The future of Nav Systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The future of Nav Systems

Seeing the introduction of a system like this was a reason why I didn't get the stock Nav system in my TSX.

It's a full-on PC that uses WinXP, and includes a hard drive, usb ports, serial ports, surround sound processing, etc, etc, etc.

All for $1700, about the price of the stock Nav system.

It's called the StreetDeck
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on keeping my 04 tsx for 7 - 10 years... I didn't want a "high tech" Nav unit from 2004 when I'm driving in 2012 and my wrist watch can give me better directions.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

that is pretty cool...i wonder how much it'd be to install something like that. but i'm happy with the stock navi. i just wish i can get an updated dvd for it.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you! I created a thread awhile ago discussing how the nav system is not worth it and the resale value of a TSX with nav will be the same or even lower than a non nav TSX. Of course everyone said I was crazy and the nav is the best thing on earth.

Also, google and VW are creating a nav based on GoogleMap technology that shows 3-D images of your surrounding.

At the rate nav technology is changing, I don't think it's worth it to get a nav system that's sooo tightly integrated with the car. However, for people that are leasing their car or plan to switch cars every few years, the TSX nav is well worth it. As for me, I am an electronic geek and I plan to keep my car for awhile....so no nav for me (maybe an aftermarket one).
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 AM
TSX User

This argument seems analogous to our ever-so-popular Acura vs. BMW threads.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

You can make the exact same argument about your $1700 (plus install $$$)aftermarket setup, only it won't look nearly as integrated as an OEM unit. I will admit that it looks like a pretty amazing system, but there will probably be something even better next year.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

I agree with MCalf. While I agree with the intial posters comments in theory, the fact is for the short term - the Navi system is awesome (IMO). Tonight I will fire up the car and drive 4 hours - and I am planning on finding a Zagat rated Mexican restaurant on the way. If something better comes along in the future - I don't see why I couldn't add that to the car and sell the existing unit on Ebay. For me it's not about the $2000.....
Old 02-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by McCalf
You can make the exact same argument about your $1700 (plus install $$$)aftermarket setup, only it won't look nearly as integrated as an OEM unit. I will admit that it looks like a pretty amazing system, but there will probably be something even better next year.
I see what you are saying, but part of my point was because the technology is moving so quickly right now that already we are seeing comparabley priced systems that do 10x what the stock system does. So in a another year or so of development the systems that will be available may make the current Acura system seem antiquated.

There will always be something better. But, right now those leaps from one generation to the next are huge. And also, the newer systems are PC-based meaning upgrades aren't limited to just newer maps or restaurant reviews, but integration of entirely new pieces of software and hardware to your system.

Just interesting stuff. I'm defitnitely NOT saying people who chose to get Navi made a mistake. I just had my reasons for not getting Navi, and upcoming technologies was one of them.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

My question is will Acura be able to update the existing systems (i.e. 2006 version) as technology advances. I honestly don't understand the technology - but it seems to me that loading new software wouldn't be all that difficult. Then again, I suppose they want you to buy a new car so there is little incentive for them to do it. We'll have to see...
Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I've seen that and it looks really cool. My current aftermarket system has basically all of the same features as that. I'm an audiophile and I'm very happy that I went aftermarket. I like the ability to expand but keep everything integrated.

Don't get me wrong, the oem navi is great, but the audio is more important to me and I need more control than just bass and treble. In terms of OEM, the Acura Navi is the very best you can get, the only problem is that OEM is usually always behind the aftermarket in terms of technology. I still don't understand why the factory Navi cannot display ID3 tags, and why the Ipod Musiclink interface for it is so bad.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Tsx536, what system are you using now?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by themayor
Tsx536, what system are you using now?
I run the Pioneer N2 along with some of the IP-Bus add-on components. My system does not do everything single that the streetdeck does, but it does the majority of the functions such as Navi, DVD, TV, Mp3, Ipod, Sirius, bluetooth, and backup camera.

You can check out my system on the Cardomain page that I just made:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2246494

You should also look into the Pioneer Z1. It looks similar to the Streetdeck:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_AVIC...1.html?tag=nav
Old 02-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You buy NAV because you want to enjoy it now. Its not an investment for the future, and there will one day be other technology that is superior.

I bought my vehicle in 2004. I have 40,000 miles on it. I'll probably trade it in in two or three years. The entire time I've had it, I've used NAV regularly and absolutely love it.

So, should I pass up using NAV for the next few years because there will one day be better technology?

If you're going to take that attitude than don't buy an IPOD, DVD player, CD player, etc, because all of that will one day be replaced by better technology.

And, btw, why does the availability of more advanced technology make old technology useless? the TSX NAV system is a joy to use. Is it going to stop being a useful feature in five years because there are more advanced systems out there?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^^^ couldn't have said it better
Old 02-10-2006, 04:16 PM
6MT or Death

I say all you OEM Nav people are a bunch of nob jockeys. But I do concede that is merely jealousy.

though the streetdeck does take seem to take a mild waz on the OEM nav, at least function-wise.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Please don't get defensive about your choice to buy and enjoy Navi. As I said before I am not saying that people who chose Navi made a mistake in any way, shape or form.

I in no way said "more advanced technology makes old technology useless".

The technology issue was ONE reason (of about 8) why I chose not to get the stock Navi.

peace, love and navi-ness
Old 02-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Instructor

One reason why I didn't buy the navi was that it forced me to take my eyes off the road and I didn't feel real comfortable about that. I've been using a little Garmin Nuvi sitting on the dash and I love it. It's in my line of signt so I can watch the road and the screen. And it fits in your pocket if you feel like taking a walk.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Racer

*wishes my oem navi unit was like that* O well i guess ya can't win em all unless ya shell some big bucks =/ Anything is possible with a few engineers, and some nice cold hard cash $_$.

I've got navi, I love the navi, whoever sits in my car loves my navi, and the drivers around me love to check out my navi. Im an attention whore i guess xD