Customize Navi map colors - PERMANENTLY

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Customize Navi map colors - PERMANENTLY

You know the Developer mode screen in the Navi diagnostics? The one where you can customize the colors of your map display? (If not, read below.) I love that, but it always irritated me that every time you turn off the car, it would go back to the default tan background (for day mode) and dark grey background (for night mode). I knew that there had to be a way to change these colors permanently.

I ran this idea by bysin a couple of days ago, and he pointed me in the right direction. I have now successfully made color changes permanent.
If you don't know how to change the colors, here's how:

To get to the dev screen, first go into diagnostic mode (Hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel together for 3 seconds.) Then from the diag screen, hold Menu for another three seconds. You are now at the developer screen. From here you can customize your colors. They are obviously different for day/night mode. The first color displayed is for the background, which will probably be the main one you might want to change anyway. Pick the color you want and hit SET. Then exit back to normal map function and your colors will be there. Until you turn off the car, that is.
Now, thanks to bysin's dumpnavi console program and a little bit of hex editing, you can make the changes you want and make them permanent.

Here's how:

Use bysin's console program to extract the contents of the .bin to a directory on your hard drive. (My .bin file is BNHN404A.BIN) If you don't know how to do this, bysin has documented it. http://www.linuxkiddies.com/bysin/navi You have to use the command line version - for now.

After you've extracted the contents of the .bin, open NAVI.EXE (which you extracted from the .bin) with a hex editor. I used XVI32 for my hex editor - you can download it for free (Google it.) Be very careful when hex editing. You want to make sure you only edit the area of the file that contains the color definitions. (I was able to locate these offsets by searching for the values of the default colors.)

The default colors are as follows:
Day mode background = 210 210 160 (or D2 D2 A0 in hex.) This is the RGB representation for the tan background.

Night mode background = 32 32 32 (or 20 20 20 in hex.) This is the RGB for the dark grey - not quite black - background in night mode.
You will find these hex values at the following offsets in the NAVI.EXE file:
Day mode color is at offset 4947E8. (You should see the values for tan here - D2 D2 A0. NOTE: the value string D2 D2 A0 appears only once in the NAVI.EXE file. If you found it, you're at the right place!)

Night mode color is at offset 494848. (You should see the values for dark grey here - 20 20 20. NOTE: the value string 20 20 20 appears LOTS of places in this file. ONLY CHANGE THE ONE AT OFFSET 494848! You've been warned!)
Change these to colors you want, with the RGB values in hex. I chose BD D2 76 for the day mode (a pale green) and 00 00 00 for night mode (pure black.) The tan always made me feel like i was driving in the desert. I like the green much better, but you can of course pick whatever you want. The pure black looks 10x better at night than the grey. Dark blue works well for night mode, too.
If you need help choosing a color, first find the color you like by manually entering developer mode as described above. Then change the RGB values to pick the color you like, and write down the RGB (red green blue) values at the bottom. These will be in decimal. You'll need to convert them to hexadecimal. To do this easily, open calc.exe in Windows and put it in scientific mode. Make sure it is in decimal mode, enter the value for red, and then click the hex button to get the value for red in hex. Repeat for blue and green. Remember the order is always RGB. When you are finished you should get three sets of 2 characters. Easy enough. If you've done enough web development, you can make up RGB colors in hex in your head.
WARNING - ONLY CHANGE THE VALUES AT THESE OFFSETS. ANY OTHER CHANGES TO THE EXECUTABLE COULD CAUSE SYSTEM ERRORS. Of course I take no responsibility whatsoever if you screw up your system. If you mess up and have a problem, you can reset to factory default settings by using the method bysin outlined in his documentation.

Once you have changed the values at those locations to the colors you want, save the edited NAVI.EXE file. Exit the hex editor. Now use bysin's program to reinsert the new NAVI.EXE into the .bin file. Then you can burn the disk just like you would if you were changing the back.bmp for the splash screen and follow bysin's procedures for installing it.

Note: This WILL work in conjunction with the custom splash screen as well. Just use the dumpnavi program to insert your custom .BMP following bysin's instructions.

I have been discussing this with bysin, and as time allows, he plans to integrate this functionality into the GUI version of the dumpnavi program to simplify the whole procedure.

In the meantime, if you can follow this process you should be able to duplicate what I've done and get persistent customized colors for your map!

Good luck, and lots of thanks to bysin for his excellent program! I knew we'd find a new use for it if we looked hard enough!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY cool!

Good job

Got pics to show too?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Yui
Pro

What year is this mod for?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That is good news im glad the hack navi is comming along i would also like to see some pics
Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bysin does it again.

Nice work man, post some pics when you get the chance
Old 02-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Yui
What year is this mod for?
This is for any navi system that uses the Orange disk, including 2004-2005 TSX.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Overlord

Haven't taken any pics, but if you want to see what it looks like, try this yourself:

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
If you don't know how to change the colors, here's how:

To get to the dev screen, first go into diagnostic mode (Hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel together for 3 seconds.) Then from the diag screen, hold Menu for another three seconds. You are now at the developer screen. From here you can customize your colors. They are obviously different for day/night mode. The first color displayed is for the background, which will probably be the main one you might want to change anyway. Pick the color you want and hit SET. Then exit back to normal map function and your colors will be there. Until you turn off the car, that is.
Then when you get a color combo that you like, you can use this method to make the changes stick.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Overlord

Okay, here are some pictures. Six pictures - that's worth 6000 words, right?

Here is the diagnostic mode screen:

Here is the developer screen:

Here is the map color selection screen with the RGB spinboxes:

Here I made a pinkish-red, just for demonstration purposes. Hit SET and then return return return to get back to user mode.

Here is the final result:

Of course, I would never use this color, but to each his own. You can do whatever color you want.

Here are the colors I'm using. I was much more subtle. Pale green for day mode (might not show up well in this pic, but it looks great in person):

And pure black for night mode. It might be hard to tell from this pic, but there is MUCH more contrast with the black than with the default grey:

Remember, doing it this way will show you what it will look like, but it won't stay that way once you turn off the car. You'll have to edit the .exe as described in the first post to make your changes persistent.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
:Nice: + 1
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Anxiously awaiting the GUI version of this!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Advanced

i have an 06 accord EX with navi, which I understand is the same one as in the TSX, the colors don't go back to the default colors when you restart the car.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by billyho96
i have an 06 accord EX with navi, which I understand is the same one as in the TSX, the colors don't go back to the default colors when you restart the car.

You have the White Disk, not the Orange Disk. Good to know, though.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Advanced

You have the White Disk, not the Orange Disk. Good to know, though.
Yes, you are correct white discs. Yes 2006 has save for colours after ignition power down. I found that odd compared to this post as I have not owned a pre 2006 model. I have a 2006 Accord v6 navi sedan auto (Canada )
Old 02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by 05v6solara
...I have a 2006 Accord v6 navi sedan auto (Canada )
Why the ? Because of the car, or because you live in Canada?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Overlord

Has anybody else tried this yet?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Has anybody else tried this yet?
I'm going to give it a try when I get some spare time. Question though -- I was playing around with the colors on the Developer mode screen today (not saving my changes). There are a ton of other colors in there -- the No. 0, No. 1, No. 2, etc. Are those the colors for interstate highways, golf courses/parks, bodies of water, etc? Could we modify all of those colors too?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
will this work for 3rd gen TL?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Michael05
I'm going to give it a try when I get some spare time. Question though -- I was playing around with the colors on the Developer mode screen today (not saving my changes). There are a ton of other colors in there -- the No. 0, No. 1, No. 2, etc. Are those the colors for interstate highways, golf courses/parks, bodies of water, etc? Could we modify all of those colors too?
Yes. But I haven't tracked down what each of those colors actually correlate to. My main interest was the background colors. If somebody wants to document what index corresponds to what, that could certainly be helpful.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
will this work for 3rd gen TL?
It *should.* However, be VERY CAREFUL when you hex edit the file. Since the TL loads a different module than the TSX, it is possible that the locations of the offsets are different. Check to make sure the indicated values are in the expected locations. If so, I'd say it would certainly work.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Overlord

It *should.* However, be VERY CAREFUL when you hex edit the file. Since the TL loads a different module than the TSX, it is possible that the locations of the offsets are different. Check to make sure the indicated values are in the expected locations. If so, I'd say it would certainly work.
Teh Jatt - if you try this, please let us know if it works as is. Otherwise it will just involve locating the TL-specific offsets.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Teh Jatt - if you try this, please let us know if it works as is. Otherwise it will just involve locating the TL-specific offsets.
I'm scared to do it...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
I'm scared to do it...
The worst that would happen is that you'd have to reload from the original disk following bysin's instructions.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone try doing a pure "white" background for daytime? The Jeep's Navi has that and looks really clean.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:15 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Originally Posted by fender4645
Anyone try doing a pure "white" background for daytime? The Jeep's Navi has that and looks really clean.
I tried doing it this past week. Looks pretty cool during winter, feels like you're driving in snow. Not sure how I'll feel about it in summer.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a trick to making it save the customized colors in an 06 TSX? It will save the 'regular' ones after you turn off the car that you access through the normal set up menu. But it looses any of the 'custom' one's that you can create in the developers screen.

Also it took me a while to figure it out, but the background in an 2006 is #62. I kept changing the first one that came up, #0, and wondering why it wasn't changing the background color at all.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

Excellent Beoshingus! I finally got around to changing my map colors permanently, after a year and a half of wanting to do it.

I'm now running a light green day map color (170,210,140 RGB), which looks nicer because it looks like grass rather than sand. At night I now have a navy blue (32,32,105 RGB), similar to one of the defaults in the white disc navi systems.

Some notes that may help others:

The offsets that you need to look for within the hex editor (that Beoshingus mentioned in the first post in this thread) might not be correct for you, depending on what your bootloader file is. My bootloader was different than his (I have BN2HN18B) and they were different offsets. My offset for day was at 4949E8 and my night offset was 494A48.

I figured that out because when I went to the offset he noted, it wasn't D2 D2 A0. So I knew I was in the wrong place. I did a Find command within the hex editor to find D2 D2 A0 and figured out mine was at 4949E8.

But I knew night would be more difficult, since 20 20 20 appears many places in the file. So I calculated the difference between his day offset and my day offset, and used that same amount to figure out the difference between his night offset and where my night offset should be. Once I did the math and went to 494A48, I saw that it was 20 20 20, so I figured I was in the right place!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:38 AM
私はより良い

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
Is there a trick to making it save the customized colors in an 06 TSX? It will save the 'regular' ones after you turn off the car that you access through the normal set up menu. But it looses any of the 'custom' one's that you can create in the developers screen.

Also it took me a while to figure it out, but the background in an 2006 is #62. I kept changing the first one that came up, #0, and wondering why it wasn't changing the background color at all.
u do know that there is a color-changing option built in on the 2006's
Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BananaFusion

Same issue, there is a save button on the screen but you cannot select it, you can only choose set or default. We may also have to use Bysins set up. Also, does anyone know the street color for night and day??? What it's RGB is etc...? So we can look for that too
Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
9th Gear

Does anyone know if it would work on a 2009 TSX? Just curious! I had it working perfectly on my 2005 TSX.. but I went to test drive the 2009 TSX this past Saturday, and walked out with it.. hehe!

I love it! I would like to have my picture back though..

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Instructor

No one has the answer? I'm curious too.