Fair and square comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby Gz, for your own health, lay off the crack pipe.

The TSX is a tank with bad tires. Despite only having a 4-cylinder engine, it is still heavier than the 3-Series with the I6.
It's all conjecture at this point. but I wouldn't be so sure.

The curb weight of the manual 325 that i've seen is 3220. That's non sports package. Add another 50lbs(probably more) minimum for the sports package and suddently the 325 weighs more than the tsx.

The only user we have had that has owned both cars and autoX'd both claimed that he was turning better laptimes and trap speeds on straights with the TSX. He had upgrades wheels + tires on both his cars.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by donutchow
way to talk shit about your possible future new car. would you even get the 6 speed?
-------------------------------------------------

I'm not shitting on it, I'm putting it in it's place. Just because I am looking into buying one doesn't make it the best car. Every car has it's price in my mind and the TSX at MSRP is not worth it to me. The TSX is a great car, but I know where it sits on the totem pole. Under the BMW and above the Accord.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Instructor

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Evo would out-perform the BMW, but if you honestly think that riced-up piece of plastic with the spoiler sitting 8" off of the trunk and the crap interior looks better than any car we have discussed, then you are 18 or under, live at home, play Playstation for 4+ hours a day and are not mature enough to own either the TSX or the BMW.

It can kick-ass, but it is and always will be riced up Mitsubishi Lancer...
yet does 0 to 60 in 5.0 and OUTHANDLES the murcielago on the slalom.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Audi Driving Snob

plus it has a turning radious of 38.7'...bigger than the tsx Jsut thought i'd toss that one in for RB1.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Pro

-------------------------------------

Who cares, if the Pontiac Aztec was putting up better performance #'s than my X5 or the Porsche Cayanne, I still wouldn't buy one. I care about performance, but there are a lot of FUGLY performance cars out there that I would never buy.

And to be honest, I want this 3-Series because I am not so sure the next one coming out is going to be all that good looking. Bangle did ok with the Z4, but the rest haven't impressed me at all...
Old 08-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Instructor

-------------------------------------

Who cares, if the Pontiac Aztec was putting up better performance #'s than my X5 or the Porsche Cayanne, I still wouldn't buy one. I care about performance, but there are a lot of FUGLY performance cars out there that I would never buy.

And to be honest, I want this 3-Series because I am not so sure the next one coming out is going to be all that good looking. Bangle did ok with the Z4, but the rest haven't impressed me at all...
i really want an E46 too, i've driven the 325 and 330. i'd rather have the 325 5 speed and save $6,000
Old 08-14-2003, 02:03 PM
More On

......Every car has it's price in my mind and the TSX at MSRP is not worth it to me.....
I still think that just for Buff, they should raise MSRP a couple thou, then give him a 1K discount off that. Then he'd buy it.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Bangle did ok with the Z4,

And you don't like the Aztek ??
Old 08-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by domn

drive the Z4, and you'll forget about the looks. the manual is a joy to drive, FAST
Old 08-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
I still think that just for Buff, they should raise MSRP a couple thou, then give him a 1K discount off that. Then he'd buy it.
Nice...Laughing my ass off!!
Old 08-14-2003, 02:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
drive the Z4, and you'll forget about the looks. the manual is a joy to drive, FAST
I agree holehardly, I'm sure it drives like a dream. But what an Eye sore.

PS. It finished behind the S2000, 350Z, Boxster and I think another car in a recent MT, R&D or C&D Comparo. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:55 PM
Racer

Bobby Gz, for your own health, lay off the crack pipe.

The TSX is a tank with bad tires. Despite only having a 4-cylinder engine, it is still heavier than the 3-Series with the I6.
1st) Let's add all your packages including the sports and the moonroof then see which is more heavier.

2nd) You are right, the 330i fully loaded with the sports package is one of the best cars around but in a different price range.

3rd) A 325i bare boned without a sport package... i doubt can beat the TSX in handling, and the TSX will come damn close to it in speed as well. Find an article without the sport package 325i...

4th) If you're willing to dish out the dough then go for it, get a better car. As how much its better? is highly subjective.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro

----------------------------------------------------------

Well, Automobile Magazine named the BMW Z4 "Design of the Year" in the January 2003 Issue.

I don't think the Aztec has received that honor, or any other for that matter...
Old 08-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Racer

PS. It finished behind the S2000, 350Z, Boxster and I think another car in a recent MT, R&D or C&D Comparo. Just thought I'd mention it.
In the August 03 issue of Car and Driver... the Z4 did finish 2nd to last. Or at least 4th place with 5 cars.

It lost to the S2000, 350z and the boxster. The only thing it won is the Audi TT.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
--------------------------------------------------------

Good Creativity Larchmont, that was just as funny as the last time you posted it on a different thread... Maybe you think the car is worth $26,990, but I don't... It isn't the discount, it's the price... When I can get it for the same as the Accord (because that is really what it is) then it will be worth it...
Old 08-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro

Originally posted by finalheaven
In the August 03 issue of Car and Driver... the Z4 did finish 2nd to last. Or at least 4th place with 5 cars.

It lost to the S2000, 350z and the boxster. The only thing it won is the Audi TT.
----------------------------------------------

And yet, despite that, I would still buy in this order...

1. Boxster
2. 350z
3. Z4
4. S2000
5. TT
Old 08-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Pro

1st) Let's add all your packages including the sports and the moonroof then see which is more heavier .

Let's add your GED and Community College credits up and see who is the "goodest" English speaker.

You can all call the TSX a better performer than the BMW when ONE SINGLE car enthusiast’s magazine says so... Until then, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 08-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Instructor

And yet, despite that, I would still buy in this order...

1. Boxster
2. 350z
3. Z4
4. S2000
5. TT
they all cost totally different amounts. the 350z has a crappy shifter (i drove one) and it was too harsh for me. and the boxster costs $50,000 ($18,000 more than the S2000).
Old 08-14-2003, 03:41 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Let's add your GED and Community College credits up and see who is the "goodest" English speaker.

You can all call the TSX a better performer than the BMW when ONE SINGLE car enthusiast’s magazine says so... Until then, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

mag racing! LOL I don't believe the tsx is superier to the 325 in any way but value. I also think there is only a very small margin in performance between the two. But if you want to mag race the tsx is faster and better handling than the a4, c230 and saab 9-3 arc. It's also within 1/10 in the 1/4 as a is300 5speed and equal 0-60. EDIT: No i don't buy all this as "fact" but I would say all the cars listed (even the 325) are very comparable.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone that wants the TSX with a V6, in a chassis designed for the extra weight and torque, step right up to the TL with 18" wheels and 6MT.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Racer

Heh... let's wait til actually there is one. A 325 vs TSX? Im betting most magazines will tell you to put the money towards a TSX i can't wait either...

And its kind of funny you had to just fix my grammer instead of arguing against your lame ass shit about the TSX being heavier? I guess you lost that point haven't you? From my knowledge the 330i is better then the TSX but i don't think the 325i is. I guess we can wait and find out.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

I think anybody who argues that the TSX isn't a better value than a 325/IS300/A4 is smokin' crack .... You CANNOT beat the TSX as far as Reliability/Style/Interior/Exterior for the price.... Once the general public/magazines/ect REALLY get ahold of the TSX there will be NO MORE discussions like this because we will clearly see that the TSX is ahead!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by rb4580
I think anybody who argues that the TSX isn't a better value than a 325/IS300/A4 is smokin' crack .... You CANNOT beat the TSX as far as Reliability/Style/Interior/Exterior for the price.... Once the general public/magazines/ect REALLY get ahold of the TSX there will be NO MORE discussions like this because we will clearly see that the TSX is ahead!
Amen.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rb4580
You CANNOT beat the TSX as far as Reliability/Style/Interior/Exterior for the price.... there will be NO MORE discussions like this because we will clearly see that the TSX is ahead!

Ha Ha! "Once the general public/magazines/ect REALLY get ahold of the TSX"... Let's see, you have one and yet you think the magazines are having trouble getting thier hands on one. The truth is that they have had access to this car for about 2 months longer than any consumer, so if there was something to report, it would have come out already. You know what they will say, "if you are looking for more style than the traditional Accord and cannot afford a BMW, this is the car for you!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
Pro

And its kind of funny you had to just fix my grammer instead of arguing against your lame ass shit about the TSX being heavier? I guess you lost that point haven't you? From my knowledge the 330i is better then the TSX but i don't think the 325i is. I guess we can wait and find out.
--------------------------------------------------

I did argue that, the BMW is an I6, the Acura is a 4-Banger, smaller engine, similar weight, less power, BMW wins that arguement. Next...
Old 08-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

:pee: BMW

TSX

I have an idea........... lets AAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL trade in our TSX's and go pay 7,000$ more for an equally equiped BMW that everybody and their uncle, cousin, and nephew has and that will break down twice as much...... sound like fun.... Cmon guys lets gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 08-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Teh seX

BMW's are great cars.. however you see one everywhere you turn.. and the tsx can compete with the bmw 325 in almost every performance aspect... plus the value is great. and btw the mitsubishi evolution 8 is not a riced up lancer... The lancer is a watered down Evolution... The Evolution 8 here in the states is nothing compared to the other evo's.. they didnt release the GSR version in the states, which would KILL the evo 8, STi, or almost any car for half the price.. and they didnt add the AYC option on the evo which changes the way the car handles whether it be on tarmac, gravel, snow.. which makes a bigg difference.. talkin bad about the evo and your thinking of getting a 330? yes, the 330 is a nice car.. but the evo is not all that "rice" looking.. The wing actually helps the car perform.. that little 4 cylinder is a monster..looks good.. IMO. and then you say you'd choose the z4 over the s2k.. ok its obvious you like Bmw's better and thats fine.. but I say you just stop engaging in discussions where we hear the same thing over and over...
Old 08-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Racer

I did argue that, the BMW is an I6, the Acura is a 4-Banger, smaller engine, similar weight, less power, BMW wins that arguement. Next...
Im sorry i did not know that 200 hp is less then 184 hp of the 325i... Someone didn't go to their community college classes. As for the reason why the Acura is so much more is because it has more ROOM. Yes... simple logic saids that the bigger something is usually it will be heavier as well. (of course this is not always true... mass is the real reason etc. but still)
Old 08-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Houston we have a problem

Haahaa, what an INTERESTING discussion. Which is better? Bimmer or TSX?
Bottom line: (TSX vs 325i w/sprt pkg)
If you do:
10/10th driving (track), BMW wins
10/8th driving, Tie
Regular driving, WHO CARES?!?!

This comparison just don't include anything else like value, reliability, int/ext design, blah blah blah.

For people who still thinks FWD handles better in 10/10th driving, you don't belong here.
I tracked both E46 325i and TSX (autoX), and Bimmer is about a sec faster, and more fun to drive! (Less understeer, and you can throttle steer it)

I bought TSX because of VALUE and RELIABILITY.

So what?

NOBODY WINS!!!!!!!!! GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! GET WHAT YOU LIKE!!!! IT'S YOUR MONEY!!!! CAR IS LIKE CLOTHES, GET WHAT YOU THINK YOU LOOKED BEST IN!!!!!

Oh, and trashing others don't make yourself look any better...
Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

For about the same price, the alternative would be Mazda 6GT. Of course, assuming that I don't want to spend more.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro

Im sorry i did not know that 200 hp is less then 184 hp of the 325i...
---------------------------------------

Your facts are true, but your knowledge of hp and how it relates to performance is obviously limited.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by TinkySD
mag racing! LOL I don't believe the tsx is superier to the 325 in any way but value. I also think there is only a very small margin in performance between the two.
I agree, and that superior value matters to some people, but not for others. Is that small margin in performance worth $4-7K to you?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:07 PM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Well...I guess I'm kinda late to this post. Better late than never.

ANYWAY, it is my opinion that the TSX is best compared to an A4 or an IS300. Isn't the 3-series (even the lowly 325i) a little out of the Acura's league? I don't even think a 3-series was at the TSX preview drive (the one that Justin went to). If I remember correctly, the cars there were the IS300, A4 1.8t, and the S40 (who knows why this one was there).

It seems to me that Acura doesn't want the TSX to be compared to a 3-series--if they don't claim it to be competition to the 3-series, everyone won't hold it to the 3-series' performance level. Crazy idea? I sure hope not...

SPUDMTN
Old 08-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by SPUDMTN

ANYWAY, it is my opinion that the TSX is best compared to an A4 or an IS300. Isn't the 3-series (even the lowly 325i) a little out of the Acura's league? I don't even think a 3-series was at the TSX preview drive (the one that Justin went to). If I remember correctly, the cars there were the IS300, A4 1.8t, and the S40 (who knows why this one was there).

It seems to me that Acura doesn't want the TSX to be compared to a 3-series--if they don't claim it to be competition to the 3-series, everyone won't hold it to the 3-series' performance level. Crazy idea? I sure hope not...

hmmm.. so they only want to be compared to 3-series competitors?? I didn't know about the preview drive, but Acura has to be aware that they're competing for 3-series-like buyers, and my dealer (who also sold BMWs) kept mentioning comparisons to one on the test drive.

I think it's funny how much time we spend deciding to which cars the TSX best compares/competes. Acura seemed to know what they were doing - they sure are selling well. Our discussion is really just academic :thinking:
Old 08-14-2003, 11:45 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by jcg878
hmmm.. so they only want to be compared to 3-series competitors?? I didn't know about the preview drive, but Acura has to be aware that they're competing for 3-series-like buyers, and my dealer (who also sold BMWs) kept mentioning comparisons to one on the test drive.

I think it's funny how much time we spend deciding to which cars the TSX best compares/competes. Acura seemed to know what they were doing - they sure are selling well. Our discussion is really just academic :thinking:
Boy...what I'm trying to say is kind of complicated. I guess what I'm saying is that Acura is playing it smart by not outwardly saying that the TSX should be compared to a 3-series. If they say that the TSX competes against the 3-series, than the press is going to slaughter the car--and so will the consumer. Acura knows it will be cross-shopped, but they can't plaster that all over the place...know what I mean? It's all about marketing...

Anyone else think the same thing?

SPUDMTN
Old 08-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Boy...what I'm trying to say is kind of complicated. I guess what I'm saying is that Acura is playing it smart by not outwardly saying that the TSX should be compared to a 3-series. If they say that the TSX competes against the 3-series, than the press is going to slaughter the car--and so will the consumer. Acura knows it will be cross-shopped, but they can't plaster that all over the place...know what I mean? It's all about marketing...

Anyone else think the same thing?

SPUDMTN
I see your point, but I don't have enough insight into how it's being marketed. It makes sense.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:56 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by jcg878
I see your point, but I don't have enough insight into how it's being marketed. It makes sense.
Well...all I remember is Acura NOT comparing it to a 325i when it came out--and they made that a point. I think that was mentioned in a press release (maybe not directly...but it was some how, since it sticks out in my memory.)

As for the preview drive--that was back from "the other" site. Justin went to this Acura preview drive of the TSX (before it hit showrooms) and drove it along w/ its competitors--which included an A4 1.8t, IS300, and S40. No BMW 3-series. I think that really gets their point across.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3-series covers a pretty wide range. The TSX is quite comparable to a 325, but a 330i will out-perform a TSX. I think Acura wanted to keep the comparisons simple and easily understandable, at the preview drive.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Iceman
The 3-series covers a pretty wide range. The TSX is quite comparable to a 325, but a 330i will out-perform a TSX. I think Acura wanted to keep the comparisons simple and easily understandable, at the preview drive.

The A4 covers just as wode of a range as the as the 3-Series. There is a A4 1.8T (325i) and an A4 3.0 (330i). Both options are available with Quattro and without, (like BMW - 325xi & 330xi) so there are really 4 choices that fall under the A4 just like the BMW, so I think that "keep it simple" theory is out the window too.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Racer

The A4 covers just as wode of a range as the as the 3-Series. There is a A4 1.8T (325i) and an A4 3.0 (330i). Both options are available with Quattro and without, (like BMW - 325xi & 330xi) so there are really 4 choices that fall under the A4 just like the BMW, so I think that "keep it simple" theory is out the window too.
I think you're missing the point. Every other car company comes onto the scene positioning themselves as the BMW killer. And that usually ends up being a poor strategy because of BMW performance advantage, even if it is a slight advantage. What's being suggested is that Acura is ignoring BMW and marketing the TSX as an Audi killer.

Quick Reply: Fair and square comparison.