Drove An '07 Accord V6 6mt . . . Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove An '07 Accord V6 6mt . . . Thoughts

I stopped into the local Honda dealer yesterday to see if they had a Civic Si (my bro is considering one, wanted to see what I thought). They didn't -- apparently, at least in Iowa, you have to order them, they're that hot. But the salesman did have a 4dr Accord V6 w/ 6mt, leather, roof, etc. (no nav). So I took it for a spin.

My impression of the interior is that it's very, very nice. Not the same as the TSX, but not any less comfortable or impressive. I like the radio display better, a little less "Tron" oriented. The instrument cluster is electroluminscent and, again while different, is no more or less snazzy. The leather appears to be about the same grade as my TSX, the seats were comfortable and well-bolstered. They didn't waste any space a-la the "Not An Ashtray" -- opting for one big bin in the center stack instead of the TSX's two smaller ones. That's a judgement call -- some people will like the big bin, some the two smaller spaces. The cockpit wasn't quite as "intimate" feeling as the TSX -- a little larger. For me, that was a small detraction but that also depends on your taste. There was nothing about the Accord's interior that screamed "That's right, I'm a Honda and not an Acura!" Switchgear was typical Honda -- first rate and well-placed.

Exterior styling of the Accord doesn't turn me on, it's here that Acura and Honda appear, to me, to depart the most. I very much prefer the TSX, the more abrupt tail and the generally cleaner lines of the Acura.

The 6mt tranny shifted just as smoothly and slickly as in a TSX -- the shift knob is the same, except instead of that odd champagne color it's silver. A better, albeit minor, choice in my opinion. I found the clutch to be lighter than my TSX, engagement was earlier in its travel.

The engine is very smooth and torquey, although not as powerful-feeling as I expected. I got on it pretty good on more than one occasion, merging onto the interstate, while on the interstate, and from a couple stoplights. Not driving the cars back-to-back (I was in my wife's Tahoe at the time), I don't sense a dramatic difference. Granted, I'm used to a modified TSX (CAI, IMG, pulleys, header, cat) so I can't really compare the '07 AV6 to an '07 TSX in terms of acceleration seat-of-the-pants. My sense is the AV6 pulls harder but not dramatically so. Gas mileage rating is slightly lower than a TSX, but the $.20/gal difference between regular (AV6) and premium (TSX) likely negates this disadvantage.

The Accord seemed to ride a little softer than my TSX, and the handling seemed a little less sharp. Not by a lot, though; it was by no means the wallowing kid-hauler some people want to make it out to be. It has the same tires and very similar suspension to the TSX -- I think the differences are subtle.

The sticker on the Accord was $27,500 or so. About the same as a TSX 6mt, give or take. So, assuming you'll get either one for the about same price, making the choice could be tough. My sense is it'll come down to which exterior styling you like better and whether having a "V6" does more for you than having an "Acura". They're both terrific cars, I was very impressed by the Accord and would have to think through the choice if I were making it today.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm. I've driven my bosses 03 accord coupe v6 6-speed. I thought that the clutch in his was very harsh compared to the tsx. maybe they've changed things since then. but I prefer the easiness of the tsx over v-6 accord clutch (at least his).
Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Racer

The Accord sedan 6mt is supposed to be one second faster than on '06 TSX 6mt; 5.9 sec vs. 6.9 sec. Kind of significant, but as you point out, you have alot of mods.

I debated getting the Accord too, and the two cars are priced accordingly I think to reflect the differences. The Accord has a larger motor, it is bigger a car and quicker, but it is also horribly bourgeois. You see one everywhere.

The TSX is slower, but as you point out, a sportier car, and it is much more exclusive. Lexus IS and BMW 3 owners become competitive when they approach me, and if I were driving an Accord, I don't think I would enjoy the attention of Hyundai Sonata or Camry owners trying to outpace me!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I do agree with the exclusivity of the TSX. I rarely see another car like mine, and there are Accords everywhere. That's more important to some people than to others. I'm fairly certain that, if I were choosing today, I'd still choose the TSX, mainly on the looks and the fact that, to me, Acura is a luxury brand and I like that. I also have a soft spot for a smooth, powerful four cylinder without a turbocharger. V6 engines are too ubiquitous.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

LOL you sure it's a 2007 ?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Argh! My wife and I are right now are trying to decide between those two cars. On paper the Accord looks better to us. The exterior doesn't get the heart pumping, though, like the TSX does. However, when you put interior pictures side by side they're incredibly similar. But just about everyone and their mother has an Accord... I've driven the TSX, but not the Accord yet. We have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow for a test drive, and then we're gonna go drive the TSX again. Hopefully the back to back drives will make the decision easier.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Accords are everywhere. I drive by at least six every morning on my way to work, and that's just leaving my apt. complex. I must admit, I didn't really consider the Accord to hard because of that. I just couldn't bring myself to put another one on the road.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice review Peter. Sounds like a very fair and honest review

...And yeah, the Accord was just way too common for my taste. Everyone and their mom has one
Old 08-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
The sticker on the Accord was $27,500 or so. About the same as a TSX 6mt, give or take. So, assuming you'll get either one for the about same price, making the choice could be tough. My sense is it'll come down to which exterior styling you like better and whether having a "V6" does more for you than having an "Acura". They're both terrific cars, I was very impressed by the Accord and would have to think through the choice if I were making it today.
The Accord's front-end styling is a deal-killer for me. The rear's styling tolerable if you don't mind triangles.

An interesting comparison would also be the 4 cylinder Accord. It's not yet available in 6MT, is it? (A couple years ago, the Accord offered a 5MT. The Accord 4 isn't shabby except that it has the same styling as the Accord 6.)

It's not really material being a whole second faster, is it?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoopa
The Accord sedan 6mt is supposed to be one second faster than on '06 TSX 6mt; 5.9 sec vs. 6.9 sec. Kind of significant, but as you point out, you have alot of mods.
dude, your TSX isn't going 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, unless you're on a fricken downward sloping road.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by TahiTSX
The Accord's front-end styling is a deal-killer for me. The rear's styling tolerable if you don't mind triangles.

An interesting comparison would also be the 4 cylinder Accord. It's not yet available in 6MT, is it? (A couple years ago, the Accord offered a 5MT. The Accord 4 isn't shabby except that it has the same styling as the Accord 6.)

It's not really material being a whole second faster, is it?
I believe the Accord I4 still comes with a 5MT (or an AT, of course). It was an '07, that's what the sticker said; the salesman said it had just come in. I think a lot gets made, especially on a forum such as this, of acceleration specs -- which car does 0-60 in how many seconds, who can smoke whom, etc. To me, that doesn't matter as much as how I enjoy driving and owning a car day-to-day, each time I drive it. I look forward to driving my '04 every morning.

Most of us don't spend our time in the car racing people from stoplight to stoplight.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
nice write up. I looked at the Accord as well, before purchasing the TSX. Definitely glad I went with the TSX.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I drove an 05 Accord V6 over a year ago. The torque steer was terrible. But I'm coming from a rear wheel drive so I'm not used to even a bit of torque steer. Now maybe they have fixed this in 06 V6's. I've also test driven the 05 and 06 TSX AT and of course there was no torque steer.

The 07's are hitting the dealerships now. But this will be the last year for this body style. 07 was also supposed to be the last year for the TSX body style but I've heard that it will be extended through 2008 model year.

The other key difference is that you will be able to get an 07 Accord pretty close to invoice if not at or slightly below, but you will pay much closer to MSRP for the 07 TSX. You may be able to get a good deal on an 06 TSX, but you can beat even invoice right now on the 06 Accord.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

Does the 07 Accord come with Blue-tooth and the magnificent info-screen of TSX?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Racer

The accord 4 cyl is offered in a 5-speed. that was actually my first choice in a new car. but when I talked to the dealership they told me that they were too rare and that it would take 3-4 months to get one if I ordered it. so I test drover a tsx after talking to a manager at my job. and I loved the tsx, but the down side was that it was a 4-door. (I'm a hard core coupe guy). I still wish the tsx was available in a coupe, but I'm happy with it.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by frescagod
dude, your TSX isn't going 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, unless you're on a fricken downward sloping road.

TOV has tested an 06 at under 7 sec to 60.

No doubt in my mind that if the 03-04 Accord Sedan had the 06 back end I'd be in one today.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 AM
8th Gear

i saw an 07 accord the other day. it had the amber turn signals on the mirrors like the tsx. thats all i saw, i was speeding by
Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 AM
PWP Wh0r3

i'm sorry but...i see TSX everywhere in toronto -_-" just like accord, they are everywhere...lol
Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
When I stand in my driveway and look left and right, I see 8 Hondas (2 Civics, 1 pilot, 5 Accords) and just as many Toyota/Fords/GMs. There is only one Acura in a 1/2 radius of my house. This is one of the reasons I wanted something different from the norm.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I believe the Accord I4 still comes with a 5MT (or an AT, of course). It was an '07, that's what the sticker said; the salesman said it had just come in. I think a lot gets made, especially on a forum such as this, of acceleration specs -- which car does 0-60 in how many seconds, who can smoke whom, etc. To me, that doesn't matter as much as how I enjoy driving and owning a car day-to-day, each time I drive it. I look forward to driving my '04 every morning.

Most of us don't spend our time in the car racing people from stoplight to stoplight.
Actually, try to find another Accord V6 6MT... I've only seen one on the road... a friend of mine. Easy way to tell... Red V6 Badge on the trunk. The ATs have the Black V6.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EndCheck
Argh! My wife and I are right now are trying to decide between those two cars. On paper the Accord looks better to us. The exterior doesn't get the heart pumping, though, like the TSX does. However, when you put interior pictures side by side they're incredibly similar. But just about everyone and their mother has an Accord... I've driven the TSX, but not the Accord yet. We have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow for a test drive, and then we're gonna go drive the TSX again. Hopefully the back to back drives will make the decision easier.

I had an 04 TSX and trade it in for an 06 Accord ex-l V-6, 6 speed w/ navi.

The Accord will drive the TSX off the road, and is a lot more powerful, but for some reason I just prefered the TSX.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by billyho96

The Accord will drive the TSX off the road, and is a lot more powerful, but for some reason I just prefered the TSX.
After Comptech I/H/E and RT Cat and Reflash, no it won't. Proved that on my way up to Mid-Ohio a few months back.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

an accord wasnt even on the table for me. my wife has an 05 4 banger.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

The Accord will drive the TSX off the road...
If the road has some good turns in it, then it's the Accord that will end up going off road trying to keep up with the TSX.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IranBT
Does the 07 Accord come with Blue-tooth and the magnificent info-screen of TSX?
Nope! The Accord does have the Maintenance Minder as the TSX, but not the cool screen.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

After driving my mom's 06 V6 for a week, I couldn't wait to get back into the TSX. The extra power isn't everything. The Accords are a great family sedan, but they are softer and not as fun to drive as the TSX. Both are great cars, it just depends on your needs/wants.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
nice write up....
Oh yeah...liked the original write-up too!

I think the Accord 6mt would be a nice sleeper, but when you're spending so much money, a TSX is just a much nicer car and a bargain since the two are comparably priced. Most interesting is that it is just the right size. Smaller and sportier than the Accord, yet having more space in back than its competitors from Audi and Lexus.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:12 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by moda_way
After Comptech I/H/E and RT Cat and Reflash, no it won't. Proved that on my way up to Mid-Ohio a few months back.
Not to mention the oil catch can. . .

I think people have the impression that an Accord will disappear into the horizon if challenged by a TSX. I didn't get that at all from driving the Accord; we're not talking about a 911 GT2 that will scream off into the distance before you can even downshift.

You can buy a TSX and mod it to give you similar acceleration performance to the AV6 while retaining the things that I prefer about the TSX (styling, luxury name, less-ubiquitous, etc.). If you don't place as much value on those and/or aren't "mod" inclined, the AV6 is a hell of a nice car.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gftgrill
The accord 4 cyl is offered in a 5-speed. that was actually my first choice in a new car. but when I talked to the dealership they told me that they were too rare and that it would take 3-4 months to get one if I ordered it. so I test drover a tsx after talking to a manager at my job. and I loved the tsx, but the down side was that it was a 4-door. (I'm a hard core coupe guy). I still wish the tsx was available in a coupe, but I'm happy with it.
Ah, I know what you mean. I've always had 2-door cars--4 of them--until I bought my TSX. I don't regret getting a 4-door. It's easier for family members, such as my aging parents and other guests to get into the back seat. That said, if the TSX had been available in 2-door, I would have gravigated to that model.

I waited 5-6 months for my former 5MT 2-door Accord EX to arrive. It was worth the wait. I got more complements on that car than my TSX.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Zoopa
Oh yeah...liked the original write-up too!

I think the Accord 6mt would be a nice sleeper, but when you're spending so much money, a TSX is just a much nicer car and a bargain since the two are comparably priced. . .
I don't know that I agree the TSX is much nicer. The interior of the Honda was, to me, just as nice as the TSX -- different but no less comfy or well-appointed or laid-out. The Accord lacks some of the creature comforts and luxury cues (MID, Bluetooth, HID headlamps to name those that come to mind) but makes up for it by giving you moderately stronger acceleration out of the crate, without mods, and a slightly more softly-sprung ride which, to some people, is better. The exterior is really a matter of taste; I don't feel either one is necessarily better than the other. Not the way I'd say that, for instance, the TSX is light years better looking than a Pontiac Aztek, even if the TSX had been dropped off a cliff.

The two cars are close enough, a choice will come down, I suspect, to which one speaks to you most loudly. Drive 'em both if you're considering either one, that's my advice.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I drove an 05 Accord V6 over a year ago. The torque steer was terrible. But I'm coming from a rear wheel drive so I'm not used to even a bit of torque steer.

...if you think the AV6 has serious torque steer, try any of the VQ35DE powered FWD Nissans (Altima, Maxima, I35). The AV6's TS is non-existent by comparison.

On topic, both the Accord V6s and TSX are equally common sights here in central NJ where neither have any rights to exclusivity claims. However, those red badged V6 Accords are VERY rare in these parts. That said, both cars serve two different demographics.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Well we drove the Accord V6 6sp MT this afternoon and then went down the street and drove the TSX again.

Da winna?...TSX.

Red/Ebony interior/6sp MT/Navi. Production date was 8/21 so it should be here sometime around late September/early October.

It's the wife's car, btw. I've got the 2001 Odyssey..with the K&N filter...
Old 08-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Racer

Well we drove the Accord V6 6sp MT this afternoon and then went down the street and drove the TSX again.

Da winna?...TSX.

Red/Ebony interior/6sp MT/Navi. Production date was 8/21 so it should be here sometime around late September/early October.

nice choice. it will be well worth wait trust me. I got the same car without navi and I waited about 3-4 weeks.

congratulations.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TahiTSX
Ah, I know what you mean. I've always had 2-door cars--4 of them--until I bought my TSX. I don't regret getting a 4-door. It's easier for family members, such as my aging parents and other guests to get into the back seat. That said, if the TSX had been available in 2-door, I would have gravigated to that model.

I waited 5-6 months for my former 5MT 2-door Accord EX to arrive. It was worth the wait. I got more complements on that car than my TSX.
I love the way the white accord coupes look. I really like the LED tails. but the main thing that drove me nuts about the accord. you don't get to choose interior color. I would have waited for a white accord coupe with black leather interior. I just really don't like that tan.

the exterior color determines your interior color on 98% of honda's. that's complete crap IMO. but hey if you're honda and people buy your cars anyway. then I guess I can't say anything.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:17 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Da winna?...TSX.

Terrific choice, congratulations, hope this thread was of some help. What was it that swayed your (collective) decision?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Even though the interiors of both cars LOOKED similar in the literature, the Accord had some things we both didn't like. The flip up covers for the center console storage bins looked like crap. Also, my wife's first comment when getting in the Accord was, "Is this REAL leather, cuz it smells like plastic. Maybe it's pleather (plastic-leather like cheap gym shoes)." She agreed with me that she liked the overall look of the TSX's exterior a lot more, and that the Acura just "felt sportier" when driving it.

Now, I normally show a great deal of respect for new cars, taking it easy on them and whatnot. But I've never actually drive a car that had 244hp. Who new Accords could chirp it in second gear? Boy how I'd like to get this thing on the autocross course with a good set of BFGs.

Overall though, it was her decision, and I think she made the right one. Of course everyone posting here influenced us to a certain degree. For the money it has everything she was looking for: comfort, luxury (leather that smells like leather), convenience (telling the Navi "temperature 74 degrees" and the handsfree cell phone), safety (VSA, ABS, etc.), and power (it's 2 seconds faster to 60 than her old 94 Accord 5sp with RS Akimoto filter).

One more thing that brought the TSX to the top of the list was it's small production volume. I heard only 25,000 are built compared to 400,000 Accords. And since we've been looking at cars (5 months or so) I've never seen a red one in Cincinnati. Hell, I think I've only seen a half dozen TSXs on the road in that amount of time. TLs are a different story.

One last thing...the passenger side window on the demo squeaked when we rolled it up. LOL
Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Its the extra 1yr warranty with Acura :p
Old 08-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ntwin98
i saw an 07 accord the other day. it had the amber turn signals on the mirrors like the tsx. thats all i saw, i was speeding by
I don't know about 07, but for 06, Hybrid Accords (and only the hybrid version) got the signal mirrors.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by moda_way
Actually, try to find another Accord V6 6MT... I've only seen one on the road... a friend of mine. Easy way to tell... Red V6 Badge on the trunk. The ATs have the Black V6.
That's a really interesting factoid that I didn't know.

I bet there are like 40 Accords w/ black V6 badges out on the streets of America for every one red badge.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
I don't know about 07, but for 06, Hybrid Accords (and only the hybrid version) got the signal mirrors.
The non-hybrid 07's don't have the turn signals in the side mirrors.

Quick Reply: Drove An '07 Accord V6 6mt . . . Thoughts