Driver position

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver position

I've had my TSX for two weeks, and while I love the way it handles, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a comfortable driving position. My impression from reading through this forum in that I'm in the minority--and I know the seat adjusts in a variety of ways--but my right hip and leg ache after about 45 minutes of driving no matter how I position the seat.

I'm a woman and I'm tall (5' 11") and I just don't feel like I have enough room to move my leg to the right. My last car was a Maxima, so I had a lot of room and I never gave the seat a second thought. Has anyone else had trouble adjusting? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the front of the seat bottom all the way up and the rear of the seat bottom all the way down. The back rest is between these two positions: _| _/
I'm 6 feet tall and this sitting position is the most comfortable to me from all the ones I have tried.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Hi Nina. I'm 6 foot tall and I just adjust the seat until I'm comfortable. I have low back problems and sometimes I get uncomfortable as well. I have to have the seat leaning back some. Don't know if that helps, but welcome to AZ! Congrats on your new purchase
Old 07-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
I have the front of the seat bottom all the way up and the rear of the seat bottom all the way down. The back rest is between these two positions: _| _/
I'm 6 feet tall and this sitting position is the most comfortable to me from all the ones I have tried.
Hope this helps.
I'm 6 ft tall to and use the same settings.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 5'10" and it took me a long time to find a position that I was comfortable in. I just kept tweaking the settings until I got it right (minor adjustments over the course of several days).
Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 5'11" and I did a simple adjustment that a few others mentioned. I lifted up the front of the lower seat cushion just a tad while keeping the rear all the way down. I also keep my seatback at a mild tilt back (though not in a ghetto manner). See if this works for you.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Instructor

I'm 6'2" and I find the TSX driver's seat to be very comfortable. I have the seat lowered as far as it will go with the front slightly raised. The seat back slightly back, and the lower-back support pushed forward a bit.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to AZ, Nina!

I've found the same situation to be true with me. In fact, I also had back pain which I resolved by getting a small leather cushion fabricated to boost te height of the center armrest.

As for the right hip and knee, I had to deal with some pain too at the beginning. It went away pretty quickly though.

It was then I realized that as much as we break the car in, the car also breaks us in in that sometimes our tendons and ligaments needs to adjust to a slightly different driving position. Don't get me wrong though: The position is perfectly fine. I've been able to travel on very long drives (15hrs+) repetitiously without feeling any discomfort anytime since. But sometimes for the first few weeks some getting used to will be required.

Maybe try and learn a new and better seating position for your back while you're at it if you have a tendency to seat incorrectly. This will help you feel a lot more comfortable and prevent you from becoming restles during long drives which you seem to do regularly.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 AM
2nd Gear

Many thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I adjusted the seat so the front is high and the rear is low and that seems okay. I think Sauceman is right that it takes time for the body to adjust to a new car, so I'm going to leave it alone for a while and see how it feels. In my old car I sat very upright, and had lots of room to spread out, and that doesn't seem to work well in this car. I also got a small, flat piece of foam to put at the back of the seat to lift me out of the bucket just a little bit. I'm not heavy, but still the top of my right hip was getting jammed against high side of the seat.

Anyway, I do appreciate the help. I was really beginning to worry and I love driving the car.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Nina - I've also had trouble finding a comfortable seating position. One thing that really helps me on my 35 mile commute (each way) is keeping my left foot planted on the footrest (I drive the AT). I find that this keeps me stable in the seat, when breaking and turning and over long distances it really makes a difference.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first bought my car, I felt that it was flat and uncomfortable and that there was inadequate room for my long legs in the footwell. But after adjusting it so that the front is higher than the back of the seat and lowering the back slightly (but not too much, and having the lumbar out slightly, my weight was more on the seat instead of on my legs. I have now easily adjusted to this seating position. and can drive for over 3 hours without fatigue. With my old car, I would get tired every 1.5 hours and had to stop. I'm 6' 2".
Old 07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Got Phó?

just play with it, you'll get the one position you want.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Racer

Im only 5'-7" but found a comfortable position in a couple of days after owning the car. Maybe 200-300 miles into it.

On another note I do find it difficult to get out of the car. I dont know if its the side bolsters on the seat that are higher, or if Im just used to a lower sports car? Or if Im just short. Its not as bad as getting out of my NSX, but its not as easy as my other cars. Wierd.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:02 AM
05 Carbon Grey

I'm a surburban gangbanger My seat is reclined 30 degrees and I can literally hang out the back window.

j/k I'm 5'9 and get uncomfortable too. I had a prelude before where i has to step down to get into the car. Now I have to step up. The seat in the all down still feels high for me. Alslo noticed that the front part does not down as far as the back.

If you are on long trips, I don't think there is anything you can do but to get out every now and then to get circulation to your lower extremeties. Maybe a HomeMedics massage pad will work. Im just scared that I will fall asleep behind the wheel.

Hope you find your perfect adjustment. And when you do...don't let anyone drive your car! Really wish we had memory seats
Old 07-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 747 Likes on 449 Posts
If you drive the AT, make sure you're not sitting crooked. I realized that I was doing that because of the asymmetic positioning of the pedals. I would slouch to once side, I'm trying to get used to sitting straight now. I image people with MT don't have this problem.