Deciding between new 07 TSX vs 08 Altima Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding between new 07 TSX vs 08 Altima Coupe

Hey guys, I'm just looking for more opinions and feedback. I do realize I am posting in an Acura forum so it will be somewhat biased

Anyways, I am planning on purchasing a new car, I have already test driven the 07 Camry V6 and did not like it very much...

However, two other cars I am interested is the

base model 2007 TSX vs 2008 Nissan Altima coupe (w/ premium package)

I do realize they are in slightly different classes but they will be around the same price range (26k~) The Altima coupe is in pretty high demand right now and pretty much pay sticker MSRP price where I think I could POSSIBLY get the 07 TSX fairly close to invoice price.

Which would you choose? both cars have a lot of good features.

I also like the of both cars, however I haven't had time to test drive either I do have a feeling I will like the Acura better considering my previous car was a 95 Integra and my brother drives a 03 TL Type-S, which is great to drive.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're young and at your age I would've went with the coupe. However, I have seen the Altima interior and it's nothing to write home about. The materials look cheap and the fit and finish is sub-par. It's the cheap man's 350Z, if you don't count the Pontiac G6 (as I believe it's actually built by Nissan on the same platform).

Anywho, the TSX has more features and standard equipment but, for the price, I think you will have more fun in the Altima Coupe.

Just my .02
Old 07-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Cruisin'

I'll agree about the interior, I test drove a 07 altima sedan.. it did not have the leather package, but overall the interior felt pretty cheap to me. however, it's nice that the Altimas have the smart key standard and CVT.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't testdrive the new altima, but looked at it around local roads.
can't believe the Sentra front and Scion TC back. I hate it.
personally, this is not a dilemma, test drive TSX and see if you like the whole balance of the car.
Around the same price and more power, i recommand RX-8.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Race Director

i saw an altima coupe on the road, the backend looks kind of odd to me, but it's a cheaper alternative to both the 350z and G35 coupe and upcoming G37.

unfortunately, the 350z, altima coupe, G35 coupe, and G37 will all beat a TSX in hp and a race.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by demenion
... however I haven't had time to test drive either...
Test drive them and the decision will be much easier. I have an '06 TSX with a lot of miles and have begun looking for a replacement. The Altima sedan was at the top of the list (the 2.5 with the SL package and Nav). After driving it, I couldn't get back in my TSX fast enough. The styling isn't a 10 but I could live with it, and I thought the interior quality was decent for the price-point, but between the suspension/steering setup and the CVT transmission, the car drove like an econobox IMO.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Instructor

i almost bought a 07 altima 2.5SL LOADED before i got my 06 TSX. they are both nice cars. TSX is loaded with standard fetures and the only option is navi. and TSX havs very solid handling too compare to altima. the altima might have faster pickup power even in it's 2.5 liter engine. 180 torque @ 3900rpm vs TSX 164 @ 4500 rpm. but TSX's happy revving engine is so much fun to drive. altima's interior doesn't come close to TSX's interior finish though. especially when u opt for the navi pkg. looks like they seriously just drill a hole in the middle of center console and squeez the lcd screen in there. unless u want v6 power. otherwise TSX is better chioce between 4 cylinders.

why don't you wait about a year and wait for the completely new accord coupe ? still a decent honda !
Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
go with the TSX, it has a lot better build quality and the finish is a lot better than the coupe... plus the altima coupe is , it's a poor person's g35c/350z
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Don't forget the warranty on the Nissan is only 3 years/36,000 miles. Also the dealership my parents use has loaner cars, I doubt there are many Nissan dealers with loaners. Both of those factors are what swayed them from an Accord and into the TSX.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Racer

test drive both first.. after that the decision is easy.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Instructor

I hope you're comparing the TSX to the Altima Coupe with V6 and premium package? First, it's hard to compare a coupe with a sedan. But you may also want to consider waiting a bit for the new Accord coupe. If you were just to compare the specs and quality, then it's really clear that TSX is better made with more features, and Altima Coupe will win on a straight line with ease. It's like apples and oranges...but...what do you really want?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

i just recently bought a TSX and my buddy just bought the new Altima. He got the SE version with everything but nav. I have to say the car is nice but after i took the altima out for a drive i just didnt like the way it drove. The steering is very lose compared to the very tight and responsive steering of the TSX.....thats just my take

edit: i forgot to say i LOVE my TSX
Old 07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
8th Gear

I was faced with the same dilemma. They are different classes and I liked the styling of the Altima Coupe much better. However, after test driving both and sitting in the interior, I decided on the 07 TSX. The handling is better and the interior is more refined. Plus, I'm a badge 'ho.

I know I'm older, but all of my vehicles have been sedans, sans my 2003 G35C. Sedans don't have the stigma they used to in the days of the '88 Buick.

My is drive them and take the one you will be happy with. You'll be with it for awhile and it's awful being married to something you can't get rid of...right away.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I can't find my garage

heres my opinion. tsx is car for someone who knows interior. tsx's technological features are great. altima has similar features as tsx but tsx's stuffs are easiler to use. i do not know about suspension, but if u want a bit more power, get the 3.5 altima.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think i would have to agree with GenXY, and maybe wait for the new Honda Coupe to come out!! I'm actually hoping there would be a coupe TSX or at least a turbo and i may just trade in my 06

In just looking at the 4 door version, yes the Altima will smoke the TSX in a sprint run but the overall refinement of the TSX is much better (i haven't seen an 08 Altima interior in person yet but i'm assuming it hasn't been that upgraded). Regarding the Altima coupe (poor man's G35) i would at least take it for a test drive. You are around my age and honestly i would prefer something a little faster however, after having a few life experiences in the past yr, i am over that. The TSX has an EXCELLENT fit and finish about it that i really like!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

if you're thinking about an altima coupe, wait for the new 2008 accord coupe to come out then decide between the three.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I can't find my garage

^^ also wait for an acura sports coupe (tsx coupe) and the nsx replacement and the new porsche hybrid! but yea. the accord, i saw it. wow, i like it!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
08 MDX with Sports

nissan coupe? yuck~ save your cash and buy like a 05 g35 coupe used for 25k...
Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

To give you an alternate opinion: I owned a 2006 TSX for a year, and traded it in for a 2007 Altima 3.5 SL sedan, and to be quite honest, I'm much happier with the Altima. The TSX is a lot of fun to drive on the open, twisty roads, but it doesn't make for a good stop-and-go commuter car, and it is serously lacking in torque which we all know about. I had it back to the shop 3 times for alignment issues, and the rough ride got old fast. Yes, the TSX has better handling, but not by as much as you might think (especially if you go with a coupe I would guess), and the turning circle is much better on the Altima. Obviously, the power is a night and day improvement too. Looks are completely subjective, but I find the Altima to be more aggressive, while the TSX is more conservative.

Now, as for the Interior quality: I figured many would say the TSX is better, and it was a lot better than the previous gen Altima. I test drove a 2006 and was not at all impressed. However, the 2007 is very similar in layout and quality to the TSX if you go with the similarly-priced models (ie. loaded SL v6 or SE v6). There are some obvious cost-cutting choices in the TSX that I think the Altima gets better. For example:

TSX: Auto up/down windows on driver side only. Altima has it on both sides.
TSX: Really annoying and cheap looking lock plunger. Altima has no lock plunger.
TSX: No one-touch open for the sunroof. Altima has one-touch open.
TSX: Cheap bluetooth display/only voice menus. Altima: bluetooth is integrated with Nav touch screen and menu system.
TSX: cheap looking key fob and starter in steering column. Altima: Push button start with no key needed.

Speaking of gadgets, the Altima has a rear-view camera, better stereo, better bluetooth, better Nav, etc. The plusses for the TSX are road grip/handling (if you can take the harsh ride and sensitivy to mis-alignment), steering response, seat comfort/memory seat feature, and resale value. From what I hear, the manual tranny is also great on the TSX, but I only drive an auto. Not sure about the coupe, but I was able to get a loaded Altima 3.5 SL for less than the TSX with Nav, and a lower finance rate too. Bottom line: most of you thought like I did - the TSX and the Altima are in different classes. From my experience, that is no longer the case, period.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

I also forgot to mention the most surprising comparison: even with a 3.5L v6 and pretty spririted driving, I get about the same gas mieage, and the Altima doesn't require premium gas. From what I understand, the CVT transmission is much better for fuel economy (which is why they put them in hybrids). The CVT is another subjective thing - I love how it engine breaks in city driving to save on breaks. I really hate accelerating to about 4th gear, only to have to mash the breaks to stop, then sit at the light with the enigne at high idle lurching forward as soon as you lift your foot - the TSX is notorious for high idle for the first 10-15 minutes of your drive. The CVT is a lot closer to Neutral when you're stopped at a light, and acceleration is very linear. Others might say that a CVT transmission is not as "fun". Again, it's subjective.

Don't get me wrong: the TSX is a great car... I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. I'm sure you could make the argument that it is better than the Altima for some drivers, and vice versa. The part that I find annoying is when "badge ho" (to use posidhon's phrase) dismisses a lowly Nissan without knowing the facts. Oh, and I did test drive a G35x. Loved it, but it wasn't worth $10,000 more than the Altima IMO.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I agree with most that you'll know a lot more when you drive them. Also the Accord Coupe looks great and may be worth the wait to check it out as well. You may also find that the Civic Si Coupe or a used RSX may be worth a look.

One thing to consider that I didn't see yet was that the Altima Coupe is new this year, so you have a first model-year car that has the potential for more bugs than usual. 07 TSX is in it's third year - bugs are mostly worked out.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the comments. Nissan dealership just called me today and they have a coupe that i'm interested in (2.5s / premium package) I'm gonna give it a test drive tonight and check out the TSX tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:35 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed with the cheapness of the altima interior. granted, i sat in a base version rental, but the inside is just bad. the only thing that car has going for it is the engine if you decide to upgrade it to the v6.

a friend of mine was trying to get the coupe version, but the wait was so long he ended up getting a GTI.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Hey guys, I'm just looking for more opinions and feedback. I do realize I am posting in an Acura forum so it will be somewhat biased

Anyways, I am planning on purchasing a new car, I have already test driven the 07 Camry V6 and did not like it very much...

However, two other cars I am interested is the

base model 2007 TSX vs 2008 Nissan Altima coupe (w/ premium package)

I do realize they are in slightly different classes but they will be around the same price range (26k~) The Altima coupe is in pretty high demand right now and pretty much pay sticker MSRP price where I think I could POSSIBLY get the 07 TSX fairly close to invoice price.

Which would you choose? both cars have a lot of good features.

I also like the of both cars, however I haven't had time to test drive either I do have a feeling I will like the Acura better considering my previous car was a 95 Integra and my brother drives a 03 TL Type-S, which is great to drive.

Thanks a lot.
I would advise you to test drive both and decide. I love my tsx 6spd but that is my opinion. I am not into two door cars. they can be very annoying at times.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Hey I was in the exact same boat as you regarding the two cars of choice. I was looking at the Altima 3.5 loaded and the TSX. Ok you can argue the 6 cylinder engine but that's where the comparison's end. I got my TSX for a better price and it was loaded. Also, if I tried to get the same options with a 2.5 it priced fairly close to what the TSX was going to be. Add the fact that the 2007 TSX was named the best resale value car for the year and in my opinion it's a no brainer. I looked at both cars and didn't look at anything else. I even have a friend who's brother is a salesman at Nissan and could have had an incredible deal...yet I still went with the TSX. Hopefully this helps.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Originally Posted by eggbert52
Hey I was in the exact same boat as you regarding the two cars of choice. I was looking at the Altima 3.5 loaded and the TSX. Ok you can argue the 6 cylinder engine but that's where the comparison's end. I got my TSX for a better price and it was loaded. Also, if I tried to get the same options with a 2.5 it priced fairly close to what the TSX was going to be. Add the fact that the 2007 TSX was named the best resale value car for the year and in my opinion it's a no brainer. I looked at both cars and didn't look at anything else. I even have a friend who's brother is a salesman at Nissan and could have had an incredible deal...yet I still went with the TSX. Hopefully this helps.
You said you "looked at" them, but did you actually drive both and do a full comparison? I will accept anyone who says the TSX is better if they spent a lot of time with both cars (or owned both like I did). Too many people make judgements without really comparing.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Actually my bad and that's a fair statement. I did test drive both. I just came out of a Ford Focus that was the top of the line Focus...after driving both ( I drove the 4 cynlinder Altima) I really liked the Altima new body style and it does look a lot like the 350 Z. However, they do have a point about the cheap interior compared to the TSX. I also thought the NAV, bluetooth, setup etc was much better on the TSX. I honestly, and this is just my opinion, felt like the Altima was just a tiny step up from my Focus and personally didn't like the way it handled. I like the quick pickup on the TSX and of course the Acura name. However, in the end it just came down to the fact that for a couple of thousand more I was going to buy a car that will actually hold it's value in five years and give me some equity.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Actually my bad and that's a fair statement. I did test drive both. I just came out of a Ford Focus that was the top of the line Focus...after driving both ( I drove the 4 cynlinder Altima) I really liked the Altima new body style and it does look a lot like the 350 Z. However, they do have a point about the cheap interior compared to the TSX. I also thought the NAV, bluetooth, setup etc was much better on the TSX. I honestly, and this is just my opinion, felt like the Altima was just a tiny step up from my Focus and personally didn't like the way it handled. I like the quick pickup on the TSX and of course the Acura name. However, in the end it just came down to the fact that for a couple of thousand more I was going to buy a car that will actually hold it's value in five years and give me some equity.
I'd be curious to know how you'd feel if you didn't have the brand bias. A lot of why you feel the Altima is less of a step up is marketing. Acura is a luxury brand and Nissan isn't. Taken purely on their own merrits, I'd love to hear why you think the TSX nav and bluetooth are better. The bluetooth in the TSX is not integrated, so you can't use the nav screen for setup/address book or for use during calls. I love being able to type numbers on the touch screen when using my work voice mail. On the TSX, I'd have to do it all by voice which drove me nuts. The Altima also has caller ID right on the Nav screen which is great. I think it's kind of dumb to have two separate talk buttons: one for the phone and one for the rest of the car. With Nissan/Infiniti model, it's all integrated.

Anyway, brand bias is there... so be it. I'd rather not drive a car that tries to show people that "I've arrived", which is why I'll never buy a BMW. Great cars, but too many people buy them for the status.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Instructor

It's hard to compare apples and oranges period. At least try comparing it to a Altima sedan. If you want a nice coupe, try Solara too.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
I'd be curious to know how you'd feel if you didn't have the brand bias. A lot of why you feel the Altima is less of a step up is marketing. Acura is a luxury brand and Nissan isn't. Taken purely on their own merrits, I'd love to hear why you think the TSX nav and bluetooth are better. The bluetooth in the TSX is not integrated, so you can't use the nav screen for setup/address book or for use during calls. I love being able to type numbers on the touch screen when using my work voice mail. On the TSX, I'd have to do it all by voice which drove me nuts. The Altima also has caller ID right on the Nav screen which is great. I think it's kind of dumb to have two separate talk buttons: one for the phone and one for the rest of the car. With Nissan/Infiniti model, it's all integrated.

Anyway, brand bias is there... so be it. I'd rather not drive a car that tries to show people that "I've arrived", which is why I'll never buy a BMW. Great cars, but too many people buy them for the status.
Well you can't really get into the NAV doing two test drives. You may have a point here...but I felt the Altima was "cheap" from a test drive standpoint compared to the TSX and I wasn't basing it just on name bias. I honestly would have bought the Nissan and Nissan makes great cars. However, overall the 4 cynlinder Altima just pales in comparison overall to the TSX. Let me know what someone sells their 5 year old 2007 with 100K miles. I can guarantee that the TSX will fetch $6K more at least.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have looked at the new Altima, both coupe and 4 door. I will say it is a step up from the older one. The radio is awesome and on par with the RL sound system, except when the RL is doing DVD audio. I like the fit and finish of the TSX better. I view the Altima as a step down from the TSX, but it is still a nice car. I look at the TSX as a better all around car. Keep in mind the Altima is new and had a chance to see the competition and they did well for themselves. The new TSX I suspect will be awesome. It is still competitive, but it is getting long in the tooth. I did not buy my TSX for light to light racing. It was not designed for that. The car is fun to drive for a sedan and is smooth, especially for a 4 banger . I have not had the opportunity to drive the Nissan as of yet, but looking forward to it. Nobody has mentioned reliability, and I do not think the Nissan will win in that department.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Well you can't really get into the NAV doing two test drives. You may have a point here...but I felt the Altima was "cheap" from a test drive standpoint compared to the TSX and I wasn't basing it just on name bias. I honestly would have bought the Nissan and Nissan makes great cars. However, overall the 4 cynlinder Altima just pales in comparison overall to the TSX. Let me know what someone sells their 5 year old 2007 with 100K miles. I can guarantee that the TSX will fetch $6K more at least.
Good discussion... thanks for keeping it civil. Since you said you drove both and picked the TSX, then that is the right one for you.

As for the trade in cost: you're off on your numbers. According to a "total cost to own" calculator, the 2007 TSX with Nav depreciates $13,383 after 5 years, and the 3.5 SL v6 Altima depreciates $14,119. That $800 is easily made up with a cheaper selling price, lower financing rate, lower fuel cost, etc. If you really were comparing the 4 cyl Altima, then the total cost to own would be much much lower due to the very different selling prices.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

Got a quick internet price quote on a 2007 TSX no nav

26,151 + TT&L

I think I can do better... ?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Good discussion... thanks for keeping it civil. Since you said you drove both and picked the TSX, then that is the right one for you.

As for the trade in cost: you're off on your numbers. According to a "total cost to own" calculator, the 2007 TSX with Nav depreciates $13,383 after 5 years, and the 3.5 SL v6 Altima depreciates $14,119. That $800 is easily made up with a cheaper selling price, lower financing rate, lower fuel cost, etc. If you really were comparing the 4 cyl Altima, then the total cost to own would be much much lower due to the very different selling prices.
No need to not be civil...this is good discussion. Anyway, I was speaking of the 4 cylinder. Not to challenge you here but why was the TSX named the best resale value car in the latest rankings? Also, I am being told that my TSX in good condition with 100K miles will still garner me $10K...and that's $8K more than my Focus was worth. Getting to Dwest's comments I feel the same....I think both cars are obviously good cars. I just feel the TSX is still made a little better and Dwest is spot on as far as comparing overall quality when it comes to repairs.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Got a quick internet price quote on a 2007 TSX no nav

26,151 + TT&L

I think I can do better... ?
Demenion no disrespect but that isn't the discussion here. I guarantee if you make your question a separate post you'll get the results you are looking for. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Not to challenge you here but why was the TSX named the best resale value car in the latest rankings? Also, I am being told that my TSX in good condition with 100K miles will still garner me $10K...and that's $8K more than my Focus was worth.
Your Focus was worth less because it cost a lot less in the first place. Also, because American cars are often steeply discounted at sale time, their depreciation is worse. The TSX may well be at or near the top, but it's not going to be that much over Camry, Accord, or Altima for example (ie. the three best selling cars in the US). The numbers from Edmunds or Yahoo Autos are generated from real data, which you should probably take more seriously than someone's word. The numbers I quoted before were from Yahoo. Edmuds is close: TSX - $14,587 depreciation, and Altima: $15,455. So yeah, the TSX holds its value better by about $800 after 5 years. By comparison, a 2.9% finance rate will save you about $3,600 over the same car at 7%. So you see, resale value is very nice for peace of mind, but it's pretty overrated when it comes to total cost to own when comparing similar Japanese models.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the depreciation for the 2007 Ford Focus, and it loses about 2/3 of its value after 5 years, whereas the TSX and Altima lose about half.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

Just out of curiosity

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the depreciation for the 2007 Ford Focus, and it loses about 2/3 of its value after 5 years, whereas the TSX and Altima lose about half.

How does one know what the value of a 2007 TSX will be after 5 yrs when the model itself is just over 4 years of age. Based on Accord depreciation and/or extrapolating from 3 or 4 years of data for the TSX?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The new Altima should be better than the TSX since it's a new generation. If I am in the market for a car, I would seriously think about the Altima. Funny how the lower end Altima has more luxury features than the higher end TSX. If it wasn't for the Acura badge, the TSX would have lost its edge.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if i were u i would go for the 3.5 v6 altima over the tsx ... i dont know too much about the tsx, but one i get that car as a loner when i drop off my tl, honestly i feel like it doesn't really deserve to wear the acura name ... not tryna offend neone, the altima is a nice car, and the interior is not that bad as everyone makes it out to be ... but in the end the choice is urs

Quick Reply: Deciding between new 07 TSX vs 08 Altima Coupe