first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:42 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first oil change

My new TSX now has about 7600 miles on it, and although the dealer told me that I don't have to get an oil change until it reaches 10,000 miles, I feel strange about that. Do you guys know whether I truly can wait until 10K? I have also been using the A/C quite a bit so I'd like to get that checked too. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Quattro in.....

I think you should be ok to change at 10,000 miles if you fall under the normal driving conditions. It is in the manual, and I don't think Acura would have put that in there if doing so would harm the engine.

Why have the A/C checked, are you having problems with it?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the board tsxowner. The oil change interval question is one of the most talked about topics. I suggest a search on "oil change" and you'll see dozens of threads. Here are some to start you out with:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...ghlight=change

Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

I meant the fluid levels for my A/C.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:15 PM
6th Gear

thanks for the previous posts

I guess I should have known that lots of people had the same question that I had! I'm just not used to waiting until 10k to get an oil change. And it seems like people just go with what they're comfortable with on this issue. Anyway, sorry to bring up a topic that people may be tired of! This forum seems very useful ... I'm looking foward to utilizing it from now on!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Instructor

I'm doing my first change at 5,000 miles.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by K24tunr
I'm doing my first change at 5,000 miles.
Same here... although we call that 8,000 km where I am
Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by tsxowner
I meant the fluid levels for my A/C.
The A/C doesn'thave fluid levels. If you need to recharge the A/C you may have leak in the system. Here is a recent thread talking about the A/C.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23259
Old 07-14-2005, 03:38 PM
6th Gear

For you guys who said you will be changing your oil at 5K ... why are you planning to do that if the owner's manual says the oil should be changed at 10k? Is it just a matter of opinion on this issue? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my car!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
First oil change should be done preferably at 1000, but no later than 3000. The only difference between factory fills and OTC oils that we all buy is that the factory fill often has extra amounts of, in this case molybdenum, which is most likely from the assembly lube that was used in the engine building process. The reason that the Honda is telling everyone to leave this stuff in is that they are hoping that the extra molybdenum will protect from unnecessary wear caused by the wear metals from break-in.

Instead, we've all found through oil analysis that the molybdenum contained in the factory fill is less than 400ppm, and get easily be matched by using Havoline 5w-30. If you use any other oil, I suggest adding Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment or Schaeffer's #132 at 1oz/quart to achieve similar levels.

Thus, there is no reason to leave the fill in the engine longer than 1000 or so miles.

Michael
Old 07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

The manual clearly states 10,000 (5,000 for "extreme" driving conditions) for the first oil change. Acura/Honda will not change the oil for you before at lease 5,000. My brother went in at 3,000 miles and they sent him home and said not to come back before at least 5,000 miles.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Wan

Thus, there is no reason to leave the fill in the engine longer than 1000 or so miles.

Michael
I did mine at 600
Old 07-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Just dial 1911

Michael, theres been a few debates around here regarding Amsoil/Redline increasing MPG. Have you ever done any oil test on these products? What were your results? And what do you think about the claims, such as Amsoil, that they last for 25K+ miles?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Remember that the factory fill often contains more than 5x the amount of Cu and Fe in the oil, changing the oil sooner at around 1000 miles and doing at least two short intervals of 3-5K will speed the clean-up of those wear metals leftover from the break-in period.

I do not suggest switching to syn and extended drains until you have done at least three oil changes since extended drains should not be done until wear metals drop, or 10,000 miles. Although you can switch to syn as early as 1000 miles without any problems, it is simply pointless and a waste of money as it is not a good practice to run extended drains when the engine has <10K, as there are higher amounts of blow-by from the rings that hasn't seated yet.

Michael
Old 07-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

First oil change should be done preferably at 1000, but no later than 3000. The only difference between factory fills and OTC oils that we all buy is that the factory fill often has extra amounts of, in this case molybdenum, which is most likely from the assembly lube that was used in the engine building process. The reason that the Honda is telling everyone to leave this stuff in is that they are hoping that the extra molybdenum will protect from unnecessary wear caused by the wear metals from break-in.

Instead, we've all found through oil analysis that the molybdenum contained in the factory fill is less than 400ppm, and get easily be matched by using Havoline 5w-30. If you use any other oil, I suggest adding Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment or Schaeffer's #132 at 1oz/quart to achieve similar levels.

Michael
While I have great respect for your posts (they are very detailed and informed) I would not go contrary to Honda/Acura's specific instructions not to do the first oil change sooner than manual recommends.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:28 PM

jlukja,
I respect your decision as this is your car, and you make your own decisions. If you can show me that an early oil change has caused long term issues with the recent Honda/Acura designs, I'd more that willingly change my stand on this subject.

Michael
Old 07-14-2005, 05:32 PM

joerockt,
Any fuel economy increase is most likely from using a 0w-XX oil, since the 0w rating leads to better flow upon startup, and is much lighter than a 5w-30 or 10w-30. However, the Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 thickens so much from oxidation that any fuel economy increase will probably be temporary.

Redline, the only POSSIBLE reason that you may experience better fuel efficiency is the super high dose of moly, which acts a friction modifier.

As for the 1-year/25K claims, that oil will probably thicken into a high 40wt by that time if even lasts that long, thus, I would not attempt it unless Amsoil corrects that problem when they launch the reformulated versions of their oil late this summer to meet the new API SM/ILSAC GF-4 standards.

Amsoil is suitable for extended drains though, no question about that. But a more realistic drain interval that I agree on and most honest, knowledgeable dealers agree on would be a 1-year/15,000 mile drain interval, with a filter change midway at 7500 miles or 6 months.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Old 07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

jlukja,
I respect your decision as this is your car, and you make your own decisions. If you can show me that an early oil change has caused long term issues with the recent Honda/Acura designs, I'd more that willingly change my stand on this subject.

Michael
I can't because I'm not aware of any.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

As for the 1-year/25K claims, that oil will probably thicken into a high 40wt by that time if even lasts that long, thus, I would not attempt it unless Amsoil corrects that problem when they launch the reformulated versions of their oil late this summer to meet the new API SM/ILSAC GF-4 standards.
l
That is exactly what happened in a Amsoil test I read about. it thickened into a mid 40wt oil. after about 12K mi.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

My new TSX now has about 7600 miles on it,...
woa that user name hasn't been taken until you came along, amazing !
Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Racer

i think the first oil change should be sooner i changed mine at 6000 and it was black as hell ran so much smoother once changed
Old 07-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Got Ramen?

i was told 5000mi at the dealer...so one more fillup of gas and time to get my first oil change
Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
While I have great respect for your posts (they are very detailed and informed) I would not go contrary to Honda/Acura's specific instructions not to do the first oil change sooner than manual recommends.
Honda Australia service schedule for the Accord Euro (AUDM TSX) is 600miles for the first change, and then every 6000 miles or 6 months after for the subsequent changes with 10W-30 oil.

So who is right? Honda Australia or Acura?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
jlukja,

Michael
And I can show you just as well that having followed Honda instructions in this case has led to no long term issues on my engine just as well.

Michael, you seem to know your stuff well about oil, but I think you are missing out on something important here. It is possible that Honda deliberately wants the engine to run with those extra metallic particles to help wear and smoothen out the hones of a brand new cylinder wall. This is part of what we call cylinder break-in (that sound familiar??), and it will help the piston rings seal tight and firmly earlier on. Just like our engines are all redlined before our ownership.

Thanks for the enlightment about Redline/Amsoil though.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Advanced

I changing oil on 3600km, it cost about 100$
Old 07-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael
In addition, there are higher levels of boron, a stabilizer.

Did you do some analysis? A buddy of mine did and found the same results as you, but you have stated it much more clearly than I ever could.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aaronng
Honda Australia service schedule for the Accord Euro (AUDM TSX) is 600miles for the first change, and then every 6000 miles or 6 months after for the subsequent changes with 10W-30 oil.

So who is right? Honda Australia or Acura?
Do you drive a Honda or an Acura? LOL

My point was to follow the manual. I do not have an answer as to why essentially the same engine would have two differenent instructions. Unless the new Accord Euro come with a different factory oil than the US TSXs.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
6th Gear

I've decided to follow the manual

This discussion thread has been informative. With the wide range of opinions on this issue, however, I've decided to just follow what the manual says! I don't detect any problems thus far, so I trust that getting my first oil change close to 10K (I'll probably go a little earlier than that!) should be ok.

And yes, I was surprised that no one has taken the tsxowner user name yet!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Overlord

With the wide range of opinions on this issue, however, I've decided to just follow what the manual says!
If "normal" conditions suggest 10K, and "extreme" conditions suggest 5K, I think I'll split the difference and go with a nice middle-ground 7500 miles.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by moda_way
In addition, there are higher levels of boron, a stabilizer.

Did you do some analysis? A buddy of mine did and found the same results as you, but you have stated it much more clearly than I ever could.
The highest B levels I've seen in the Honda factory fill is around 40ppm, which is basically "nothing" IMO.

If you'd like to see all of 'em, go to the UOA section on Bobistheoilguy and search for Acura TL.

BTW, Havoline 5w-20 has 60ppm according to the VOA that I had done. (B)

Michael
Old 07-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

The highest B levels I've seen in the Honda factory fill is around 40ppm, which is basically "nothing" IMO.

If you'd like to see all of 'em, go to the UOA section on Bobistheoilguy and search for Acura TL.

BTW, Havoline 5w-20 has 60ppm according to the VOA that I had done. (B)

Michael
Michael,

Have you seen an analysis done of the factory oil that the Australian Accord is shipped with? Or, can you speculate on why Honda would recommend the first change at 1000km on the Australian Accord (so different from what Acura recommends for the TSX here in North America)
Old 07-16-2005, 04:13 AM
10th Gear

Wink Oil Change????????

Follow the manual. It says first oil change is due on 10K miles . Check your oil everytime when you fill-up the gas. Only change your oil when you see some "stuff" in your oil or if your oil color change. Unless follow the manual and drive normally (specially becareful on start and stop, no rush) . If your oil shown low on the dip-stick, just add it, make sure you check your oil at engine cold and park your car level (untile 10K). Your car will be fine for a life time.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:10 PM

Michael,

Have you seen an analysis done of the factory oil that the Australian Accord is shipped with? Or, can you speculate on why Honda would recommend the first change at 1000km on the Australian Accord (so different from what Acura recommends for the TSX here in North America)
Why? Don't know.

Factory Fill on the Australian Accord if it contains the EXACT same engine is probably the same, doubt they'd go through the trouble to fill it with different oil.

BTW, I'd like to add that the 3.5L V-6 in the Honda Pilot has the same do not change the factory fill early warning. However, that exact same engine is used in the Saturn VUE, as the V6 engine is supplied by Honda, exact same one that's from the Honda Pilot.

However, the Saturn owner's manual has no such warning on not changing the factory fill early, go figure.

Michael
Old 07-16-2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheBiggyBik
Follow the manual. It says first oil change is due on 10K miles . Check your oil everytime when you fill-up the gas. Only change your oil when you see some "stuff" in your oil or if your oil color change. Unless follow the manual and drive normally (specially becareful on start and stop, no rush) . If your oil shown low on the dip-stick, just add it, make sure you check your oil at engine cold and park your car level (untile 10K). Your car will be fine for a life time.
5,000 miles...not a mile longer.

The manual says that you must wait a minimum of 5,000 miles...so 5,000 is sufficient if you really want to leave the factory fill in.

Michael
Old 07-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Driver/Detailer

Do you drive a Honda or an Acura? LOL

My point was to follow the manual. I do not have an answer as to why essentially the same engine would have two differenent instructions. Unless the new Accord Euro come with a different factory oil than the US TSXs.
We don't have Acura here in Australia. The MDX is sold here by Honda and we have equivalent models. The Integra Type S (just came out this year) is the equivalent to your RSX-S (we had the Type R before but it was killed) and the Accord Euro is your TSX but without navi and only 187hp. We don't have the TL here, but we'll be getting the SH-AWD RL this year.

The engine oil should be the same as our cars come off the same production line, unless Honda actually stocks different engine oils for different each VIN batch destined for a country.

Furthermore, our 6000mile/6 month service is the regular schedule. Our severe schedule is even tighter!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by aaronng
We don't have Acura here in Australia. The MDX is sold here by Honda and we have equivalent models. The Integra Type S (just came out this year) is the equivalent to your RSX-S (we had the Type R before but it was killed) and the Accord Euro is your TSX but without navi and only 187hp. We don't have the TL here, but we'll be getting the SH-AWD RL this year.
He was pulling ur leg there We, in North America (at least those of us on AZ), know very well that Acura is a NA-only brand.

A bit of an aside, I was surprised to see quite a bit of Honda in Hong Kong (I was just there for a bit) rebadged as Acura! Think I should report it in one of those re/de-badging threads
Old 07-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Team Owner

Yep, just playing with you. I thought the LOL (laughing out loud) would have been the giveaway.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
He was pulling ur leg there We, in North America (at least those of us on AZ), know very well that Acura is a NA-only brand.

A bit of an aside, I was surprised to see quite a bit of Honda in Hong Kong (I was just there for a bit) rebadged as Acura! Think I should report it in one of those re/de-badging threads
There is a rumour that they are trying to bring the Acura brand over here. I suspect they are trying to do the same as what Lexus did all those years ago. But first I think they'll spread the Acura name around to the other countries first, and then here to Australia.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
6th Gear

conflicting information

So I just called an Acura dealer near where I work and the service guy said that I'm supposed to get my first oil change at 5k. This directly conflicts with information that the dealer (Serramonte) provided me when I bought the car. The service guy that I just spoke to said that the first should be at 5k and then you can get oil changes at every 10k miles thereafter.

I am bringing my car in tomorrow! They really need to clarify this issue and provide consistent information to owners.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Luke 1:37

So I just called an Acura dealer near where I work and the service guy said that I'm supposed to get my first oil change at 5k. This directly conflicts with information that the dealer (Serramonte) provided me when I bought the car. The service guy that I just spoke to said that the first should be at 5k and then you can get oil changes at every 10k miles thereafter.

I am bringing my car in tomorrow! They really need to clarify this issue and provide consistent information to owners.

Quick Reply: first oil change