Drove behind a stupid gravel truck today

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Drove behind a stupid gravel truck today

I was on my way to work this morning and noticed the sound of tiny rocks hitting my car. Immediately, I looked around to see what lane the source of them came from. After driving about 2 miles with the sound getting louder and louder, I gave up and got off the nearest exit. It wasn't until then I noticed a gravel truck about a 1/2 mile ahead.

When I got to work, I looked at my front end of my previously immaculate black TSX. It now looks like my car's front end is at least 2 years old. Full of chips. Oh well, I figured it had to happen sometime -- but never imagined it would happen after owning my car only 4 weeks!

Have any of you tried getting the truck to pull over or write down their plates? A friend of mine swears that he got the trucking company to pay for his broken windsheild since it is illegal for them to drive with gravel pouring out the back.
[/rant]
Old 07-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Unfortunetaly you're right. I have a black TSX too and it looks like death warmed over forward of the rear view mirrors......it was only a matter of time....
Old 07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
I was on my way to work this morning and noticed the sound of tiny rocks hitting my car. Immediately, I looked around to see what lane the source of them came from. After driving about 2 miles with the sound getting louder and louder, I gave up and got off the nearest exit. It wasn't until then I noticed a gravel truck about a 1/2 mile ahead.

When I got to work, I looked at my front end of my previously immaculate black TSX. It now looks like my car's front end is at least 2 years old. Full of chips. Oh well, I figured it had to happen sometime -- but never imagined it would happen after owning my car only 4 weeks!

Have any of you tried getting the truck to pull over or write down their plates? A friend of mine swears that he got the trucking company to pay for his broken windsheild since it is illegal for them to drive with gravel pouring out the back.
[/rant]
It is illegal for them to haul without covering their load...and some companies will pay for repairs if you do the following:

1. Write down the truck's license plate
2. Write down the location
3. Write down the time
4. Bug the crud out of them
Old 07-03-2005, 09:43 AM
AutoX'er

This has happened to me with my previous car, a rock came out of the bed of an on coming dump truck in a construction area, left a crater in my windshield. After it hit I pulled through the cones and went to the construction office. They were very receptive and asked me to leave my details so that a representative could contact me. By the time I made it to work there was a message on my phone asking me to get the damage quoted, by the end of the week it was fixed and paid for.

After they sent me my cheque I called back thanking them for being so profesional, and asked if this is something they have to deal with regularly... The guy replied "Actually not that often, we get a couple people per job complaining we damaged their car, but who's to say they're not trying to get us to pay for something their kid did?". To which I replied "Well then why were you so willing to pay for my damage when I just rolled in and said one of your trucks did it?". He said "Well actually, we didn't pay... the trucking company paid... and the only reason we belived you is cause that moron in the truck dropped rocks on 3 of our workers cars as he pulled out... total cost to the trucking company was over $10,000!"

On a side note, this week I got passed by a old Mercedes Diesel. It was dumping a lot of smoke, but not untill I tried to clean my windshield did I notice it was dumping a lot of oil too. Being already milding ticked from just the smoke and smell I blew past him, opened the sun roof and chucked my drink... got him right in the hood emblem! Stupid thing to do?... probably... satifying?... ABSOLUTELY!

My point... if there is one: If someone above the driver can be held accountable by all means persue that avenue. If it comes down to you and the driver... either get over it... or get even.

-SWRT
Old 07-04-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Vigilante road justice...
Old 07-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by SWRT
On a side note, this week I got passed by a old Mercedes Diesel. It was dumping a lot of smoke, but not untill I tried to clean my windshield did I notice it was dumping a lot of oil too. Being already milding ticked from just the smoke and smell I blew past him, opened the sun roof and chucked my drink... got him right in the hood emblem! Stupid thing to do?... probably... satifying?... ABSOLUTELY! -SWRT
Haha I did the coffee cup out of the sunroof once after my friend squirted me with the windshield wiper trick on a long road trip....ah the college days.

I don't do road rage these days. For some reason I'm just not affected by it as much. I figure what goes around comes around I guess...damnit i'm getting old!!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Racer

avoid road rage so an idiot wont pull out a gun and shoot you.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
AutoX'er

Originally Posted by rtlltj
avoid road rage so an idiot wont pull out a gun and shoot you.
In Canada thats not much of a problem. Gotta watch out for axes though... everyone's packing an axe.