Equipping garage for new TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equipping garage for new TSX

Hi everybody!
I've been lurking for about a month, and i decided it's time to post up. Any-who, my '06 TSX (Arctic Blue 6MT) is now at 1000 miles, and i'm getting ready to do my mid-break-in oil change. I already put together a pretty good garage to keep my '93 infiniti G20 running through 175k miles, but i want to know if there's any special tools i should get for the TSX. Specifically- will the standard 2 1/4 ton Craftsman floor jack cut it for lifting the front and rear to get the car up on stands, and has anyone had a problem with ramps not fitting under the front lip on a stock TSX? Also, does anyone know the part number for the Honda oil filter cap wrench that fits our filter?
TIA

-Ari
Old 07-05-2006, 10:57 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2 1/4 should be fine
jack+jack stands > ramps

for all your oil changing parts:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx.html
Old 07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by virus7
for all your oil changing parts:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx.html
I was hoping to swing by a local Honda dealer to pick up the tool, but that site doesn't have the part numbers on it
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lone Starr
Hi everybody!
I've been lurking for about a month, and i decided it's time to post up. Any-who, my '06 TSX (Arctic Blue 6MT) is now at 1000 miles, and i'm getting ready to do my mid-break-in oil change. I already put together a pretty good garage to keep my '93 infiniti G20 running through 175k miles, but i want to know if there's any special tools i should get for the TSX. Specifically- will the standard 2 1/4 ton Craftsman floor jack cut it for lifting the front and rear to get the car up on stands, and has anyone had a problem with ramps not fitting under the front lip on a stock TSX? Also, does anyone know the part number for the Honda oil filter cap wrench that fits our filter?
TIA

-Ari
Mid-breakin oil change? What's that?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I was hoping to swing by a local Honda dealer to pick up the tool, but that site doesn't have the part numbers on it
ah, then i would say just call up a local acura dealer they should be able to help.

oh and if you are planning on changing your oil before the manual, i'd say don't.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
'06 TSX 6MT

This is a hotly contested issue in many many threads here, but here's the gist-
during the break-in period (anywhere from 1k-10k miles depending on who you ask), little tiny pieces of metal are being shaved off all the moving parts in the engine (not as many as there used to be thanks to modern machining techniques). Acura ships our engines with an additive put into the oil to reduce wear caused by the metal particles floating around in there, but they're still not so great for the engine. Therefore, at 1000-1200 miles, some people do the first oil change. Also at this point some people switch to synthetic... I was planning on going this route until i learned about the additive- so i'm going to replace the oil with a similarly-formulated dino oil for the oil changes at 1200 and 5000, and go to synthetic after that, following the maintenance minder thereafter.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Whatever he's gonna do will work out.

Bet this will be a good used car. We can do a futures market on good and bad based upon comments
Old 07-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I think this one has the power of the Swartz! Oh, back to topic. No special tools that I'm aware of..........
Welcome to AZ
Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Everyday Joe

Good luck...I had a 93.5 G before it was crushed in an accident by an idiot soccer mommy and I got my TSX. Both are great cars...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

....Therefore, at 1000-1200 miles, some people do the first oil change. Also at this point some people switch to synthetic... I was planning on going this route until i learned about the additive- so i'm going to replace the oil with a similarly-formulated dino oil for the oil changes at 1200 and 5000, and go to synthetic after that, following the maintenance minder thereafter.

so basically you're just going to ignore factory recommendation issued by the ENGINEERS THAT DESIGN & BUILD the car
and do what you "think" is good for your car
...more power to you then.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

I purchased the "special" tool for the oil filters, but would say don't bother with it. All it is a special cap that fits over the end of the filter that you then attach a socket wrench to. The problem is that often times the tool doesn't fit perfectly over the filter and has some play in it. When this happens the tool just slips on the filter when you try to turn it. I tried using that tool once, but then after that have just stuck with using a standard band type oil filter wrench. There isn't much room, but I'm still able to manuever the wrench around enough to be able to grip the filter with it.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fuckleberry
so basically you're just going to ignore factory recommendation issued by the ENGINEERS THAT DESIGN & BUILD the car
Theirs no way changing the oil around 1000 miles can hurt. Weather or not it helps is debatable.

Their was a thread where our resident oil expert, Michael Wan, suggested around 1000 miles to change the dyno oil...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by steve457
I purchased the "special" tool for the oil filters, but would say don't bother with it. All it is a special cap that fits over the end of the filter that you then attach a socket wrench to. The problem is that often times the tool doesn't fit perfectly over the filter and has some play in it. When this happens the tool just slips on the filter when you try to turn it. I tried using that tool once, but then after that have just stuck with using a standard band type oil filter wrench. There isn't much room, but I'm still able to manuever the wrench around enough to be able to grip the filter with it.
Then you bought a shitty tool I guess. I bought the OEM Honda one and it works perfect every time.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

the ENGINEERS THAT DESIGN & BUILD the car only care that X percent of new TSXs last Y years, and X/Z percent last 2Y years. their recommendations about maintenance are based purely on a cost/risk analysis, not keeping a car running in peak condition for as long as humanly possible
Old 07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
The Power of a Grill

burn
Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced

I doubt that this is the case.

In the same vein that Lone Starr said...

The factory recommendation is likely a compromise between many different Honda employees including but not limited to engineers, marketers, and accountants. Of course, not everyone has equal say. Ultimately, a manager listened (hopefully!) to the advice of his subordinates and came up with the official oil change schedule.

It's indeed possible that all parties at Honda agreed upon the official recommended oil change schedule. However, I would bet that the engineers tend to want shorter oil change intervals than recommended and marketers/accountants want longer.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

the ENGINEERS THAT DESIGN & BUILD the car only care that X percent of new TSXs last Y years, and X/Z percent last 2Y years. their recommendations about maintenance are based purely on a cost/risk analysis, not keeping a car running in peak condition for as long as humanly possible

Originally Posted by jihan3
I doubt that this is the case.

In the same vein that Lone Starr said...

The factory recommendation is likely a compromise between many different Honda employees including but not limited to engineers, marketers, and accountants. Of course, not everyone has equal say. Ultimately, a manager listened (hopefully!) to the advice of his subordinates and came up with the official oil change schedule.

It's indeed possible that all parties at Honda agreed upon the official recommended oil change schedule. However, I would bet that the engineers tend to want shorter oil change intervals than recommended and marketers/accountants want longer.
:urbanlegend:
Can you guys back any of those "assertions" up ? with like a reference link ?
Doesn't have to be Honda - any Jpn maker will do.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Advanced

:urbanlegend:
Can you guys back any of those "assertions" up ? with like a reference link ?
Doesn't have to be Honda - any Jpn maker will do.
I have no reference to cite. Do you have a reference for your assertion?

I'm just going on what I've observed of the (business) world in general. Managers make the decisions, and their decisions based on advice from their subordinates. Few things on this earth are cut and dry, so compromises are commonplace.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Banned

I have no reference to cite. Do you have a reference for your assertion?
I wasn't aware I made any assertion of my own but my statement about factory recommedation was based on what is published :
Owner manual, ownerlink, acura.com

I'm just going on what I've observed of the (business) world in general. Managers make the decisions, and their decisions based on advice from their subordinates. Few things on this earth are cut and dry, so compromises are commonplace.
that was my guess
Old 07-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced

I wasn't aware I made any assertion of my own but my statement about factory recommedation was based on what is published :
Owner manual, ownerlink, acura.com
Your assertion is that the published oil change interval is what the engine designers recommend.

In case you can't find it yourself, this is what you said:

Let me know when you find a reference.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

Your assertion is that the published oil change interval is what the engine designers recommend.

Let me know when you find a reference.
Yes, I equate "factory recommendation" to "engineer/designer recommendation" - maybe I'm alone in this interpretation, maybe not

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/car-show-34166/#post387872
see post #8
Old 07-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Yes, I equate "factory recommendation" to "engineer/designer recommendation" - maybe I'm alone in this interpretation, maybe not
You definitely aren't alone in that interpretation. Does that mean that your interpretation is right?

I see that internet forum posts are now valid references. See post #14 in this thread for my reference, then. See, someone agrees with me. I must be right!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Fair enough
I choose to believe factory recomm. is there for a reason and to follow it, you don't,
like I said, more power to you.