Dem TSX sure is maneuverable...but so are chunks of rock...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:33 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Dem TSX sure is maneuverable...but so are chunks of rock...

Just had the auto in front run over a hunk of concrete...I was far enough back until one hunk went a little left and one went a little right...

Keep it short, I took one chunk dead center on the lower air dam...scratched all up, and couple of chunks of plastic missing in the underengine tray.

Question: I'm about to crawl under there to check for more damage, what other items down there have proven to be vulnerable to bouncing chunks of rock/concrete?

178.6 miles, a nice avoidance maneuver to miss the first chunk, but it's wingman got me !

Da Duck
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Sile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch.
I would just check around the oil pan. There is a little plastic cover that closes over the plug.
Maybe the O2 sensor on the cat too. I knocked that wire loose after hitting a mound of ice.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 PM

Took a look..

OK, just finished with the Rhino Ramps. I didn't know that if you goose a front-wheel driver car enough to get up the ramps while they are at a slight angle up, the tires will burn plastic right off the ramps and score the surface . I do now!

I've found the trail of scuff marks and damaged plastic. The under-engine tray has cosmetic damage...the O2 sensor seems OK, however I now have less than perfectly round exhaust pipe from the catalyst and the (I assume) resonator. The dimples aren't too deep, however there are a couple of impact creases in the area. No penetration of the exhaust that I can see, however... I ain't too happy.

Da Duck
Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

sorry 'bout that
Old 06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my brother ran over a piece of tire, took out a few plastic bolts, opened up the oilpan cover and knocked his o2 silly

also, left a little thank you note on his right side skirt.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:56 AM
OEM plus!

Rhino ramps scare me. A friend of mine was loading his car onto those ramps once and the ramps slid right out from under the car. The car was very gently accelerating up the ramps and the lonely rubber foot on the bottome of the ramp lost traction. End result....two dented rocker panels and a 700 claim paid to the car owner from the company.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
OK, just finished with the Rhino Ramps. I didn't know that if you goose a front-wheel driver car enough to get up the ramps while they are at a slight angle up, the tires will burn plastic right off the ramps and score the surface . I do now!

I've found the trail of scuff marks and damaged plastic. The under-engine tray has cosmetic damage...the O2 sensor seems OK, however I now have less than perfectly round exhaust pipe from the catalyst and the (I assume) resonator. The dimples aren't too deep, however there are a couple of impact creases in the area. No penetration of the exhaust that I can see, however... I ain't too happy.

Da Duck
A little extra back-pressure shouldn't hurt.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by A Cake On
Rhino ramps scare me. A friend of mine was loading his car onto those ramps once and the ramps slid right out from under the car. The car was very gently accelerating up the ramps and the lonely rubber foot on the bottome of the ramp lost traction. End result....two dented rocker panels and a 700 claim paid to the car owner from the company.
Yea...I found a solution is a pair of cheap rubber floor mats under each ramp, stops them slipping. Of course I was in too much of a hurry to do that !

Da Duck
Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 AM
no0bIe

Originally Posted by San-AnT
my brother ran over a piece of tire, took out a few plastic bolts, opened up the oilpan cover and knocked his o2 silly

also, left a little thank you note on his right side skirt.
I had a similar situation where I straddled a chunk of tire from an 18-wheeler on a hwy, where it completely ripped out the O2 sensor bracket. This past Tuesday I had that relaced for a whopping $52 in labor (half and hour) + $9.62 for parts. I guess its better than taking a chance on scraping up my volks