Edmunds.com dumps the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmunds.com dumps the TSX

What do you guys think of this: http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx/2007/ratings.html
Old 12-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Quote from Edmunds: "Forgettable exterior styling is compensated somewhat by excellent build quality and an attractive interior. "

I love how the TSX looks and hope in the future to own one. This is quite disappointing since edmunds.com is pretty cool in my books. sure the styling is aged but it still looks fantastic. they got it wrong this time.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That's odd. They went from praising it very highly in earlier years to pretty much trashing it in this review. I think it looks and feels great....exponentially better than pretty much any American offering. These people don't know what they're talking about.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
That's odd. They went from praising it very highly in earlier years to pretty much trashing it in this review. I think it looks and feels great....exponentially better than pretty much any American offering. These people don't know what they're talking about.
I know! Now they have other reviews on there that aren't as harsh, that say what a value it is and etc. etc. but this one I found was horrid, making it sound like it isn't even a luxury car and has almost no redeeming quality.

I hope in 2009 Acura starts kicking everyone's butt. They make the most reliable, most comfortable, best cars around. Time to get a bit more aggressive.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I would also like to mention the blatant discrepancy between their editor's rating, and the users rating.....7.4 compared to 9.5. Now THAT says something....
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Banned

That author is on the rag. The degree to which it's sporty or luxurious is subjective, you can't say that it simply is or isn't, and I'm tired of reviews commenting on the exterior apearance because for one I like it and two EVERYONE can see what the goddamn car looks like in the picture. It's one thing to characterize the handling because you can't know that without driving it but everyone knows what the car looks like so why chime in at all? Even if its more Honda than Acura it's priced like a Honda so where is the negative in that? It's sad to realize that if it were simply badged as a Honda the same reviewer would have probably showered it with praise. Very superficial comments.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I like how the ratings do not reflect the actual review. A bunch of incompetent fools.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Race Director

I don't know what is worse the edmunds reviewers or that CNET reviewer.

I mean you all have seen that Mazda commercial stating that 5 of their cars are on the edmunds editors most wanted list,
Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
This was my favorite, "The TSX 4-cylinder engine isn't as strong as other Acura offerings...". What an amazing observation, that a 4 cyl isn't as strong as a V6 or 2.3L Turbo. Brilliant. Really, whatever they pay these guys they should double it for that kind of in-depth analysis.

And a close second, "Neither sporty nor luxurious, the TSX seems more Honda than Acura." Hmmmm. In other countries, it IS a Honda. Anyway, I find it both sporty and luxurious - what's it lacking?

Oh wait, "...and audio controls are widely seperated from their respective displays." Does ANYONE know what that means? I don't have NAV, and the display is a good - what - 1" away from the controls?

In the words of Lewis Black, I could have eaten a box of Alpha-Bits and crapped a better review.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Oh wait, "...and audio controls are widely seperated from their respective displays." Does ANYONE know what that means? I don't have NAV, and the display is a good - what - 1" away from the controls?
Yeah the only thing I could think is that he meant on the navi. If not I have no clue because every control seems right in the perfect place for me.

And the Acura TSX is the Customer Most Wanted car for sedan under $30,000. People love the car. Fancy reviewers who think they know it all don't know so much.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Quote from Edmunds: "Forgettable exterior styling is compensated somewhat by excellent build quality and an attractive interior. "

I love how the TSX looks and hope in the future to own one. This is quite disappointing since edmunds.com is pretty cool in my books. sure the styling is aged but it still looks fantastic. they got it wrong this time.
You know, "critics" dump on the appearance of the car like it looks horrible. It looks better than probably 80% of the cars out there on the road. Maybe it isn't the most stunning but it's not bad. It is a very refined appearance. Not flashy. It may be slightly dated but it is just about to be redesigned. But I don't see why they act is if it is just absolutely bad looking...

I think Subaru's look like crap.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would like to see what this critic views as an appealing car in the same price range.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Instructor

My guess is that the critics are fawning over something like the Legacy GT, which seems pretty bland in my book.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Banned

Ya that CNET review is pretty bad to, where the guy spends his allotted sixty seconds of video time bitching about the nav unit and never even turns the car on.

I disagree that the TSX looks dated. If that's to say it "looks four years old" then guess what, it is four years old.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Let's screw with edmunds and all give the TSX a 10/10

And for being out for as long as it has, the exterior of the car doesn't look aged at all to me. It still looks way better than most brand new designs out there.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Let's screw with edmunds and all give the TSX a 10/10

And for being out for as long as it has, the exterior of the car doesn't look aged at all to me. It still looks way better than most brand new designs out there.
I do like the 2008 Accord design.

I'm excited to see the 2009 TSX design...
Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flasshy
I do like the 2008 Accord design.
The rear of the '08 Accord is beautiful. The front is a royal mess.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They rated 5 mazda's as "best in class" nothing more needs to be said about thier reviewing ability
Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
it seems these reviews are alot like movie reviews-the ones that the so-called experts think are lousy are for the most part the ones I like. they can write what they want about the tsx-I love mine.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Just go write your own review. The consumer rating is higher than their rating and isn't what buyers think more important?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The TSX design is timeless. I will buy another one in a few years as a second car. The consumer rating should be all that matter. I bet next year they will be paid off by Ford or GM when they are trying to rebuild their image.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Yeah, look for GM or FOMOCO ads on edmunds
Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you guys bust out the pitch forks, I have to agree on NAV equipped cars, the HVAC controls are less than desirable.
There should be quicker access to some of the basic commands instead of just 'Auto'.
In fact, for something as oft used as HVAC, I don't think they should be integrated into the NAV at all.

BT should be displayed on the screen instead, e.g. numeric keypad, setup commands, etc.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Populuxe
The rear of the '08 Accord is beautiful. The front is a royal mess.
I'd say the exact opposite.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I agree with you!

Originally Posted by batman
The TSX design is timeless. I will buy another one in a few years as a second car. The consumer rating should be all that matter. I bet next year they will be paid off by Ford or GM when they are trying to rebuild their image.
Yup, I agree totally with you that the TSX is still looking HOT!!!

I had my 4 year old NBP TSX all washed up today. As I left a parking garage this evening, the guy at the booth had to comment how nice and sharp the car looked. Then I reminded him that it's already 4 years old!

Oooh, and I saw a spanking new TSX in RBP this afternoon - that one is SUPER SHARP! What a beautiful color it is on the TSX :-)
Old 12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Über Geek

Our opinions are what matter.

Oh, and those of ACTUAL auto journalists who write for respected car mags. I remember Car & Driver putting our little baby on the 10 Best list (possibly twice?) and raving over it in reviews and comparos.

Edmunds can toss my salad.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Unauthorized User

This is why i don't read the reviews on Edmunds.com
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Instructor

I got my 08 TSX a week ago.. I did read about the review on Edmunds.com and choose to ignore it. I checked with my friend who works in dealership parts department where he does hear about reliablity on other brands too.. He gave thumbs up on TSX and highly recommended this car... He also told me that even current model of TL still has transmission problem. Although I can get a better deal, i.e. below invoice price, for TL, I still go for TSX. Ya 4 cylinders produces way lower torque than V6, but I uses this car as a commuter too... gas mileage needs to be well considered too.

Another weird trend is that Honda starts to walk away from touch screen GPS.. like RL, .... and now Accord now all uses a big knot to control GPS... I am not a big fan for that..

Happy New Year all

-- william
Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Race Director

The TSX is also in the last year of its design so its doing pretty well but am the only 1 who thought it was funny they said they 4 cylinder wasnt as powerful as the 6 cylinder?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

It was amazing that they'd point out that the engine wasn't as strong as other Acura models, as if that wasn't fully to be expected. Should the Honda Civic be saddled with a V8?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wackura
It was amazing that they'd point out that the engine wasn't as strong as other Acura models, as if that wasn't fully to be expected. Should the Honda Civic be saddled with a V8?
I just wish the J-series out of the TL fit in the TSX.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Intermediate

Considering that there are plenty of other editors' and consumers' reviews of the TSX which are in stark contrast with this writer's opinion (even within Edmunds), it's clear that he has a very different and perhaps misguided view of what type of car the TSX is supposed to be. Still, I wouldn't bash Edmunds too much over just one of their writer's opinion of the TSX as they are generally a pretty good and reliable source of vehicle information.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Instructor

To be honest, i believe edmunds is spot on. They are providing their objective views whereas the fellas here aren't since most are TSX owners. It is sort of like saying... who would want to hear how ugly their own kids are ???

the TSX is a well made and handsome car but its overpriced and underpowered with respect to the other Acura lineup. So what that it has HID's and "Sports suspension"... its a euro honda which is why you'll see the interior is exactly the same and built on a modified accord world platform. the 4 cylinder engine is peppy once mated to a manual gearbox but not so stunning with an auto.

I do quite like the interior dash and the compact styling inside however the american market goes for the "bigger is always better" mentality so this tsx is hardly the car most people aspire to own as a family car or as a sports sedan.

When the RSX first was launched, i had all the fondness for it as it was the next generation to my own DC2 Integra... After driving an RSX loaner years later, i am glad to say im lucky not to buy one. You get what you pay for and i'd rather pickup a used TL over a new RSX or TSX any day.

Dont take the piss out of Edmunds for their views as no one here does to people who make baseless comments on AZ here all the time...
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Banned

Overpriced? By what stretch of the imagination? Edmunds never even described it as overpriced. Even Edmunds' shitty review is more accurate than yours.

When a good criticism of the TSX comes along we're the first to agree. We're not deluded into thinking this is the best car money can buy. You jerk.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by acitydweller
To be honest, i believe edmunds is spot on. They are providing their objective views whereas the fellas here aren't since most are TSX owners. It is sort of like saying... who would want to hear how ugly their own kids are ???

the TSX is a well made and handsome car but its overpriced and underpowered with respect to the other Acura lineup. So what that it has HID's and "Sports suspension"... its a euro honda which is why you'll see the interior is exactly the same and built on a modified accord world platform. the 4 cylinder engine is peppy once mated to a manual gearbox but not so stunning with an auto.

I do quite like the interior dash and the compact styling inside however the american market goes for the "bigger is always better" mentality so this tsx is hardly the car most people aspire to own as a family car or as a sports sedan.

When the RSX first was launched, i had all the fondness for it as it was the next generation to my own DC2 Integra... After driving an RSX loaner years later, i am glad to say im lucky not to buy one. You get what you pay for and i'd rather pickup a used TL over a new RSX or TSX any day.

Dont take the piss out of Edmunds for their views as no one here does to people who make baseless comments on AZ here all the time...
Overpriced? Hardly. There are way more people than even the owners who think it's an extremely good value for the money - that's what everyone always praises it for.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Why bother reading what the citics say? I just go with what I like and want.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I don't see the point of comparing the TSX to the other cars in the lineup. Each car fills a specific market demand. I makes no business sense to make them comparable. If they were, you dilute your market with duplicate offerings. They're supposed to be different. The TSX is less powerful because it's the less expensive model - is that concept so hard to understand? I get to see the Boeing chart now and again that shows each aircraft and the market it serves. There are no two aircraft that serve the same type of route and passenger demand. They cover the range. Comparing a TSX to other Acuras makes about as much sense as comparing a 737 and a 777 and criticizing the 737 for it's lack of range and capacity compared to the 777. Duh....

Compared to 4-passenger sport sedans in the 28-30K price range the TSX stands at the top of a short list. The fact you have to compare it to $35K V6 sedans is a credit to the TSX.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor

This had me puzzled as Edmunds is where we spent a fair amount of time while looking for info from places-- and they liked the TSX...

So I clicked on the "Editors Review" rather than the "Editors Ratings" for the TSX (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41190) and.... as I recalled, they really liked it... and only say the torque is underwhelming (which it is) and a 5th passenger would have to sit in the middle "seat." MASSIVE difference from the comments in the ratings!

I still love my car, so I take all this stuff w/ a grain of salt. Some "credible" places praise Fords for example, but my dad would come back to haunt me if I ever somehow decided to consider owning that kind of mess!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor

That is a puzzling review. It's almost like he intentionaly bashed all the "humble" characteristics of the car. The only cars I sit in where I am truly 100% jealous compared to my TSX are high end german luxury cars. And even then the Mercedes comand or the BMW Idrive just seem overly complicated.

In a few years or so, when gas is $5+ a gallon, I wonder if the "professional" reviewers are still going to make or break a car because of the size of the engine. It seems so trivial in the grand scheme of a cars total package.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Roffles
That is a puzzling review. It's almost like he intentionaly bashed all the "humble" characteristics of the car. The only cars I sit in where I am truly 100% jealous compared to my TSX are high end german luxury cars. And even then the Mercedes comand or the BMW Idrive just seem overly complicated.

In a few years or so, when gas is $5+ a gallon, I wonder if the "professional" reviewers are still going to make or break a car because of the size of the engine. It seems so trivial in the grand scheme of a cars total package.
Well, here is my take on big engines. 1. I've already just missed out on a few speeding tickets with my TSX so any more power and I'd only be getting myself closer to danger. 2. I'm not going to race anyone so what's the point? I didn't buy my TSX so I could race it. I bought it because of its luxury, comfort and refined style with just enough power. I think it has enough power for the average person. It has enough for me while still giving me good fuel economy. It's the perfect balance.

Quick Reply: Edmunds.com dumps the TSX