Fair and square comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the one in (on the flat top part) the armrest, but the armrest itself extends into another handle on the passenger side. This link shows the driver side.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co...asp?module=tsx

This armrest on the passenger side extends further towards the fron of the car and angles up towards the window to form another handle. Take a look, you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:24 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ozzman
Not the one in (on the flat top part) the armrest, but the armrest itself extends into another handle on the passenger side. This link shows the driver side.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co...asp?module=tsx

This armrest on the passenger side extends further towards the fron of the car and angles up towards the window to form another handle. Take a look, you'll see what I mean.

Ahh...ok I get it. I'll have to check that out.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by fdl
First of all...its very hard to define a "segment". Its not always black and white. But if we have to....

You dont think the A4 1.8t and Saab 9-3 Linear are in the same segment? What about the c230...or even the passat?
I suppose if the world were black and white and you had to define a segment, then they would apply (not the Passat though.. it is too cushy to be sporty). But I think the TSX was priced to attract people looking at the entry-lux segment but who pay attention to prices... that is, most could afford a $30-35K car but logic and value lead them to the TSX.

And of course it depends how broadly this segment is defined. Are all 3-series and A4s and MB c230/240/320 (oh my!) in the same segment as the TSX?? Are only the FWD cars, or the 4-cylinders engines?? I am curious to see what the car mags continue to stack the TSX against in comparisons to see how they define it.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TSXautoXer

Some said they don't need certain features and also brought in the weight question. Yes, they are right about it, but didn't both Merc and BMW manage to squeeze in those and kept the weight about the same as TSX? And aren't luxury car suppose to have more features than normal cars? If not, isn't a Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Camry or VW Passat will do just fine?
Dude dude dude, know you car better before making all those claims man......

TSX is a midsize sedan while the BMW3 and MB C230 are compact sedans, that's where the weight differences come from. And the fact that the TSX, as a midsize, can match those two in performance further proves that the TSX is the leader in this segment. You can even go ahead an claim that the TSX is in a class of its own.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by rzee

TSX is a midsize sedan while the BMW3 and MB C230 are compact sedans, that's where the weight differences come from. And the fact that the TSX, as a midsize, can match those two in performance further proves that the TSX is the leader in this segment. You can even go ahead an claim that the TSX is in a class of its own.
Is it really midsize? It's smaller that family midsize cars, and it's a compact according to the EPA. The back seat is roomier that the 3-series, but not by leaps and bounds.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jcg878
Is it really midsize? It's smaller that family midsize cars, and it's a compact according to the EPA. The back seat is roomier that the 3-series, but not by leaps and bounds.
If you don't believe me, just go to edmunds.com.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Racer

Well i believe the tsx is an contender in the entry luxury sedan market. There might be some things that are missing, but the tsx has more things that everyone else is missing as standard. Just as previously i said that it might be nice that the BMW has auto open/close feature on the sunroof, but you have to PAY around 1k just to get the sunroof, while on the tsx it is standard.

As for the characterisics of the car every car magazine has compared them to the 3series, audi, saab, and mb for a reason. They can beat them in some categories and have the refinement, and the handling to be in this section. It might not be the best in its market but damn it has the most value.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by finalheaven
Well i believe the tsx is an contender in the entry luxury sedan market. There might be some things that are missing, but the tsx has more things that everyone else is missing as standard. Just as previously i said that it might be nice that the BMW has auto open/close feature on the sunroof, but you have to PAY around 1k just to get the sunroof, while on the tsx it is standard.

As for the characterisics of the car every car magazine has compared them to the 3series, audi, saab, and mb for a reason. They can beat them in some categories and have the refinement, and the handling to be in this section. It might not be the best in its market but damn it has the most value.
the TSX is a good value if you can accept the compromises that were made to keep the price down...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:42 AM
More On

.....TSX is a midsize sedan while the BMW3 and MB C230 are compact sedans......You can even go ahead an claim that the TSX is in a class of its own.
Well, you know what they say about great minds.....

I don't think this has been said before at all on here, and tonight RZ and I both came up with basically the same thing on different threads.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...3969#post23969

Actually I would say TSX is neither compact nor midsize; its size puts it in between the two categories, together with just a very few other cars, maybe just G35, 9-3, and Jag X.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:42 AM
Racer

Originally posted by gilboman
the TSX is a good value if you can accept the compromises that were made to keep the price down...
That again depends on how you see it. Once again isn't it better to get a free moonroof then to pay 1k for it and have the option of a auto close/open. It is not a value just because you accept the compromises, it is a value because it is a good value.

Im not sure about any of you guys but id rather have a free moonroof, free auto, 6 in dash cd changers instead of the little things the car is missing. What's more important to you... free xenons or you pay for an entire package $500-$1000 just to get automatic seats...
Old 08-14-2003, 02:43 AM
Houston we have a problem

Yes, you're right. TSX is a midsize sedan just like Toyota Camry, Honda Accord 4dr Sedan, VW Passat and Nissan Altima. Obviously, they are more or less the same length, have the same interior volume, and definitely equals their trunk space.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Racer

That again depends on how you see it. Once again isn't it better to get a free moonroof then to pay 1k for it and have the option of a auto close/open. It is not a value just because you accept the compromises, it is a value because it is a good value.

Im not sure about any of you guys but id rather have a free moonroof, free auto, 6 in dash cd changers instead of the little things the car is missing. What's more important to you... free xenons or you pay for an entire package $500-$1000 just to get automatic seats...

gilbos just jealous 'cause he had to pay extra!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:24 AM

almost every article i've read raves about the TSX, the only complaint is the power...if honda had put a V6 in, imagine how much hotter this car would be? granted it would cost an extra 2-3k but then it would be in the same price range as the IS300s, G35s, and 325s and come fully loaded!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Racer

I disagree, a v6 would screw-up the TSX balance and totally f-up the handling characteristics.

The TL is a good home for the v6.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Santacruz
I disagree, a v6 would screw-up the TSX balance and totally f-up the handling characteristics.

The TL is a good home for the v6.
not if they made it RWD
Old 08-14-2003, 09:40 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by donutchow
not if they made it RWD
Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Pro

BMW has auto open/close feature on the sunroof, but you have to PAY around 1k just to get the sunroof, while on the tsx it is standard.
----------------------------------------

I love this; you are making it sound like Acura is giving away free sunroofs! You are paying for everything; Acura just doesn't give you a choice. If you are one of the people that DO NOT want a sunroof, then BMW, Audi, MB allow you to save $1,000 by not paying for something you don't want. Acura does not allow you to save money in this fashion.

Another thing I do not understand is why Acura goes through all of the trouble to include everything standard and then makes you pay extra for fog-lights? Seems to be kind of hypocritical against their own philosophy to me.

I like a-la-carte myself. Pick and pay for what you want, save on what you don't...
Old 08-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
----------------------------------------

I love this; you are making it sound like Acura is giving away free sunroofs! You are paying for everything; Acura just doesn't give you a choice. If you are one of the people that DO NOT want a sunroof, then BMW, Audi, MB allow you to save $1,000 by not paying for something you don't want. Acura does not allow you to save money in this fashion.

Another thing I do not understand is why Acura goes through all of the trouble to include everything standard and then makes you pay extra for fog-lights? Seems to be kind of hypocritical against their own philosophy to me.

I like a-la-carte myself. Pick and pay for what you want, save on what you don't...
so i guess one of the a-la-cart things is an extra 3K just for a name???
Old 08-14-2003, 11:41 AM
More On

-- except that it's more like 7, nes pah?
Old 08-14-2003, 11:49 AM

lol yes v6 bad!!!hahaha
Old 08-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro

-----------------------------------

No, that is for the superior V6 engine, better tires, better brakes, better sound insulation, better suspension, one-touch power everything, etc... And in your terms, you also get free foglights with that...

And take a look at the tags on your clothes, unless all of your tags say Wal-Mart, shut your hole about spending more on a name, we all do it on a daily basis.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:02 PM
More On

.....And take a look at the tags on your clothes, unless all of your tags say Wal-Mart, shut your hole about spending more on a name, we all do it on a daily basis.
But we wouldn't keep doing it if the clothes fell apart or kept needing a lot more repairs than the Wal-Mart kind.

BTW I Wal-Mart.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Racer

-----------------------------------
And take a look at the tags on your clothes, unless all of your tags say Wal-Mart, shut your hole about spending more on a name, we all do it on a daily basis.
Buff...you're extremely defensive about the amount you paid for your vanity?!?!?

I'll keep my hole open for just a moment longer and let you know that not everyone buys clothes because of the name. Some (me include) also take into account fit, style, and quality. If a Perry Ellis shirt looks bad, I'm not going to shell out more money because I want a Perry Ellis shirt.

okay...hole shut...buffy
Old 08-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Audi Driving Snob

i agree that choice is good. However to be realistic say I gave two people 27k to spend on car. That's all they had. You can get a loaded tsx or a 325 with ...uh...325is retial for 27.8. Want sunroof, leather, 6 cd player, sport package w/ 17"s, better tires? all extra. So if you want a stripped down 325 then go for it! It still costs more than a loaded tsx.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro

Perry Ellis? Do you still have a "Members Only" jacket too?

You all know that you do not buy genaric items to save money on a daily basis and that you pay more to get what you want from time to time. I am willing to pay more to get a BMW with a V6 engive and all-wheel-drive, 2 options that any honest TSX owner would like to see on the TSX. If you don't live in an area where snow and ice are a problem and you still bought a front wheel drive car, you might be retarded.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

Does BMW now make the 3 with a V6???
Old 08-14-2003, 12:55 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by clsteve
Old 08-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TinkySD
i agree that choice is good. However to be realistic say I gave two people 27k to spend on car. That's all they had. You can get a loaded tsx or a 325 with ...uh...325is retial for 27.8. Want sunroof, leather, 6 cd player, sport package w/ 17"s, better tires? all extra. So if you want a stripped down 325 then go for it! It still costs more than a loaded tsx.
----------------------------------------------------------

I think a lot of people would get the Accord so they could have the V6 and all the same options with about $1,500 in thier pocket. If all you want to talk about is "bang for your buck", then the V6 Accord kicks the TSX's butt. Cannot rip on it's reliability either, but now you will want to talk about style and handling to prove it is better than the Accord and then you are right back into getting your butt kicked by the BMW. You cannot win. The Accord is a better deal and equally reliable and the BMW is a better performer, stripped or not. The TSX is a TWEENER, it sits right in-between the 2 and that is all it was meant to do. IF you say the Accord is no TSX, then you have to say that the TSX is no BMW...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro

Originally posted by clsteve
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's quicker to type out than Inline 6 and I thought you "Acura" guys here would understand it easier. Afterall, if you knew anything about BMW's, we wouldn't be having these comparisons...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Instructor

i think buff daddy lost his credibility. how hard is it to type I6? if you own a bmw 3 series, waht kind do you own? do you know about the different models, E21, E30, E36, E46? what about the other models...... E28, E34, E39, E65...........
Old 08-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

I think a lot of people would get the Accord so they could have the V6 and all the same options with about $1,500 in thier pocket. If all you want to talk about is "bang for your buck", then the V6 Accord kicks the TSX's butt. Cannot rip on it's reliability either, but now you will want to talk about style and handling to prove it is better than the Accord and then you are right back into getting your butt kicked by the BMW. You cannot win. The Accord is a better deal and equally reliable and the BMW is a better performer, stripped or not. The TSX is a TWEENER, it sits right in-between the 2 and that is all it was meant to do. IF you say the Accord is no TSX, then you have to say that the TSX is no BMW...
no way will a 325i on 16's w/o the sport package perform nearly as well as the tsx on a twisty road
Old 08-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Racer

Nobody here is saying the BMW3 isn't a nice car but according to your so-called logic the EVO would be a better car than the BMW...it looks and performs better! There are a lot of factors that goes into choosing a car. Just because you wanted to pay more for a BMW it doesn't mean the TSX can't be compared. It has and it will continue to be compared. Some people actually prefer the TSX over the BMW3.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro

I don't own a 3-Series, I am still shopping around. I own an X5 and a 99 Acura CL.

If I get the deal & options that I want on the 3-Series, then I get that, if I don't, then I fall back on the TSX. I got a call last week about a really good deal on an A4 Quattro, but I am not sure I like it well enough for the money. I lease, that is all I do. 36 months, 12k/yr and I get bored and move on to something new.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Racer

If I get the deal & options that I want on the 3-Series, then I get that, if I don't, then I fall back on the TSX.
OMG!!!! Way to settle for a TWEENER (the car that can't compete against the BMW)
Old 08-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Instructor

I don't own a 3-Series, I am still shopping around. I own an X5 and a 99 Acura CL.

If I get the deal & options that I want on the 3-Series, then I get that, if I don't, then I fall back on the TSX. I got a call last week about a really good deal on an A4 Quattro, but I am not sure I like it well enough for the money. I lease, that is all I do. 36 months, 12k/yr and I get bored and move on to something new.
you must be paying over $550 a month for the X5???
Old 08-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Bobby Gz
no way will a 325i on 16's w/o the sport package perform nearly as well as the tsx on a twisty road
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby Gz, for your own health, lay off the crack pipe.

The TSX is a tank with bad tires. Despite only having a 4-cylinder engine, it is still heavier than the 3-Series with the I6.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Instructor

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby Gz, for your own health, lay off the crack pipe.

The TSX is a tank with bad tires. Despite only having a 4-cylinder engine, it is still heavier than the 3-Series with the I6.
way to talk shit about your possible future new car. would you even get the 6 speed?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro

Originally posted by donutchow
you must be paying over $550 a month for the X5???
Just under... It has been a great car thus far and it handles very well for a vehicle of it's size. In this market, the new Lexus RX330 is tough to beat if you want to compare features and luxuary for the price, but you give up some handling and I don't like the look quite as well. We will see what it out there when it is time to turn it in...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro

Nobody here is saying the BMW3 isn't a nice car but according to your so-called logic the EVO would be a better car than the BMW...it looks and performs better!
--------------------------------------------------------------

The Evo would out-perform the BMW, but if you honestly think that riced-up piece of plastic with the spoiler sitting 8" off of the trunk and the crap interior looks better than any car we have discussed, then you are 18 or under, live at home, play Playstation for 4+ hours a day and are not mature enough to own either the TSX or the BMW.

It can kick-ass, but it is and always will be riced up Mitsubishi Lancer...
Old 08-14-2003, 01:43 PM
More On

.....Some people actually prefer the TSX over the BMW3.
Me! Me! Me! Yes, I do! Please call on me!

Once we're done with the "Rattles" poll, on a slow day maybe someone wants to start a poll on this.

Quick Reply: Fair and square comparison.