debadging marks

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003 | 10:09 PM
Racer

debadging marks

Has anyone debadged their tsx and had problems with like inprinted outlines of the ACURA and TSX on the back of their cars? From all the goo stuff.
Old 09-07-2003 | 11:09 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Na man, you won't have a problem.. I didn't heat mine up or any of that, I just doubled up on the floss and took it off. THEN, i used my thumb, yup, my thumb and rubbed off the Goo, took about 30 minutes to do and had a blister on my thumb for 3 days and couldn't use it! true story... Then once I got most of it off you can just spit or use water and a towel and you'll be straight! I don't care what anybody says, you gotta use elbow grease man, just sprayin' some bug and tar remover and rubbin' it ain't gonna work!
Old 09-07-2003 | 11:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by rb4580
Na man, you won't have a problem.. I didn't heat mine up or any of that, I just doubled up on the floss and took it off. THEN, i used my thumb, yup, my thumb and rubbed off the Goo, took about 30 minutes to do and had a blister on my thumb for 3 days and couldn't use it! true story... Then once I got most of it off you can just spit or use water and a towel and you'll be straight! I don't care what anybody says, you gotta use elbow grease man, just sprayin' some bug and tar remover and rubbin' it ain't gonna work!
add a little bit of wd40 to that elbow grease and the that sticky goo will be gone quick. you should also wax the area after you use the wd40.

i bet ur tsx feels naked without the emblems, hehehehe
Old 09-07-2003 | 11:26 PM
Racer

i think it looks alot cleaner without it. lol i let my brother use a lyke flat head and he like took it off with that, and we had to spend like an hour using goo off to try to get that shit off lol.
Old 09-07-2003 | 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I did mine last week, and I have the same thumb blister! It was totally worth it, though. The debadged look is hawt!
Old 09-08-2003 | 01:15 PM
Pro

thinking about debadging tonight and then washing my car. Does goo gone really not take it off? Does it make it worst? What do they use to put the letters on? double sided tape?
Old 09-08-2003 | 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

You should be fine to take it off with floss and a little elbow. I've used 3M and Honda adhesive remover personally, but even zippo lighter fluid works to remove the goo if any. Just wash your car after doing it to ensure a smooth surface.
Old 09-08-2003 | 10:10 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rb4580
THEN, i used my thumb, yup, my thumb and rubbed off the Goo, took about 30 minutes to do and had a blister on my thumb for 3 days and couldn't use it! true story...
How did you rub it? Just used your thumb and rubbed in circular motion? What else did you use? I used goo gone.... didn't help at all. I was thinking trying to get some tougher shit.... HELP! I got mine halfway off and that sticky shit is still on their.
Old 09-09-2003 | 08:47 AM
Instructor

Use WD40.

If you feel a bit more adventurous, get some denatured alcohol from the paint section of your local home improvement store.

As with all chemicals, do not take internally.
Old 09-09-2003 | 05:30 PM
Advanced

Yes Jusy use your fingers to take out the heavy stuff, and I used bug and tar remover to take out the ones that my fingers can't pick. YES! MY FREAKING FINGERS WERE HURTING FOR 2 DAYS
Old 09-09-2003 | 06:11 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

my friend Ian had a problem on his 2003 TLS. When he removed the Acura logo it seems that they put the stickers on before clear coating it so there was a heavy acura indnetion. He's taking it back to the dealer soon.
Old 09-09-2003 | 08:00 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by civic4982
my friend Ian had a problem on his 2003 TLS. When he removed the Acura logo it seems that they put the stickers on before clear coating it so there was a heavy acura indnetion. He's taking it back to the dealer soon.
Had to be a repaint. Emblems are one of the last items added to the car on the assembly line. (Sorry) :o
Old 09-09-2003 | 08:27 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by LOL888
i think it looks alot cleaner without it. lol i let my brother use a lyke flat head and he like took it off with that, and we had to spend like an hour using goo off to try to get that shit off lol.
I sprayed some bug and tar remover onto a piece of damped cloth and gently rub off the residue. Gone in less than 2 mins.
Old 09-09-2003 | 09:24 PM
Pro

first day I took off the TSX emblem, took me so long to get that shit off that I had to stop and finish the next day (yesterday). Today I came home from work and was able to get the rest of the TSX off (about time).

I decided to start on the acura emblem. I don't know why but, that shit is just tough. Not sure if I'm not using the right stuff or not rubbing it right. I used WD40 this time and tried goo gone. Both worked the same (not too well). I actually had my blow dryer out there. Worked alright.

Nothing works as good as rubbing the shit out of your fingers until it's hot and hurting like a bitch. Got my first blister on my thumb, then tried to used every other finger. Finishing up acura side tomorrow, it got dark. I got the U R A left. sigh.....

to everyone that got that shit off in 30 mins!!!

AdamC, did you just get your car when you took it off?
Old 09-10-2003 | 02:49 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by 1killercls
Had to be a repaint. Emblems are one of the last items added to the car on the assembly line. (Sorry) :o
That's what I thought at first too but his car is brand new, only been in his posession for a month or so. He received it with under 35 miles on it. Unless something dropped on the trunk and fucked it up and they repainted it, there's no other explanation other than the paint screwed up at the factory and they put emblems on too soon. Could just be that the clear coat hadn't dried completely and emblems were pushed onto them.
Old 09-10-2003 | 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

For the record, Goo Gone does NOT work on this adhesive! It worked on a vinyl dealer decal that was right above the "ACURA" emblem, but that's it. I ended up using the burning thumb method as well because the Goo Gone wasn't strong enough for the thick gunk under the emblems.

civic4982: I think I remember reading that someone had the same type of problem with their sunroof wind deflector. The guy took it off, and it looked like it had been attatched before the paint dried. Maybe the emblems and the wind deflector use the same type of adhesive and there's some sort of funky chemical reaction going on. I'm sure whoever supplies the adhesive to Honda makes it up in batches...maybe they screwed up a batch?
Old 09-10-2003 | 07:01 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by civic4982
Unless something dropped on the trunk and fucked it up and they repainted it.
That is what happened.
Old 09-11-2003 | 10:13 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by DjElucid
AdamC, did you just get your car when you took it off?
No. I had my car for weeks before I decided to remove the Acura and TSX emblems. This bug and tar remover spray works great and it is safe for clearcoats. It's supposed to be some sort of adhesive solvent so the adhesive residues slightly softened and dissolved and came off real easy. In addition, it wasn't even a hot day when I did mine. I merely used a fishing string to remove the badges and apply some bug/tar remover onto a damped cloth, gently rub off the residues. The entire process only took me less than 10 minutes.
Old 09-12-2003 | 09:27 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by 1killercls
That is what happened.
I'm still thinking that a more liekly result is that the clearcoat had not dried by the time they placed the emblems on instead of the dealership repainting. It could have happened at the factory in my opinion.