Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 198 Posts
Angry Crank but no start

Snowed here three days ago and hasn't been driven since before. Cranked it today (45 degrees F) to park out in a sunny part of the drive way to melt rest of snow on car, started up just fine. Parked it and left it until just now. Went out to go start it, everything seemed normal, radio, lights ect. Went to start it and it cranked slowly while firing (you could feel and hear it kick over). Tired multiple times with a rest in between and with out holding the key too long.

Makes no sense, started up just like that after sitting for 3 days straight with out being cranked and now after cranked once it's having issues the same day not 7 hours later.

I'm suspecting the battery. Not but 3 weeks ago the car left us stranded at a funeral after we parked it at the burial leaving the lights on (They automatically turn off last time I checked them -and it worked) so they must have drained the battery before they were even able to automatically turn off (Though we did leave the key in the ignition so maybe that doesn't let them auto off?).

The only thing that I can think of is that the battery is just weak.

But wow, starts fine after not being touched for 3 days and then dies 6 hours later after being started. Step dad said "Sounded like the stater" but it's not making in odd noises but the starter on these cars do like to weaken overtime so it's possible.

Hope we don't have a parasitic drain or bad ground killing the battery. Would be hell to find it.

Anyone have suggestions or had similar issues?
I'll have a video up shortly.

Last edited by Timmy18; 01-31-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Well if you think it's the battery then try jump starting it. Even if your battery is low it'll still light up your interior.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

I know it will still light everything up just what is so odd is how it can sit 3 days and then start once with no problems and then not start that same day just hours after.

UPDATE:
Got out the jumper cables and after waiting we tried starting it and same result as with out the cables. That's when I start to worry it could be the starter on it's way out. So after some more waiting and another attempt it starts but wasn't happy. Idle was really odd but got it self straightened out.

On the way to go get a new battery.
Funny that Acura just checked the battery when we had the ECU corrosion service done.
Came back "Good" with 362 Cold cranking amps vs the factories 410. That was in November and it's been considerably colder. So couple that with a over 6 year old battery (if it's even been replaced -we haven't replaced it in our 6 year ownership) I guess it's safe to say it's done.

But wow. I just can't get over it starting earlier today with no problems after sitting and then just the opposite not but 6 hours later. Guess that's all it had, lol.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18
I know it will still light everything up just what is so odd is how it can sit 3 days and then start once with no problems and then not start that same day just hours after.

UPDATE:
Got out the jumper cables and after waiting we tried starting it and same result as with out the cables. That's when I start to worry it could be the starter on it's way out. So after some more waiting and another attempt it starts but wasn't happy. Idle was really odd but got it self straightened out.

Funny that Acura just checked the battery when we had the ECU corrosion service done.
Came back "Good" with 362 Cold cranking amps vs the factories 410. That was in November and it's been considerably colder. So couple that with a over 6 year old battery (if it's even been replaced -we haven't replaced it in our 6 year ownership) I guess it's safe to say it's done.

But wow. I just can't get over it starting earlier today with no problems after sitting and then just the opposite not but 6 hours later. Guess that's all it had, lol.
A parasitic drain is unlikely since it started fine after sitting for more than 3 days. The battery also had that long to "recharge". A lead acid battery pulls power from the top down (so closest to the battery posts). When you start the car, it pulls the power off the top. Then, over time, the battery basically recharges as power "floats" from the bottom toward the top (I mean when the car is not running, and I'm simplifying this). This is also why a quick recharge on a battery will make it act like it's charged, even though in reality, just the top of the plates are (and assuming you then drive the car, the alternator will take care of the rest). When you started the car after a lengthy idle period, you stripped the top of battery of power, and then when you went back 6 hours later, the top of the battery hadn't had enough time to fully recharge, hence the hard starting. I've told you a long story and taken a long time to tell you that it sounds like you need a new battery. 6 years on an OE battery is pretty uncommon, and you're certainly due.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18

UPDATE:

The fact that the car also started hard with cables may point toward a possible cable issue (not unheard of with the TSX). When you replace the battery, make sure both ends of the negative cable are clean and tight. You can only access the battery end of the positive cable, but make sure that that is clean and tight too.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Checked all of the cables today and no corrosion or anything.

Must have just been a really tired battery.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
your question about the car starting after 3 days but not starting after is probably because you started it after sitting for 3 days however you didn't let it run for enough to recharge it.

Pair that up with an old battery, crappy weather and the fact it is a crappy OEM battery to begin with, it all makes sense!