Fair and square comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We all just have to take a breather and remember that B-D only selectively listens to facts and seems to be missing at least a part of that "common-sense gene" that is fairly common amongst Acura customers.

I truly believe at this point that it doesn't matter what any person or publication says about the TSX, because the BMW will be better to B-D, no matter what. Now THAT is some seriously powerful brand marketing, which just has to leave you in awe (the only awe I have for BMW).
Old 08-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am willing to bet that Acura will sooner or later join the likes of A4, BMW, and Mercedes as well. Not in any presitage level or anything but with cars.

TSX, 1.8T, 325i, C230

???, 3.0, 330, C320 (Blank for now but maybe a type-s?)

TL, A6, 5 series, E Class

As for whether or not the TSX is better then whatever other car, everyone has discussed this im sure til the death of it. Whether whatever looks better, performs better, or the price is better, it only matters to the each of us that likes the car. Buff-Daddy go buy the 330i if you can afford it, if not the 325i or if the TSX. To each his own.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:17 PM

Well accord is already a "audi killer with its performance"
Old 08-15-2003, 10:44 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by adam fiooz
Yup. C&D even did a head to head comparo between the new accord and the Plymouth voyager and the accord came out on top. Much more room for grocery bags and soccer balls.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:46 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by adam fiooz
Where's the quote from?

SPUDMTN
Old 08-16-2003, 01:51 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by Santacruz
I think you're missing the point. Every other car company comes onto the scene positioning themselves as the BMW killer. And that usually ends up being a poor strategy because of BMW performance advantage, even if it is a slight advantage. What's being suggested is that Acura is ignoring BMW and marketing the TSX as an Audi killer.
Someone else understands what I was saying! WOO HOO!

SPUDMTN
Old 08-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vitocorleone
We all just have to take a breather and remember that B-D only selectively listens to facts and seems to be missing at least a part of that "common-sense gene" that is fairly common amongst Acura customers.

I truly believe at this point that it doesn't matter what any person or publication says about the TSX, because the BMW will be better to B-D, no matter what. Now THAT is some seriously powerful brand marketing, which just has to leave you in awe (the only awe I have for BMW).
----------------------------------------------------------

Well since I am one of the only ones here that owns both an Acura and a BMW, maybe you should shut your mouth and open your ears. My 99 Acura CL 3.0 has been a very reliable vehicle, but it's lack of performance (even with the V6) and minor annoyances (rattles & squeeks from cheap components) have made me think twice about leasing another one.
My BMW on the other hand has also been a solid performer, thier customer service has been the best I've had and the vehicle is nothing but fun.
The Acura is the better deal, but the 3-Series is better looking and more fun to drive. That's my opinion, but I think it is the auto industries opinioin as well.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:20 PM
More On

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
.....Good Creativity Larchmont, that was just as funny as the last time you posted it on a different thread... Maybe you think the car is worth $26,990, but I don't... It isn't the discount, it's the price... When I can get it for the same as the Accord (because that is really what it is) then it will be worth it...
Hey, Buff, how ya doin', been a while! You say a lot of good stuff, sometimes people here give you too much of a hard time.

But that's not gonna stop me from joining the fun!

So -- lemme ask you this: Why don't you just get an Accord?

Oh, I see -- because you like the TSX better.

Hmmmmm.

Then, why do you think the price of the TSX should be just the price of the Accord?

We'll let him chew on that for a while!
Old 08-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Racer

Buff-dude, you're just too EZ! I can't wait for your future post announcing that your "settling" for the TSX because you couldn't get the deal you wanted on the BMW!

Until then, keep fighting the good fight!
Old 08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
More On

Can't wait for his answer about why he doesn't just get an Accord. This should be interesting.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Can't wait for his answer about why he doesn't just get an Accord. This should be interesting.
umm...are you kidding buff in an accord!? he'd rather shop at wal-mart.

okay, okay, In his abscence I'll be buff...

shut your hole Larchmont!
Old 08-16-2003, 02:49 PM
More On

Originally posted by Santacruz
.....okay, okay, In his abscence I'll be buff...

shut your hole Larchmont!

Let's see if he can do any better than that, though.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Racer

Ouch.. tag team...
Old 08-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Pro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys, sorry I'm late... I was at the dealership most of the day.

1st things 1st - I only mention the Accord because all of you guys preach value and reliability 24/7. When the TSX is being compared to the 3-Series, you get on your soap-box about standard features, reliability record (which the TSX is too new to have) and "bang for your buck". However, when the arguement turns to the Accord, you want to change the rules because you all know that the Accord is a better deal with all the same features, V6 and Honda reliability. So then you change your tune and start talking about styling and handling.
What I was pointing out is that the TSX is in the middle and it is proven by all of your own arguements. It has more style and handling than the Accord and it is a better value than the BMW. But at the same time, it is NOT a better value than the Accord and it does not have better styling or handling than the BMW.
The truth is, the Accord sedan is one UGLY vehicle. The coupe is better, but still not great, but you cannot argue that they are a good value. That price, combined with the TSX's improved looks, would be a winner. That is all I mentioned the Accord for.

And you will be happy to know that this is my last post. Since my dealer could not find the exact 3-Series I wanted, we struck a deal on a car they had on the lot. I am the proud owner of a new 2003 BMW 325xi. Titanium Silver/Black Leather with Auto, Sports Package, Heated Seats, Moon-Roof, Power Seats and Xenons. The problem was that I don't like the Rims that come with the 325xi's sports package, so the deal was that he would swap them out with the M Double Spoke rims that I like from the 330i sports package for $500. Once he agreed to that, I signed the paperwork. The car is being detailed and I pick it up Monday.

It's been fun guys, see you on the road, but I bet you see me 1st!

Old 08-16-2003, 04:17 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st things 1st - I only mention the Accord because all of you guys preach value and reliability 24/7. When the TSX is being compared to the 3-Series, you get on your soap-box about standard features, reliability record (which the TSX is too new to have) and "bang for your buck". However, when the arguement turns to the Accord, you want to change the rules because you all know that the Accord is a better deal with all the same features, V6 and Honda reliability. So then you change your tune and start talking about styling and handling.
What I was pointing out is that the TSX is in the middle and it is proven by all of your own arguements. It has more style and handling than the Accord and it is a better value than the BMW. But at the same time, it is NOT a better value than the Accord and it does not have better styling or handling than the BMW.
The truth is, the Accord sedan is one UGLY vehicle. The coupe is better, but still not great, but you cannot argue that they are a good value. That price, combined with the TSX's improved looks, would be a winner. That is all I mentioned the Accord for.

And you will be happy to know that this is my last post. Since my dealer could not find the exact 3-Series I wanted, we struck a deal on a car they had on the lot. I am the proud owner of a new 2003 BMW 325xi. Titanium Silver/Black Leather with Auto, Sports Package, Heated Seats, Moon-Roof, Power Seats and Xenons. The problem was that I don't like the Rims that come with the 325xi's sports package, so the deal was that he would swap them out with the M Double Spoke rims that I like from the 330i sports package for $500. Once he agreed to that, I signed the paperwork. The car is being detailed and I pick it up Monday.

Make sure you get friendly with the service department guys when you pickupo your car on monday

Just kidding. Congrats...thats a really nice car you got there. But just because you dont have a tsx...doesnt mean you cant post here.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:28 PM
has been here awhile

Buff-

Congrats on the new car...that is one sweet looking machine. I too, like the 330i sport package wheels. The 325xi sport wheels are hideous Though, I really like these wheels--I think they're my favorite:

Anyway, hope you have a great ownership experience. Keep posting here--just because you bought a bimmer doesn't mean all the Acura loyalists will disown you Congrats again!

SPUDMTN
Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Racer

CONGRATULATIONS Buff-Daddy...Damn nice machine! Enjoy and let us know how things go.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

No fucking doubt I will see you first! You are everywhere, I absolutely can NOT drive more than half a mile without seeing at least 5 of them.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:26 PM
More On

BTW he didn't answer the Q -- b/c there WASN'T an answer.
He had a lot of good stuff, but now and then he'd get into dissing and rhetoric for the heck of it. (What the hey, we all do!)

But one thing for sure: What he was saying about the price of the TSX never made any sense.

Lucky for him he got the Bimmer, in the nick of time -- Otherwise he'd have had to keep facing our razor-sharp wit!
And, who wants that?

Prediction: We haven't heard the last from Buff-Daddy!

Meanwhile, have a good one! Ya got yourself a nice car. In fact, I probably would've gotten one myself if it was the same price as an Accord.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Racer

Well congradulations buff. I guess you really got the BMW. How much was it btw? Seemingly that it already has a year deprciation on it. Personally i cannot choose the 325i over the TSX. But again that's jsut me. If it was a 330i in the price of 325i which is still more then the TSX, then that buy is completely justified to me and i would even get it.

Anyways going aside from another battle congradulations really. It just matters if you enjoy your car or not. I hope you keep posting here though. I think it'll be less enjoyable with you. Plus we want to hear how your car is doing. Like any problems you might have. Well i guess i can't really say much myself either... because if i can't get the tsx, i will end up with the c230.

But still congrads man.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:51 PM
More On

Originally posted by finalheaven
......I think it'll be less enjoyable with you.....
Don't worry, Buff -- he meant without you!

Or I think so anyway.

And I agree. Even if some of your opinions were stupid.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Racer

Don't worry, Buff -- he meant without you!

Or I think so anyway.

And I agree. Even if some of your opinions were stupid.
Oops yea i meant it'll be less enjoyable with you! thank you larchy
Old 08-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro

It's a "nice" car and all, but why, oh why, did you go for the porkiest BMW sold in the USA? I can only hope you live somewhere where it snows often to make that AWD worthwhile, since the engine is underpowered for it (just read through all of the BMW boards on the Net).

So... unless it's snowing, out, 1) we'll never be able to tell your car from the zillions of other BMW 3's, and, 2) the BMW 325xi is SLOWER than the TSX. Admittedly, only by fractions of a second, but, since that's all the 325i is faster than the TSX and that seemed to make all the difference in the world to you, I really wonder about you... which again tells me that either you were talkin' out yer a@@, or that the BMW marketing machine sucked you in a spit you out a believer. Add in the extra height for the AWD and, again, unless it's foul weather out, the handling of the xi isn't as good, either....

Good luck with your car.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Racer

Yep, so was I and I also inked a deal....finally a 9-3 Vector with Auto Tranny, Touring Package (6 disk CD Changer, Bi-leveling Xenons, Radar Assist parking), heated seats, and sunroof. I got a great price of $32,500.

I will be in the new car by latest Friday.

Regardless, of what car people may buy, nothing beats the feeling of purchasing something that makes them happy.

Cheers all!
Old 08-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro

93k - i'd be interested (in a separate thread?) to know your honest opinions of the car you purchased as you experience the miles rolling by. The Vector is the only other car I'd consider besides the TSX, but the Saab name and it's associated questionable reliability have kept me away (and the rattles in the TSX may keep me away for longer as well). So... after you've had a chance to put some miles on, your likes, dislikes, quality problems, etc. would be helpful.

EDIT: just looking on Edmunds, I see that the TSX is not alone with its rattles... the 9-3 has it's share, too (primarily a door rattle). Here's hoping both companies work out these quality control issues!
Old 08-16-2003, 07:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by 93Kewl
Yep, so was I and I also inked a deal....finally a 9-3 Vector with Auto Tranny, Touring Package (6 disk CD Changer, Bi-leveling Xenons, Radar Assist parking), heated seats, and sunroof. I got a great price of $32,500.

I will be in the new car by latest Friday.

Regardless, of what car people may buy, nothing beats the feeling of purchasing something that makes them happy.

Cheers all!
Congrats Kewl, Its about time...What Color?

Lets see some pics when you per her up !!
Old 08-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Racer

Vito/Domn,

Thanks guys! It will be a little tough at first giving back my CL-S, it was a great car and I am sure will be resurrected in time to be the G35 coupe killer.

The color I got was Steel Gray...Very similar to Acura's carbon (maybe just a tad lighter).
Old 08-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Add in the extra height for the AWD and, again, unless it's foul weather out, the handling of the xi isn't as good, either....
Isn't as good as what? The sedan without AWD?
Old 08-16-2003, 08:44 PM
More On

Congrats, Kewi!!!! We knew it was an uphill battle to win you over!

Hey, Vito -- You're making it awfully hard for Buff to really stay away!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 08:57 PM
More On

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Oy Kinda harsh, don't you think? Why'd you buy an overweight Acura w/ an underpowered engine? Same kind of statement...
I think this is the first time that Spud mighta missed something.

I think Vito was engaging in a very elegant and well-done parody of himself and all the other TSX'ers who've given guys like Buff and Kewl a hard time on any car besides TSX -- kind of like a fitting summary, or maybe like the final burst of fireworks on the 4th of July.

I'm not sure I'm right, but that's how I saw it. I figured hardly anyone would get it, but I also thought Vito was probably enjoying that nobody but himself might get it.

I thought it was brilliant.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro

Talking

grazie
Old 08-16-2003, 09:05 PM
has been here awhile

I think this is the first time that Spud mighta missed something...
Where'd I miss something?

SPUDMTN
Old 08-16-2003, 09:11 PM
More On

Sorry Spud -- there should be a rule that we give people a few seconds to take back their posts before we hit them over the head with it.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:22 PM
has been here awhile

Sorry Spud -- there should be a rule that we give people a few seconds to take back their posts before we hit them over the head with it.
I think I needed the soft blow to the head. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the "joke"...but I still don't think I do

SPUDMTN

BTW--I sure hope the BMW dude gets the joke...
Old 08-16-2003, 09:28 PM
More On

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
......I sure hope the BMW dude gets the joke...
No way, hozay.