A fond farewell to a great car....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fond farewell to a great car....

Well all, I haven't posted much here since doing the Alpine Type S upgrade to my TSX. Unlike many here, my TSX never developed the rattles, squeaks, warped breaks, etc. that I have so often read about. In fact, the only complaint I ever really had about my TSX 5AT Non-Navi was that the engine was so seductive that I rarely exceeded 18mpg in town (always over 30 on the highway). My job has me doing 90% city driving and I found myself filling up 4-5 times per month (ouch at $2.07/gal.) Nearly $150/mo. in gas.

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that I have traded my TSX for a vehicle that is providing me significantly better fuel mileage. The good news is that even after more than a nearly 20 months of ownership, the trade-in value far exceeded my expectations. The dealer I traded the car in at had a buyer for my car and I was able to get approx. $22,500 in trade for it. Not bad when one considers that I actually bought my TSX the first week they hit the streets and was able to get nearly $1000 off the sticker (which was unheard of then) and had 19,315 miles on it. I paid cash for my TSX so I owed nothing on it.

To save anyone from asking, I traded the TSX in on a 2005 VW Passat TDI. I was a bit disappointed that the TDI is not offered in GLX trim, however, I have to tel you that I am quite pleased with the car. On my first tank of diesel, the car returned 34 mpg in virtually all city driving. The second tank which was a 70/30 Highway/city split returned 40.5 mpg. I am finding the range per tank to be in the neighborhood of about 500 city 630 highway and while Premium unleaded is running aroun $2.07 here, diesel is running $1.91. The performance of the TDI is respectable although not fast, but, it feels faster than it is, and to my surprise makes nice (to my ear) sounds (from inside the vehicle anyhow).

I will miss my TSX. For me, it was the best performing car I had ever owned. It always made me feel that I had really gotten something special. It always turned a head or two. And, where I live, i was rare that I even saw another on the road, which in some way made the whole ownership experience feel much more exclusive than it would otherwise.

I can only hope that, from a quality perspective, the Passat TDI is half the car that the TSX was. It will be a good car indeed if that hold true.

Well, that about sums my fond farwell to a great car. One the road to life there are passenger cars....and there is V-Tech.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The TSX is supposed to have excellent fuel economy. Strange to see that as the reason for selling it.

Anyways, enjoy your VW.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with your Passat. We have a 2003 GLX and love it (so far - knock on wood!). It's a great car.

I didn't know they had a TDI Passat yet I thought that was coming out with the new model.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Cruisin'

I hope you have better luck with your Passat then I had with mine. I owned at 2002 1.8T. After 3 years of ownership, VW agreed to buy my car back. The car was at the dealer off and on for the 1st 2 years of ownership. In year 3, I was at the dealer 8 times in 12 months for electrical issues.
Don't know much about the diesel.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
The TSX is supposed to have excellent fuel economy. Strange to see that as the reason for selling it.

Anyways, enjoy your VW.
I get 16mpg all city, 32 all freeway, 22 half each -- which is the norm. I refuel every 7 days at almost $40 here in CA, after about 330 miles. It's nice mpgs compared to my mom's A6; but I would hardly call it "excellent". Excellent is 50mpg, and dare I say, I too cringe every time I refuel. But I'm keeping the car for another 60K. It only has 20,500 right now.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Racer

Tdi

That was a great thread. The TSX is a great car, and the diesel Passat is too. I drove an Audi version in Germany and kicked the shi_ out of it. It felt fast to me, and the Passat is nearly as nice inside as the Audi. In my opinion the gas mileage issue was a decent reason to do a trade. When I bought my 6 speed, I first considered whether I was going to take a new job 1 hr away. Had I accepted it, I was going to opt for the 5 auto.
Going about 90-110 mph on the autobahn with a full tank of diesel, the car said it could go 1150 km before empty (~720 miles). Wicked.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by slo007
I get 16mpg all city, 32 all freeway, 22 half each
16mpg city???? Thats most of the driving I do during the week and I get 22mpg almost everytime. And I wouldnt call myself a conservative driver either.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Instructor

Anyways, enjoy your VW.
Guy, if you read my post, my highway mileage was good. But around town, I found it just a little to hard to resist the wonderful engine. Even when I took it easy...I only saw around 22 (rated at 21) around town. The bottom line is that it is a great car...I will miss it. And, if an when the economy picks up and I can get a more stationary post....would without hesitation consider another...or a TL?....hmmmmm
Old 09-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcg878
Good luck with your Passat. We have a 2003 GLX and love it (so far - knock on wood!). It's a great car.

I didn't know they had a TDI Passat yet I thought that was coming out with the new model.
Nope 2005. In fact...what I have heard is that beginning with the 2006 epa requirements, VW may not be able to offer the TDI during the first year of the new model. They are hoping for 2007. Even now, it is only sold in 45 states. I wish they offered it with the GLX trim or 4 motion but the do not. The engin is the new 2.0L Pump Duece (134hp 247 lb/ft torque) And like all diesels the readline is a screeming (lol) 4700 rpms. In the highway at 60mph is does have more scoot than the 1.8T and most bicycle riders. Glad to hear you have had such good luck with yours. This is my first excursion wince the early 80's out of the Japanese arena. So I have very littel experience with car problems.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:35 AM
Instructor

I get 16mpg all city, 32 all freeway, 22 half each -- which is the norm. I refuel every 7 days at almost $40 here in CA, after about 330 miles. It's nice mpgs compared to my mom's A6; but I would hardly call it "excellent". Excellent is 50mpg, and dare I say, I too cringe every time I refuel. But I'm keeping the car for another 60K. It only has 20,500 right now.
Amen. I was doing a bit better than you on the city...but the highway was dead on. With the TDI i thought the fuel gage was not working at first. acnnot seem to get it to go below 32 in city..and seems to be right around 44 on the highway...with a somewhat heavy foot. But alas, in the handling and engine department it is no TSX.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zircon
That was a great thread. The TSX is a great car, and the diesel Passat is too. I drove an Audi version in Germany and kicked the shi_ out of it. It felt fast to me, and the Passat is nearly as nice inside as the Audi. In my opinion the gas mileage issue was a decent reason to do a trade. When I bought my 6 speed, I first considered whether I was going to take a new job 1 hr away. Had I accepted it, I was going to opt for the 5 auto.
Going about 90-110 mph on the autobahn with a full tank of diesel, the car said it could go 1150 km before empty (~720 miles). Wicked.
Well, unfortunately for me, since buying the TSX, my job situation has changed a lot suffice it to say. This is the first time I have ever traded a car so new....usually drive them until the wheels fall off. I am saving about $90 per month in fuel now. significant indeed.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Anyways, enjoy your VW.
Exactly. It always amazes me how much people don't know how to count. He will never get back his additional money just in fuel for getting a Passat TDi. Wrong pretext.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It's amazing how much your perspective can change when your gas prcies suddenly go down a bunch. I remember paying $35-$40 for a tank of premium in Cali. Then when I moved to NoVA, the gas prices are nearly as much as 50 cents lower than what they were in Cali so I'm happy to fill the tank now. Plus, my company reimburses me for mileage and so I haven't had to pay for a single tank of gas since I got here.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Hmmmm, I get 28-30 mpg in mostly city driving with the TSX. I don't exactly baby it either.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SilverTSXinPA
Well, unfortunately for me, since buying the TSX, my job situation has changed a lot suffice it to say. This is the first time I have ever traded a car so new....usually drive them until the wheels fall off. I am saving about $90 per month in fuel now. significant indeed.
You will get a significant tradeoff for fuel economy with a diesel..... might run a search on this web for passats; some have noted problems with electrical systems failures, generally after a year or two of ownership. New vehicles may have dealt with that QC problem. I had a VW Jetta GLX VX (speaking of gas diseconomy; I got 16-18 in town and 23 max on the road.... the penalty for a V6, I suppose, but I note the Acura TL V6 with 1.5 times the horses does better on real fuel economy....) which was a very fun car to bash around in, but began exhibiting terminal electrical systems failures after about 50,000 miles. Dealership was unsupportive, and the problems ultimately caused me to turn the car in a few months ahead of the end of its lease.

Others posting on this website have had good luck with Passats, so you may be fine, especially with a new model; I suspect that the electrical problems show up only after extended driving (my case with the Jetta). Good luck.