suvs are a far cry from sport coupes.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:17 PM
Racer

I think the RSX would do much better as a Honda and help Acura define itself better. It would be the Civic SI (or Type-R) and be much better than the current offering.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Inspired

I've said this for several years now (since the Integra name was dropped). Acura could be more upscale by dropping the RSX/Integra and make it a Honda. The Integra is what killed the Prelude IMO.

Its called the Honda Integra outside of North America, so just call it that here
Old 12-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Racer

I agree. Kill the RSX as an Acura, brand it a Honda. Kill the Acura EL (Canada) outright. Base car should be a TSX.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by gavinn58
hmmm..opting for sports sedans or mini suvs?? I can see sports sedans, but mini suvs are a far cry from sport coupes.
True. But that is what young people are buying these days. When I was in high school, all of my friends dreamed about owning a Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang. Nowadays, young people want a SUV. So, the same kind of buyer who would once opt for a Celica now looks at RAV4.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Racer

I think the RSX should stick around, even thru another model cycle. And next time, put out a four door version again (can slot below TSX). A four door version of the present RSX would've looked quite nice (love the lights and grille area) and even though it's Civic based and small and all, I would have considered it. Especially if it was nicely appointed inside (I can't stand the current RSX interior, especially the dash). As the TL and probably TSX continue to move relentlessly upmarket, the Acura brand will need a semi-affordable entry level vehicle.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think the TSX fills the semi-affordable entry level slot in the Acura lineup nicely. I'd rather see the CL return than the RSX.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by phile
I think the TSX fills the semi-affordable entry level slot in the Acura lineup nicely. I'd rather see the CL return than the RSX.
Agreed. Too bad the CL is gone
Old 12-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jcg878
Agreed. Too bad the CL is gone
The first CL was butt ugly, the second was rather plain. Honda didn't sell too many of either. I doubt there are enough buyers out there pining for a two door Acura sedan for Honda to deliver one any time soon.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
The first CL was butt ugly, the second was rather plain. Honda didn't sell too many of either. I doubt there are enough buyers out there pining for a two door Acura sedan for Honda to deliver one any time soon.
I wouldn't get one, but I like the idea of having a luxo coupe in the line-up more than a lower-level one made to compete with other non-lux brands.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jcg878
I wouldn't get one, but I like the idea of having a luxo coupe in the line-up more than a lower-level one made to compete with other non-lux brands.
I hear you jcg but there are a lot of former Integra and RSX owners here on this board that are now TSX and TL owners. Attracting (and holding) young "upscale" consumers is the real purpose of the RSX. The fact it's at a lower pricepoint than the Lexus IS is perhaps due to Honda's (value oriented) placement of the Acura brand or just the fact each marque sort of covers a different niche with their various models. Nothing wrong with the brand having a truly affordable entry level vehicle at the bottom of the rung. I sure hope they don't bring that EL thing here though.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I've been wondering that... whether integra/tsx purchases led to true brand loyalty, hence the poll. I understand both perspectives... but I think if they want to move their image up they have to boot the RSX. Honestly for all our talk about Acura moving its brand image up, I wonder if that is really the direction to go for them. I hope so and I think so, but it is a better business model to move up with the big boys or stay in the 'tweener position they are in now and just improve their marketing??
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Teh ?

This thread is really interesting...
I can't see a reason why Toyota is killing the Celica name in the US/NA market. Toyota is coming out with a high end sports car in the light of the success of the Z car (Gawd, bring back the 240SX for cryin out loud), and would need a 'hook' sports car to it's high end 'bait'. I can't imagine the sales of the Celica dying so badly that it needs to be eliminated. I don't know, I don't have the source, so I'm just speculating.
As I am typing this, my father on the phone reminds me that buyers of the previous Celica would be moving up to sedans, but what about the up and coming youth in desire of similar cars? Are you telling me a high school kid would ask for a TSX instead of a Celica or a RSX? (and if their parents buy them a 3 series or some yuppie car, then they just don't know sports compact fun) The SUV, maybe, but there are still kids that demand sports-compact goodness. My brother started driving my father's 4 runner, but when he had my integra for a summer, he fell in love with coupes. The youth definitely won't fade the sports compacts away, not this soon anyway.
The RSX as a Honda would be alright, if they wait till the next model change and badge it as a Prelude. How beautiful was the Prelude name as well as the car?

Junkster, who never cared for this generation Celica.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally posted by Junkster

Junkster, who never cared for this generation Celica.

lol i love it when u type in third person point of view
CrAzYdude, who thinks junkster is a very unique person
Old 12-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Not an Ashtray

Actually, Junkster, I suspect that many of the kids who would once buy a Celica or Prelude now buy a CRV or RAV4. Some of those buyers also shoot for the Civic or Corolla.

I've wonder about this myself because so many Sporty coupes have been killed off over the years (MX6, Prelude, 240sx, that weird slanty Subaru, Camaro, Firebird, Probe). The market just doesn't seem to be there.

But, that's just what Darth thinks.

Darth, who sometimes worries about people who talk about themselves in the third person.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Teh ?

Actually, Junkster, I suspect that many of the kids who would once buy a Celica or Prelude now buy a CRV or RAV4. Some of those buyers also shoot for the Civic or Corolla.

I've wonder about this myself because so many Sporty coupes have been killed off over the years (MX6, Prelude, 240sx, that weird slanty Subaru, Camaro, Firebird, Probe). The market just doesn't seem to be there.

But, that's just what Darth thinks.

Darth, who sometimes worries about people who talk about themselves in the third person.
The end of the 240SX in the US was the day that my heart sank low (when buying my Integra, the 240SX was a really close second in the running). I loved that line, with the subtle designs and cues. The day my compact-lovin' heart broke was when they stopped the Prelude line and totally lost faith in Honda compacts (and I don't count the S2000 as anything near a replacement for the Prelude, totally different price range).

I agree that the mini utes have taken over the youth market, and how sad is that? Have people really forgotten how usefull a hatchback coupe is?(GM has, by eliminating the hatch on the 9-3) I moved three kegs for my fraternity in my integra once (back seats down, two length, one width). I delivered the school paper at Univ of Denver for four years with an Integra. I'm really at a loss of words.

The small glimmer of light for sports compacts is the strong sales of the MINI. Hopefully, people come to their senses and stop handing youngin's those SUVs which have high center of gravity, horrid emergency driving character, and less then stellar gas milage, and hand them fast, darty, quick-cornering, cop... dodging,... speed-ticket... magnet... well, sensible sport compacts, yeah that's it,... sensible.

Junkster, who thinks Darth should worry about people who talk in third person...yes, fear them...
Old 12-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

The RSX is a great car. It's fast, reliable, looks good, inexpensive...it's everything the Civic Si should have been. Sure, the RSX is the best in its class...but it's class consists of Nissans and Toyotas not Infinitis and Lexuses. Why is a car from a "luxury" brand competing solely with cars from non-luxury companies? If they move the RSX over as a Civic Si, it would be the most rockingest Civic Si ever. I think they should reserve the "Acura" name for upscale cars to compete with other upscale cars. Reserve the RSX name for a TSX coupe...something to compete with the BMW 325ci...not the Toyota Celica. That is an RSX that I would want to buy. My
Old 12-02-2003, 12:10 AM
Not an Ashtray

By the way guys, I found the source for my report that the Celica was being cancelled. It is, indeed, Motor Trend. Motor Trend is reporting that the Celica is being cancelled and that a replacement of sorts will be a sport compact in the Scion lineup called Caldina.

Junkster - as a college student I lusted after Preludes and 240SXs. The Prelude was always too expensive for me though, so I wound up in a couple of Accord Coupes (which I loved to death).

Darth, who enjoys every word Junkster writes.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

that's too bad... the celica was my favourite sporty coupe..it actually had some sport in it, good handling, brakes, and nice feedback from the steering wheel and was light unlike all the other overweight sporty coupe pretenders out there... i guess this once again shows North Americans value comfort over sport which is a shame.. now the sporty coupe class only has the somewhat sporty RSX left... which isn't nearly as fun as a celica was... but the celica lives in the new elise from lotus i guess... same engine and tranny and a chasis that will outdue most competitors....

i personally think the sporty coupe class is dying.. i mean when a neon gets 250whp and Corollas with 170hp, and mazda3's with 160.. there isnt much room left for sporty coupes... i'm thinking the RSX is going to be axed and maybe make return later in the honda lineup if it comes back at all.

but a calidina is certainly nice...260hp AWD
Old 12-02-2003, 03:46 AM
Burning Brakes

why are you guys saying move the rsx to honda and call it a civic? it isn't a civic, it's an integra
Old 12-02-2003, 05:17 AM
Don't get run over!

I think it would be better if they just renamed the Acura RSX the Integra and the RL the Legend again and also call the TL Inspire or Saber or something. I don't like the lame alpha-numerical naming system they have on Acuras....dunno why they are trying to be like Mercedes?

1.7EL, RSX, TSX, MDX, TL, RL, etc.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by 2004_Acura_TSX
dunno why they are trying to be like Mercedes?
I can think of a few reasons
Old 12-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by gilboman
that's too bad... the celica was my favourite sporty coupe..it actually had some sport in it, good handling, brakes, and nice feedback from the steering wheel and was light unlike all the other overweight sporty coupe pretenders out there... i guess this once again shows North Americans value comfort over sport which is a shame.. now the sporty coupe class only has the somewhat sporty RSX left... which isn't nearly as fun as a celica was... but the celica lives in the new elise from lotus i guess... same engine and tranny and a chasis that will outdue most competitors....

i personally think the sporty coupe class is dying.. i mean when a neon gets 250whp and Corollas with 170hp, and mazda3's with 160.. there isnt much room left for sporty coupes... i'm thinking the RSX is going to be axed and maybe make return later in the honda lineup if it comes back at all.

but a calidina is certainly nice...260hp AWD
If you think the RSX is only "somewhat" sporty...then you haven't driven it right. This car rocks for sportiness. The Celica is a nice sporty car too, I just haven't liked it since it was beaten with an ugly stick.

Darth said the Calidina was a Scion...but 260hp and AWD doesn't sound like a Scion to me.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
why are you guys saying move the rsx to honda and call it a civic? it isn't a civic, it's an integra
We're (well, atleast I am) calling for the RSX/Civic change because
1) The RSX is based on the Civic platform to begin with.
2) The current Civic Si is an embarassment, but the RSX as a Civic Si would 0wnz
3) The RSX is too cheap to be a luxury car and it's bringing down the image of a luxury brand.

I personally think Honda should be the Economy/Sporty division and Acura should be the Luxury/Sporty division. With this definition, the RSX fits better in the Honda division whereas nothing less than the TSX's level of luxury (re: TSX coupe) would fit under Acura.

My
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the caldina looks like the next matrix...not a replacement for celica? check this out
http://www.honda-acura.net/showthread/t-82959.html

yeah, a 260HP AWD would be nice...but i like the wrx/sti better than a matrix looking pocket rocket
Old 12-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dabuda2004
the caldina looks like the next matrix...not a replacement for celica? check this out
http://www.honda-acura.net/showthread/t-82959.html

yeah, a 260HP AWD would be nice...but i like the wrx/sti better than a matrix looking pocket rocket
Yep, that thing is just as ugly as the Matrix.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro

Hmm. Don't tell BMW and Audi that this is happening - after all, they're still bringing over the A3 and the 1-Series....
Old 12-02-2003, 12:41 PM
5th Gear

This has been discussed at length at clubrsx.com. I agree that the RSX does not belong in the Acura lineup (neither does the EL in Canada) but the image helps sell the RSX. IMHO, the Prelude design should have been under the Acura RSX/Integra name and the RSX/Integra should have been under the Honda Prelude name. The Prelude was too expensive for a Honda and the Integra was not refined/powerful/expensive enough for Acura.

But there would be serious problems if Honda tried to change the RSX design to Honda now....

Let Honda bring in the young buyers. Acura should try to upscale their image and compete with Lexus and Infiniti. The RSX has definitely hooked me!
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by AcuraFan
If you think the RSX is only "somewhat" sporty...then you haven't driven it right. This car rocks for sportiness. The Celica is a nice sporty car too, I just haven't liked it since it was beaten with an ugly stick.

Darth said the Calidina was a Scion...but 260hp and AWD doesn't sound like a Scion to me.
Yeah, but the caveat is that I know absolutely nothing about the Calidina. I'm only reporting what is printed in MT. MT claims that the Caldina will be imported to the states and badged as a Scion.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by iNteGraz92
I don't agree with the others in calling it a Civic, but I do agree that it no longer serves as the entry level Acura - that task belongs to the TSX now, and I think it's doing a wonderful job at it. the Integra was thrown into the Acura lineup because Honda didn't know whether the Legend would bomb or not, so it was always meant to be a volume seller, and never was meant to be even a pseudo entry level luxury car.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I'm probably the only one on here that's suggesting the RSX become a Civic Si...but I think it makes sense. It's a performance hatch based off the Civic platform and a much better car than the current Civic Si that basically competes far better in the market the Si started. What if they didn't call it the Civic Si? What if they just called it the Si? Would that be better? Hmm...I'm kinda liking that...introducing the Honda Si performance hatch. w00t!

Then we can free up the Acura lineup for a more desirable lux coupe (not hatch). Even though I like the RSX a lot, I wouldn't buy one (too much of a "boy racer" image for me) but I would buy a TSX coupe or new CL...and I'm waiting, with baited breath, for such a coupe.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:33 PM
TMQ
Pro

..I suspect that many of the kids who would once buy a Celica or Prelude now buy a CRV or RAV4..
Probably not true. I see a lot of CR-Vs and RAVs and most of the drivers are mid-aged women. Why did I pay attention? I drive a CR-V. Mostly for skiing and hiking trips; also helps moving stuff. Good milage too. Handling is definitely poor.

Nowadays with traffic so congested, it doesn't make any difference how sporty the car is. A coupe just makes you think sporty. Exception: a drive at Mt Rainier NP (paved road of course) in my friend's Toyota supra.

I agree RSX will work well as Civic Si. the current Si is ugly. And make Honda S2000 Acura. Prelude - let it rest.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by CraZydudE
lol i love it when u type in third person point of view
CrAzYdude, who thinks junkster is a very unique person
Don't encourage him.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by Jason
Don't encourage him.
Junkster, who also thinks this third person thingie is snowballing.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AcuraFan

the RSX is tuned more for comfort than sport whereas the celica is more sport oriented.. the RSX is a nice car compared to tiburon and eclipse, but compared to the celica, the numb steering, weak brakes and lack of agility all point to being comfort first.... styling is all objective but the RSX looked too much like a civic in front and the interior didnt' convey sport to me.. its a nice car and cheaper than the celica too..but DRIVE both, and at autox if you can..and its clearly which one is the sporty one and which is the more comfort oriented one...and its not just the tires either... i think being in acura it had to give up some sport for comfort..but for me it gave up too much...which is why i passed on it and got a lude instead.... the lude and RSX both had numb steering and was heavy though, but in a corner the lude with the wide track felt more stable and the brakes felt better too..but both came with crappy tires...RE92 for the lude.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I haven't driven the Celica so I can't vouch for that one. But my sister just bought a car a couple weeks ago so I had the opportunity to test drive a couple of the other ones. All I know is the Eclipse GT and Tiburon GT were much more comfortable and sedated than the RSX. The RSX Type S was racey and light compared to the other two but also felt less comfy and isolated. My sister like the Eclipse the best out of the three because the RSX was too sporty, and not comfy enough.

Because it was the two of us, the sales guy didn't want to cram in the back so I got to really open up the RSX on some windy roads and I can tell you, it felt damn sporty to me.

Quick Reply: Future of the RSX