Finally a Test Drive on the TL and TSX!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JTC05
Then why was it put in the car? I have had my fair share of cars with manuals in the past. When you live in the NJ,NY metro area and have to sit in Friday night traffic you would understand why I opted for the Auto. I must also state that the manual feature of the auto is much better than the tiptronic. I am not complaining about the cars mileage, I am just stating that when you drive the car any thing other than like a grandmother, the gas mileage is not that good. I suppose your car is a manual and you feel the auto is a waste. My weekend car is a Factory Five Cobra that I built myself. It has 5-speed in it behind a 331" stroker. The engine was dynoed at 478 hp at 7100 rpm's. The car weighs under 2500lbs., and you probably could not hold the clutch pedal down. I am saying that anyone who questions my style of driving then why did you buy the TSX? Also why do you spend so much time on the forum swapping threads about modifying your cars, adding superchargers, changing the exhaust, cold air kits, etc. etc. If you were a driving enthusiast you wouldn't question my driving or the use of the manual feature of the automatic.
Calm down n00b, i was kidding around
Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
'06 MT TSX
Dan, is that your ride or CGTSX2004's. If it is yours how do you think it compares to the 2005. I held out on getting the 2006 because the dealer had 4 2005's left and I got a good deal on it. Also just a question towards you. When I had my first post you helped me out and were very friendly. Why is it that CGTSX2004 and Gibson are such asses without even knowing me. Is Gibson just protecting CG because I shot back at him? What gives. I have been reding threads on this forum since October 2005, but did not have to join until Feb. when I needed to post my first Thread. One thing I have noticed is that some guys love to jump all over the new guy like he is an outsider. Do they realize at one time they were the new guy and the whole point of the forum is to share info and help eachother out? I enjoy the info from the posts and appreciate it. It would be nice if some would check ther egos though because they don't always know as much as they think they do.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Calm down n00b, i was kidding around
You can see the post above that I sent to Dan. I might be new on your forum but I am 34 years old and have been taking apart cars and working on them since I was 14. You may find that I can help you from time to time.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
My Garage

You can see the post above that I sent to Dan. I might be new on your forum but I am 34 years old and have been taking apart cars and working on them since I was 14. You may find that I can help you from time to time.
It's cool, after being around here a while you will learn that the Mt'ers pick on the AT'ers and vice versa. It's all in good fun
Old 02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
It's cool, after being around here a while you will learn that the Mt'ers pick on the AT'ers and vice versa. It's all in good fun
I understand. It took everthing in me not to get the MT. But one quick memory of the traffic around the Lincoln tunnel and I gave in. I am Signing out. The wife is nagging. Take advantage of your youth and don't get married until your 30. Once your married you end up doing things like buying an automatic and having to watch tv shows together. Pray for me.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Dan, is that your ride or CGTSX2004's. If it is yours how do you think it compares to the 2005. I held out on getting the 2006 because the dealer had 4 2005's left and I got a good deal on it. Also just a question towards you. When I had my first post you helped me out and were very friendly. Why is it that CGTSX2004 and Gibson are such asses without even knowing me. Is Gibson just protecting CG because I shot back at him? What gives. I have been reding threads on this forum since October 2005, but did not have to join until Feb. when I needed to post my first Thread. One thing I have noticed is that some guys love to jump all over the new guy like he is an outsider. Do they realize at one time they were the new guy and the whole point of the forum is to share info and help eachother out? I enjoy the info from the posts and appreciate it. It would be nice if some would check ther egos though because they don't always know as much as they think they do.
I have driven cars most people only dream of and have plenty of performance driving experience and training. When someone comes on this board and complains about not being able to get the gas mileage advertised, it becomes immediately obvious to me that it is their driving that is at fault, not the car. Several members have demonstrated that it is possible to get well above the 30 mpg advertised fuel mileage.

And with regards to enjoying the drive, I leadfoot it as much as the next guy starting from a stop, but I also know when to cruise. It sounds to me like you're always trying to accelerate instead of learning when to keep the throttle steady to maintain steady pacing for better fuel economy. What works for your other cars will not necessarily work for this one so YOU, as the driver, need to learn to adapt your driving style to the car, not the other way around.

And as Dan Martin said, I have an 06 MT TSX. I had an 04 AT that I traded in. I live in the DC metro area where traffic is just as bad as it is in NY/NJ area. If you really love to drive, traffic is not a serious deterrent to getting an MT. My impressions on the 06 MT can be found throughout several threads dedicated to that subject.

And finally, I hate s that come on this board and the first few things they post are whining about something being wrong with the car, especially the ones related to not getting the advertised fuel economy. Fix your driving style and the economy will come naturally. Complaining isn't going to improve your fuel economy.

/rant
Old 02-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
...but I live in Oklahoma.
right ! as in dead-flat Oklahoma.

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
One thing I would like to ask to TSX owners, is the power adequate? I’m sure at sea level it’s not an issue but what about on high elevation areas as well as mountain driving? Does the 4-cyl strain/stress when driving/climbing on high-mountain passes?
I first started to get disappointed with TSX power when I was driving up, by myself, a long hill, not mountain pass.
I got really disappointed the 2nd time going up with 2 passengers.
no torque, I nearly had to floor it
Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I have driven cars most people only dream of and have plenty of performance driving experience and training. When someone comes on this board and complains about not being able to get the gas mileage advertised, it becomes immediately obvious to me that it is their driving that is at fault, not the car. Several members have demonstrated that it is possible to get well above the 30 mpg advertised fuel mileage.

And with regards to enjoying the drive, I leadfoot it as much as the next guy starting from a stop, but I also know when to cruise. It sounds to me like you're always trying to accelerate instead of learning when to keep the throttle steady to maintain steady pacing for better fuel economy. What works for your other cars will not necessarily work for this one so YOU, as the driver, need to learn to adapt your driving style to the car, not the other way around.

And as Dan Martin said, I have an 06 MT TSX. I had an 04 AT that I traded in. I live in the DC metro area where traffic is just as bad as it is in NY/NJ area. If you really love to drive, traffic is not a serious deterrent to getting an MT. My impressions on the 06 MT can be found throughout several threads dedicated to that subject.

And finally, I hate s that come on this board and the first few things they post are whining about something being wrong with the car, especially the ones related to not getting the advertised fuel economy. Fix your driving style and the economy will come naturally. Complaining isn't going to improve your fuel economy.

/rant
I have never complained about the mileage. I was stating to the original post that do not let the mileage betwween the TSX and the TL be a factor. I love my car for what it is and I love commuting with it. My commute is congested highway. I don't get to just cruise. It appears you are starting a battle with me over my complaining, which I never did. The fact that I chose an automatic over a stick is because this is my commuter car. I have a weekend car. I definitely am not a person who constantly accellerates and coasts and accelerates and coasts. That drives me crazy. I have 2 miles of local, two toll plazas, and 5 on ramps and off ramps. I am on 4 different highways during 25 miles. I know how to drive and I don't see hoe someone with over 17,000 posts even has time to drive cars that people only dream of. You are an asshole and give this site a bad name. I amm also a member of VW Vortex for 5 years and Audiworld forum for three. Before the TSX I had VW and still have an Audi. I have never received feedback from anyone like I have from you. Why don't you get a life, stay off of the board for a while and let people trade opinions with eachother like it was intended for. Every other feedback I have recieved has been friendly so I feel safe to say that just because you live on this board does not mean you speak for everyone. If you decide to look into my previous posts, you will see thet have been inquisitive questions and for a "n00b" I have already gave a post with info on hooking up a P.I.E. X3 since nobody else has and there wiring harness has to be modified. I don't know if your claimed experience is true nor do I car. What I do know is that I have been an avid auto enthusiast since I can remember and have been a gearhead since a teen. I even worked as a mechanic while going through college for Mechanical Engineering. I was ASE certified in suspension, brakes, and diagnostics. I have both drag raced and autocrossed. And I have raced my Cobra at Lymerock and the Poconos. So as I might be new I am not inexperienced.You should not judge without knowing.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Have camera, will travel

I have never complained about the mileage. I was stating to the original post that do not let the mileage betwween the TSX and the TL be a factor. I love my car for what it is and I love commuting with it. My commute is congested highway. I don't get to just cruise. It appears you are starting a battle with me over my complaining, which I never did. The fact that I chose an automatic over a stick is because this is my commuter car. I have a weekend car. I definitely am not a person who constantly accellerates and coasts and accelerates and coasts. That drives me crazy. I have 2 miles of local, two toll plazas, and 5 on ramps and off ramps. I am on 4 different highways during 25 miles. I know how to drive and I don't see hoe someone with over 17,000 posts even has time to drive cars that people only dream of. You are an asshole and give this site a bad name. I amm also a member of VW Vortex for 5 years and Audiworld forum for three. Before the TSX I had VW and still have an Audi. I have never received feedback from anyone like I have from you. Why don't you get a life, stay off of the board for a while and let people trade opinions with eachother like it was intended for. Every other feedback I have recieved has been friendly so I feel safe to say that just because you live on this board does not mean you speak for everyone. If you decide to look into my previous posts, you will see thet have been inquisitive questions and for a "n00b" I have already gave a post with info on hooking up a P.I.E. X3 since nobody else has and there wiring harness has to be modified. I don't know if your claimed experience is true nor do I car. What I do know is that I have been an avid auto enthusiast since I can remember and have been a gearhead since a teen. I even worked as a mechanic while going through college for Mechanical Engineering. I was ASE certified in suspension, brakes, and diagnostics. I have both drag raced and autocrossed. And I have raced my Cobra at Lymerock and the Poconos. So as I might be new I am not inexperienced.You should not judge without knowing.
Dude, really, just chill. No one is attacking you personally. Just go with the flow and you'll dovetail in nicely around here. Most who post here are auto enthusiasts, like yourself, so we all have something in common. Namely, we're car crazy!

Occasionally you'll bump heads with other members. It's no big deal really, just try not to be defensive about it. We all have opinions.

Enjoy your TSX.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waTSX
Dude, really, just chill. No one is attacking you personally. Just go with the flow and you'll dovetail in nicely around here. Most who post here are auto enthusiasts, like yourself, so we all have something in common. Namely, we're car crazy!

Occasionally you'll bump heads with other members. It's no big deal really, just try not to be defensive about it. We all have opinions.

Enjoy your TSX.
All I am looking for is a place of fellow enthusiasts and people who chose the TSX for the same reason that I did. I just did not need to be blasted by someone telling me that I don't know how to drive because I don't get the same gas mileage he did. I would have thought that Moderators would be the last person to disrespect someone. One of the first things that I did when I joined was read the rules. #2 states never to disrespect and it would be controlled by a moderator. It just baffled me that was the response that I got from one. However I am looking forward to many more posts because I know that I am just at the begining of what I am going to modify on my car. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 PM
My Garage

All I am looking for is a place of fellow enthusiasts and people who chose the TSX for the same reason that I did. I just did not need to be blasted by someone telling me that I don't know how to drive because I don't get the same gas mileage he did. I would have thought that Moderators would be the last person to disrespect someone. One of the first things that I did when I joined was read the rules. #2 states never to disrespect and it would be controlled by a moderator. It just baffled me that was the response that I got from one. However I am looking forward to many more posts because I know that I am just at the begining of what I am going to modify on my car. Thanks.
This is a forum and you're right, there are rules, but you have to understand that this is also the internet and people come here to post opinions. Some opinions you will like and some you won't. But please to not take everything so personally.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

there are rules ?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I have driven cars most people only dream of and have plenty of performance driving experience and training. When someone comes on this board and complains about not being able to get the gas mileage advertised, it becomes immediately obvious to me that it is their driving that is at fault, not the car.
Well, this is going to sound crazy to you, but the second car I ever owned was a Legend Coupe - the original. It was beautiful car - not very fast, but a great cruiser. I kept it for about 9 years and was sad to see it go. It was automatic, BTW. I didn't know how to drive a manual back then.

Anyway, about 6-7 years in to my ownership experience, the fuel economy dropped to about 1/2 of what it had been. I didn't suddenly forget how to drive and my driving pattern didn't change. I brought the car in for service several times, but they could never find anything wrong with it.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
One thing I would like to ask to TSX owners, is the power adequate? I’m sure at sea level it’s not an issue but what about on high elevation areas as well as mountain driving? Does the 4-cyl strain/stress when driving/climbing on high-mountain passes? The reason for this line of questioning is my wife and I do some traveling from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas and California and we do pass by some high elevation areas. The 2000 Honda Odyssey that I drive had more than enough power when driving on those areas I mentioned and sometimes I also drive my ’03 Nissan Xterra SE/SC, as you can see both are 6-cyl power plant. I have never owned/driven a car yet with a 4 banger since settling down here in Utah 9 years ago. Well any feedback are welcome!!
The thing about the TSX's engine is that it has stages in which the engine changes character. From 1000-3000rpm, it drives like a camry 2.2L and sips fuel like one too. Then from 3000-5000rpm, it is like a 3.0L V6 when driven between 2000-4000rpm. From 5000-7200rpm, it is even more responsive! That's the good part about i-vtec. You can have almost V6-like performance but still drive sedately to get 4 banger fuel consumption.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by huckleberry
I first started to get disappointed with TSX power when I was driving up, by myself, a long hill, not mountain pass.
What RPM were you in? For a 4-cylinder engine, you have to be at the right RPM AND give throttle. If you give full throttle at too low an RPM, you won't get enough torque. That's how an NA 4 banger works.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by huckleberry
right ! as in dead-flat Oklahoma.

Oklahoma as in most of the tracks are at or below 1200 ft elevation
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by aaronng
The thing about the TSX's engine is that it has stages in which the engine changes character. From 1000-3000rpm, it drives like a camry 2.2L and sips fuel like one too.
The 2.2L 5S-FE Camry engine you are probably referring to is both smoother and more efficient than the K24 in my experience (driven both extensively).

Then from 3000-5000rpm, it is like a 3.0L V6 when driven between 2000-4000rpm.

The only 3.0L V6 I can think of that the TSX engine pulls as hard as is maybe the one in the old Taurus. Nothing in Honda, Toyota, or Nissan's line-up in the past decade.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The 2.2L 5S-FE Camry engine you are probably referring to is both smoother and more efficient than the K24 in my experience (driven both extensively).

The only 3.0L V6 I can think of that the TSX engine pulls as hard as is maybe the one in the old Taurus. Nothing in Honda, Toyota, or Nissan's line-up in the past decade.
92 to 99 Maxima's (92 to 94 SE only)had a 3.0L with 190hp the TSX pulls HARDER than that V6 did. Acceleration numbers prove that.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:26 PM
7th Gear

I am almost at 5,000 miles on the odo. I have not been able to pass about 300-315 miles on a tank. I have not taken it on a long highway trip, but on the 25 mile commute at 75-80 mph and very little stop and go it keeps coming back with 21-22 mpg. I think it has to do with mostly the auto trans and a little with a heavy foot from stops. I'm over 3,000 on the tach at these speeds. What is it with a manual?
Been driving my '04 MT around NYC for about 8 months. I've been getting a consistent 25mpg from the west side highway up the sawmill (many stoplights) to Tarrytown (~25 miles) and not really trying to conserve the gas. I run only 93 octane and the consensus is if you use lower octane MPG will decrease to just a little shy of break-even price-wise (maybe actually break even with gas prices where they are at). On road trips to MA I usually get around 31-33 mpg running on 84 to the Mass Pike. Just anecdotal, but that's what I get.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I filled up tonight, and I calculate 25.8 mpg. That's "city" driving, which includes the in-town freeway driving, but it's still mostly city driving. If I want to really baby it, I can get over 26 easy. If I do more highway driving, I have gotten nearly 28. (I'm not sure if I've measured an all-highway tank... The MPG is so good, I can go to my destination and back... )

I drive an MT if that makes a difference. I generally keep the rpms at about 3K or below when crusing. When accelerating, I do not take it to the redline, but shift early, when I'm conserving fuel. (I guess shifting at 4k would be ok -- not sure that I want to pick an exact number.) I still can usually go as fast or faster than most people from the stop light (and I'm not that interested in always trying to be first). I think that if you are a bit conservative, you can still rev it when you need to, and still get decent milage.

I love being able to enjoy driving and still get about 26 MPG!

Having said all of that, I have read about people getting different performances out of their cars (natural variances? some cars built on fridays?), so it might not just be someone's driving -- it could just be that particular car. It's pretty clear, though, that in general, the TSX gets great gas milage, and that 25+ should be pretty easy. Or is that just for manual shift?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 AM
Driver/Detailer

The 2 Camrys with the 5S-FE were rougher. THey were autos, so I can't compare fuel consumption figures (they were higher than my 6MT).

Nissan's 3.0 V6 doesn't pull as hard. It is smooth and pulls the same at the whole RPM range. But once the K24A hits 4000rpm, it matches the V6. It was a 00' Maxima. The car is still here (gf's car) and I still get to feel the smooth sluggishness.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I filled up tonight, and I calculate 25.8 mpg. That's "city" driving, which includes the in-town freeway driving, but it's still mostly city driving. If I want to really baby it, I can get over 26 easy. If I do more highway driving, I have gotten nearly 28. (I'm not sure if I've measured an all-highway tank... The MPG is so good, I can go to my destination and back... )

I drive an MT if that makes a difference. I generally keep the rpms at about 3K or below when crusing. When accelerating, I do not take it to the redline, but shift early, when I'm conserving fuel. (I guess shifting at 4k would be ok -- not sure that I want to pick an exact number.) I still can usually go as fast or faster than most people from the stop light (and I'm not that interested in always trying to be first). I think that if you are a bit conservative, you can still rev it when you need to, and still get decent milage.

I love being able to enjoy driving and still get about 26 MPG!

Having said all of that, I have read about people getting different performances out of their cars (natural variances? some cars built on fridays?), so it might not just be someone's driving -- it could just be that particular car. It's pretty clear, though, that in general, the TSX gets great gas milage, and that 25+ should be pretty easy. Or is that just for manual shift?
I believe that the auto is giving way to 2-3 mpg. When compared to how the car performed for Car and Driver and Road&Track, one got 24 mpg with the 04 & the 06 on 750 and 800 mile loops. R&T als got 24 at 700 miles. Considering that I run through a full mix with 3 good accelerating into traffic points I guess the 22 with auto is about right. I know the magazines are wringing them out, but they do put in highway time also to judge how well it does. I also like to wring mine out a little when I have an open shot to accelerate a little from either a toll or on ramp. That is what makes the car enjoyable. As a reference I compared how the other competitors in its class did and they ranged from 20-24 over the same loops.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
92 to 99 Maxima's (92 to 94 SE only)had a 3.0L with 190hp the TSX pulls HARDER than that V6 did. Acceleration numbers prove that.

Let's not look at the 190hp figure. Yes, the TSX has a peak hp number higher.

However, the Maxima's VQ V6 made 205lb-ft of torque at 4000rpm, much more torque than the TSX, sooner than the TSX.

At 3014lbs, with 205lb-ft of torque on tap, a 99 Maxima with it's 3.0L V6 with "only" 190hp will stomp a TSX into the dirt. Edmunds.com clocked the 99 Maxima at 0-60 in 6.6 seconds... so what acceleration numbers were you speaking of?

The TSX is a good car, but it doesn't have a V6... nor does it have a four-cylinder that is a substitute for a V6. Peak hp means nothing for off-the-line power, that's what torque is for - and the TSX is severely lacking. I'm not basing this on the TSX on paper, either.. I lived with one for a month. It needs more power, plain and simple.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by aaronng
Nissan's 3.0 V6 doesn't pull as hard. It is smooth and pulls the same at the whole RPM range. But once the K24A hits 4000rpm, it matches the V6. It was a 00' Maxima. The car is still here (gf's car) and I still get to feel the smooth sluggishness.
The Maxima must have a knock sensor or coil pack problem, then. It would be several car lengths ahead of the TSX by the time the TSX reached 4000rpm that the race would be over... because the Maxima has what the TSX does not: Torque. And the Maxima has the weight advantage, too.

This isn't "knocking" the TSX. Honda didn't put a V6 in there for a reason. It's still a great car, but to say it has the power of a V6 is false advertising on its behalf. It's just not fair to tell a potential owner that they won't miss a V6 because the TSX's four-cylinder is just as strong. That's lying.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Racer

Let's not look at the 190hp figure. Yes, the TSX has a peak hp number higher.

However, the Maxima's VQ V6 made 205lb-ft of torque at 4000rpm, much more torque than the TSX, sooner than the TSX.

At 3014lbs, with 205lb-ft of torque on tap, a 99 Maxima with it's 3.0L V6 with "only" 190hp will stomp a TSX into the dirt. Edmunds.com clocked the 99 Maxima at 0-60 in 6.6 seconds... so what acceleration numbers were you speaking of?

The TSX is a good car, but it doesn't have a V6... nor does it have a four-cylinder that is a substitute for a V6. Peak hp means nothing for off-the-line power, that's what torque is for - and the TSX is severely lacking. I'm not basing this on the TSX on paper, either.. I lived with one for a month. It needs more power, plain and simple.
The mighty max definately beats it to 60mph but to 100 the TSX beats the maxima...when I get home for lunch or get home from work today I'll pull the 0-100 numbers for you guys. TSX is typically 19 to 20 seconds the maximas with manual transmissions are typically a few seconds behind that mark.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Racer

The Maxima must have a knock sensor or coil pack problem, then. It would be several car lengths ahead of the TSX by the time the TSX reached 4000rpm that the race would be over... because the Maxima has what the TSX does not: Torque. And the Maxima has the weight advantage, too.

This isn't "knocking" the TSX. Honda didn't put a V6 in there for a reason. It's still a great car, but to say it has the power of a V6 is false advertising on its behalf. It's just not fair to tell a potential owner that they won't miss a V6 because the TSX's four-cylinder is just as strong. That's lying.
I think it depends...honda's V6 of the mid/late 90s has similar torque numbers to the TSX it had adaquate power. Granted it was 200lbs lighter which helps...If all your after is power go for a TL or a Maxima or an Altima...I feel from my test drives the TSX is definately a sporting sedan. Yes it lacks low end torque but last I checked stoplights are NOT our own NHRA proving grounds.

You wanna talk about torque my car has torque and you know what? All I do is spin the living piss out of my tires in the first 2 gears and I turn them again hard shifting to 3rd at WOT. So much torque that its almost unusable. My car runs 13.30s (probably 13.1s with my recent tune) at 105 mph and I found the TSX to be just as fun in the twisties...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Racer

One more thing the VQ engine didn't make the max's until 2000. 95 to 99 was the VE30DT I believe...

I'm trying to find some numbers for us right now
Old 02-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Racer

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...ws/wk9507.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm

I was close on the engine its a VQ30DE which is significantly different from the current VQ engine...

the prior generation had the VE designation sorry for the confusion and I stand corrected on that area...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 AM
VSA Rocks

Dude -- you should really let it go already. While I've seen your share of TSX-bashing posts, I think you'll have to live with the fact that:
1. People on this board will continue to love their TSX
2. It is pointless to convince them that driving a Maxima is "more fun"

Yes, to some people who want a V6 or Hemi, the TSX is complete garbage. For folks that love the high-revving hondas and came from ITRs, I-GSR's, Preludes, and S2000's, the torque on tap and power is more than adequate. Additionally, we all know how far and beyond the ol' B-series motors have gone in the tuner world. Some K-series owners like myself happen to think its the B-series of the new generation and have no desire for a single cam, J-series motor designed for low-end power.

Can we move on now?

Back on topic, TSXmiester, I really think the TL will suit your needs best especially after reading that you're looking for an AT that is capable of hill climbing and passing. It seems power is definately a priority for you and don't think you could go wrong with the TL. On the other hand, if you were more concerned about handling, the TSX will fit the bill nicely.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:17 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Can we move on now?

Back on topic, TSXmiester, I really think the TL will suit your needs best especially after reading that you're looking for an AT that is capable of hill climbing and passing. It seems power is definately a priority for you and don't think you could go wrong with the TL. On the other hand, if you were more concerned about handling, the TSX will fit the bill nicely.[/QUOTE]

Black_6Spd thanks for your suggestion....I'll keep that in mind. Your statement on the TL is quite close to the driving condition which I may encounter a lot of times on my travel. When I get back to the dealership at the end of March, I will request another test drive of the TSX and make the final decision. I will definitely let you folks know what car I purchase on that faithful day!!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Driver/Detailer

It was probably gearing. The Maxima is a 4AT (no manual Maximas since 1999 here). From start, my 6MT would have torque multiplication ratios of 15.5 in 1st and 8.25 in 2nd gears. The Maxima would have 10.55 in 1st and 5.85 in 2nd. Multiply that with the output torque will give the TSX more output torque than the Maxima in both gears. Then, factor in that the auto has more drivetrain loss than a manual and that the Maxima is slightly heavier by 150 lbs.

I'm not saying that the inline-4 of the TSX will replace a V6. They are 2 engines with totally different driving characteristics. From idle to 3000rpm, the V6 would pull better and harder than the inline-4. For people who drive sedately at low RPM, the V6 would be better for them. I'm just saying that because of the i-vtec system, the TSX's engine can be driven like a fuel-sipping camry or be driven at close to V6 performance. It's like having 2 engines in one!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Advanced

This is defininitely off topic, but since someone brought up the V6 Maxima I figured since I owned it for a while, I would give my . I had a '92 Maxima SE for several years (5sp, 190HP with the dual overhead cam engine) before I got a '00 V6 VW Passat (5sp, 190HP); before I got my 05 6sp TSX.

First off, I enjoy driving the TSX 6sp very much. With that said, I have to say that the maxima with the 5sp had significantly more low end torque and felt a lot faster than the TSX or the Passat. They came without speed governers and had limited slip differential - stock. At any RPM with the TSX, I must honestly say that I have not felt the surge of power that I felt when driving the maxima. As someone else pointed out, the 0-60 of that version of the maxima was 6.6s and the 0.5s difference between the TSX and the Maxima translated to a lot more torque that you could feel. The clutch was a lot "sportier" too with a very short/fast release (this was changed in 00 on the Maximas and therefore became a lot less fun to drive in my opinion). I averaged 23 city/30 hwy gas mileage with that car!

But, there are a 100 other things that are nicer about the TSX so therefore I drive one!