Differences Between '05 and '06 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:37 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences Between '05 and '06 TSX

Hi,

Firts post here and I am most likeley about to become a TSX owner. I have been reading the forum for a couple days now and have some info, but just wanted to get info from owners.

I found a new '05 sitting on a dealers lot, and the cost is a bit less than all the '06 surrounding it. Plus it is the only one in stock with a six speed. They said that as if it were a problem. Personally, I prefer a manual.

Question is, what are the differences between the '05 and '06 models? I see that the '06 has fog lights, and a slightly different design in the lower front, but that seems to be the only styling difference.

What I noticed is the sticker lists hp at 200 for the '05 model and 205 for the '06. But I don't see a difference in motors between years. Five hp is not that much, and I assume that it is rated at the crank. But, what caused the 5hp spread between the two?

I think that I saw that the '06 has a jack for an MP3 player, but other than that, I really didn't see the difference.

Anything else different that would help me make a choice one way or another?

Thanks, Kirt
Old 03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Kirtsky
Hi,

Firts post here and I am most likeley about to become a TSX owner. I have been reading the forum for a couple days now and have some info, but just wanted to get info from owners.

I found a new '05 sitting on a dealers lot, and the cost is a bit less than all the '06 surrounding it. Plus it is the only one in stock with a six speed. They said that as if it were a problem. Personally, I prefer a manual.

Question is, what are the differences between the '05 and '06 models? I see that the '06 has fog lights, and a slightly different design in the lower front, but that seems to be the only styling difference.

What I noticed is the sticker lists hp at 200 for the '05 model and 205 for the '06. But I don't see a difference in motors between years. Five hp is not that much, and I assume that it is rated at the crank. But, what caused the 5hp spread between the two?

I think that I saw that the '06 has a jack for an MP3 player, but other than that, I really didn't see the difference.

Anything else different that would help me make a choice one way or another?

Thanks, Kirt
Mostly the differences are cosmetic, front fascia, the taillights are slightly different, it has new wheels. There are some cosmetic diffs on the interior as well. Largely it's the same.

The actual HP difference is closer to 13-15 HP. The discrepancy is there due the revised SAE standards (the way an engines output is determined).

The '06 is very nice, and all '06 owners here seem to be very happy with their cars. '04-'5's are great, too. If you're going to buy new, you'd probably be better off buying an '06. It really comes down to personal preference.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
無限 本田 CL9

There are quite a bit of changes from '05 to '06

Cosmetically, the '06 has different front bumper (with integrated foglights) and rear bumper
The hood on the '06 does not have the chromed hood trim, it is instead integrated onto the grille. Also, the headlights are slightly different in size.
The rear taillights have smoked reverse lens.
Also, the '06 have different 17" alloys.

Power wise, the '06 receives larger intake/throttle bodies that allows the car to breathe better... the stated 205 hp on the '06 model is actually measured with new SAE standards; compared to the '05, the '06 actually has closer to a 15 to 20hp increase

the '06 also receives goodies such as memory seats, bluetooth, faster/updated navi, and aux inputs
Old 03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
5th Gear

Cool. I took some pics of the two, while looking today, just to look them over and see the differences now. Ad for cosmetics, I think I like the 17's on the '05 better, but I like the clean hood of the '06, without the chrome on it. Really might be personal choice.

I'm giving up hp on either car when my current ride is repurchased by GM/Saturn. But I can live with less power for a reliable car that will hold its value and not to mention how much of an upgrade everything else is about the car. If I wnat a M6 in the car, also look likeI would have to order and wait for an '06 model, and my Lemon buyback is supposed to happen this week, so may have to have one sooner rather than later. The $26,4 with room to come off, on the '05, is a strong point though...

I figure I really can't lose with either year, just have to make the choice.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again, Kirt
Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
evo_to_tsx pretty much summed up all the changes.

What color is the '05 and what's the price?
Depending on the difference between the price of the '05 and '06, it may or may not be worth it.
The '05 already has 1 year worth of "depreciation" on it.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:49 PM
5th Gear

The '05 is the Arctic Blue Pearl, or, if i stay here I should begin to use the short, ABP.

They have a red tag of $26,4 on it, and I am faily certain they will move on that price as well.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also remember that once you drive that 05 off the lot you immediately lose 1 year's worth of depreciation. If you plan on holding on to your TSX for a long time then it won't matter much but if you are going to be a short term owner then resale value will take a hit.

edit: Oops, posted this before reading psteng's post.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 PM
TSX4EVR

These are the changes. They are more than a just a few. The ones that I find the most important to me are highlighted in red:

2006 Model Year Changes

Powertrain
Horsepower increased to 205 SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
Torque increased to 164 lbs-ft. SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4500 rpm
Larger intake valves
Increased valve timing and lift
Increased intake and exhaust flow
Reduced engine pumping losses
Stronger automatic transmission to complement increased horsepower
Higher capacity clutch
Higher capacity torque converter

Chassis
Electronic Brake Assist
Increased rigidity of upper A-arm reduces NVH

Exterior Styling
Restyled hood and grille
Redesigned headlights and combination taillights
Redesigned front and rear bumpers
Fog lamps are integrated into the lower bumper
More pronounced side sills

New nine-spoke alloy wheels
Flat wiper blades increase visibility and reduce wind noise
Four new exterior colors: Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver, Glacier Blue Metallic replaces Meteor Silver Metallic, and Deep Green Pearl, and Royal Blue Pearl are added

Interior
2-position memory for driver's seat
Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
HandsFreeLinkÔwireless telephone interface

Sports steering wheel
Multi-info display
New meter face
New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
Metallic garnish added to shift knob
Smart Maintenance system

Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
Larger buttons and fonts
Faster processing speed
Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
HandsFreeLink calling to POI

More voice recognition commands (653)
Zagat Survey(TM) restaurant guide
Exit ramp services feature

Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception

Excited
Old 03-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by excited
Larger intake valves
According to hondata, when reflashed the above changes will yield even better gains than on 04/05.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:26 PM
04 remembrance

Some dealers still have '05s left over? I wonder how much they're selling them for..
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 PM
5th Gear

excited, good info there. The power may be worth the extra, not to mention the aftermarket may be able to do more with the '06. I would most likely be keeping the vehicle for a while, but still, the '06 does have it's perks over the '05.

As I mentined, it is all upscale for me coming from my saturn, except the power, so having those 15-20 more hp could mean more to me. I'm used to driving a 2900lb car that dynos 215 to the wheels. Not sure on what the TSX weights are, but I guess every bit helps.

As soon as I find how G plans to handle my buyback, I will getting in a new ride one way or another. I would really like it to be a TSX. Might have to bum rides and use my work truck until an '06 can be ordered if that is the case.

Thanks again, great info and quick responses, as well as some more info to think about. Looks like I picked the right board to look into.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

Kirt,

I had the same choices when I went to buy. I looked at a few 2005's that were loaner cars and test drove the 2006 MT. The manual was much more fun to drive and ultimately went with it. But, as a negotiating tactic, I told the salesperson that I would take the 2005 if they would come off the price significantly. They would not, so I just dropped it. Would you rather have a 2005 with 2,000 miles for $26,400, or a brand new one for $27,300?

I would expect a year old car to drop by $2,000 at least considering the old adage "the car drops in value by 10% the second you drive it off the lot". Well that is the case if you go from trade-in value to retail value. Dealers do not recognize depreciation for the difference in the model year if it is on there lot for that time.

Unless the dealer is willing to really drop the price on the 2005, I would not touch it. The value is already diminished even more than the 2006 once you drive it off the lot.

It sounds like you are convinced with the 06 anyway. I love my 2006. The manual is fun to drive and the handling is just amazing.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Lemme resurrect this thread since mine got shut down, BTW sorry mod, the search feature was telling me "page error" and wouldnt work. Thanks for the link.

Ok onto my one question i don't think was answered..

Auxiliary jack for mp3 players and Direct ipod integration are two completely different things.

My main question is: Can you get an 05 with the ipod dock, so the manufacturer stereo setup controls the ipod, changing songs, etc etc.. or is this only an 06 feature?

Also can you put navi into a non-navi 05 tsx and if so, how much hassle and price would you expect it would be? I assume its not worth it on both accounts.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: oh yea.. and bluetooth i take it isnt in the 05.. this seems like a neat feature for people like me who miss calls because my music is too loud, etc. does anyone have any positive/negative comments about this feature, and is it worth it?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Acura does offer an iPod music link accessory that works with 04/05's. Reviews have been so-so.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=ipod

Putting Navi into a non Navi equppied car has been done by one member but I think it was alot more trouble than it was worth. You are far better off getting a navi equipped car.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Advanced

I've had my 06 since April and I love it some of the nice little touches that make the car a joy to drive
2 position memory drivers seat my wife loves driving my car so the second FOB has her seat position and the first FOB has mine.
Bluetooth hands free is seamless and fantastic while in traffic.
AUX plug is great for Ipod's/Mp3 in my case I plug in the portable DVD and use the cars audio for my 3 year old son it’s great to have 270 watts pumping Aladdin

that's my
Old 08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Hey Dom.

I checked that link, and four others i found now that search is working for me..

i see a ton of speculation that the music link can be retrofitted for 05's but i cant seem to see someone say clearly, IT WORKS FOR 05 by doing this.. blah blah

I admit im dyslexic i mix stuff up ALOT so i might have read wrong.. It seems that people want it to work, and some say it does but noone proves it i guess...

I wish the 06 body kit by mugen looked like the 05, thats my main dislike about the 06'.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MeHoo
EDIT: oh yea.. and bluetooth i take it isnt in the 05.. this seems like a neat feature for people like me who miss calls because my music is too loud, etc. does anyone have any positive/negative comments about this feature, and is it worth it?
Bluetooth is awesome. That was one of the features that made me decide to buy an 06 over a used 05. The voice recognition on the bluetooth works great (and I have a deep mumbly voice), people I talk to with it don't even realize they are on speakerphone, and I can make calls at 70 mph without taking my hands off of the wheel (no fumbling w/ the phone or a headset).
Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Yea i think i would use that bluetooth stuff alot...

Ok i guess im just wondering will te 05' Mugen front fascia and side skirts fit the 06, and if not, what interferes?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Milton TSX
I've had my 06 since April and I love it some of the nice little touches that make the car a joy to drive
2 position memory drivers seat my wife loves driving my car so the second FOB has her seat position and the first FOB has mine.
Bluetooth hands free is seamless and fantastic while in traffic.
AUX plug is great for Ipod's/Mp3 in my case I plug in the portable DVD and use the cars audio for my 3 year old son it’s great to have 270 watts pumping Aladdin

that's my
Hello Milton TSX! I lived in Milton for 13 years and moved away eight years ago. I still visit there almost every year as I still have good friends and family there. Nice town, but boy it is really growing.

If you get the chance, try posting in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=27392&page=9

Excited
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one more thing..once the VTEC kicks in at 6Krpm, u can feel the extra power 06 generates than 04/05 but everything is the same as power wise under 6krpm
Old 08-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Instructor

These are the changes. They are more than a just a few. The ones that I find the most important to me are highlighted in red:

2006 Model Year Changes

Powertrain
Horsepower increased to 205 SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
Torque increased to 164 lbs-ft. SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4500 rpm
Larger intake valves
Increased valve timing and lift
Reduced engine pumping losses
Stronger automatic transmission to complement increased horsepower
Higher capacity clutch
Higher capacity torque converter

Chassis
Electronic Brake Assist
Increased rigidity of upper A-arm reduces NVH

Exterior Styling
Restyled hood and grille
Redesigned headlights and combination taillights
Redesigned front and rear bumpers
Fog lamps are integrated into the lower bumper
More pronounced side sills

New nine-spoke alloy wheels
Flat wiper blades increase visibility and reduce wind noise
Four new exterior colors: Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver, Glacier Blue Metallic replaces Meteor Silver Metallic, and Deep Green Pearl, and Royal Blue Pearl are added

Interior
2-position memory for driver's seat
Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
HandsFreeLinkÔwireless telephone interface

Sports steering wheel
Multi-info display
New meter face
New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
Metallic garnish added to shift knob
Smart Maintenance system

Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
Larger buttons and fonts
Faster processing speed
Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
HandsFreeLink calling to POI

More voice recognition commands (653)
Zagat Survey(TM) restaurant guide
Exit ramp services feature

Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception

Excited
Isn't there also a stereo upgrade (360 Watts in the 06) and also is the remote auto window down controlled by the fob also new for 06??
Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced

Hello Milton TSX! I lived in Milton for 13 years and moved away eight years ago. I still visit there almost every year as I still have good friends and family there. Nice town, but boy it is really growing.

If you get the chance, try posting in this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=27392&page=9

Excited
it's nuts now!! the movie theater just opened last month, home depot, big Canadain tire, wal mart and a starbucks
I do love it in Milton it's still quiet and I can go for a walk with my son and not worry about a stray bullit hitting one of us.
I'll post on that thread you gave me soon.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by tlbkcal
Isn't there also a stereo upgrade (360 Watts in the 06) and also is the remote auto window down controlled by the fob also new for 06??
Nope. Those were on the 04 and 05 models.