Dear Acura

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Acura

Hello Acura...It's such a fine car this TSX. I suspect you guys have your peps embedded among us to check out the reception this fine vehicle is getting. From what I can see the only issue to date are the door panels vibrating and or buzzing. Other than that, so far so good. While I have your attention I do have a few minor concerns that I think might be good to bring up at the next R&D meeting. In no particular order.

The confirmation chirp on the security system is a loud blast. I know I can go silent with it, but I'm usually walking away whenever I arm it. A soft chirp when armed and 2 soft chirps if something is left on or open would be nice.

Lose the altitude. It's amazing what an inch or 2 will do. Hey, I talking springs here.

Let's hear it. How about a little more exhaust note? A nice mellow hummmmmmm would be nice.

I love this car but only wish it had more "X" in the TSX.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Teh seX

Re: Dear Acura

Originally posted by weasel
Hello Acura...It's such a fine car this TSX. I suspect you guys have your peps embedded among us to check out the reception this fine vehicle is getting. From what I can see the only issue to date are the door panels vibrating and or buzzing. Other than that, so far so good. While I have your attention I do have a few minor concerns that I think might be good to bring up at the next R&D meeting. In no particular order.

The confirmation chirp on the security system is a loud blast. I know I can go silent with it, but I'm usually walking away whenever I arm it. A soft chirp when armed and 2 soft chirps if something is left on or open would be nice.

Lose the altitude. It's amazing what an inch or 2 will do. Hey, I talking springs here.

Let's hear it. How about a little more exhaust note? A nice mellow hummmmmmm would be nice.

I love this car but only wish it had more "X" in the TSX.

well written..
Old 08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates the horn blast when you press the 'lock' button twice within 5 seconds. Did you know the car won't rev beyond 4500 RPMs in neutral? And why the hell does my car sometimes chime like I left headlights on when I unlock the car and open the door?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:58 PM

If the tsx had the accord v6 engine that would be a car.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by Jason
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates the horn blast when you press the 'lock' button twice within 5 seconds. Did you know the car won't rev beyond 4500 RPMs in neutral? And why the hell does my car sometimes chime like I left headlights on when I unlock the car and open the door?
That megablast of a horn chirp is the single most annoying thing about the car. I'm glad to see that someone else occasionally hears the headlight chime for no reason when entering the car... is it just saying hello??
Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jcg878
That megablast of a horn chirp is the single most annoying thing about the car. I'm glad to see that someone else occasionally hears the headlight chime for no reason when entering the car... is it just saying hello??
I guess to me this makes perfect sense ... the car chimes when you leave your lights on with the car off - right?

Well - when you open your car your lights flash .... with the car off ... thus the ding. My guess is you hearing it sometimes and sometimes not has to do with how fast you are opening the door.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Teh seX

Originally posted by adam fiooz
If the tsx had the accord v6 engine that would be a car.
adam ... why are you on this board? hehe.. seriously though if it did have the accord v6 engine, we have already went over this plenty of times.. search..
Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Actually Prov, my headlight are always to the off position and my car makes the noise when I open my driver's door. Sometimes it chimes, other times it does not. I can't tell what the difference is. It happens during the day or at night. Every time the situation is the same: hit unlock once from key fob and get in the car.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by provench
I guess to me this makes perfect sense ... the car chimes when you leave your lights on with the car off - right?

Well - when you open your car your lights flash .... with the car off ... thus the ding. My guess is you hearing it sometimes and sometimes not has to do with how fast you are opening the door.
Exactly...Didn't we go through this once before.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:25 PM
More On

Re: Dear Acura

.....The confirmation chirp on the security system is a loud blast.....
Maybe I don't know how this works.
I thought the system is armed when you just lock the doors -- which doesn't produce any "chirp" or "honk" unless you happen to do it TWICE.

Do you mean that you have to do it twice to arm the security system? Or, do you have a twitch in your finger, so you can't help hitting it twice?
Or, do I have a twitch in my brain that's keeping me from understanding this?

Do tell.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

Actually Prov, my headlight are always to the off position and my car makes the noise when I open my driver's door. Sometimes it chimes, other times it does not. I can't tell what the difference is. It happens during the day or at night. Every time the situation is the same: hit unlock once from key fob and get in the car.
Ditto here. Glad to see I'm not crazy. There must be some consistency to this but I can't figure out why it does it sometimes and not others.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Acura Fan

I hate that DAMN blast from the horn too. I thought that Acuras have the nice BEEP sound and Hondas have the HONK from the horn. I feel cheated.

Also, is it me or are Honda cars' dashes are getting higher and higher. I like the low cowl and belt lines of the old gen Hondas/Acura automobiles.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jt5905
I hate that DAMN blast from the horn too. I thought that Acuras have the nice BEEP sound and Hondas have the HONK from the horn. I feel cheated.

Also, is it me or are Honda cars' dashes are getting higher and higher. I like the low cowl and belt lines of the old gen Hondas/Acura automobiles.
The dashes? Do you mean the belt line?

I prefer the lower cowl of the older Accords. This afforded superior visibility for the driver. With the TSX's relatively high cowl, I can't see the hood or front of the car from the driver's seat. Visual ergonomics were a hallmark of the older Accords.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:58 PM
More On

Originally posted by Brad
.....I prefer the lower cowl of the older Accords. This afforded superior visibility for the driver. With the TSX's relatively high cowl, I can't see the hood or front of the car from the driver's seat. Visual ergonomics were a hallmark of the older Accords.
Me too. For weeks I found myself constantly wanting to raise my head higher all the time, without knowing why. That's why.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by pcsvic
Ditto here. Glad to see I'm not crazy. There must be some consistency to this but I can't figure out why it does it sometimes and not others.
We did go over this once before, but here's the scoop:

When you unlock the doors, the parking lights flash twice. If you happen to open the driver door before the parking lights are done flashing, you get the ding -- sometimes one, sometimes half, depending on how quickly you open the door after unlocking. You get the same ding by leaving the door open and turning the parking lights on.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Instructor

And why the hell does my car sometimes chime like I left headlights on when I unlock the car and open the door?
Originally posted by pcsvic
The lights blink twice when you unlock the doors. Your door chimes when you open it and leave the lights on. So....
When you unlock your doors the lights blink and if you open the door while they are blinking you will hear a "lights on" type chime because technically...your lights are on.
Get it??
Got it??
GOOD!!
Old 08-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Advanced

...my 4 year old EL has the same security system setup guys...its nothing new, its the same system Honda uses in all of their cars. When you hit the unlock switch on the key fob, the lights flash and the horn honks unless you have it set for silent mode, which I have done. If you open the door while the lights are still flashing you will hear the headlight chime. Odysseys, Accords, EL's, TL's, RSX, they all operate the same way...

Lorne Miller
Old 08-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro

THE HORN!!!!! I thought I paid for a luxury car man! I picked up my car last night and SURPRISE - HONK!!!!!

My parents' 2000 camry goes "beeep" and sounds great! My brother-in-laws have a TL and MDX and they go "beeep"

What's going on ACURA!!!!!!

Does anyone know how we can rig this to go "beeeep"???

So what happens the first time you press lock and the second time? samething?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:06 AM
More On

Originally posted by sheik28
Get it??
Got it.
GOOD!!
Hey sheik, you're my man:
WHERE DOES THAT COME FROM?
I heard that once in my life, 32 years ago, and never since.
I didn't know then, and I don't know now.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:07 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Geez guys, this info is all in the owner's manual on page 83. You did get an owner's manual with your car, didn't you?

You can lock and unlock your car with the remote transmitter. When you push the LOCK button, all doors and the trunk lock. The parking lights, side marker lights, taillights, and instrument panel lights flash once.

When you push the LOCK button a second time within 5 seconds after locking the doors, you will hear a beep to verify that the doors are locked and the security system has set.
The "beep" is actually a "honk" from the horn, and yes, it's damn loud!
Old 08-09-2003, 01:10 AM
More On

Originally posted by Lorne Miller
...my 4 year old EL has the same security system setup guys...its nothing new, its the same system Honda uses in all of their cars. When you hit the unlock switch on the key fob, the lights flash and the horn honks unless you have it set for silent mode, which I have done.....
I dunno, but I think part of the reason some of us seem so stupid is that maybe not the same things happen on all the cars, if that's possible.

All I know is, in terms of my car, I have no idea what you're talking about up there, because my car has never beeped or honked when I hit "unlock."
Old 08-09-2003, 01:15 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

And while we're making a wish list...

Does anyone find the front interior dome light (map lights) too bright when opening the car? I've turned mine off so now only the rear light glows when I unlock/open the doors.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:21 AM
has been here awhile

I would have thought the TSX would have a beep...oh well. I think it's much classier to have your car beep instead of honk--the honk is really annoying.

I like how the RL beeps whenever you hit the lock or un-lock button. Click the lock button once and you get a nice beep (louder than the TL or MDX beep, might I add.) Click the un-lock button once and you get two beeps. Click it again to un-lock all doors and you get the double beep again. Very nice I'm easily amused by these little features.

My personal favorite, however, is the BMW 5-series lock confirmations. If you've never heard it before, it's something totally unique--kinda hard to describe. A friend of mine calls it R2D2

Anyway, as for the interiors of the older Hondas--I'm totally with you. I absolutely LOVE the interior of the 1st generation Legend. When you sit inside of one it just fits like a glove. I can't put my finger on it, but it just has a nice feeling.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-09-2003, 01:47 AM
More On

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
....I absolutely LOVE the interior of the 1st generation Legend. When you sit inside of one it just fits like a glove. I can't put my finger on it, but it just has a nice feeling.
Loved my '88 Legend, kept it for 14 years, replaced it only because the lady insisted, and I couldn't argue too much with it.

"Often imitated, never equalled." Not even by itself.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:59 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by larchmont
..."Often imitated, never equalled." Not even by itself.
While I haven't sat in a G2 Legend, pictures show that it was quite a change from the original interior. While I like the look of the G2 Legend better than the first, I think I like the G1 interior better.

SPUDMTN
Old 08-09-2003, 11:05 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by XPLORx4
You can lock and unlock your car with the remote transmitter. When you push the LOCK button, all doors and the trunk lock. The parking lights, side marker lights, taillights, and instrument panel lights flash once.

When you push the LOCK button a second time within 5 seconds after locking the doors, you will hear a beep to verify that the doors are locked and the security system has set.
Is that to say that the security system isn't set until the second press of the lock button, or just that it doesn't honk until then?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:43 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys i dont see what the big deal is. Press the lock button wonce and the system is fully armed and locked. Press it again within 5 seconds is just a confirmatino that the system is actually on. This is perfect if you are in a parking lot and want to alert some on-lookers that you have an alarm and it is set. When you are parking in your driveway at home only press it once, so there is not that annoying loud beep.

Trust me this is a much better system than my girlfriends altima. The horn sounds every time the lock button is pressed. Very annoying.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Guys i dont see what the big deal is. Press the lock button wonce and the system is fully armed and locked. Press it again within 5 seconds is just a confirmatino that the system is actually on. This is perfect if you are in a parking lot and want to alert some on-lookers that you have an alarm and it is set. When you are parking in your driveway at home only press it once, so there is not that annoying loud beep.

Trust me this is a much better system than my girlfriends altima. The horn sounds every time the lock button is pressed. Very annoying.
So at least it could be worse. I would prefer a chirp the first time and that's it - I can't always hear the locks lock or see the lights flash, so I hit it a second time then and HONK!!! Then everyone knows it's locked, but my passenger jumps and I cringe. I had to ask the dealer if the alarm was armed the first time, because the owner's manual (quoted by xplor here) seemed vague.

Thanks for explaining the occasional chime - that's definitely it (headlights flashing when door opened).
Old 08-10-2003, 12:07 AM
More On

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Guys i dont see what the big deal is. Press the lock button wonce and the system is fully armed and locked. Press it again within 5 seconds is just a confirmatino that the system is actually on....
No big deal. Just that the first post made it seem like maybe the security system isn't even armed unless you get the "honk."

Obviously you were clear about it, but it was possible to read it either way. I didn't get it, and it seems some others didn't either.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Drifting

Well I for one hate that frigging horn blast. It's one of the more disappointing aspects of the car. My 2001 CL-S had a pleasant beep on the second press of the lock button and this car should have it too. It's the little things guys...
Old 08-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Cruisin'

Folks, I started this thread and I am not disputing whether the security system arms on the 1st or 2nd press on the remote. It arms on the 1st and if you press again within 5 seconds, you get the confirmation blast that tellls you that the doors and trunk are locked. My contention is that to avoid the blast I have to be near the vehicle to hear the lock solenoids do their thing on the first press. And that's exactly what I'm doing now. If the confirmation blast wasn't so loud, I would use the 2nd press feature. It's this blast that annoys me and my neighbors and that's why I rarely use it. Let's end this now and move on.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:07 AM
More On

......Let's end this now and move on.
What's your problem?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Acura Fan

As long as we're complaining, why is there 2 empty slots next to the sunroof and VSA switch? The foglight switch is on the light stalk. Could one of the slots be for the VTM-4 (AWD) in the Japenese version?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:32 AM
has been here awhile

As long as we're complaining, why is there 2 empty slots next to the sunroof and VSA switch? The foglight switch is on the light stalk. Could one of the slots be for the VTM-4 (AWD) in the Japenese version?
Good guess...but I'm afraid that's not it. The two are for intelligent cruise control and the adjustment switch for the HID lights. This was discussed not too long ago in this thread.

It would be nice to fill those blanks w/ those two options over here, don't you think?

SPUDMTN
Old 08-10-2003, 01:34 AM
Acura Fan

They always keep the cool stuff to themselves...remember the Civic Del Slow and it's electric hard top?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:40 AM
More On

OK, enough -- Can we end this now and move on already?

I'm a very busy man, I have better things to do.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Acura Fan

Lachmont, you in NY, is'nt it 3:00 AM? Better thing to do would be GO TO SLEEP!

We want to whine more
Old 08-10-2003, 02:00 AM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure I've seen larchmont post on here at 2am pacific, which is like 5am EST. I think that he's a robot or something, since he never sleeps (that must be his "secret occupation")
Old 08-10-2003, 02:18 AM
More On

.....We want to whine more
I was kidding up there, just giving Weasel a hard time. Whine all you want (and I'll probably whine with you, in fact).

Yes, you've seen me up later than that!
But, you'll find some nice blocks of time when you don't!

Thank you for your fine concern about my well being, though.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Über Geek

Arming/locking:
The honk startles me too. Half the time, I use the lock button INSIDE. I know that doesn't arm the kill switch. But I know my car's pretty safe at work.

The high dash:
I think this a trend on a lot of cars. My guess is that it's for ergonomics. I like how high the stereo and AC controls are because they're closer to my line of sight. Less looking away from the road.

Quick Reply: Dear Acura