Deciding between new 07 TSX vs 08 Altima Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Chicago
From National Car Rental? I think not................ U obviously missed the point of my post. NISSANS ARE RENTAL CARS AND RESALE ON THEM SUXX BECAUSE OF THAT!
Excellent first and second posts. You should be proud. Check the actual data earlier in this thread showing that the resalve value difference between the Altima 3.5 SL and TSX is about $800 after five years. Either you are wrong, or the TSX suxxs too.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:02 AM
B A N N E D

Angry

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
Excellent first and second posts. You should be proud. Check the actual data earlier in this thread showing that the resalve value difference between the Altima 3.5 SL and TSX is about $800 after five years. Either you are wrong, or the TSX suxxs too.
HAHAHA thats funny....

Hmmm thats also VERY strange because when i did the research on edmunds.com... the Altima was worth more like $2800 less than the TSX.

OH YES, I also forgot to mention... make sure you go on nissanusa.com and price out an Altima 3.5SE coupe. Don't forget to select every options package they offer because if you don't, then you aren't getting nearly as many features as the Acura would have to offer... seeing as they come fully equipped standard unlike the Nissans.

Then also take notice to the $32000 sticker price you end up with, which is... hmmm another $1700 more than the TSX NAVI!

So if we add that to the depreciation difference...
we have a total of $4500 more on the Nissan than the Acura.

I think you might have forgotten to carry a few numbers when you did your math.

Oh, and try not to sound like such a condescending dick next time... especially if you aren't even going to be right.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'll apologize ahead of time, but here's another first post, (which could set off another Nissan owner). I agree completely with Mr. Wisconsin Badger. (I went to another Big Ten school, so we have to stick together.)

The TSX starts out costing less than the comparibly-Maxima and ends up being worth much more. The only thing I can add is that the TSX is the #1 rated car in terms of resale value. Nothing beats it, not even the vaunted BMW 3 series. That' s the end of the story.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
HAHAHA thats funny....

Hmmm thats also VERY strange because when i did the research on edmunds.com... the Altima was worth more like $2800 less than the TSX.

OH YES, I also forgot to mention... make sure you go on nissanusa.com and price out an Altima 3.5SE coupe. Don't forget to select every options package they offer because if you don't, then you aren't getting nearly as many features as the Acura would have to offer... seeing as they come fully equipped standard unlike the Nissans.

Then also take notice to the $32000 sticker price you end up with, which is... hmmm another $1700 more than the TSX NAVI!

Oh, and try not to sound like such a condescending dick next time... especially if you aren't even going to be right.
I think you're misunderstanding his post(s). He's no Nissan fan-boy. He happens to have a TSX. He's simply being objective about the '07 Altima and even said himself that he hated the previous 3.5 model.

Outside of that, I can care less about splitting hairs over which has better depreciation. BOTH hold their value very well.

Even at $32k, I'd have to admit its priced well. Would I be willing to spend over $30k for a Nissan? Nope -- but I'm sure many will once they see the features.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
I think you're misunderstanding his post(s). He's no Nissan fan-boy. He happens to have a TSX. He's simply being objective about the '07 Altima and even said himself that he hated the previous 3.5 model.

Outside of that, I can care less about splitting hairs over which has better depreciation. BOTH hold their value very well.

Even at $32k, I'd have to admit its priced well. Would I be willing to spend over $30k for a Nissan? Nope -- but I'm sure many will once they see the features.
I'm pretty sure he is a Nissan boy... he said he traded in his 06 TSX for an Altima... and if he DOES still have a TSX I don't know why cuz he feels the Altima is a much better car so I couldn't see why he'd keep the Acura.

make no mistake... I don't care aboutwhat he thinks, obviously the guy that started this thread has already made his decision... a good one might I add, and I am not a Nissan hater, my dad bought only Nissans for almost a decade. I just am trying to make a point that the gentleman who keeps posting how much better the Altima is than the TSX is giving out some bogus info to try and make the Nissan sound like it runs circles around the Acura. It might have more HP... but he doesn't even focus on that, he keeps trying to tell everyone that the Altima holds its value better and is less expensive... which both are false statements. I understand he had a bad experiane with his TSX and it was in the shop alot... that can happen with ANY car, my mom's Lexus had nothing but problems with it... you don't see me going to Lexus forums and bashing RX300's... he has based his arguments on things like "the navigation system is way better" which is not backing up any facts... its his opinion. He is also quoting the "cost to own" and claiming its the depreciation, I want him to actually look at the depreciation... go on edmunds.com and price an 04 Altima 3.5SE and an 04 TSX, enter the same mileage and features and THAT is the true deprecation because that is what people are actually getting (i think its funny how many options you have to add to the Nissan for it to be similar to the TSX). You can't claim the cost to own is more or less because that varies per driver and also per location... gas is cheaper in certain places, and people drive their cars differently. I just would like it if someone was going to be in a TSX fourm and tell me that "it suxx" :angryfire to at least have their info correct and based on facts, not opinions cuz lets not forget....

this isn't Altima.nissanzine.com

If you're gonna dis the reason we are all memebers on this site you'd better have your facts in order.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zoopa

Electric motors produce 100% torque from zero-rpms forward - can you imagine the performance potential? Hybrids have not been marketed in a sporty way yet. If Toyota and Honda didn't make their hybrids look so dorky, I would be driving one instead of the TSX - but my wife vetoed it since she spends more time behind the wheel than me. Anybody see the Civic Hybrid Sport Concept at the Tokyo Autoshow?
check out reviews on the Accord V6 Hybrid. It gets basically no better MPG but performance increases.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

For the record, I'm not a Nissan fanboy, and there are lots of Nissans that I don't like (current and last Maxima generations, last two Altima generations, etc.). If anything, I'm more of an Acura fan, which is one of the main reasons I bought the TSX. I've owned lots of car brands, and I don't let the name on the badge sway my judgement - otherwise I wouldn't have owned an Olds Intrigue for 7 years - I loved that car. I'm not a troll either - I've been on AZ for over a year and have over 400 posts. I also feel that I've been very and even tempered given that I guess I'm now in enemy territory since I didn't like my TSX as much as the rest of you. If you want me to go away, I'll be happy to do so. However, when I use forums to car shop, I like to hear different perspectives. That's what I'm presenting.

By the way, the "it suxx" comment was a joke... a parody of the other guy that said the Altima suxxs. I've been very balanced in my opinions of the TSX in this thread... as I said a bunch of times, I bought one! I think both cars are great... I like the Altima better for a number of reasons. The only reason I'm taking such abuse is to try to dspel some inaccurate information and perceptions about the new Altimas. Thanks to black_6spd for being the only one who seems to get it.

As to the depreciation discussion, I already posted my sources: Edmunds and Yahoo Autos. I compared the Altima 3.5SL and TSX with Nav. They have about the same MSRP, and very similar depreciation. They are the facts (and the numbers used when calculaing leases) - they aren't my numbers.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
B A N N E D

For the record, I'm not a Nissan fanboy, and there are lots of Nissans that I don't like (current and last Maxima generations, last two Altima generations, etc.). If anything, I'm more of an Acura fan, which is one of the main reasons I bought the TSX. I've owned lots of car brands, and I don't let the name on the badge sway my judgement - otherwise I wouldn't have owned an Olds Intrigue for 7 years - I loved that car. I'm not a troll either - I've been on AZ for over a year and have over 400 posts. I also feel that I've been very and even tempered given that I guess I'm now in enemy territory since I didn't like my TSX as much as the rest of you. If you want me to go away, I'll be happy to do so. However, when I use forums to car shop, I like to hear different perspectives. That's what I'm presenting.

By the way, the "it suxx" comment was a joke... a parody of the other guy that said the Altima suxxs. I've been very balanced in my opinions of the TSX in this thread... as I said a bunch of times, I bought one! I think both cars are great... I like the Altima better for a number of reasons. The only reason I'm taking such abuse is to try to dspel some inaccurate information and perceptions about the new Altimas. Thanks to black_6spd for being the only one who seems to get it.

As to the depreciation discussion, I already posted my sources: Edmunds and Yahoo Autos. I compared the Altima 3.5SL and TSX with Nav. They have about the same MSRP, and very similar depreciation. They are the facts (and the numbers used when calculaing leases) - they aren't my numbers.
Last time I checked... cost to own doesn't = depreciation. If you wanted to say the Altima and TSX are about even in cost to own over 5 years then say that... but you didn't. I don't care if you are on here, I doubt anyone else does either but just remember WHO you are talking to (TSX owners) and make sure you know what you are saying because I'm not the only one who was calling you out on your figures not making sense.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Last time I checked... cost to own doesn't = depreciation.
I didn't say it did. The Edumunds calculator breaks down a bunch of factors in total cost to own. The one I isolated is depreciation.

According to Edmunds (They both have MSRPs around $30k):
2007 TSX with Nav: $14,587 depreciation after 5 years
2007 Altima 3.5SL: $15,455 depreciation after 5 years

If you still don't believe me, here are the links:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/acur...26499/cto.html
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/niss...22193/cto.html

Yahoo Auto had the difference in depreciation at about $800.

Hopefully now you'll stop saying that they are "my numbers". It's not even an important factor for me. It's a feel good thing about the TSX, no doubt, but in real dollars, it is much less important than, say, finance rate or rebate offered when comparing total cost. And at the end of the day, it's about which car you like better.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Chicago
From National Car Rental? I think not................ U obviously missed the point of my post. NISSANS ARE RENTAL CARS AND RESALE ON THEM SUXX BECAUSE OF THAT!
Maybe not, I don't know what inventory of cars they have, but you can get MB, Lexus, Infiniti, Caddilacs, etc. at Enterprise, Hertz etc.

HAHAHA thats funny....

Acutally, his post was a lot more civilized than the person he quoted.
If anything, the other guy was more condescending.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Also: sorry if there was any confusion with my numbers around Coupe vs. Sedan. Despite the title of this thread, I was comparing apples to apples (4 door sedan with almost identical feature lists). I probably should have ignored the noob... This thread had some very good-natured discussion early on, but seems to be getting more personal, and I let it get to me.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by alucardx
check out reviews on the Accord V6 Hybrid. It gets basically no better MPG but performance increases.
That was it's downfall from the beginning. Was much more expensive than a standard Accord and all you got was an extra 5 hp and maybe 7 MPG on the highway. Now a hybrid TSX would be something (it might possibly be the perfect car if they ever decided to build it). Electric motor solves the low-end torque problems, and I bet you'd get mid to high 30's on the MPG. I've read that there was a space issue with the i-4 where they could not fit the hybrid motor in the engine bay and they could with the V-6. But that was with the American Accord body style.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 AM
B A N N E D

I didn't say it did. The Edumunds calculator breaks down a bunch of factors in total cost to own. The one I isolated is depreciation.

According to Edmunds (They both have MSRPs around $30k):
2007 TSX with Nav: $14,587 depreciation after 5 years
2007 Altima 3.5SL: $15,455 depreciation after 5 years

If you still don't believe me, here are the links:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/acur...26499/cto.html
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/niss...22193/cto.html

Yahoo Auto had the difference in depreciation at about $800.

Hopefully now you'll stop saying that they are "my numbers". It's not even an important factor for me. It's a feel good thing about the TSX, no doubt, but in real dollars, it is much less important than, say, finance rate or rebate offered when comparing total cost. And at the end of the day, it's about which car you like better.
Yes and you are forgetting that the nissan, if equiped with the same features as a TSX Navi is also priced at $32470 (found on edmunds) as compared to the TSX which is $30290 so with ballpark math and including the $800 less you'll get for the nissan after 5 years according to your calculations (which are only estimates and my original calulations were TMV priced currently on edmunds) you are talking about a difference of about $3000... that is much more than you had originally said.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 AM
B A N N E D

and i'm sorry if I came off a little too strong and spouted off some name calling... I just really get pumped up over a good debate and will argue my point to the death.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Arriving Somewhere...

Yes and you are forgetting that the nissan, if equiped with the same features as a TSX Navi is also priced at $32470 (found on edmunds) as compared to the TSX which is $30290 so with ballpark math and including the $800 less you'll get for the nissan after 5 years according to your calculations (which are only estimates and my original calulations were TMV priced currently on edmunds) you are talking about a difference of about $3000... that is much more than you had originally said.
The comparison I was doing all along - both MSRP and depreciation - was the 3.5SL with tech package (what I have) vs. TSX with Nav (what I had). They have almost exactly the same options, with the Altima actually having a few more in total. According to Edmunds: Altima 3.5SL/tech package MSRP is $31,025, and TSX w/Nav is $30,760. However, in real life, I got the TSX for ~$29,000 @4.9% and the Altima for ~$28,000 @2.9%. After five years, I will have paid about $2,650 less for the Altima. This gap will only get wider in the Fall when Nissan will most llikely offer a rebate, whereas Acura doesn't.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Arriving Somewhere...

and i'm sorry if I came off a little too strong and spouted off some name calling... I just really get pumped up over a good debate and will argue my point to the death.
Understood... you wouldn't post in a car forum if you weren't passionate. One more thing about the fanboy accusations from several people: you'll notice that I didn't post anything when I traded in my TSX and bought an Altima. If I really wanted to troll, I would have started my own thread. Someone else started a TSX vs. Altima thread, so I joined in. After being really happy with my new vehicle, it was tough to say nothing as person after person said they aren't in the same league without having driven (let alone owning) both.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm....all of this all seems like personal opinions now. I sometimes think we secretly already know what we want but we make these posts to gauge how people would look upon us when we show up with our final decision. I still think the original poster should just take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt and just go compare the cars side by side to be sure the one they pick is the one they want...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Advanced

Mockenrue, don't go anywhere dude. Even though I disagree with you, your posts are enlightening and informative. I admit that my bias is towards the TSX but after seeing some of the ads for the Altima and pricing one out I'm pretty impressed. I haven't driven the 3.5 just the 2.5 so I can't really compare it to the TSX. But, I think it's going to be a pretty sweet choice considering you could probably get them down to $25K with Navi if you are a good negotiator. Anyway, I think there is a lot of validity in the comment that it is the newer model Altima. KEEP IN MIND...Mockenrue...that just because the resale value is what it is right now...DOESN'T mean those numbers won't change in the year when it comes time to sell. Just letting you know.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Originally Posted by tv4184
Hmmm....all of this all seems like personal opinions now. I sometimes think we secretly already know what we want but we make these posts to gauge how people would look upon us when we show up with our final decision.
Maybe I'm unusual in this, but when shopping I go to forums to look for NEGATIVE comments and the opposite impressions, not justification. I especially like to go to a forum for another car brand and look for posts comparing the car I'm interested in with others. In other words, I'm just as interested for why people DIDN'T buy a car or traded it in. I do the same things with other stuff like home theater equipment, and that has helped me make some well-informed decisions.

Just remember: I had the same TSX bias and loved the car when I first got it. Back then, I even sent a good-hearted email to my friend with a BMW 545i showing that they were both right near the top of resale, but TSX was higher. I also got to take advantage of the low depreciation by getting $25k for my trade from a dealer. Anything is better than the depreciation of the Olds Intrigue I had before that. Kind of hard to get people to buy a car from a dead brand.

I'm still a big Acura fan, and I'm going to pay close attention to their next gen cars because it's a hobby. Given the right driving habits, I'd still recommend the TSX without hesitation.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Instructor

nissan

GO nissan and never look back to acura Again.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
The only facts you can debate about any car are the stats: cost, weight, power, handling, etc. These are the only objective things.

Why anyone buys the car they do is the intersection of what they value, what their priorities are, what they're passionate about, and what they are willing to pay. You can't debate those - they belong to each individual. What makes a car better than another is only in the eye of the beholder, because those four complex things define what "better" means to someone.

So an Altima is not better than a TSX or visa-versa. One may go faster, one may cost less. These things are clear. What makes one "better" than the other is whether resonates with what we value/prioritize/have passion for/can afford, and everyone has their own take.

That's why they have dealerships and test drives.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Louder
The only facts you can debate about any car are the stats: cost, weight, power, handling, etc. These are the only objective things.

Why anyone buys the car they do is the intersection of what they value, what their priorities are, what they're passionate about, and what they are willing to pay. You can't debate those - they belong to each individual. What makes a car better than another is only in the eye of the beholder, because those four complex things define what "better" means to someone.

So an Altima is not better than a TSX or visa-versa. One may go faster, one may cost less. These things are clear. What makes one "better" than the other is whether resonates with what we value/prioritize/have passion for/can afford, and everyone has their own take.

Thank you for some sanity.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 1Louder

i'll agree with that... nice level-headed statement