EZPass, TollTag, etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:48 AM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZPass, TollTag, etc

I've always found the EZ-Pass velcro stuck on the inside of the windshield to be pretty unsightly.

Knowing that you guys take your car's appearance very seriously, I was wondering what those of you who use EZ-Pass, etc do. Do you mount the sensor somewhere else, out of the way? Are there other types of sensors that don't have to be stuck on the windshield?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine's on the windshield and the rear view mirror pretty much hides it from the inside. Outside you can still see it.

Some places sell holders that you can easily take on and off so you don't have to keep it on the window. It doesn't bother me to have it there though.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got ez pass behind the rear-view mirror. Its a neccessity as I commute a toll road daily.

I did my best to get it as far up and close to the mirror as possible. I'm a big guy so I moved the mirror up as much as possible and it blocks 90% of my view of the tag from inside the cabin. From outside you really don't notice it unless you're looking for it, its kinda covered by the dark area of the winshield.

ez pass does offer a sensor that can be attached to your license plate, but its a lot bigger than the winshield sensor, and there's the risk of it being stolen. imo its more unsightly, plus it requires you to be running with a front tag, which I'm not.

I really don't see it as much of a problem
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If the velcro bothers you that much, there are suction cup holders that you can get that can easily by mounted and removed as needed.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

i never thought they were that ugly. no uglier than the (far less useful) homelink transceiver at any rate. the front plate mounted tags also supposedly don't work as well as the inside ones and at least in VA they are reluctant to give them to you for a regular car.

personally i never complain about the aesthetics of something that's actually functional anyway...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:34 AM
~[ô¿ô]~

Mine is behind the rear view mirror, in the tinted area, so it's harder to see from the outside or inside. But here are some covers:

http://www.highwayimage.com/index.htm
http://www.ezcoversinc.com/index.php
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/102-...extbin=EZ-Clip

You can also clip it on to your sun visors as you would for some garage openers. Then all you do is flip your visor to the windshield before you approach the toll's sensor.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I put mine up as high as possible on the winshield like others have done, from the outside, the dark strip at the top covers it, and it still reads perfectly
Old 05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here in Illinois, our I-Pass is a unsightly white block about 4"x3" and I hate anything stuck to my car, so I actually pull it out from under the seat when I approach a toll. The highway folks insist that you mount them on your windshield because some of the tolls are stuck in the THANK YOU position and they want your money even if the machine is malfunctioning.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:25 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Here in Illinois, our I-Pass is a unsightly white block about 4"x3" and I hate anything stuck to my car, so I actually pull it out from under the seat when I approach a toll. The highway folks insist that you mount them on your windshield because some of the tolls are stuck in the THANK YOU position and they want your money even if the machine is malfunctioning.
Uh, I'd want it on my windshield because of what happens when the gate isn't stuck up and the pass doesn't read. Two of my friends have cracked their windshields on the gates.

And I want it on your windshield because at least once a week I get stuck behind some douchebag who didn't properly mount his smart tag and is now stopped in the 35mph Smart Tag only lane, holding up traffic. Assholes.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by jpt
Uh, I'd want it on my windshield because of what happens when the gate isn't stuck up and the pass doesn't read. Two of my friends have cracked their windshields on the gates.

And I want it on your windshield because at least once a week I get stuck behind some douchebag who didn't properly mount his smart tag and is now stopped in the 35mph Smart Tag only lane, holding up traffic. Assholes.
No gates in the Land of Lincoln.

No douches in the I-Pass lane.

Your friends should move out here.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

You mean the 70mph "Get the F out of my way" lane?

And you should tell your friends that its a good idea to be prepared to stop anytime a gate is down, toll or not. Only blow through once it goes up!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:49 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have mine velcrowed to the windshield so that it's hidden by the rvm
Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,079 Likes on 775 Posts
I put mine in the glove compartment.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reach
You mean the 70mph "Get the F out of my way" lane?
Yup, that one

(By the way, once in a while the cops will sit just past the toll plaza and pull over every single person who blows through, just to be dicks. My friend dave got a ticket for 1mph under reckless that way. Not that it actually stops me from blasting through there normally but just a heads up.)

And you should tell your friends that its a good idea to be prepared to stop anytime a gate is down, toll or not. Only blow through once it goes up!
Yeah, I learned from their mistakes A trick I've discovered is to slow down about 50 feet before the lanes that have gates, the receivers usually pick up pretty early and you can slam the gas as soon as the light turns.

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
No douches in the I-Pass lane.
Lucky. I can't remember a day I've come into work before 10AM and not had cause to regret it. Stupid Beltway bandits
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Guinea Pig

Some times people mount them in the small corner window on the rear drivers side door. hidden behind the tint. Be sure not to use a metal film though. same with the behind the rear view deal.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got those holders (you can find them online), but I find they rattle like crazy. Only use the velcro now. No big deal.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In California the receivers must be visible or you are subject to citation - I have only seen them out checking once in the three years I have had Fasttrak.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by BRH
I've always found the EZ-Pass velcro stuck on the inside of the windshield to be pretty unsightly.

Knowing that you guys take your car's appearance very seriously, I was wondering what those of you who use EZ-Pass, etc do. Do you mount the sensor somewhere else, out of the way? Are there other types of sensors that don't have to be stuck on the windshield?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

curry acura in ny sells a suction cup holder for it.

i used to just lift it up and hold it to the window when i got to the booth, but now i have the plate mounted transponder (they actually told me i need it because the navi was interfering with the other one. i thik it was BS, but whatever). i might get the window mounted one back soon if i work up the ambition to call and complain.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jpt

well if the gate doesn't go up, you shouldn't be on the gas driving into it. dumbasses.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
I put mine in the glove compartment.

a few people i know do that, no problems... one guy kept it under his seat by accident and it still worked...
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bradykp
well if the gate doesn't go up, you shouldn't be on the gas driving into it. dumbasses.
normally the gate goes up quickly enough that you can drive 30-40mph through the booth without batting an eyelash. the problem is that if you get in this habit and it doesn't go up, you often don't have enough time to brake hard enough to avoid hitting it.

(but yes, dumbasses.)