Difference between Pearl and Metallic Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Pearl and Metallic Paint?

Can someone explain the difference between a Metallic paint job vs. a Pearl? And why is BMW charging extra for a metallic paint...does it look better than Pearl?

What are the difference in effects for the Metallic vs. Pearl?

-Spencer
Old 09-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think this is marketing at it's best. They are probably the same in principal, maybe different in execution. So one company calls it Pearl, another calls it Metallic... it's the same.

Why is Metallic/Pearl more expensive then flat? The paint is more expensive, that's why. It has some additives to make the paint look richer plus some flakes in it to give the effect of Pearl or Metallic.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Thanks DEVO!

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure, since BMW and MB were charging extra for that feature. KUDOS to Acura!
Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Advanced

I've always thought that charging for metallic paint was 'price gouging' at it's best

It is one of the reasons I would not consider buying BMW or MB. When a car sells for over 40K (C$) i would feel offended when being charged an extra $900 for metallic paint. I know it's been that way for ever but still

What do you guys think of this practice
Old 09-03-2003, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Encyclo

i think it's BS and should be stopped. i notice only german manufacturers do this and people don't care since, you know, german cars are the best and are worth every penny, even if they break down and cost an arm and a leg to repair.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

go to an auto body paint store, check out the prices of "flat" colors versus metallic or pearl color paints... you will see what i mean.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:12 PM
anti-dentite bastard

Originally posted by Encyclo
I've always thought that charging for metallic paint was 'price gouging' at it's best

It is one of the reasons I would not consider buying BMW or MB. When a car sells for over 40K (C$) i would feel offended when being charged an extra $900 for metallic paint. I know it's been that way for ever but still

Yeah, it is pretty annoying. But considering that there is no such thing as getting something for free, and that the metallic paint really does cost more, I bet that if they got rid of this practice, all they would really do would increase the price of the non-metallic colors to match that of the metallic ones...
I actually feel kind of simliarly about the 6mt costing the same as the 5at in the tsx. I've never seen another manufacturer charge the same for the manual as the automatic tranny, unless the manual has other things added, like an lsd or bigger/better tires/wheels. I know the 6mt is a sweet transmission, and it uses the magnesium alloy, but there's no way this costs as much as an automatic transmission, which is usually around a $900 option in most cars. Not that it's enough to make me want to get a slush box, but it does feel like by getting a 6mt, I would be subsidizing the people with auto's.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
i think it's BS and should be stopped. i notice only german manufacturers do this and people don't care since, you know, german cars are the best and are worth every penny, even if they break down and cost an arm and a leg to repair.
Well, it depends on the market. Honda's UK Web site sez some colors of their Accord (same body as our TSX) may cost more. They did not specify metallic, pearl, or whatnot costing more, however. I wonder if they made that statement in deferrence to some dealers who try to charge more at any chance they can???

Isn't Pearl a finer grain metallic flake, whereas Metallic is coarser?
Old 09-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wishiwere
Not that it's enough to make me want to get a slush box, but it does feel like by getting a 6mt, I would be subsidizing the people with auto's.
In other markets, ATs cost upwards of $500-1000 more for the JDM-European Accord than the MT version.

It would be interesting for Acura marketing to explain this one.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Don't forget... Mercedes has a "Special Order Surcharge" ($1,150 even on the lowly C-Class), just for adding certain combinations of options, how stupid is that?! Don't believe me , check Edmunds.com.

That's worse than Banks charging you to just use another Bank's ATM... what the hell for.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Audi Driving Snob

you 6mtrs have to pay for that ultra expensive light weight magnesium transmission casing