Don't you LOVE it when you find a big SUV parking 1" away from your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:26 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you LOVE it when you find a big SUV parking 1" away from your TSX?

To my surprise, I still have only one door ding on my TSX after a quick scare. The sheet metal is probaly 2 gauges thicker on the body compared to my flimsy Integra where someone could breathe on it and give it a dent.

Due to the yearly pattern of many gym goers with a New Year's resolution, parking was scarce at my 24 hour fitnesss last night. I usually avoid parking in "COMPACT ONLY" spots, but I had no choice and decided to bite the bullet. To my dissapointment, I came back to see a huge, Toyota Sequoia parking only a few inches away from my passenger side.

Needless to say, I was furious. I pet peeve of mine happens to be huge trucks / SUV's who think that their monster can fit in a compact space. Some of them not only engulf parking on the sides outside of their space, but in the front as well. I came back to my Integra one time and found a truck literally touching my bumper as it sat 3 feet into my space.

Since the parking lot was too dark, I waited to get home to check for a ding. There was no way the female owner (the seat was very close to the steering wheel) could have opened her door without touching my TSX. To my surprise, I found only some paint exchange from her door that could be buffed out along with clean marks from her rubbing across the passenger door.

Kudos the thickness of our doors / body....
Old 01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a woman at work who drives a TL (huge ash trash in the car too) who consistently parks her drivers door RIGHT NEXT to the car on her left. I'm continually amazed that when she gets out everyday that she doesn't realize how close she is... I mean, the normal person would think, "Hey, I can barely get out, I need to park further away next time." But no, she is always as far left as she can be.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

This is a real sore spot for me. I purposely park away from everyone else. Some think this is anal or extreme, but I do it any way.

Any way, it never fails that even when I park way from other cars, when I come out again, there's always an SUV parked next to me. lol luckily, soo far no scratches.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I've made it a point to try to park in spots that are either exceptionally wide or have one side that is at the end of a row so that I can park as far away from the next space over.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I've made it a point to try to park in spots that are either exceptionally wide or have one side that is at the end of a row so that I can park as far away from the next space over.
I make it a point to do that, too. People like my wife make fun of me and say, "It's not like it's a Ferrari or something! It's only a TSX!"
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I do this too, but the woman I mentioned above, STILL parks right up against my car (and others too).... very annoying.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moda_way
I do this too, but the woman I mentioned above, STILL parks right up against my car (and others too).... very annoying.
Yeah...i know...it sucks. With those, I make sure to inspect the car for damage before I leave.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:22 AM
VSA Rocks

Yeah...i know...it sucks. With those, I make sure to inspect the car for damage before I leave.
Here's a question I've always had: I tend to check for dings when I'm suspicious. I've always wondered what the hell can I do legally IF I actually find a new ding?

My friends who mock me looking for a ding ask me, "What the hell are you going to do when you find one anyway? Sue them?"

Can we actually file a claim on a $50-$100 ding?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Here's a question I've always had: I tend to check for dings when I'm suspicious. I've always wondered what the hell can I do legally IF I actually find a new ding?

My friends who mock me looking for a ding ask me, "What the hell are you going to do when you find one anyway? Sue them?"

Can we actually file a claim on a $50-$100 ding?
If you get a license plate number and actually see it happen and they drive off, you can call it in as a hit and run. Otherwise, you really can't do much. I do it mainly to catalog it in my mind so i can determine when the next one appears.

If the damage is severe enough, and I can immediately identify that the car next to me is the one that caused it, then I will wait there to speak to the driver of the car and get their insurance info.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Last weekend I was out with my wife, celebrating my new job (yay!). Parked at a fairly busy lot, but managed to find a spot at the very end, away from the majority of the vehicles. I left gobs of space on the passenger side (drivers' side was against a curb so it was safe).

we come out from dinner to find a busted-ass pickup truck BACKED IN next to my passenger side. Literally, 8" of room.

Big busted-ass pickup + 8" of room for his door = recipe for a ding.

My car was dirty from the snow/rain we've been getting, so my quick glance didn't notice any dings. Two days later I get a carwash and the first thing I see from 30' away was a large ding, paint transfer, and a scuff about 6" below it. It's smack in the middle of my passenger door, above the crease line, below the window trim. Definately ugly. Hopefully some elbow grease gets the paint transfer off this spring, but the dent will have to be tapped out from the inside or taken care of by a professional.

BOOOOO... talk about putting a damper on my celebration.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I make it a point to do that, too. People like my wife make fun of me and say, "It's not like it's a Ferrari or something! It's only a TSX!"
That's what my wife said, until I told her I was only fulfilling her new year's resolution to get more exersize. She hasn't given me a hard time since
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get a license plate number and actually see it happen and they drive off, you can call it in as a hit and run. Otherwise, you really can't do much. I do it mainly to catalog it in my mind so i can determine when the next one appears.

If the damage is severe enough, and I can immediately identify that the car next to me is the one that caused it, then I will wait there to speak to the driver of the car and get their insurance info.
This is yet another reason why camera phones are a God-send. In my condo parking lot, our a-hole neighbor often parks on the line. I'll take pictures and then check for damage the next day. If there is a mark, and the paint matches - he's toast!

Yes, I've already asked him nicely.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm a llama :(

At least the short man cared enough to see if there was any damage.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know exactly what you mean 6Speed. I usually try to either park far, or look for a nice wide spot with smaller cars around me.

I hate coming back and seeing a big SUV or truck next to me. I also don't like to see a mustang or camaro. Basically anything with big doors that can swing out and ding my car up.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I think you should consider a divorce.

Nice. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Yui
Pro

I like the parking spots at the end of the rows in our parking garage that say compact only. I'll park as close to the outside line as I can get, as I doubt anyone will hit me while moving in the parking garage. If I get in early enough I can snag it. There's a G35c who parks on the 3rd floor up who parks parallel to the wall in his spot even though the space is at a diagonal. Smart guy.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Had a good day today with this....car to my right backed in and the left parked normal, so no drivers side doors opening to my car. A couple of weeks back though, at Staples of all places, I had a big crew-cab Ford 350 gimme less than a foot of space to open my door. I had to enter through the passenger side.

Overall though, Im really anal about this... I try not to park next to trucks, vans, coupes, old beater cars. If all else fails, I try to position my car so that the mirror pods get hit first.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
ABP TSX

It never fails. I do what most ppl have suggested ... park in large spaces, park at the end of a row, park in BFE, etc etc

It never fails though. You come out and find something like this, just insert your TSX.

So my wife no longer asks, we just take her car (CR-V) everywhere. However, she asked me the other day, "What are we going to do when I get my RDX" and I replied "guess we will have to walk."

Old 01-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by gsclifton
So my wife no longer asks, we just take her car (CR-V) everywhere. However, she asked me the other day, "What are we going to do when I get my RDX" and I replied "guess we will have to walk."

Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Even why I drive my Civic around I park away from everyone. People are just such inconsiderate a-holes about it. One time I did have to park in a crowded restaurant spot and sure enough I came back to chipped paint on my doorhandle... :angryfire
Old 01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
A couple of weeks back though, at Staples of all places, I had a big crew-cab Ford 350 gimme less than a foot of space to open my door. I had to enter through the passenger side.
How much more if you had the baby with you? Whenever I'm with mine and have to put him in the carseat, I have no choice but to ding the car who parked too close.

Daycare is another high-risk area to the precious TSX. What mom doesn't pickup her child in a Yukon / Sequoia / whatever these days?

That's why the wife picks up the kid these days...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM

That's why we need cameras monitoring the outside of the car at all times. And also a wide angle view to get their plate #.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:28 PM

I can't believe that excuse worked!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
no0bIe

I've gone two years strong w/ no door dings....
Old 01-26-2006, 04:21 PM
HOWARD911S

nothing more scary than bunch of black and white park next to my car....
Old 01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Instructor

if they do touch ur car,, and u dont feel like waiting for the owner...pour some diesel fuel into the gas tank as well as some sand. thats what i do...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I hate that too. I always try to park in the middle of nowhere. One time I went to Home Depot and parked literally at least 20 spots from the last car in the aisle, where no one was around (to avoid both vehicles and reckless people with carts), low and behold I come out and there's a ginormous SUV parked right next to me. Obviously, they did it on purpose, which pissed me off even more. The blood pressure surely went up and it took all my might not to key the damn thing. Man I was pissed. I hate people like that. Stupid f*&%ers!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
How much more if you had the baby with you? Whenever I'm with mine and have to put him in the carseat, I have no choice but to ding the car who parked too close.

Daycare is another high-risk area to the precious TSX. What mom doesn't pickup her child in a Yukon / Sequoia / whatever these days?

My kid's daycare is in a minivan rich environment, thank goodness. I find that if I go more inland, toward the cow smell (chino hills, etc) I have to watch out for SUVs.

Of course, you might agree that the biggest danger is in our own garages (wife's SUV)! I don't park inside until I know Im the last one in.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Maybe it is to us
Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

To my surprise, I still have only one door ding on my TSX after a quick scare. The sheet metal is probaly 2 gauges thicker on the body compared to my flimsy Integra where someone could breathe on it and give it a dent.

Due to the yearly pattern of many gym goers with a New Year's resolution, parking was scarce at my 24 hour fitnesss last night. I usually avoid parking in "COMPACT ONLY" spots, but I had no choice and decided to bite the bullet. To my dissapointment, I came back to see a huge, Toyota Sequoia parking only a few inches away from my passenger side.

Needless to say, I was furious. I pet peeve of mine happens to be huge trucks / SUV's who think that their monster can fit in a compact space. Some of them not only engulf parking on the sides outside of their space, but in the front as well. I came back to my Integra one time and found a truck literally touching my bumper as it sat 3 feet into my space.

Since the parking lot was too dark, I waited to get home to check for a ding. There was no way the female owner (the seat was very close to the steering wheel) could have opened her door without touching my TSX. To my surprise, I found only some paint exchange from her door that could be buffed out along with clean marks from her rubbing across the passenger door.

HEY im a new guy and i half to say i might have something to top that ... last fri a bit of a snowstorm hit chicago and i was driving every so carefully home from work... i was behind this dumbass van that didnt understand how to drive in winter so i changed lanes as i was going up a hill... little to my knowledge there was a 99 civic on the other side that got stuck in the lane i entered.. as i went over the hill i saw her and began to slow down. abs went on, my car still slid and i managed to slide all the way down the f***ing hill and hit her with my tire only -dont ask me how i have no clue-.. so now my allignement if f***ed up and tahts it.. next day my car got towed to some piece of crap place and now not only is my allignment F***ed up but i have scratches all along the side of my body.. and according to the manager they towed it on to a flatbed whch means they drove the fucker up a ramp on to a truck with my tire in the completely opposite direction of the other one.. now im gonna be stuck with fixing the body because the insurance people think that the scratches couldnt have been caused by the accident.... thanks for letting me vent ..........CANT WAIT TILL I GET MY TSX BACK..
Old 01-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have immediately went inside the gym and found the owner, without even checking for a ding. i'm a a$$ like that though sometimes when it comes to my car

one lady parked next to me in shopright parking lot....she caught me inspecting the door after i loaded the groceries in the trunk.

all she said was "i didn't hit it did i?"

so i just said.....i don't think so, and got in the car.

people insist on jamming in parking spaces, and have no consideration for the neighboring cars.

i used to use the rule that you should park next to nicer cars, but i find that that's even worse in most cases!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motohip
That's why we need cameras monitoring the outside of the car at all times. And also a wide angle view to get their plate #.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Still Lovin my 06

but you couldn't necessarily prove it was them unless you saw it happen. or did a sample on the paint they left behind!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Save...print...leave on offending car's windshield.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jtraha
HEY im a new guy and i half to say i might have something to top that ... last fri a bit of a snowstorm hit chicago and i was driving every so carefully home from work... i was behind this dumbass van that didnt understand how to drive in winter so i changed lanes as i was going up a hill... little to my knowledge there was a 99 civic on the other side that got stuck in the lane i entered.. as i went over the hill i saw her and began to slow down. abs went on, my car still slid and i managed to slide all the way down the f***ing hill and hit her with my tire only -dont ask me how i have no clue-.. so now my allignement if f***ed up and tahts it.. next day my car got towed to some piece of crap place and now not only is my allignment F***ed up but i have scratches all along the side of my body.. and according to the manager they towed it on to a flatbed whch means they drove the fucker up a ramp on to a truck with my tire in the completely opposite direction of the other one.. now im gonna be stuck with fixing the body because the insurance people think that the scratches couldnt have been caused by the accident.... thanks for letting me vent ..........CANT WAIT TILL I GET MY TSX BACK..

hmmmm......no offense....but an 18 year old is complaining someone not knowing how to drive in the snow......gets into the passing lane instead of driving patiently, and ends up hitting someone.....

anyone else see the irony in this?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Yep..I printed out about 20 of those and leave it in my car, my wife thinks I'm an idiot and all the guys on Acurazine that came up with it..Mine looks like this..Notice how it gives props to Acurazine
Old 01-26-2006, 06:41 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pssssh!

TSX = Its a Luxury Sports Sedan, thats been a Car & Drivers 10 Best winner 3 years in a row~~

Psssh!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Would there be any dings from car doors if every car had Lamborghini Style Doors?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:18 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

Originally Posted by jtraha
.. and according to the manager they towed it on to a flatbed whch means they drove the fucker up a ramp on to a truck with my tire in the completely opposite direction of the other one..
A flatbed usualy has a winch to pull the car up the inclined bed.
I would be surprised if the truck drive actually tried to drive the car onto the bed.

I do sympathize with hazardous winter driving though. I left my snow tires behind to move to California.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by yukit
A flatbed usualy has a winch to pull the car up the inclined bed.
I would be surprised if the truck drive actually tried to drive the car onto the bed.

I do sympathize with hazardous winter driving though. I left my snow tires behind to move to California.

nope my dad was there and sai the asshole driver drove it up the ramp... yeah i got pissed at him for letting the tow guy do that but whatever...

Quick Reply: Don't you LOVE it when you find a big SUV parking 1" away from your TSX?