Deciding between a TL and a Tsx

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding between a TL and a Tsx

I am currently shopping for a vehicle and am having a hard time deciding between a TL and a TSX. My budget is 10,000 max. I checked out a 2004 acura TL with 147km on it(note km so its in Canada) for $9500. I also checked out an 04 tsx with the same amount of KM for $10,000(is this price worth it) considering it is non navi. both are in pretty decent conditions. Now i understand that 04 TL's have transmission issues. How common are these issues? is it for all models? most models? or just a few? and in terms of gas how much difference is it between the two vehicles. I drive about 1500km a month. The gas prices here are about 1.37 a Litre for premium gas. how much difference in price am i looking at per month? how much KM does a TL run you guys per full tank vs a TSX? these are some questions that can help me make my decision. Thank You.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I dunno about the $10k for non-navi for an 04?

But I am pretty sure the TSX gets better mileage per gallon, engine size and body weight and all that.
My 06 TSX I get roughly 420 miles (676Km) per tank between fill-ups during my commutes. I fill up once a week, I commute pretty far I dunno about the TL.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kd2012
I am currently shopping for a vehicle and am having a hard time deciding between a TL and a TSX. My budget is 10,000 max. I checked out a 2004 acura TL with 147km on it(note km so its in Canada) for $9500. I also checked out an 04 tsx with the same amount of KM for $10,000(is this price worth it) considering it is non navi. both are in pretty decent conditions. Now i understand that 04 TL's have transmission issues. How common are these issues? is it for all models? most models? or just a few? and in terms of gas how much difference is it between the two vehicles. I drive about 1500km a month. The gas prices here are about 1.37 a Litre for premium gas. how much difference in price am i looking at per month? how much KM does a TL run you guys per full tank vs a TSX? these are some questions that can help me make my decision. Thank You.
TSX gets better gas mileage due to 4 cylinder and lighter weight, though your mileage will be effected more by the way you drive than anything else. 91K miles is pretty low mileage for a 9 year old car, so no worry there. It's a Honda, so they're just breaking in, but regular maintenance is important. 04 TSX's have had issues (ironically, especially the Canadian models), using oil for one; you should check that out. I would advise driving both and then decide since they drive differently. Won't comment on the price since any comparison to US prices are useless; Canadian models are more expensive to begin with, plus there are exchange rate issues. Check local sales to get a handle on that.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
TSX gets better gas mileage due to 4 cylinder and lighter weight, though your mileage will be effected more by the way you drive than anything else. 91K miles is pretty low mileage for a 9 year old car, so no worry there. It's a Honda, so they're just breaking in, but regular maintenance is important. 04 TSX's have had issues (ironically, especially the Canadian models), using oil for one; you should check that out. I would advise driving both and then decide since they drive differently. Won't comment on the price since any comparison to US prices are useless; Canadian models are more expensive to begin with, plus there are exchange rate issues. Check local sales to get a handle on that.

Another problem area with the 2004 Acura TSX has been the A/C system. Specifically, the 2004s have had issues with the AC compressors failling, contaminating the whole system and requiring very expensive fixes.

As Simba mentioned, the 2004 models also have had much higher problems with oil burning and specially the Canadian models as some members of this board have attested to. This higher oil usage has led to stretched timing chains also requiring expensive fixes. My advice would be to stick to 2005 and newer TSXs.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 TLs have had an abundance of tranny issues, but TSX has had it's share. I have an 04 and no problems, but I know the previous owner had the A/C fixed which seems to be the go to problem.

Both cars are amazing. I absolutely love the TL, too, especially the Type-S. I'd weight the pros/cons. For 10K you can probably find better shape TSXs. I know for TLs, they actually did make their 6MT more expensive then auto, plus they're hard to find.

Driven both:

-TSX handles MUCH better IMO.
-TL has the power and is faster in a straight line. TSX can probably keep up with it or even beat it on a track, though.
-TSX gets better mpg, but actually not by much.
-Looks, i'll say a tie. I'm a huge fan of TLs.
-TL has a better interior
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I own a TSX but like the TL better. Go figure.

When looking at used 04 examples, I found 2 issues that put me off from the TL:

1) Interior Quality. -->Cracked/ aged pleather seats (the pleather in the TSXs I saw were in much better condition). Also a few creaks and rattles in the interior

2) Auto Transmission whine. I drove 8 TLs with around 140 to 150K miles. All of them had a high pitched noise when accelerating from gears 1 through 3. Then I read about the issues on this board (failures occurring at relatively low mileage too).

Reliability on the transmission was important to me as I live in an urban environment and am constantly driving between 0 and 45 mph on a regular basis (stuck in traffic alot), which stresses a trans even further.

MPG wise ---it all depends on your preference of power vs. mpg.

I've managed to get just over 900km (570 miles) to a tank of gas (I only run regular grade gas). 100% flat highway driving on cruise gets me 36 mpg on a regular basis going 70mph.

City driving only will net me 600km to a tank (if I don't pass 3K rpm). I think the TL does well with its highway MPG, but it suffers in the city mpg department because of the extra weight/V6.

Overall, if you have the budget to pay for the extra gas and potentially replacing/rebuilding the transmission, pick the TL. It's a rewarding drive and the styling is great. The interior is also much more luxurious (better materials, real aluminum trim, YUM!). But the seat wear and interior rattles disappointed on high mileage examples.

The TSX looks great too, like a mini-me version of the TL , and I love the rear 3/4 looks on the TSX along with the dual exhausts and led signal mirrors. The Euro Accord (1G TSX design) was out since 2002, fyi. People constantly think I drive a TSX when they complement my car.

I came from a 2001 RL, so I was looking to save on gas as most of my driving is in the city these days. I miss the V6 torque, but the K24 in the TSX really comes alive after 3500rpm if you fancy a little punch.

Overall, if gas was cheaper in Canada, I'd be in a TL today!

Just keep an eye on the transmission and buy the TL if you have a $10K budget, especially if you've never owned a V6 before. you only live once

Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents. Both are fine cars.

While many may say the TSX looks like the TL, it was actually designed first for the Japanese and European markets...and the TL was designed afterward by American Acura designers, to look like the TSX.

But the main thing is driving dynamics. The TSX out handles the TL and has a much different driving experience. The car magazines, (with experts who drive and review more cars than anyone here does), picked the TSX over the TL many times in reviews and comparisons. A prime example: The TSX won Car & Driver's "10 Best Cars" award three years in a row. The TL did not. (And it was never even nominated...while the RSX and RL were.)
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for the response guys. I think i am going to go with the TSX. Is there any common problems that i should be aware of for the 04/05 TSX? at a 10k budget most of these cars will be around 130-150km. I do know that the TSX doesn't have a timing belt, but is there any other maintenance that i should of been done to this point that i should be looking out for? thanks.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by BimmerAcura
04 TLs have had an abundance of tranny issues, but TSX has had it's share. I have an 04 and no problems, but I know the previous owner had the A/C fixed which seems to be the go to problem.

Both cars are amazing. I absolutely love the TL, too, especially the Type-S. I'd weight the pros/cons. For 10K you can probably find better shape TSXs. I know for TLs, [B]they actually did make their 6MT more expensive then auto,

actually, in the US market the 6MT were the same price as their AT counterparts brand new. and yes they are rare. less than 5%/1 in 40 were MT for the 04-06 MY.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kd2012
thanks for the response guys. I think i am going to go with the TSX. Is there any common problems that i should be aware of for the 04/05 TSX? at a 10k budget most of these cars will be around 130-150km. I do know that the TSX doesn't have a timing belt, but is there any other maintenance that i should of been done to this point that i should be looking out for? thanks.

Under 100K miles, the maintenance is pretty simple. Oil and filter, air and cabin filters, brake fluid change every 3 years, tire rotation. Honda holds off till over 100K miles (or 6 years) for coolant and transmission fluid changes, though I've changed them sooner. Spark plugs and valve adjustment every 110K miles. If these last items haven't been done, I'd plan on doing them soon. A service history of your new car would be nice, and without I wouldn't take anything for granted and I'd plan on doing all of the above sooner rather than later. The full maintenance schedule is in the owner's manual. Besides looking at that, I'd advise reading it from cover to cover as soon as possible; it will answer most questions you might have and is a wealth of information.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced

I hate when people just state "it's so slow", for whether or not someone should buy the car. I've seen other threads for this topic, and that's usually the first thing people say against TSX. Speed isn't the only thing in a car. And if that was my 1st priority, I don't think i'd get either lol. TSX has some pull 3.5K+. No low end torque, but it's not like Civic slow lol. TL is definitely faster, though. I love the TL, I even like them a drop more and they were my first choice, but a TSX is an awesome car. There's a reason why the TSX has been on top drivers list and I actually believe Honda/Acura used it as one of their cars in some track test thing. TL might have more power and a lite more luxurious interior, but the TSX is a damn good car that's nice, a great 6MT, and a car that handles amazing.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 07 tl-s and a 07 tsx. I love the power of the tl but often find myself wanting to take the tsx. It drives very smooth and gets a lot better gas mileage. It has plenty of power when you need it. If money was a huge issue i would take the tsx. If you don't mind the hit at the pump. The tl. Honestly if it were me and I was looking at a non type s or a tsx I would pick the tsx.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM
9th Gear

my vote is for the TSX, due to handling, mileage and better interior condition (and I still have my '04 TSX, so I'm a fan). Really can't go wrong with either one.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX v. TL
Check with the seller to see if they've replaced the timing tensioner on the TSX's timing chain.
TL's have a timing belt and are known to have tranny issues. espcially an issue at the mileage listed.
Maintenance wise youre TOC would be less for the TSX than the TL and seeing as how you are operating on a budget it would probably be best if you get that TSX.
But then again if you really need that v6 it does make a difference, I just went from a TL to an RSX and although gas is great dealing with a 4 cly. is not that great

Hope this helps. Opinions mixed in with some facts! GL
Old 12-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind is whether the size of the car is a big deal for you. One of the attractions of the TSX over the TL for me was the size of the car made parallel parking really easy. On the flip side, if you prefer a slightly larger interior, then you would want the TL.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM
6th Gear

Tsx all day
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Advanced

I drove a 6MT TL the other weekend. Great feeling car, great power. It's definitely a sleeper for a mid size luxury family sedan. Beautiful big interior. Thing is, it is big, handles well, but not nearly like the TSX. It really comes down to your priorities. I love both. I'll admit though, i'd rather have a TL if it a 6 speed.

Can a TSX beat a TL on the track? I know it would get smoked straight line, but any chance it can with a good amount of corners and such?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
actually, in the US market the 6MT were the same price as their AT counterparts brand new. and yes they are rare. less than 5%/1 in 40 were MT for the 04-06 MY.
5%=1/20
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM
9th Gear

I'd go TSX if you don't need the power and like gas savings.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
5%=1/20
i'm just going by what wiki has posted. and i said less than 5%.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like the TL. But after seeing the atrocity that is the 09 TL and the 09 TSX, the 2004-2008 TL and TSX is much more appreciated.

But If you don't mind the larger TL, then go for it. But if you prefer the better handling of the TSX, and a smaller size, then the TSX is for you!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I own an '05 tsx with 130k (miles). I would say that if you need space, buy the TL, but if you don't have a big family, and like the driving experience, get a TSX. The acura TL is basically a re designed 2003 accord and even though is a really nice machine, it does have some issues with transmissions. The TSX was a car designed and engineered from scratch and they are made and assembled in Japan. To me is more machine. You really "feel" the road. Besides, on hwy does terriffic- easy 400 miles to a tank @ 80mph. Interior materials and finish are superior to the US assembled TL.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Racer

When i bought my TSX, i actually went to test drive an 06 TL non type-s manual (maybe it was an 04 or 05, dont remember- doesn't matter) I drove it but they had the tsx in the show room and it looked great, especially since the TL seemed oversized to me. Well as soon as I drive teh TSX I was converted - it is simply 10 X as fun to drive and you really arent giving up a ton of "features" if you get a Navi version.

I did qucki comparison and the TSX had all teh options I wanted - top notch Nav system, Sat radio, Bluetooth, heated leather seats, HIDs and fog lights, and a sunroof. oh and 6 gears.

When you think about it, that is quite a nice list, especially since I wound up paying a few grand less for a newer car with less mileage and it was CPOd (of course naturally in nearly 3 years i have yet to have a warranty repair0
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced

If you talking about TL Type S then no question but a base TL, definitely get the TSX