Discoloration on White Pearl?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003 | 12:26 AM
Intermediate

Discoloration on White Pearl?

Hi, I just put a deposit down for a white pearl/auto/navi today and ever since I got back from the dealership, I've been having second thoughts about my color choice. I've heard that plastic parts on white cars tend to yellow over time. In fact, I saw a white CL on the lot that had a yellowing bumper. I probably would not have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it, but the color was a bit off. I don't think the car was even that old because it had a painted grille like the 2004 CL's. Do you think this will happen to our TSX'es, too? For those of you who have white pearl TSX'es, have you noticed any discoloration of the plastic parts of your car? How long have you had your car? Thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2003 | 12:37 AM
Racer

no much. I think there is a thread about how the bumper's paint is not perfectly matching the body. I noticed it too, but it's not too bad at all. As long as u wax the car regularly, I don't think it's too much a concern.
Old 10-08-2003 | 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

well let me tell you what i think about the white fading on cars.....when my sister went to get her montero she looked at a white one but then at the service shop was a white one and then the tire cover was all yellowish......thats the only thing that stopped us but maybe hondas paint is different but the white looked awful
Old 10-08-2003 | 02:15 AM
Instructor

it depends on what kind of white..
rumors has it that the pearl white we are using is metalic base..
so it's harder to becoming yellowish..

but i guess time will tell @_@;;
Old 10-08-2003 | 03:21 PM
n00b

my 5-year-old 98 Prelude in White Diamond Pearl (pic taken last summer),

my 4-year-old (RIP) 99 Integra in Taffeta White (pic taken last summer),

The paint on my Prelude still looks like new, and the paint on my Integra still looked like new at the day of the accident. IMO, if you really take care of your car (detailed maybe twice a year, and wax maybe once a month), the white will look good forever.
Old 10-08-2003 | 04:07 PM
Racer

Originally posted by vwong
The paint on my Prelude still looks like new, and the paint on my Integra still looked like new at the day of the accident. IMO, if you really take care of your car (detailed maybe twice a year, and wax maybe once a month), the white will look good forever. [/B]
Agree and nice ride.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:27 AM
Intermediate

I was at the dealer last week and they had a white TSX as a courtesy car. I noticed the rear bumper was a slightly different color than the rest of the car. You wouldn't notice it at a casual glance, but it's enough of a difference to keep me away from a white one.
Old 10-09-2003 | 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's input. I too saw a white TSX loaner on the lot, but it was immaculate as far as I could tell. I'm primarily concerned with the color as the car ages, since I'm planning to keep this car until it explodes. But it seems like as long as the bumper matches when I take delivery, and as long as I keep my car waxed, I shouldn't have any problems...right?

I'm also considering a clearbra/xpel/stongard for the car. I've read some old threads about clearbras and most of them are positive. But many of the installers' sites say there will be a slight discoloration on white cars specifically because the film is only 99.5% optically clear. Any thoughts on that? Pictures? Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:16 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by yrbzephyr
But it seems like as long as the bumper matches when I take delivery, and as long as I keep my car waxed, I shouldn't have any problems...right
I've also heard that the white pearl is a 3-part paint process, so it defeats one of the big reasons to buy a white car, that white paint is easy to match.

The other reasons, that a white car is cooler and more visible because it reflects more light, should remain valid.

I plan to purchase the Stongard/"clear bra" since the front of my old car looks like it's been used for shotgun practice thanks to the deplorable state of my state's highways. If the film is not transparent, and that's annoying, I can always have it removed.

I have a sinking feeling that this paint will be much like that clear-coat light silver used on German cars in the 1980s which definitely failed the test of time.

Too bad Honda didn't decide to use the same vanilla white that they use to paint the MDX and Accord.
Old 10-09-2003 | 07:06 PM
n00b

Originally posted by bob shiftright
I've also heard that the white pearl is a 3-part paint process, so it defeats one of the big reasons to buy a white car, that white paint is easy to match.
Are you buying a new car expecting to get into an accident?