Drove the new IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drove the new IS

Went to the Taste of Lexus event this past weekend, and got to drove the IS350... This car is fast I must say, it felt as quick as the V8 545 I drove a couple of months back, although not as "torquey".

The car felt light on its feet compared to its main competitor (330i) and cornered well, although not as good as the bimmer when pushed to the limits (but still very well mannered when doing so and body roll was much more manageable than the TSX). It was a lot more fun to drive and much more power though. Well balanced, and no sense of oversteer or understeer with good feedback. Interior was very nice and refined , had some cool touches to it too. Exterior was very handsome, smooth curvature and lines. The one I drove I believe was teh glacier frost mica, which was essentially a pearl white color that has a more pronounced pearl effect, very nice. Honestly, in my opinion I think the IS (250 and 350) is a level up above the TSX in most aspects.

The event was not very well organized (too many people), but I had fun trying out the IS350, GS300, and RX400h, which was very nice and quiet, I cannot tell when it transitions from electric to gasoline motor, and it is extremely quiet. Interior is way nicer than most of the other SUV's out there in the same segment.

The food was great too!

I'll probably get flamed for this, but after driving these cars, it confirmed my thinking of Lexus being well ahead of Acura in terms of refinement, perfomance, and quality, and definitely it has established a much more prestigeous brand image.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'll be attending the event on the 24th at fedex field...we'll see how it goes...
Old 09-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. I don't think anyone will flame you. The new IS is pretty damn nice! It's just that it costs quite a bit more once you add up all the options. I don't think it really was emant to compete against the TSx at all and competes much more directly with the TL.

The TSX is still a great choice for the <30K price point!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Audi Driving Snob

A new is350 is falling squarely in my plans for a new car. I had plans to upgrade after like 3 years of the tsx (only 6 months away!) So I will probably j ust hold off until I can pick up an is350 on lease or certified preowned. I still can't believe C&D got it to hit 0-60 in 5.1 seconds!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The IS350 is a two door sports car with 4 doors. There is no room in the back seats. My friend went to the Lexus fest in NY. He liked the IS350 as mentioned here (Refined look, luxury and fast). But its useless to think you can use the back seats. My buddy is 5'8" and couldn't fit in the back seat. A Loaded IS350 will run $40K car. I believe, Lexus hasn't addressed the market for the IS. They want to go after the 3, TL and GS, but the car is way too small, even smaller than the TSX interior. People will buy the IS 250/350 just like people buy the MB C-Class. Not many people will cross-shop the TSX and IS250/350 ...and if they do, they'll realize the $7K difference quickly.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Racer

You won't get flamed by me!! I've always thought Acura is a step down in luxury from Lexus but it's also a step down in price.

Aside from the actual car, Lexus just treats their customers better, at least where I live. At my lexus dealer they have pastry, coffee, soda, juice, big screen TV etc, all the Acura dealer has is a dirty washroom. My friends with Lexus get picked or dropped off for service etc, I have to walk to MacDonalds for a coffee and wait while my cars get serviced.

Actually, my local Honda dealer provides better and a LOT cheaper service than my Acura dealer. Still love Acura cars though.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Instructor

IS250 will be competitor for TSX

probably going for a few thousand more loaded than TSX at that. Reports are that the Transmission in the 250 is "murky". Personally I find Lexus Interiors overdone and overbearing.

IS250/A4/TSX/325/C-Sedan/9-? will be cross-shopped ~30k

350 competes with the BMW330i and will be both nearer to 40k+, frankly with all the money and resources of Lexus I would have expected them to do better on the handling and vehicle dynamics than you desc. and be able to spank the 330i.

Guess the 330 isn't so easy to catch.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Racer

Yes the TSX is a step down from the IS250.

But price matters.

You can get a new 05 TSX for $25,500. The TSX is a damn nice car for that much.

The IS250 is going to be probably $32-33k.

Is the IS250 worth $7-8 more then the TSX?? Tthats for everyone to decide.

I personally would take the $7k and put it in my pocket then go for the IS250.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrthomas

That doesn't make sense.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I'd take IS250 over TSX if it's 30,000 dollars......so we are on the same page here
no flame +1 hahaha
Old 09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jmathew34
i'll be attending the event on the 24th at fedex field...we'll see how it goes...
When are you gonna be there?

I'm going to be there all day so gimme a call when you're around.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom

That doesn't make sense.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

In terms of competition, honestly I don't think Lexus really had Acura in mind that much. I always thought the Acura line up is 'unique' (or weird), it has two FWD vehicles (TSX and TL) that are both larger than their competitor and have similar characteristics.... think of it as a 325/330 relationship but with a whole lot of differences at the same time... TSX WILL take away sales from IS250, 325, A4 2.0, C240, etc, but personally I don't think it's a fear to Lexus... I think Lexus is pretty much blindfolded and aiming at BMW (and MB for markets outside of the US)....

I'm not sure how the IS350 compares side by side to the 330i (although strightline performance it is clear that the IS350 is much faster, but 330i seems to have better brakes), but the 330i does inspire more confidence, while the IS350 feels more tossable and fun to drive.

Perhaps it's because I always liked the Altezza/IS300...and now the IS, I would *personally* definitely pay ~$31k for an IS250 over a TSX for ~$26k.....only if this new IS had come out 2 yrs later...
Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 PM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by dom

That doesn't make sense.
Edmunds' review doesn't speak to favorably for the IS250's handling.

"The IS 250 cruises along freeways like the luxury car it is. The ride is controlled but soft. On twisting roads it sort of wafts along never doing anything that could upset the passenger cabin extensively. Exciting? Not really. But it is comfortable, reassuring and competent. Plus, the manual transmission in the preproduction machine we sampled shifted with long throws and hazily defined gates. Lexus says it will be better in production models."

Of course the TSX has about the best FWD handling you can find anywhere (why I didn't buy a TL) and the TSX's 6MT smooth shifting is 2nd to none.

The IS looks great, but it stills seems to come far, far short of a 3 series. Stay with your IBP TSX Dom.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 PM
TSX Lover

BTW, I haven't posted in a Loooooonnnngggg time. Nice the CYA guys.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 PM
TSX Lover

Sorry, forgot the link
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106455
Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Actually, prballard, if you look up slalom and skidpad numbers, the TL can outhandle a TSX. Just a heads-up - it's all in how it feels.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Yes the TSX is a step down from the IS250.

But price matters.

You can get a new 05 TSX for $25,500. The TSX is a damn nice car for that much.

The IS250 is going to be probably $32-33k.

Is the IS250 worth $7-8 more then the TSX?? Tthats for everyone to decide.

I assume "than" not "then" if so it makes sense...

As for cross shopping the TSX and IS I can say I for one am doing it. But I must admit price seems to be the Lexus bugaboo at least for me. Even without a test drive I am sure the IS "would" be my choice BUT the fact the saved cash translates into a set of Totem Mani II speakers, stands and cables for a car that in my view (so far) is just marginally better than the TSX might hold huge sway at "write the check" time.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:55 AM
TSX Lover

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Actually, prballard, if you look up slalom and skidpad numbers, the TL can outhandle a TSX. Just a heads-up - it's all in how it feels.
A little off topic for this thread, but the TL has way too much torque steer to be considered a great handling car, even by FWD standards. Something the are attempting to fix for 06.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Wrong,
TSX > TL in handling.

If you care about slalom numbers, the stock tires on the TSX do not GRIP at all. Replace the tires and get a bigger swaybar and the TL won't stand a chance.

The TSX is the best handling FWD car to date, IMO.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro

On another note: Sport Compact Car/Skunk2's TSX project car gets more g's on the skidpad than a stock RWD E46 M3.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by static808
I believe, Lexus hasn't addressed the market for the IS. They want to go after the 3, TL and GS, but the car is way too small, even smaller than the TSX interior.
They're not going after the GS. GS is a Lexus too ya know?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by drkangel348
Wrong,
TSX > TL in handling.

If you care about slalom numbers, the stock tires on the TSX do not GRIP at all. Replace the tires and get a bigger swaybar and the TL won't stand a chance.

The TSX is the best handling FWD car to date, IMO.
Are you forgetting about the Type-R's?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

The only true good handling FWD car in my books are the Integra/RSX DC variants (DC2R, DC4R, and maybe the RSX-S).....

Good handling FWD SEDANS, on the other hand, Euro-R and TSX would be on the list.... but I really think the TSX needs a LSD and stiffer/lower springs to make it truely sporty, and it is not that far off from it as the way it comes in stock.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by prballard
The IS looks great, but it stills seems to come far, far short of a 3 series. Stay with your IBP TSX Dom.

I would have to disagree on this.... it's really not that far off from a 3 series.... esp when it comes to real performance, although "feel"-wise, the 3 feels more solid and does inspire more confidence, while the IS is more tossable (has the japanese car light-on-its-feet feel, German cars always have that heavy but solid feel to their cars). Interior fit and finish AND design wise I will pick the IS any day. Exterior fit and finish, the 3 is still a bit ahead... esp with the door closing "thump" (although it's found on the GS)
Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by supraken
I'll probably get flamed for this, but after driving these cars, it confirmed my thinking of Lexus being well ahead of Acura in terms of refinement, perfomance, and quality, and definitely it has established a much more prestigeous brand image.
um....where have u been the past decade? Comparing Lexus to Acura is like comparing Mercedes to VW. Lexus has always been up there in terms of quality, refinement, luxury and is one of the prestigeous luxury brands next to BMW and MB. Unless Acura pulls the Infiniti trick of changing it's image as a true luxury-performance company than a "entry-level luxury" brand, then Acura has a long way to go...they would have to go RWD, kill the RSX, and improve their designs to compete. That's the honest truth. Acura can only tackle on the Audi in terms of brand rivalry.

But back to the topic. The IS definitely looks like a nice car. I was gonna consider it but i figure configuring an IS250 with navi will put me into the $36000 crowd. so i sprung ahead with the TSX. I'll wait for the Taste of Lexus event to make my verdict heh.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:44 AM
TSX Lover

I would have to disagree on this.... it's really not that far off from a 3 series.... esp when it comes to real performance, although "feel"-wise, the 3 feels more solid and does inspire more confidence, while the IS is more tossable (has the japanese car light-on-its-feet feel, German cars always have that heavy but solid feel to their cars). Interior fit and finish AND design wise I will pick the IS any day. Exterior fit and finish, the 3 is still a bit ahead... esp with the door closing "thump" (although it's found on the GS)
I am not trying to make you mad here. Lexus makes a fine car. They are generally just not setup for driving enthusiast. How does a "tossable" equate to "soft feel" from the Edmunds' review? Aren't they direct opposites?? I saw the new IS at the US Open in Queens. It is great looking car. Lexus makes a lot of great looking cars.

Acura spent a lot of years letting Lexus get way, way ahead of them in prestige. The TSX, and for that matter the TL, are still better vehicles for the driving enthusiast.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro

The only true good handling FWD car in my books are the Integra/RSX DC variants (DC2R, DC4R, and maybe the RSX-S).....

Good handling FWD SEDANS, on the other hand, Euro-R and TSX would be on the list.... but I really think the TSX needs a LSD and stiffer/lower springs to make it truely sporty, and it is not that far off from it as the way it comes in stock.

I love the DC2's.
IMO the Prelude Type-SH and ITR DC2's are true gems.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did they have 6 speed IS250's there?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
When are you gonna be there?

I'm going to be there all day so gimme a call when you're around.
i'll be there around 11:00, hopefully will be good weather
Old 09-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TypeRS
um....where have u been the past decade? Comparing Lexus to Acura is like comparing Mercedes to VW. Lexus has always been up there in terms of quality, refinement, luxury and is one of the prestigeous luxury brands next to BMW and MB.

That's what you and I think, but many people on here don't think that....
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by prballard
I am not trying to make you mad here. Lexus makes a fine car. They are generally just not setup for driving enthusiast. How does a "tossable" equate to "soft feel" from the Edmunds' review? Aren't they direct opposites?? I saw the new IS at the US Open in Queens. It is great looking car. Lexus makes a lot of great looking cars.

Acura spent a lot of years letting Lexus get way, way ahead of them in prestige. The TSX, and for that matter the TL, are still better vehicles for the driving enthusiast.

Nope I'm not mad at all, I'm open to opinions... Well, I think the best way is the drive it for yourself..... personally I don't trust car magazines that much, let alone Edmund's. I drove the IS350 and the 325i myself (although not exactly IS350 vs 330i), and what I said was what I think....
Old 09-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by psteng19
Did they have 6 speed IS250's there?

Yes, they do have 6 speed.......AUTOMATIC's

no, they do not have any manual cars out there, if that's what you're asking...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's what you and I think, but many people on here don't think that....
i think along the same lines as you too.

perceived luxury and quality on a lexus is apparently higher than acura. for some reason, i see acura as middle ground, between the hondas/nissans/toyotas and infinitis/lexus'.

i have no idea why, maybe it's b/c of their model line-up? philosophical approach? i have no clue. this was a topic discussed in one of my marketing courses during my undergrad.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, they do have 6 speed.......AUTOMATIC's

no, they do not have any manual cars out there, if that's what you're asking...
i swear i thought lexus has the 6MT for the is250 rwd.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
i swear i thought lexus has the 6MT for the is250 rwd.
They do.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Instructor

When I spoke to a Lexus rep at the NY auto show, he told me the pricing on the new IS would be sandwiched around the current IS 300. i.e. IS 250 less, starting at $28K, and IS 350 more, starting at $32K. As far as i know official pricing has not been set as of yet.

I'm hoping an IS 250 will run at about $30K well equiped with a manual. Too bad the 350 only comes with an autobox. I'm looking to make the move to RWD when my lease is up in 1.5 years. My only concern is that the 250 will be a slug. Only time and a test drive will tell.

If an IS 250 with a stick can be bought for ~ $30K, i think lexus may steal some buyers away from TSX, myself included.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Lexus may market the IS250 as a 30K car but no such car will exist on dealer lots. The base car has cloth seats and no sunroof. What are the chances any dealer will stock something like that? Mind you, that's exactly what I would want - but I'm in the minority.

Biker, who would pay about a $2K premium for the IS250 over the TSX, but no more.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Got Phó?

What would you want? An RL or an IS350?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Race Director

Neither of the above, I'll take an M45 instead.

Quick Reply: Drove the new IS