Extended warrenty cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended warrenty cost

Hello,
new to the forum.
was wondering if anyone has purchased extended warrenty from hondacuraworld.com before. The price is pretty good compared to what I was quoted from the dealership I bought the car from. $935 for 6yr/100k miles.
I am thinking of doing it but not sure if its good idea or not.
thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Advanced

http://www.warrantydirect.com
Go there and compare. You should get a better deal than any dealer will give you. Just make sure you are comparing the $0 deductible plans. I was quoted $1300 from my Acura dealer for the x-warranty on my '06, and I have to admit on paper it sounded pretty sweet (basically just extended the current warranty). Acura loaner every time you bring the car in isn't too bad in my opintion, but I haven't compared the Acura plans to the Warranty Direct ones yet. My feeling is that the Warranty Direct ones will be cheaper, but I don't know if they will offer as much in the way of the loaner car, etc...
Old 07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced

in 2004 I paid $750 for 5 years 100k bumper to bumper...
Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
5th Gear

I paid 1300 in 06 for the 7yr/120k (bumper to bumper)
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Icemant23
I paid 1300 in 06 for the 7yr/120k (bumper to bumper)
Thats what I was offered too, and you have 3 months or 3,000 miles after purchasing the car to determine if you want the extended warranty (or any warranty for that matter). I would do a real thorough analysis between what Acura offers for $1300 and what you can get online. I would bet that a place like warrantydirect would be cheaper and may offer more coverage but won't offer amenities such as the loaner cars, etc.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:16 PM
NBP6MTTSX

I've had my TSX for almost 2 weeks now and I declined the warranty that was offered at the dealership. It was a 6 year warranty for approximately $900.00 and I was told I had the option to get it before my odometer reaches 3000 miles. I'm planning and hoping to keep my car for 7 - 10 years. Just out of curiosity, are there any members out here that have purchased any kind of warranty? Have any of you used it? Is it worth the money?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear

The hondacuraworld.com site states you can buy the warrenty up to 6k miles.

Also what kinda of warrenty do most people get? The Acura Care one from the dealer or other? Are other better then Acura Care?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:02 PM
5th Gear

Having worked in a Service Dept, I can advise you that the factory warranties are the easiest to claim when taking your car to a dealership. Acura backs the warranty, and you are in and out with no discrepancies as to who pays. Whether the claim is covered by your basic or extended doesnt matter, Acura holds them both. The third party deals might prove to be cheaper, however read over them carefully. They often are reimbursement programs meaning that you must come out of pocket, then they will cut you a check. Some dealers sell such plans, and are directly billable through (only) the dealer you bought the third party from. All in all, if you want mobility and less hassle (and the perks of roadside and loaners) go with the Acura Care. If cost is that much of an issue consider that repairs could end up costing you big money up front if anything goes wrong with a Third Party warranty. Hopefully this helps?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 PM
NBP6MTTSX

I am considering the Acura care warranty for the very same reasons that Icemant23 just mentioned.

I got a call from warrantydirect and the girl told me that Acura don't offer their own extended warranty and she suggested that I throughly read the paperwork before I sign up for it. That doesn't make any sense does it?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Here is a good reference for those that are on the fence about getting an extended warranty:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...endwarrnty.asp
Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 PM
06 ASM/Ebony 5AT

I had an extended warranty on my '97 Acura CL. It was for 10yr/100K miles. Paid about $1250 for it. During the time I owned the car I needed to have the AC repaired, the driver side seat heater fixed and the alternator replaced. All of these after the original warranty was up, so the extended basically paid for itself. BUT, I purchased the warranty from 1sourcewarranty.net which went out of business before my warranty term was up. Fortunately I was selling the car anyway.
When I bought my TSX in March I was really on the fence about whether or not to buy an extended warranty. I knew if I did it would definitely be an Acura Care warranty. I didn't want anymore surprises. I decided to go ahead and purchase it for many of the reasons that are stated in the article referenced above. I paid about $1380 for 8yr/100K. I am going to keep the car for a long time and I personally like the peace of mind knowing that I won't have any unexpected car repairs that can throw the monthly budget out of whack. I priced online then got my dealer to match the price.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
For ~$1000 for what, 1 year of coverage (you're covered for 5 right now, correct), you'd be better off putting about $25-$30 aside every month from now until your car is 4-5 years old, and using that pool of money in case shit happens.

Most of the time if stuff that is warrantyable is going to break, it'll do it before 5 years / 80,000mi or whatever the american warranty is.

Plus, if you don't use the saved-away cash, you can use it later for upgrades.

Its like self-financing insurance.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Some more things to consider....
After 5 years, most people have paid off their car. So by the time the first warranty is up you should be saving $400-$500/mth (or whatever your car payment is) due to the now-absent car payment. As curls suggested — by self-financing, some of this savings can be put away for future visits to the shop.

Another thing to factor is that if your car is in the shop so much while it is under its initial warranty then that should be a sign to sell it before the warranty expires. My wife's Jetta has been in the shop 17 times (not for normal maintenance) in its first 36 months. I'm glad we didn't purchase the x-warranty on it when we bought it because we'll be getting rid of it before the its current warranty expires.

I'm also in a quagmire because I don't know if I want to keep my current TSX very long. I wanted a manual, but the dealer only had automatics and it was going to take 6 weeks to order a manual (and not even the color/combo I wanted)! I couldn't wait that long so I had to settle for an AT. Now that I have a car, I can afford to wait if I have to. So I'm thinking in a year or two when I can get an optimal trade-in value compared to what I owe on the car I will probably go for the manual. In my case getting the extended warranty is probably not a good idea.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:36 AM
3rd Gear

I think I will be keeping my TSX for some time and I drive alot of miles, so thats why I was considering 6yr/100k. I'm pretty sure I will reach the milage before the yr though.
I had a civic before, which compared to TSX had much less tech stuff. Since TSX is loaded, i figure there are more chances of things going wrong. so 935 is a decent deal for me atleast.