First report - PWP, 5AT, Nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First report - PWP, 5AT, Nav

Picked the car up about noon on Saturday. Have driven it 900 miles - some business, more pleasure. I want to write about my experiences with it, but just want to say a couple things now.

First, I had some doubts about the car before I got it - about the 4 cyl, about the power, about the ride, about the room, about the reports of rattles. Take my word for it: if you liked it when you drove it, you will love it when you own it.

A few objective observations:

No rattling, buzzing, clicking, grinding or other unwelcome noises in doors, locks, sunroof, driver seat track or anywhere else.

Armrest doesn't slide unless I want it to. I noticed that problem with a demonstrator during one of my test drives, and Honda must have listened to you guys about it.

Got over 28 mpg, indicated, during a 150 mile run that included almost no limited-access freeway and a pretty hard run (probably at 6 or 7 tenths) of about 40 miles through a hilly, winding road south of Columbus. (The road to Old Man's Cave, for those of you in central Ohio.)

Got 35+mpg indicated during 150 miles of pure freeway driving at about 70mph (a little over 71 indicated. See below).

Speedometer is about 1.5 mph optimistic (reads faster than true speed) at both 60 and 70mph. (To calculate, divide 3600 by the number of seconds per mile.)

Odometer is less than 1% off. Using mile markers, I measured the reading over 33 miles, and it showed almost exactly an extra one tenth of a mile for every 11 miles. I.e., the odometer indicated 33.3 miles at 33.0 miles by the mile markers.

The nav is a great gadget, and I love it. More about it later.

Mostly, I was taken with the fundamental goodness of this car. Every now and then, something comes along that just does everything it's supposed to do so competently that it's a joy to use and own. This car is in that category.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Eat my shorts!!

ur the lucky one......no rattles is a plus.
one thing i wish the car had......a louder exhaust
whats the point of having dual exhaust if you can't hear them?!?!?
other than that, its a blast to drive. just wish Houston had some canyons to carve. hehe
Old 09-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: First report - PWP, 5AT, Nav

Originally posted by lshenretty

Speedometer is about 1.5 mph optimistic (reads faster than true speed) at both 60 and 70mph. (To calculate, divide 3600 by the number of seconds per mile.)

Congratulations on taking delivery - it must've been a long wait.

I noticed that the speedometer was about 2mph above actual speed when driving by a couple of police set-up radar gizmos that reports your speed to you at about 50, and about 1 mph too high in EZ pass lanes at around 20mph.

Have fun!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Not to be pessimistic, but I didn't have any rattles at first either, but now around 3600 miles I have a few. I plan to get it checked out when I have it serviced at 5000 miles. Just keep an eye out (err, I guess an ear out) for rattles. Congratulations. Best color (although I'm biased).
Old 09-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Instructor

I will watch for rattles and let the board know if they develop. I don't play the stereo as loud as some here, so that might make a difference as far as the buzzing in the doors.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:37 AM
who's right, who's wrong?

Originally posted by speedzer
ur the lucky one......no rattles is a plus.
one thing i wish the car had......a louder exhaust
whats the point of having dual exhaust if you can't hear them?!?!?
other than that, its a blast to drive. just wish Houston had some canyons to carve. hehe
You aren't gonna hear much growl anyway, at least, not from a four cyl.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jaydub
You aren't gonna hear much growl anyway, at least, not from a four cyl.
I didn't think I'd like the sound of the car because it doesn't have that 6cyl burble (which is still not as good as the old V8 burble.) Their sound is just much mellower. But as I live with the TSX, I like the sound it makes.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:21 PM
who's right, who's wrong?

I know what you mean. I actually like the sound my Si makes.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:55 AM
More On

Don't know if anybody else has noticed, but our dude LSHenretty disappeared right after getting his TSX!

Hey, Ish, if you're out there, howya doin'? I hope this doesn't mean you hate your car!

Of course since Ish was coming from a 528, that might be a tough act to follow.

Probably it's just that he was interested in the site mainly to find out about the TSX before he got it, and once he got the car, it was "mission accomplished." I remember that for me it was sort of the opposite. I did use the site to find out about the TSX before I bought it -- the site was my MAIN source -- but it was only after I got the car that I really got into the site. In fact, I didn't even feel entitled to join until after I had the car.

So, Ish, we're saying "hi." Hope you continued loving your TSX!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: First report - PWP, 5AT, Nav

Originally posted by lshenretty
Armrest doesn't slide unless I want it to. I noticed that problem with a demonstrator during one of my test drives, and Honda must have listened to you guys about it.
Congratulations on your new car and thanks for the review, but one thing puzzles me. The armrest slides??? How do you do that? Just slide it back and forth?
Old 10-10-2003, 01:10 AM
More On

Re: Re: First report - PWP, 5AT, Nav

Originally posted by Brad
.....one thing puzzles me. The armrest slides??? How do you do that? Just slide it back and forth?
Maybe I don't get your question, but if I do..... It's simple: Grab the armrest (the one on the center console), pull it forward, and it slides forward. (And then you can slide it back, similarly.) Or, if you just rest your arm on it and put forward-pressure on it, it slides forward.

A lot of us find it a nuisance. But it does serve a purpose.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Ohhhh, the center console is an arm rest. Ahhhh. I get it. I had never thought of it as an armrest. I don't know if my elbow even reaches that low. Thanks!