Drove an 09 TSX and 09 TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Drove an 09 TSX and 09 TL

My wife and I bought a new 08 TSX in the summer of 07. What a great car. We have 36k miles on it now and haven't had any trouble at all. I recently got a letter from the local dealership stating that they are looking for 1-2 yr old Acura's. So i figured well why not it was a nice letter so I will go in get to drive the new stuff and talk some figures.

Drove the 09 TSX first. Not a bad car. Larger, quieter, great tech package! Not near as fun to drive as our 08. Car felt so much heavier, not as quick or snappy. Like the looks of it but that was it. Not sure if it is actually slower, but sure feels that way. You know that great kick that you get when the 08's rev up? Not so much with the 09.

Drove the 09 TL Base. Absolutely loved that car. Interior is beautiful. Lots more Luxury then our 08 tsx, but what do you expect it is $15k more!!! That 3.5L V6 is awesome. Very quiet interior and tons of room. Now if I can get the #'s to work out then we will go for it. It will have to be one heck of a deal to pass on our TSX. We still love our car its great!!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I am patiently waiting for the 2010 TL with 6MT. I do love my 06 tsx with 85,000+problem free miles but after having the 09 TL as a loaner car I fell in love with that.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor

The 1st gen TSX demographic with compact body and sharp lines is going extinct. Everything is going to less manual trans and bigger/heavier/fatter.

More reason to keep my 1st gen 6sp manual..... Unless they come out with turbo'd 4cyl with a manual trans....
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Daffunda
The 1st gen TSX demographic with compact body and sharp lines is going extinct. Everything is going to less manual trans and bigger/heavier/fatter.

I totally concur, I was hoping that the Acura designers saw that Toyota tried the fatter/bloated designs with there non-luxury brand Camry's, and they look like .

Even more reason to like the 04-08 TSX.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Racer

I think the lines of the TSX are some of the best out on the road. I don't like the rounded look ofr the new Camry, Accord, etc.

I think the look is timeless, similar to the 3G TL. To me, but the 1G TSX and the 3G TL are the nicest and most endless designs for Acura. The 2G RL is also nice, just don't see as many on the road.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

I do really like the looks of both the 09 tsx and the 09 tl. the 09 tsx is just to big of a car now for our motor. its like they took the fun out of it. the camry is a nice car... but to make a car everyone likes you have to make it as plain as you can. the camry does everything ok, just nothing great. it seems like acura took the tsx and made it more smooth, quieter, which are nice things. but when you like the quick responsive driving that looses the purpose of why we bought the car anyway. now the new tl is a blast to drive. it felt more sporty then the new tsx.

definilty made us appreciate our 08 tsx... not that we had to anyways its just a great car.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Hey WOLFY, why don't you wait for the v6 TSX to come out so you can compare that car to the TL? I think it's supposed to drop within the next couple weeks. I'm sure by driving that v6 TSX, it will further validate your decision as to which car you'll be choosing to purchase.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

I have thought about that too. Just not sure about the price yet. For a bit more I can have the TL. Its bigger quieter and more luxurious. But when they get on I may just have to give it a whirl. Like I said before its gotta be an awesome car to make me want to give up the 08
Old 07-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't forget, when the 1G TSX was designed, the RSX was around to fill the low-end of the Acura line up. Without the RSX, the 2G TSX is now the lowest end. I sometimes get the feeling that Acura wants people to pick up TL's instead of TSX's.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
10th Gear

I had a 09 TSX as a loaner for about a week (have an 07 TSX 6mt) - it felt bigger and less sporty compared to my car. I suppose it feels "more refined" in terms of luxury (read: quieter - can't hear the engine as much). The S-mode does hold revs longer, but I didn't use the flappy paddles at all after the first day.

I am also not a fan of the new front-grille look and sea of buttons on the dash.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

that is what I experienced as well. Nice car bigger, quieter, but felt slower and not as fun to drive as the 1st gen. Seemed like it would fit more peoples lives... like the camry or the accord, or the altima.

Seems to me it lost the stand apart from the rest features and driving characteristics that my wife and I love about our 1st gen.

Now the 2nd gen TL is a blast to drive..
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I too have an 08 TSX and I've had an 09 TL and TSX as loaners. Over all, I think I agree with most here. The new TSX and TL are a bit more refined, quieter, smoother. But they are more boring. Electric power steering makes for a very numb driving experience. There's no weight to it. And while I'm sure I could get used to it, I didn't like the steering wheel buttons. The dash design is boring (love those 6:00 zero gagues on the 1G TSX). The 2G has a few nice features I wish 1G had. The sunroof opens with the windows when you hold the unlock on the fob. The USB port on the audio system and A2DP are fantastic features I wish I could add. The compass on the non navi model is nice, kinda wish mine had that. But those are minor parts of the overall driving experience. Also, I've got to say that I think the 1G stereo sounds a lot better than the 2G non tech. I get more low end out of my 2 factory 6x9s than that crappy "sub" they put in the rear deck. I can't comment on the ELS system, but I was truly unimpressed with the base system.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Don't forget, when the 1G TSX was designed, the RSX was around to fill the low-end of the Acura line up. Without the RSX, the 2G TSX is now the lowest end. I sometimes get the feeling that Acura wants people to pick up TL's instead of TSX's.
Acually the lowest end is the CSX (u don't get it in the USA) just to clarify
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Instructor

I had both the 09 TSX and TL as loaners, and i was acually impressed with the TL i love the back end styling, and i was nice on the highway. But i was happy to get back into my 05 TSX way better handling and more fun.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too have had a new TSX tech & TL (tech?) and both feel: SIMILAR-in that they are larger than before, more tech savy, more refined and very plush, comfy & luxurious. However, NEITHER feels sporty, athletic or very fun to drive from a spirited drivers perspective. The new TL I have this week might actually be faster than my TSX, but it does feel like a drivers car than translates the road to the drive and thus, make driving a pure pleasure everyday.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

i actually liked the electronic steering. I didnt think i would like it at all, but it was very comfortable. you do feel less connected to the road, but for a long drive it was great. very little effort from me to keep it straight on the road.

man the new tl was whisper quiet on the road too. i only had the loaner for 2 days and i got used to the quietness and got back in my 08 tsx. wow there is a major difference.

i am interested in driving the 09 v6 tsx to hear the active sound deadening technology in it. never experienced it yet!!!

definitly not going to trade anytime soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
While my 06 TSX was at the dealership for a repair, I was given an 09 TL as a loaner. It was Awesome! I had a great engine and the interior was super nice and outside had some great new lines and curves. I tried to do the numbers, but I just can't afford one at this time. Maybe in a few years, I can get a used one for a good deal. But again, I loved the new TL.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought my 08 TSX - I originally went to the dealer to look at a new TSX. I drove a new one and it was awesome - the sticker price was about 33K. Then I saw the 08 with a 6 speed and Nav in the color combo i wanted. 13K miles and almost 10K less. I drove it and it felt like a totally different care - felt quicker, more agile and j=simply more fun to drive. i couldn't pass it up.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Instructor

I drove an 09 TL base as a loaner a couple weeks back.

The biggest thing that impressed me was how quiet the interior was. All that power and much quieter than my 08 TSX. Even it's base audio system sounded a lot better as well. Unfortunetly my ipod wouldn't connect, I think I just need to update it's firmware, it is a compatible 5th gen ipod video.

While the power and quiet interior was nice, I was not impressed at all with the seats(although power lumbar was nice). The base model has crappy seats that are not even preforated in the middle sections like my older TSX. They were not very well bolstered in the side either. Some things just felt cheaper too, like the door handles. The white exterior/interner was simply awful too, but I know that's something purely visual. More play in the streering wheel too cause of the new system.

I had it all day and made it my mission to drive it a lot, I put on 200 miles when I returned it LOL. All kinds of driving conditions.

Sure it was a nice car don't get me wrong, but I am not going to be running to trade in my TSX for one. I think I would have been much more impressed with the tech pkg one(I took one of those for a quick test drive during an accelerated service visit), but now you are talking 40k sticker! Almost 10k more than what I paid 16 months ago! It wasn't $10k better.

Next time I am eligible for a loaner I will ask if I can get the TSX. My dealer has 2 or 3 2009 TL's and 2 or 3 2009 TSX's for loaners. I had seen 08 TSX's before, I did not see any of those when I returned mine at 4pm when they closed for the day on Saturday.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Daffunda
The 1st gen TSX demographic with compact body and sharp lines is going extinct. Everything is going to less manual trans and bigger/heavier/fatter....
I've been seeing some new 2009 TLs around town, and frankly, I think the styling takes the 3G TL's neat lines and coherent shape, and takes a on it. The front ... well, that's been discussed. The rear end looks bling-happy and gimmicky. I wouldn't want to see it every day when I walk up to it to drive home. If I wanted something like that, I'd get a new Camry or Avalon.

Just my . Dealers are trying to lure current TSX owners in, other threads have discussed it, but I don't think they're offering any sweet deals either on the trade-in or the new purchase. Your experience might differ. Hope so,... but frankly, that 2008 TSX is a nice car with a lot of go left in it. Why discard it for something bigger and fatter and (guessing here) less fuel conscious?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

i really do like the new styling of the TL its definitely different though.. not for everybody, which is what i like about it. if i wanted a car that everybody liked i would get a camry.

i will be looking into a car in prolly 2 yrs, will be looking more at the G37 and the TL.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfy
i really do like the new styling of the TL its definitely different though.. not for everybody, which is what i like about it. if i wanted a car that everybody liked i would get a camry.

i will be looking into a car in prolly 2 yrs, will be looking more at the G37 and the TL.
The more I see and also get to drive the new TL as a loaner car (I request it when I get my 06 tsx serviced)the more I like it. The dealer does not pressure me to buy one as they know I want manual transmission. I agree with you on the camry.