DIY parts for 30k miles service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006 | 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

DIY parts for 30k miles service?

Well, not exactly DIY, but I was thinking of getting all the necessary fluids and taking it to a local shop instead of paying the dealer $500 for expensive fluid changes.

So I'm thinking of:
Tranny fluid change
Coolant flush
brake flud flush
oil/filter change
pollen filter change
(am I missing any other vital things?)

Question is, what kind of tranny and brake fluid should I be using? Any advantage of using synthetic? recommendations? where to get them?
Old 03-29-2006 | 05:48 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

If you have a 6mt, I can recommend Amsoil's synchromesh tranny oil, I put it in and my 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are smoother without any downside that I can discern. I also use Amsoil 0w-30 engine oil and their one-year filter. The tranny fluid, coolant, oil, pollen filter, and (you didn't mention) engine air filter are all easy to do yourself if you have a jack and stands and basic hand tools. For the brake fluid flush, I think, you need a shop. My local shop charges $90 for a brake fluid flush. You might also get some lithium grease and lube your door hinges, locks, hood and truck latches, etc. Also, maybe tire rotation? And, of course, there's always the topping off of the wiper fluid -- the dealers seem to make this a "point" on their 800-point inspections.
Old 03-29-2006 | 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
-- the dealers seem to make this a "point" on their 800-point inspections.
I'd be lucky if my dealer did 10% of that inspection.
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Rotate those tires they put on the car too.
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone volunteer to do a writeup for this?

I forgot to mention I have a 5AT So what fluid should I be using?

For the pollen filter, is it only sold at the dealer? wonder if the Accord use the same one, might be cheaper....
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:20 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I only flushed the brakes once my old 95 Civic and they were working fine when I sold the car with 132k miles on it. So I'd just bleed them. Do you really need a tranny and coolant change that early/often (just 30k)?
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STL
I only flushed the brakes once my old 95 Civic and they were working fine when I sold the car with 132k miles on it. So I'd just bleed them. Do you really need a tranny and coolant change that early/often (just 30k)?

Just trying to follow the schedule, but the tranny fluid does look a little dirty (so is the brake fluid)... and I think it's good to do the coolant flush to prevent corrosion in the radiator...
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Are you sure the 30k service includes all those flushes? I had the 30k service done awhile back, and it did not include all those flushes. I have a few more hundred miles before I hit 50k, and I will doing a brake, tranny, and coolant flush.
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think they're following the 'severe' schedule since I live in NYC area.... I've called about 2 dealers in NY and 3 dealers in NJ, all of them said pretty consistant things (except for price which ranged from $480-$550)

Basically they change and top off all the fluids, replace air and pollen filter, lube hinges, 'check' and 'visually inspect' a bunch of things, replace wiper inserts, and I think that's mostly it...
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by supraken
For the pollen filter, is it only sold at the dealer? wonder if the Accord use the same one, might be cheaper....
Yes, the Accord one fits. There is a thread on this somewhere around here....
Old 03-29-2006 | 06:53 PM

Flush transmission and brakes. I'd flush the cooling system every 3-5 years regardless of miles.

For the transmission, use Genuine Honda ATF-Z1 only, unless you wish to spring the dough for Amsoil ATF or other boutique unlicensed ATF-Z1 equivalents.
Old 03-29-2006 | 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so so far:

Air/pollen filter: both at Honda stealership
A/T tranny fluid: use Genuine Honda ATF-Z1 (where should I get this from?)
Brake fluid: ??

I think we should have a section of all the DIY write-ups, or information like this.... there are a lot of useful info on this forum that are scattered...
Old 03-29-2006 | 09:14 PM

Brake Fluid: Grab 2 qts of Prestone Synthetic DOT 3 from Walmart for under $10. Run a pint through each of the bleeders for a really good flush.

A/T: Buy it from a Honda stealership. Or E-Bay. Also, here are some instructions on how-to perform a DIY transmission flush: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...37&postcount=9

Air/pollen: Buy a Purolator one from Pep Boys or Advanced Auto. FRAM is also acceptable if the price is reasonable.
Old 03-29-2006 | 10:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlukja
Yes, the Accord one fits. There is a thread on this somewhere around here....

I e-mailed handaaccessories on this one time and they said it fits and is the same. They just haven't had a chance to update their website.
Old 03-29-2006 | 10:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
If you have a 6mt, I can recommend Amsoil's synchromesh tranny oil, I put it in and my 1-2 and 5-6 shifts are smoother without any downside that I can discern. I also use Amsoil 0w-30 engine oil and their one-year filter. The tranny fluid, coolant, oil, pollen filter, and (you didn't mention) engine air filter are all easy to do yourself if you have a jack and stands and basic hand tools. For the brake fluid flush, I think, you need a shop. My local shop charges $90 for a brake fluid flush. You might also get some lithium grease and lube your door hinges, locks, hood and truck latches, etc. Also, maybe tire rotation? And, of course, there's always the topping off of the wiper fluid -- the dealers seem to make this a "point" on their 800-point inspections.
I too can attest to superior amsoil quality. When i had my 4runner i changed differential fluid, ATF, and oil to amsoil, then the air filter as wel. My 4runner averaged at least 2MPG+ than what it was getting before. Plus the clutch felt like it grabbed better and it didn't seem to heat up and get slushy as quickly either. The engine was also quieter and smoother. One thing i didn't like though was leaving it into there the whole year. The oil still had the elements to protect the engine. however, the oil seemed to get pretty thick as it was in the engine.

You can read about their side by side actual test here:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

These guys have actually tried both Amsoil and Mobil1 side by side and did an oil analysis every 3000 miles. So basically my suspicions were true with the amsoil oil. Although... Honda engines are easier on oil than toyota engines... so it may not be 100% true with honda engines. But it still got thicker as it sat longer.

I would feel safe doing an extended interval on the oil, just not all the way for the whole year. Maybe 6 months would be incredibly safe.

Also... Amsoil is supposed to be changing the formula sometime soon. It should even be better than the original and it supposed to take care of the thickening problem long term. So... we'll have to see.
Old 03-29-2006 | 10:48 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

i'm going to do all this on my 30k service at my friend's shop. gonna use all honda fluids from the honda stealership.
Old 03-30-2006 | 01:16 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by supraken
Ok, so so far:

Air/pollen filter: both at Honda stealership
A/T tranny fluid: use Genuine Honda ATF-Z1 (where should I get this from?)
Brake fluid: ??

I think we should have a section of all the DIY write-ups, or information like this.... there are a lot of useful info on this forum that are scattered...
Since you have an AT, I'd recommend a flush (from a shop) as opposed to a drain. So, here's my advice:

SELF:
Air filter
Pollen filter
Oil + filter change
Coolant flush
Rotate tires & adjust pressures
Lube hinges, locks, etc.

SHOP:
Tranny flush (you provide the fluid)
Brake system flush (you provide the fluid)

You will be doing some of these earlier than the book recommends, so it's up to you if you want to accelerate some of the maintenance. My is more frequent maintenance is a good bargain if you expect to keep your car to 100k or more.
Old 04-02-2006 | 08:52 PM
Instructor

I just did my tranny fluid today.. my gawd it is not an easy task..

my av6 was sooo easy, i can see the plug right at the tire..

I had to remove, pretty much, that whole air damper cover on the bottom.. from driver side down...

did a drain and fill.. the drail fluid looked pretty brown.. I'm only at 25k.