Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I couldn't remember the price people were mentioning on the boards, so I told them $1500 for the 7 yr warranty (transferrable/prorata refund). They were like it's a $100 deductible, so I told them nah, and he said $1600 w/ no deductible. I figured that wasn't too bad, so I took it. Oh well, I just hope I don't have any major problems, but if I do, I'm covered.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Canuck

my dealer said extended warranty is NOT refundable.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by swirlie
It does for 2006 vehicles. Before that, it was a 3yr/70k? warranty.

3 Yr/60K

100K/5 years on the powertrain.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:36 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the radio is not covered, i'm not sure if its even worth it
Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the Canadian Acura Plus Comprehensive Plan plan in my hand: SHOCKS are NOT covered.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by exexexex
THanx for the reply! So they changed the coverage?? then,what about the 04,05 owner?
Originally Posted by dom
3 Yr/60K

100K/5 years on the powertrain.
04/05 get whatever they got. 06 warranties are just extended 1yr/20K. I don't remember if the powertrain was extended or not. I don't think so.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redpaul
On extend warrenties I always figure that the "insurance company" is making a profit on the deal having calculated the probable cost of repairs, their likelihood, and nice profit for the dealer too.

I prefer to bank the money (or better still pay the loan down faster) that I don't spend on the extended warrenty. My experience with Honda's has proven to me that I get a good 2 to 3 years of use after I have paid of the loan off before major repair expenses. Even then paying $1000 or $2000 for a "major" repair is still cumulatively cheaper than loan payments of $250 -$550 per month.

If it gives you peace of mind that is worth something -- $1000-$2000? Only you can answer that one.

Good advice, if you are disciplined and put the amount of all extended warranties (from cars to electronics) that you are offered you will likely never deplete the account, unless you get popped early on. My account that I have had for about 14 years know has over 10K in it so I now can pass on any and all extended warranties and feel pretty comfortable. The interesting thing is I have used more money from it on laptops than cars, I am beginning to feel like they are the one thing worth the extra money for, part of this is the industries movement toward less and less coverage.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Before you buy any extended warranty be sure to read the policy EXTREMELY carefully. There are statutory requirements for original manufacturer warranties as well as new car lemon laws that prevent you from getting screwed, but these do not apply to extended warranties; furthermore the extended warranties are often sold by very shady third parties.

Read the policy to see exactly what is covered and what is excluded, as well as if there are any restrictions ("sorry, that CAI is a modification to the car, so we aren't covering your dead transmission" -- this is illegal on a factory warranty but not on an extended warranty if the wording of the warranty gives them the option) and who is actually issuing the warranty (will Fly-By-Nite Warranties Inc still be in business in three years?) before you fork over any money. That said, they aren't all bunk, just enough of them where you need to pay attention.

If the policy seems legit it's just a matter of how risk averse you are, since you can probably afford to just take the risk. Remember that insurance against a 5% chance of spending $5000 will always cost more than $250 -- that is, the issuer of an extended warranty figures out the average they can be expected to spend, and then tacks on some markup. You can actually use the price of an extended warranty to figure out how likely you are to need major repairs if you keep that in mind.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We drive a lot, and I'm hoping to have a lot of fun driving our TSX for the next 250,000 km. For us, we'll hit the manufacturer's standard mileage limits way before the time is up. Plus, the Acura extended warranty (7 years, 160,000 km, $1,780 tax-in) seemed like a really good deal, compared to the Canadian BMW 323i (7 year, 140,000 km, $3,000!!!) we were looking at.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpt
Before you buy any extended warranty be sure to read the policy EXTREMELY carefully. There are statutory requirements for original manufacturer warranties as well as new car lemon laws that prevent you from getting screwed, but these do not apply to extended warranties; furthermore the extended warranties are often sold by very shady third parties.

Read the policy to see exactly what is covered and what is excluded, as well as if there are any restrictions ("sorry, that CAI is a modification to the car, so we aren't covering your dead transmission" -- this is illegal on a factory warranty but not on an extended warranty if the wording of the warranty gives them the option) and who is actually issuing the warranty (will Fly-By-Nite Warranties Inc still be in business in three years?) before you fork over any money. That said, they aren't all bunk, just enough of them where you need to pay attention.

If the policy seems legit it's just a matter of how risk averse you are, since you can probably afford to just take the risk. Remember that insurance against a 5% chance of spending $5000 will always cost more than $250 -- that is, the issuer of an extended warranty figures out the average they can be expected to spend, and then tacks on some markup. You can actually use the price of an extended warranty to figure out how likely you are to need major repairs if you keep that in mind.
is this only w/ regards to third parties? I asked the finance guy at the dealer and he said it's an extension to the existing one by Acura - So I'm figuring it's an Acura certified extended warranty - am I mistaken?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by crisco
My center console display just failed at 61K. They quoted me $1200 for the replacement. However, Honda Canada was great, and agreed to cover the cost. I only need to pay $85 for the instal.
How did you manage that? Did you ask them, or did they offer to cover you outside warranty? I assume you went through Camco and they told you you're not covered, so I'm just curious how you managed to go from there?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
We drive a lot, and I'm hoping to have a lot of fun driving our TSX for the next 250,000 km. For us, we'll hit the manufacturer's standard mileage limits way before the time is up. Plus, the Acura extended warranty (7 years, 160,000 km, $1,780 tax-in) seemed like a really good deal, compared to the Canadian BMW 323i (7 year, 140,000 km, $3,000!!!) we were looking at.
You know you can negociate the price for the extended warranty. I paid $750 + tax for the 7yr Acura warranty and it is factory warranty. And I paid $3800 for 8yr warranty on my bimmer but it was a after market warranty which never approve for ne repair, it is just a pure scam!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gooker1
is this only w/ regards to third parties? I asked the finance guy at the dealer and he said it's an extension to the existing one by Acura - So I'm figuring it's an Acura certified extended warranty - am I mistaken?
I don't know. I'm not aware of any extended warranty offered directly by Acura, but I've only done a relatively cursory net search so I'm not sure. But be very, very careful when talking to your dealer's F&I guy (the slipperiest MFer in any stealership). An "extension to the warranty offered by Acura" sounds like a slippery way to say "someone else's warranty which picks up when Acura's warranty ends" -- i.e. all my earlier caveats apply, and doubly so because your F&I guy is obviously trying to pull one over on you...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpt
I don't know. I'm not aware of any extended warranty offered directly by Acura, but I've only done a relatively cursory net search so I'm not sure. But be very, very careful when talking to your dealer's F&I guy (the slipperiest MFer in any stealership). An "extension to the warranty offered by Acura" sounds like a slippery way to say "someone else's warranty which picks up when Acura's warranty ends" -- i.e. all my earlier caveats apply, and doubly so because your F&I guy is obviously trying to pull one over on you...
In Canada the Acura Plus extended warranty is a factory warranty not third party.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by ianS
In Canada the Acura Plus extended warranty is a factory warranty not third party.
Yup..i have the Acura Plus for 7 years.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
How did you manage that? Did you ask them, or did they offer to cover you outside warranty? I assume you went through Camco and they told you you're not covered, so I'm just curious how you managed to go from there?
I had my seat base (wobbling), and headlights (condensation) replaced past the 60K km mark. For the headlights, I just raised the issue about 800km after owning the car (bought from Camco, used), and said there wasn't a way I'd have been able to know this would have happened when i was looking at the car, because it was sunny and bright outside. They didn't have condensation in them until after a heavy rain.

For the seat base, I didn't catch the problem early enough, but, contacted Acura Canada to arrange a semi-goodwill warranty repair. I negotiated it so that Acura paid for the parts, I paid labour. That worked out to $790 of their $, and $195 taxes-in of my cash for the labour.

I was satisfied. You just need to contact Acura Customer Relations Canada at 1-888-922-8729 and be fairly stern with them if they start shying away from giving you anything.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ianS
I'm assuming it's the same in the states too right? B/c I'm pretty sure mine is also an extension of the factory warranty