Finally got a new TSX...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 02:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got a new TSX...

Well, I finally took the plunge and purchased a new TSX. White with tan interior and Navi. So far I love this car with only two small complaints so far:

1) WHAT? NO AUTOLAMPS?!! What is with that? Even some crummy econoboxes have AutoLamps as standard. My old 1997 Explorer had this as part of a package with the self-dimming rearview mirror (which the TSX does have). Initially I thought it was a dumb option, now I'm wishing my new TSX had it. I was driving around in the early evening on the day I bought it, thinking my headlights were on (since the dash lights glowed) until people started flashing their lights at me. There is something nice about having my car turn on and off the headlights automatically. Call me lazy. I realize there is the option to have the lights turn off automatically after a few seconds of leaving the car, but they come back on when you open the door, day or night. How stupid is that? Worthless except to keep your battery from being killed by leaving them on.

2) STUPID DOOR LOCK LOCATION AND OPERATION You can't put you arm out the window without your arm running into the door lock plunger. And speaking of the door locks, why no AutoLock when you drive off? Again, my Ford Explorer had this as standard and I miss it. I don't know if other luxury car marques have this feature, but I'd guess they do if Ford has it!

Okay, enough complaining. The car has got to be one of the finest driving cars I've ever driven. I like the clean look of the exterior (unlike most auto critics) and the interior is close to flawless. I would have made the courtesy lights more classy looking when lit (focused beams look far better than diffused). I'm glad I chose it. I got 26.5 MPG on the first tank of gas too, which is a lot better than my Explorer's 16-18 MPG.

Okay, I think I'll go out for a late night drive. I think I'm hooked.

Rick
Old 07-24-2004, 02:16 AM
Subie Tech

I mkust agree on your second point. But...WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 02:19 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people really hate the auto door locks thing. You typically will only find that feature on domestics.

As for the autolamps, ..ya a bit surprised for sure. Maybe its because they are HID's? (i'm not even sure why that would make a difference though)
Old 07-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Intermediate

I guess the lack of AutoLamp and AutoLock will just take some time to get used to. Some of the neighborhoods I drive around in you definitely want to lock you doors!

Come to think of it, I don't like the fact that when you pull the door handle to get out of the car on a locked door, you can't get out. My Ford popped the plunger on the front doors and let you out without having to hit the power door lock switch. But then I think that is a Ford quirk as most other cars don't have that feature. I've had Fords for so long, I just got used to it.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:30 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a thread on how to make the door locks smaller (so you can hang your arm out the window, etc) but I would advise against it. In an emergency you'll want a way to manually unlock the doors.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey welcome Rickkel, and congrads for your car. I too was a little surprised at the lamps, but hey, what can ya do? Rest of the car is great. Nothing to stumble on.

Old 07-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Everyday Joe

[QUOTE=fdl]Most people really hate the auto door locks thing. You typically will only find that feature on domestics.
QUOTE]

I agree...I have it on my rental Jeep Liberty and it is a PIA! You get out and have to unlock all the doors again to get to your stuff in the back seat. Could be a decent feature but it needs some work. D/C is not going to refine that anytime soon!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:23 AM
DGH
What, me worry?

My 2000 Civic Si has Autolock, and I hate it.

But to each his own. Ideally this would be made programmable, so that the owner could have it the way he wanted. Hey, what a selling feature!!
Old 07-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Mmmm... tasty.

Welcome to the board Rickkel! And props to your choice of color. PWP with is sweet... not that I'm biased.

Yeah, I wish I had autolocks here too. I also keep forgetting to turn on my headlights since the glowing cluster makes it look like my lights are on.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Banned

Last Acura I drove was 90 Legend...it has Autolock AND Auto-Unlock...anyone one know since when this was changed to the current mode ?

By Autolamp you mean daily-ltime running lights ?
Personally think it's frigging idiotic...have the headlights on on a spanking bright day.
Must be thought up by some neurotic, obsessive-compulsive "safety-guru", and I bet it's an American "originality"

>>I was driving around in the early evening on the day I bought it, thinking my headlights were on until people >>started flashing their lights at me.

huh ? last time I checked SD was nowhere near the south pole.
early evening in the summer in SD...was it really that dark or you just got a lot of those neurotic wacko there ?

I thank goodness TSX doesn't have that.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Jewdacris!!

I agree iron chef..the idea of having your lights on during the day is dumb to me...im sure there is a good argument for it, but i just think it defeats the purpose of the SUN! haha
Old 07-24-2004, 05:20 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by iron_chef
By Autolamp you mean daily-ltime running lights ?
I think he means "auto-on" headlights via sensor, not DRLs
Old 07-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

AutoLamps are NOT DTR Lamps

Yeah, I definitely meant AutoLamps, I can't stand DTR Lamps. Our VW EuroVan Camper has DTR Lamps and I've gone through two headlamps in as many years since they are on all of the time.

And just so you know, DTR's aren't an American idea. I believe they originate from Canada where all cars must have them. Indeed they do save a few lives, probably during that time of the day when it's twilight since most people don't turn their headlamps on soon enough or during rain/snow storms (which happen in Canada much more then here). Mandating AutoLamps on all cars would solve that problem too, along with making me happy - and that is the most important thing (heh heh).

And yes the AutoLock feature is programmable (on Fords at least). A few codes on the outside keyless lock pad is all it takes to disable them if you don't want it. Come to think of it, I miss that keyless lock pad too. Okay, this sounds like I'm a big complainer. Pretty soon someone is going to post "Why didn't you just get a new Ford if you wanted all that stuff dumbazz...."
Old 07-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Banned

>>And just so you know, DTR's aren't an American idea. I believe they originate from Canada

Thanks for clearing this up
Old 07-26-2004, 10:26 AM
DGH
What, me worry?

DRLs have been law in Canada since 1989, but the idea originated in Europe. Finland has required DRLs since 1972. Other Northern European countries also mandate DRLs.