DVD Navigation Repair Alpine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Navigation Repair Alpine

I've had the dreaded check disk for a little while on my 04 TSX and decided I'd like to get it repaired. I contacted Alpine and they said the cost is now $358 for repairs if I send my unit in. At this price I'm wondering if it is the best option to have a working navi (I don't use it much, but it would be nice to have my A/C controls back).

Anyone know if I can find units for this price? I've checked on ebay but didn't see anything there. Can other years be used in the 04 TSX?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Check car-part.com for CD-Radio. You will likely need to call and be sure you get all components. I assume you only need the DVD drive. They might consider a sale of this component for less, but more likely will want to bundle navigation system and DVD drive.

Check ebay also. They are there, but looks like they've read about Alpines price increase also.

good luck
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kh217
I've had the dreaded check disk for a little while on my 04 TSX and decided I'd like to get it repaired. I contacted Alpine and they said the cost is now $358 for repairs if I send my unit in. At this price I'm wondering if it is the best option to have a working navi
Wow! It used to be half that 2 years ago! Good luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by kh217
I've had the dreaded check disk for a little while on my 04 TSX and decided I'd like to get it repaired. I contacted Alpine and they said the cost is now $358 for repairs if I send my unit in. At this price I'm wondering if it is the best option to have a working navi (I don't use it much, but it would be nice to have my A/C controls back).

Anyone know if I can find units for this price? I've checked on ebay but didn't see anything there. Can other years be used in the 04 TSX?

Thanks for any help!
Boy that sucks. It used to be $150. The navi was updated on the 2006 model. I know it has been asked before if the DVD units were interchangable but I can't remember the answer. You may also look for a replacement in a junk yard.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thats ridiculous, however dealerships want some $500 for a replacement one, a few junkyards are trying to sell them for $700+ (haha), the $358 is looking like a better option. However with all the people having issues with Alpines DVD unit there should be a recall, either that or a class action lawsuit in which Alpine must replace all units. I may try to contact Honda about this, while perhaps consulting a lawyer.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tunit
Thats ridiculous, however dealerships want some $500 for a replacement one, a few junkyards are trying to sell them for $700+ (haha), the $358 is looking like a better option. However with all the people having issues with Alpines DVD unit there should be a recall, either that or a class action lawsuit in which Alpine must replace all units. I may try to contact Honda about this, while perhaps consulting a lawyer.
Good luck with that. These units are well past the warranty period. Nothing is designed to last forever, especially electronics mounted in the trunk of a car. To go after a class action lawsuit to cover a $350 repair is a little ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Good luck with that. These units are well past the warranty period. Nothing is designed to last forever, especially electronics mounted in the trunk of a car. To go after a class action lawsuit to cover a $350 repair is a little ridiculous.
Warranty or not, Defective products can and should be taken care of regardless of length of time it took to stop working. If it is a known thing than there should of been something from the Manufacturers to right the issue. Besides with Alpine wanting the $358 cash or money order means they are trying to hide it so that it cannot be traced back to them because they dont want a paper trail.
Think about it $358 times a few hundred people still having the issue because of POS workmanship is costing consumers $35,800+ because they do not want to do anything about it. Based off of Class Action Lawsuits the current defective product meets the requirements for this to happen:

Commonality—there must be one or more legal or factual claims common to the entire class
Adequacy—the representative parties must adequately protect the interests of the class,
Numerosity—the class must be so large as to make individual suits impractical (in other words, that the class action is a superior vehicle for resolution than numerous individual suits), and
Typicality—the claims or defenses must be typical of the plaintiffs or defendants.

This would help everyone who currently has the problem in the 9+ models with the same issue, and those who have had it fixed (ie, getting their money refunded back). If consumers stepped up and didnt put up with defective products then we could perhaps get better manufacturing. I am not looking out for myself but for everyone who has the problem and the manufacturers want us to pay for their mistakes, which is not right.
I have contacted a lawyer and am waiting for a call back to tell me how to proceed with the hearings to get this going.

I will update when I hear more

Last edited by tunit; 09-25-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Just mail that post to them. I bet they'll holler cafe-rope and roll over for you.

good luck
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you guys ship the disc when you return to Alpine or just the drive?