View Poll Results: Current TSX or 240-250HP Version?
Current TSX
38.46%
240-250HP TSX Costing 30K+ (38K CAD)
61.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Current TSX or 240-250HP TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 09:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Current TSX or 240-250HP TSX

Lets imagine the TSX has an optional more powerful engine. Either a V6 or am even higher output 4 cylinder like we've all discussed before.

What would you have bought if given the choice. The TSX is its current form? or a TSX with a 240 -250 HP and 200 + lb-ft for about 30K US or 40K CAD.

I think this might be an interesting poll because many, many people still buy a 4 Cylinder Accord over a V6 and a 115HP Civic over the 127HP model or a BMW 325 or A4 1.8T and the list goes on, even with more powerful variants of those models available. So we, I'm sure won't all vote for the more powerful version of a TSX.

Oh and one more thing, I think we should imagine the new TL does'nt exist as I'm sure alot of you would say 04 TL. Then again Larch would again agrue size so say whatever you want.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously, were cost-no-object, more power is always welcome. But $40K (CAD) is out of my price range and I'm satisfied with the output and high-efficiency of the 2.4L i4.

Also, for $40K (CAD) the TSX would need a few more options to be competitive in that price range, hence the slightly better equipped TL.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Spud
Obviously, were cost-no-object, more power is always welcome. But $40K (CAD) is out of my price range and I'm satisfied with the output and high-efficiency of the 2.4L i4.

Also, for $40K (CAD) the TSX would need a few more options to be competitive in that price range, hence the slightly better equipped TL.
Thats what I wanted to see from the poll.

And you may be right 40K CAD I think was too high. Lets see 34.8K + a V6, lets say $2,500 = $37,300. Lets say $37,500. How does that sound now?

fdl, Jason or an admin could you please change the poll to say $37,500 CAD.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by domn
fdl, Jason or an admin could you please change the poll to say $37,500 CAD.
Done. 38K would be more likely.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Racer

At 200HP, the TSX was already a huge upgrade from my former car; and at $26k + tax, title etc., it was at my upper limit pricewise, so I'd be in the current model.

Since we're getting hypothetical here, if the TSX came in a "base" model (without leather, moonroof, heated seats, homelink, xenons:'( ) at $24,500 or less, I'd have chosen it over the current model.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
At 200HP, the TSX was already a huge upgrade from my former car; and at $26k + tax, title etc., it was at my upper limit pricewise, so I'd be in the current model.

Since we're getting hypothetical here, if the TSX came in a "base" model (without leather, moonroof, heated seats, homelink, xenons:'( ) at $24,500 or less, I'd have chosen it over the current model.
You wouldn't pay $3K for leather, moonroof, heated seats, homelink, and HID? That's a bargain for $3K.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Good point, I'd have done the same thing. To be even more hypothetical, who would have bought the 2.0L 160HP variant sold in Europe and Japan? or a 160HP 2.4L variant?

The ultimate TSX that we're being robbed of should have been a stripper model without Xenons, Moonroof, powert seat, leather, fancy stereo etc. If only, but I'm sure Honda has their reasons.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Racer

Here's a breakdown of how I valued the individual features (prior to buying the TSX), if I could have bought each individually:

Xenons $300
Leather $200
Moonroof $100
Homelink $100
Heated seats $0 (hey, I'm in Southern California)

The xenons have grown on me a lot and would be hard to give up. Same goes for Homelink. But in this hypothetical, I hadn't yet owned a car with these features, so they weren't as important to me then. Coming from a base Camry, just having remote entry has me giddy.

Domn: If my theoretical "base" model TSX only came with 160HP, then the price would have to be closer to $23k. I think it would be a mistake to Acura to make that option available. But I'm also in the camp that thinks, as fun as the RSX is to drive, it shouldn't be sold as an Acura (just because of that cheap interior -- I love the exterior styling, and of course the engine.)
Old 11-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Here's a breakdown of how I valued the individual features (prior to buying the TSX), if I could have bought each individually:

Xenons $300
Leather $200
Moonroof $100
Homelink $100
Heated seats $0 (hey, I'm in Southern California)

The xenons have grown on me a lot and would be hard to give up. Same goes for Homelink. But in this hypothetical, I hadn't yet owned a car with these features, so they weren't as important to me then. Coming from a base Camry, just having remote entry has me giddy.

Domn: If my theoretical "base" model TSX only came with 160HP, then the price would have to be closer to $23k. I think it would be a mistake to Acura to make that option available. But I'm also in the camp that thinks, as fun as the RSX is to drive, it shouldn't be sold as an Acura (just because of that cheap interior -- I love the exterior styling, and of course the engine.)
Are you sure they can't pay you to take heated seats?

$100 for a moonroof is a steal dude. I'd buy two at that price.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:25 AM
More On

Re: Current TSX or 240-250HP TSX

.....Larch would again argue size ......
No, but how about this -- I don't see how anyone can answer this (or, to use someone's brilliant wording from another thread, I can't "fathom" it), because, when you have those kinds of different versions of a car, don't other things besides the power change too? If the question is, ".....assuming that everything else was exactly the same," I'd say yes. But, I don't think it's ever the case that everything else is exactly the same, because at least the weight usually changes, which changes the balance of things. And in addition, of course sometimes they change other things about the car too and you can't get it except as a package. So, my answer is,

See, you can't predict exactly what I'm gonna bitch about.....
Old 11-21-2003, 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Larch are the driving dynamics of the 330 different from the 325? Or 540 different from the 530 or 525 or Accord V6 to the Accord 4 cylinder? Some will say yes to that last one, but is it different enough to have a big impact? IMO No, so answer the question and stop stalling
Old 11-21-2003, 11:38 AM
More On

I think you made my point, by indicating that people think it can make a difference. I think it usually makes a difference, if not always. And yes, I experience the ride of those two BMW's very differently. As it happens, I like the 330 ride better, which is the opposite of what I'd be afraid of in saying "yes" to this poll. But my point is just that other things besides the power become different. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, but different. So it becomes a different car, and IMO it's not really possible to answer meaningfully until they make the car and you try it.

If you wanna ask, "Would you pay a bit extra for a TSX with more power but with everything else at least as good if not better......" then of course everybody would say yes, depending on the extra cost. And different people would have different cut-offs on that. What would mine be? Maybe $3000 U.S. (But more, if the ride was also more to my liking.)
Old 11-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

i would def. buy the tsx for 3k-4k more if it had a v6 and rwd. also throw in leather like the TL, memory seats, and heated mirrors, and tl sound systme. then it be the perfect car IMO.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by larchmont
If you wanna ask, "Would you pay a bit extra for a TSX with more power but with everything else at least as good if not better......" then of course everybody would say yes,
Not true at all, some don't have the means to afford that extra 3K and some don't see the need, but to say that a TSX with more power would'nt be "better" is just crazy, it would definently be better especially with a higher output 4 cylinder.

The point I am trying to make is that the current TSX and a V6 or more powerful TSX would not be different enough for anyone to call them different cars, its still the same car with a different engine for the most part. Yes there may be a slightly different feeling but not big enough to say "its too different for my liking? Do you know anyone who could afford a V6 Accord say "I much prefer the handling of the 4 cylinder, so I'll save my money and get it over the V6?" I don't

Point of this poll, if a more powerful version ofthe TSX was available would you have bought it instead? I'm trying to make a comparison like those who bought a A4 3.0 V6 over the 1.8 did. They had to make a decesion based on needs and costs and I'm trying to do that presuming the cars were close enough to be the same (which I'm sure would have been the case)
Old 11-21-2003, 12:13 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Domn, i get the feeling from some of your last few posts that you have a major case of buyers remorse?

If you really really want I bet there is a way to get the accord v6 in your TSX. It probably wont be cheap though.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Drifting

This is a good poll. I'm sure Acura would be very intersted in the results.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Yeah domn is becoming a tsx hata Seriously thought you bought a car with good resale...you could still turn it around and pick up an srt4 and probably pocket some $$$
Old 11-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Instructor

I agree it's a poll that Acura should pay attention to. They've got an excellent platform in the current TSX. Add a few more options and a v6 and it'll steal sales from 330i and A4 3.0.

Now that I've said that, I'm not sure this hypothetical car would be as good an overall package price/quality/features as what we all have now. One idea I've always advocated for the TSX is that they targetted a specific and important niche between the Accord/Mazda6/Altima world and the 325i/A4/IS300 world. TSX does not fall squarely into either camp, but fills a niche in between.

Just as Mazda has had to be very careful in re-jigging the Miata, Acura would be wise to not upset the fine balance they've achieved, IMHO, with the TSX.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Let me clear up some of the misconceptions that fdl and TinkySD have created

I do not have buyer's remorse nor have I become a TSX hater(although it may seem that way) and I am offended at the very mention of my name in the same sentence with SRT-4

I love my TSX, its the second best car I've ever owned and I would buy it again if I had to today. My only gripe with the car is its lack of power and maybe in retrospect I should have fought my wife harder for a 6MT, although I'm sure I would have lost that battle.

Now, here's the thing. I complain about the TSX's lack of power from my computer here at work or at home. But when I'm behind the wheel there are no complaints, EXCEPT when I attempt to accelerate hard from a stop. But I hardly if ever do that anymore so its less and less of a problem.

And this poll was only created to gauge intrests in engine options. I really feel the BMW, Audi etc compariosn with different engines choices is interesting and thats was my intent.

Now, having said all that. If an Accord Sedan was available that looked the part, I would not be driving a TSX today and thats only because I value engine performance over acceleration very slightly.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yes - I will admit it ... I am with domn on this one and the ONLY thing I find to "complain" about with my car is the power. Yes - I would take a car with more power and everything else the same on this car for $3-4K more ... no question about that ... this car is great in every other aspect.

By the way ... my guess is Acura is already ahead of us and working on this very thing ... but they will likely add some other features for even more differentiation (read ... way to make more profit using gimmicks ).

The decision I made when I bought the TSX is yes the power is a 4 out of a 5, but it is a 5 out of 5 for all the other qualities I like in a car and no other car had that combo of "scores". There were at least 2-3 things sub optimal if you will (Take the AV6 for example - it is too big and too ugly for me in sedan form to want to get that car for the extra power and keep Honda reliability).

Fun poll ... will be interesting ...
Old 11-21-2003, 01:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

But you can never have enough power. NEVER. THats how I see it anyways.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

YES !!! Provench is a hater too

j/k, I'm sure provench and I are'nt the only ones to feel this way. In fact I can guarantee we're not the only ones.

UPDATE:

Current TSX - 8
240-250HP Variant - 11
Old 11-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
For another $1.5KUS I would opted for a more powerful engine. For $5K I would opt for a more powerful engine & A-Spec goodies.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
But you can never have enough power. NEVER. THats how I see it anyways.
I guess thats what it all boils down to. I'd probly be complaining about the same thing if I drove the Enzo.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think domn should be banned.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
I think domn should be banned.

:'(

:noob:
Old 11-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Drifting

But when I'm behind the wheel there are no complaints, EXCEPT when I attempt to accelerate hard from a stop.
Yeah, the 6MT would have helped you in that department. Having said that, the car could still use some more power/torque, but I'm ok with it's performance.

BTW, what was the best car you ever owned?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Jason
BTW, what was the best car you ever owned?
I guess I should'nt have said "best" as the TSX would be the best car. But my 1998 GS-R was my favorite car. It was a great car for me at the time. I bought it on my 21st birthday, modded it, raced it and loved getting into it every single time. I even stored it over the winter.

Unfortunately, I only had it for a year a half as it was written off in a accident. So in relaity I owned it for a year and a half but only drove it for about 13 months. And I have a huge soft spot for GS-R's and Type R's to this day.

Would it be a good car for me today? No way.

Hmmm, another poll, "What was the best car you've ever owned?"
Old 11-21-2003, 02:55 PM

Domn owned me.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:07 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
For me, it's somewhat obvious that I would go with the 240-250hp TSX. One reason is that I tend to opt for the "top of the line" with in the car model.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Obviously you did'nt read my initial post. I said imagine the TL did'nt exist

But what your saying is just wrong. Should BMW 325 seekers move up to the 5 series because there's more power? No they have options and so do A4, C series, 9-3 and X type shoppers.

Again the point of this poll is to see who would have chosen the "OPTIONAL" more powerful engine or stayed with the "Current Form" TSX. NOT to complain about the TSX's power!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Don't get run over!

I would pay $3k more for a more powerful TSX. I bought my TSX back in May for $26,500USD, but I could have paid $4k more and got a more powerful V6 Infiniti G35.....plus the G35 is RWD and its fast!

Other people told me I should have got the Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi for the same price if not less than what I paid for my TSX. However, I like my TSX more than the new Accords. Yes, I find the 2.4L 200HP engine underpowered sometimes, especially when I have two buddies ride along with me, but it doesn't really bother me too much.

Possible TSX Type S??

If the TSX had a 240HP engine....it would be a really good.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Cruisin'

If Honda could get 240-250 hp from the K24 without lessening its current low end torque, then I would want it and pay more. If they had to make it a torqueless rev-monster like the 2.0 in the S2000, then no.

I have owned numerous 4-cylinder cars in the past, and they all pissed me off to some degree due to the lack of usable torque and non-linear power bands. I test drove the WRX and A4 1.8t and realized they would drive me crazy day to day. The TSX's 2.4 feels more like a straight six, I will gladly give up some top end for more usable low end and midrange.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:31 PM

Domn, excellent, thoughts. I feel you.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I want more power EDIT: domn is still a hata'
Old 11-21-2003, 09:21 PM
More On

Not true at all, some don't have the means to afford that extra 3K and some don't see the need, but to say that a TSX with more power would'nt be "better" is just crazy.....
Hey, domn! You missed a lot of what I said. I guess you're so passionate about this that you're racing past some stuff. First of all, when you quoted from my post, you "dotted out" some of what I said, with one of these: "................" and the stuff you left out actually answers part of your objection. (And the rest of your objection is answered by what you did quote from my post, but you must have misunderstood it.) Here's what I had said:

If you wanna ask, "Would you pay a bit extra for a TSX with more power but with everything else at least as good if not better......" then of course everybody would say yes, depending on the extra cost. And different people would have different cut-offs on that.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by larchmont
If you wanna ask, "Would you pay a bit extra for a TSX with more power but with everything else at least as good if not better......" then of course everybody would say yes, depending on the extra cost. And different people would have different cut-offs on that.
True, but I'll bet a lot of people would go BMW or TL if the difference in price was large, methinks. I'd pay an extra 1-1.5K, but not more.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:25 PM
such a dirty birdy

Interesting poll. I think for me, if the TSX was a few thousand more, I'd have been more inclined to look at a BMW 3 series, assuming that was the price range I was aiming at. As it was, the TSX was already at the upper limit of my price range; in fact it was the most expensive of the cars I was considering. So if my ONLY option were a more powerful and more expensive TSX, I probably would have passed on it altogether.

As it is, I have no regrets and no buyers remorse. I think I got a great deal and I'm happy with the TSX. However, I am realizing that what I really want is a BMW 5 series with more room, more power and RWD. I can't see ever being able to justify that kind of expense for a car, however.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

whos the crazy bastard asking about 38K for more power or base???
38Kcdn is roughly what the base costs. a 250hp would be you paying 40K+
if your tsx was 3 k cheaper than 38 grand, plz tell me off
Old 11-24-2003, 07:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, if you paid 38 gran you got ripped off. $34,000 + S&H + TX is what it costs. A $3200 power upgrade is modest, but not impossible. Anyways, we're just talking "if's" here, you gotta keep that in mind too.

Quick Reply: Current TSX or 240-250HP TSX