Freaking Mad................hit And Run

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freaking Mad................hit And Run

man im so heated right now. Today id rove my sister to school and while i was there i decided to get some grub. I parked the car right outside her dorm and some MOFO hit and runs into my car. When i saw the damaged i never cussed so much in my life. DAM this is sucks.........i dont know what to do.
My parking spot:

the damage: The muffler came loose out of this rubber that thing that holds it in place

Can anyone estimate how much this will cost? what will they do?

Not sure if we should go to the insurance to get it fixed or fix it out of our own pockets...

i hope karma gets that person good..........this is freaking ridiculous
Old 10-01-2006, 05:03 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since you are in CA, just go to bumper medic. They dont repaint the whole bumper like bodyshop usually do.. they only fix the damage area so it should cost much cheaper.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Call your inurance company. That is what they are for. Why is everyone so afraid to call their insurance company? What do we pay them money for? Savings account? NOt!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Instructor

It also depends on what your deductible is on your insurance.If its more than $250 just get it done on your own.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

deductable is 500 -.-.....

my dad said to just fix it without insurance.................

any other advice anyone?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Looks largely cosmestic. Before even going to get it repainted, I'd take it to a good detailer and try to have it polished and clayed to see if that removes most of it. The exhaust hanger should pop right back in so unless there was damage to that, you may not even need to do anything as extreme as repainting the whole bumper.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Call your inurance company. That is what they are for. Why is everyone so afraid to call their insurance company? What do we pay them money for? Savings account? NOt!
I wouldn't call it being "afraid", it's has more to do with deductibles. Also you can bet the insurance company will get its $$ back when they raise your rates upon renewal.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brody
I wouldn't call it being "afraid", it's has more to do with deductibles. Also you can bet the insurance company will get its $$ back when they raise your rates upon renewal.
exactly.....in the long run youll be paying it all back......

any other suggestions?

does anyone know any good body shops that can get it fixed for a decent price?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

look at the OEM kit rear lip for the 06, it should cover all or almost all of the marks
Old 10-01-2006, 06:29 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
look at the OEM kit rear lip for the 06, it should cover all or almost all of the marks
^^ that and go into the classified and post a WTB TSX stock exhaust. Looks like the muffler is bent at the pipe area and the scuffs on the bumper which is a light hit. Pretty sure its around $500 to fix if you can basically bolt on a few stuff.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can see how pissed you are, but wow, that could have been much much more worse! Thank god!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Brody

I have made many of claims with State Farm, for damage not my fault, and my rates have never gone up. In fact just made a claim for a small chip in my windshield. Thats what I got insurance for.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I have made many of claims with State Farm, for damage not my fault, and my rates have never gone up. In fact just made a claim for a small chip in my windshield. Thats what I got insurance for.
wow really your rates didnt go up? this car is on state farm as well
Old 10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
I guess this could work but I wont recommend doing it. I would rather get it all fixed than covering.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ck123
wow really your rates didnt go up? this car is on state farm as well
you should just call your agent and ask them about it. They should able to provide you everything you need. btw, so sorry to hear that and seeing on the picture. I would be pissed at you are too..
Old 10-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Instructor

pay out of pocket.. get a greddy sp2 exhaust and new rear bumper...
Old 10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Firstly, get that muffler hook back on the hanger. You don't want your piping to be bent.
Then, try cutting it down first. Since it is at the bottom, you could minimise how obvious it looks. FInally, you can get that corner resprayed for under $100.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:03 PM
my acura sanctuary

ck, recently I got whacked on the rear bumper too. not as bas as yours but cracked paint and gouges. the bumper was pushed in over about 8 inches.
I am not in a huge hurry to fix it. but having had bumpers repainted. I recommend that you don't skimp with the lowest bidder. because the bumper is plastic it needs special prep and paint additives so use a reputable shop. maybe start with the dealer for an estimate-that is what I am going to do. doesn't mean I will have them do it but it will be a good baseline.
Sorry to say having a nice car in the city-that you have to park on the street daily- is a pain. been here for 15 years parking on the street and my last new car it only took 8 days before some bad parker gouged up my new accord coupe. If I find a good body shop I'll let you know but I just moved out of SF. -ed
Old 10-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Instructor

If that's true, can't you just put in claims that you made on accident? Like if you got scratched by the side on accident, can't you just say it was a hit and run and get it fixed for free and have your rates NOT go up?

As long as it's not in rapid sucession, it' won't be too obvious.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aaronng
Firstly, get that muffler hook back on the hanger. You don't want your piping to be bent.
Then, try cutting it down first. Since it is at the bottom, you could minimise how obvious it looks. FInally, you can get that corner resprayed for under $100.
will it look like brand new? tell me more please

Originally Posted by subdued
ck, recently I got whacked on the rear bumper too. not as bas as yours but cracked paint and gouges. the bumper was pushed in over about 8 inches.
I am not in a huge hurry to fix it. but having had bumpers repainted. I recommend that you don't skimp with the lowest bidder. because the bumper is plastic it needs special prep and paint additives so use a reputable shop. maybe start with the dealer for an estimate-that is what I am going to do. doesn't mean I will have them do it but it will be a good baseline.
Sorry to say having a nice car in the city-that you have to park on the street daily- is a pain. been here for 15 years parking on the street and my last new car it only took 8 days before some bad parker gouged up my new accord coupe. If I find a good body shop I'll let you know but I just moved out of SF. -ed
man that sucks to hear? let me know some body shops if u find some...

well its not that bad anymore after i wiped it down......few scratches now. I go to berkeley twice a week so i hope i run into this scumbag
if im sure its his car can i still tell my insurance? brb gonna take pictures
Old 10-01-2006, 11:51 PM
tsx n00b

wow, I just saw that picture and thought that looks familiar, and after seeing the car in front of you, thats the street that i live on! Street parking in berkeley around here really blows. Someones always trying to fit into a spot they probably can't fit in. My altima has gotten so banged up, but i'm holding off until i leave to get it fixed. At least now I have off street parking.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tsxGoldenBear
wow, I just saw that picture and thought that looks familiar, and after seeing the car in front of you, thats the street that i live on! Street parking in berkeley around here really blows. Someones always trying to fit into a spot they probably can't fit in. My altima has gotten so banged up, but i'm holding off until i leave to get it fixed. At least now I have off street parking.
wow you serious??????????????? do you live on foothill dorm?

would you be willing to look out for a possible white car with bumper dmg, probably a foot long for me?

after a little clean up:

not as bad but im still pissed
Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to see your TSX like that, It does look like you will need a repainting though or just get the rear USDM bodykit part and that should cover all of the damage. I know it still sucks becuase you'll know that it's damaged underneath.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ck123
will it look like brand new? tell me more please
Have you put the exhaust back on the hanger yet? It's your #1 priority now.

Cutting it will only help if the paint is scuffed. If it is scratched, then it won't do much.

Spot resprays are good. My friend scraped the top part of the rear right side bumper and he had it resprayed by a very good respray place that does good colour matching. Paint was mixed on the spot to match. In the sunlight, I couldn't see where the original paint ended and where the respray started. Of course, if the scratches are deep, you can see the outline of the scratch. To minimise that, you can ask the respray guy to fill it up the scratches with a very very little amount of bondo.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aaronng
Have you put the exhaust back on the hanger yet? It's your #1 priority now.

Cutting it will only help if the paint is scuffed. If it is scratched, then it won't do much.

Spot resprays are good. My friend scraped the top part of the rear right side bumper and he had it resprayed by a very good respray place that does good colour matching. Paint was mixed on the spot to match. In the sunlight, I couldn't see where the original paint ended and where the respray started. Of course, if the scratches are deep, you can see the outline of the scratch. To minimise that, you can ask the respray guy to fill it up the scratches with a very very little amount of bondo.
yup did that when i got home...i didnt know it was loose when i left berkeley.

aarong do you know where that store is located?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 AM
tsx n00b

I live in the apartments around the corner from foothill. I can try to keep an eye out, but theres so many different cars around. If something obvious comes i'll be sure to remember.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Racer

that sucks . . . reminds me of the time I got rear ended by a guy while I was at a stoplight(dude claims he was on his cell phone and his contact popped . . . just kept giving me excuses) . . . had my insurance try to track him down . . . the guy has the nerve to say he hit me while I was parked in a red zone . . . this was back in June . . . I still haven't seen any money and at this point I'm just gonna cover it up with touch up paint whenever I get around to it(although I think this scrap on the rear is from something else cuz it showed up a week later after the "accident" . . . eh whatever) . . . yeah so I agree with not bringing the insurance company into this . . . and yeah . . . deductables do suck . . . cuz in these cases it's someone else's fault . . . why do you have to pay for someone else's stupidity?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Still Lovin my 06

sometimes a small claim will cause your insurance to go up, making it not worth it in the long run. in this case, i don't think it would happen though.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Still Lovin my 06

your rates may not have gone up, but did they go down? probably not. typically, insurance will get cheaper when you have consecutive years with no claims. that;s how every insurance i've ever had worked. it's only slight, but it does get cheaper. again, it depends on a claim.

windshield chips definitely don't make it go up. i'd question the OP's situation, but I don't think it would, depends on how they classify it. my cousin's car was vandelised and his didn't go up. if this is considered an "accident" it might go up, even if it's not your fault. best thing to do is talk to the insurance agent.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by turoneatingpinoy
that sucks . . . reminds me of the time I got rear ended by a guy while I was at a stoplight(dude claims he was on his cell phone and his contact popped . . . just kept giving me excuses) . . . had my insurance try to track him down . . . the guy has the nerve to say he hit me while I was parked in a red zone . . . this was back in June . . . I still haven't seen any money and at this point I'm just gonna cover it up with touch up paint whenever I get around to it(although I think this scrap on the rear is from something else cuz it showed up a week later after the "accident" . . . eh whatever) . . . yeah so I agree with not bringing the insurance company into this . . . and yeah . . . deductables do suck . . . cuz in these cases it's someone else's fault . . . why do you have to pay for someone else's stupidity?
this is why you carry a camera with you in your car at all times. if he hit you at a stoplight, the first thing you do if you see damage is take pictures of the scene. then call the cops. if you're going through insurance, this is the only way to get it done right with minimal arguments. but usually, if hit from behind, you shouldn't have a problem. What does it matter if you were in a red zone? if someone hits you, they hit you, doesn't matter where your car is.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The rear under body spoiler doesn’t cover the area above the red marker. He would still have to get paint/body work done to repair that area after spending +$300 for the rear underbody. He would have to spend $$ for the full kit because the car would look funny with just the rear.

Cheaper to fix the damage to the paint/exhaust than purchasing an OEM kit. I would not report to insurance unless it is above my $500 deductible.

Rear View of OEM under body spoiler:
Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
my acura sanctuary

ck, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for auto body shop recommendations so I asked this question in CAR TALK: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...99#post5058699
this could help us both out.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subdued
ck, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for auto body shop recommendations so I asked this question in CAR TALK: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...99#post5058699
this could help us both out.
thanks...hope to get some input from bay area peeps
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The rear under body spoiler doesn’t cover the area above the red marker. He would still have to get paint/body work done to repair that area after spending +$300 for the rear underbody. He would have to spend $$ for the full kit because the car would look funny with just the rear.

Cheaper to fix the damage to the paint/exhaust than purchasing an OEM kit. I would not report to insurance unless it is above my $500 deductible.

Rear View of OEM under body spoiler:
that looks good but it wont cover up everything. plus it would look a little bit funky with just the rear body kit....thanks tho
Old 10-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Racer

in my civic I had to claim damage done to my car approx 3k worth. some ass hat dropped a couch on the highway at night. I ran into to since there were no street lights. my premiums did not increase.

After I hit the couch and saw all of the damage done to my car I felt very sick thinking that I would have to pay for it all. but going on a friends recommendation I called and talked with my insurance agent. they explained that it would be a claim, but because I had a police report that stated what happened and that it wasn't my fault, and it wouldn't raise my monthly premium.

but there is a catch to making a claim like this. you can do it and it won't cause premiums to go up. but it will be on your record as a claim, just one that they won't charge you more for. if in a certain time frame you make x number of claims, your insurance company could either raise your rates or drop you completely.

me and my parents ran into this with farmers insurance. in the course of a 12 month period we had a string of bad luck. I had an accident, my mom had one, my mom had her windshield replaced, and we used our towing 3 or 4 times due to break downs.

well they sent us a nice letter that stated that we had too many claims and they dropped us. if we would have just paid for the towing out of pocket each time, then we wouldn't have had too many claims.

so if you haven't had any claims for awhile and the damage is above your deductible, then turn it over to them. that is what you pay for. just don't do it too often.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gftgrill
in my civic I had to claim damage done to my car approx 3k worth. some ass hat dropped a couch on the highway at night. I ran into to since there were no street lights. my premiums did not increase.

After I hit the couch and saw all of the damage done to my car I felt very sick thinking that I would have to pay for it all. but going on a friends recommendation I called and talked with my insurance agent. they explained that it would be a claim, but because I had a police report that stated what happened and that it wasn't my fault, and it wouldn't raise my monthly premium.

but there is a catch to making a claim like this. you can do it and it won't cause premiums to go up. but it will be on your record as a claim, just one that they won't charge you more for. if in a certain time frame you make x number of claims, your insurance company could either raise your rates or drop you completely.

me and my parents ran into this with farmers insurance. in the course of a 12 month period we had a string of bad luck. I had an accident, my mom had one, my mom had her windshield replaced, and we used our towing 3 or 4 times due to break downs.

well they sent us a nice letter that stated that we had too many claims and they dropped us. if we would have just paid for the towing out of pocket each time, then we wouldn't have had too many claims.

so if you haven't had any claims for awhile and the damage is above your deductible, then turn it over to them. that is what you pay for. just don't do it too often.
in teh 18+ years my dad has been with state farm he has never filed anything! No accidents but a couple moving violations. In my 3 years of driving this is the first time anything like this happened. So we have a good record with state farm but the dmg will definetly not be more than 500 deductible.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Racer

you might actually try calling around to local salvage yards. you might get lucky and find a replacement.

If you were able to find a good condition replacement, you could switch it with yours and sell the old one on ebay and recoupe some of the money. or just call around and find out how much it would be to get it repainted. I would probably just have the whole bumper repainted instead of trying to have them blend in the new paint. but then that would just depend on the quality of the shop.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Racer

oh and like stated above, get that exhaust back on the hanger. just wait for the car to cool off slide under there, push up the exhaust and pop the hanger back on.

it should take you no more than 2 minutes total to get it back on. and while your head is under there check out the exhaust piping for dents, cracks, and new bends. it doesn't look like you have exhaust damage, but if you do, then the repair bill could easily break that 500 dollar deductable.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
this is why you carry a camera with you in your car at all times. if he hit you at a stoplight, the first thing you do if you see damage is take pictures of the scene. then call the cops. if you're going through insurance, this is the only way to get it done right with minimal arguments. but usually, if hit from behind, you shouldn't have a problem. What does it matter if you were in a red zone? if someone hits you, they hit you, doesn't matter where your car is.
The damage was pretty much not noticable to the naked eye . . . plus when this happened I was late for a final presentation at school and the guy was sorta "scary" looking so I kinda was in a hurry to get the hell out of there . . .
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 AM
You Shoulda TAPPED!!!

Minimum $300... Sorry bro...
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Pro

if the repair is cheap it's probably not even wortht he deductibleon your car but it's always worth a try to call in

Quick Reply: Freaking Mad................hit And Run