Consumer Reports Latest Article TSX Reviewed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports Latest Article TSX Reviewed!!!

Hey all,

Received Consumer Reports today. They review the TSX, the Subaru Legacy, the Audi A4 and the Volvo S40...exactly like Car & Driver just did...but from a much more objective consumer point of view...

Did anyone else see it/read the article?

It had great things to say about the TSX and it got the "red checkmark" as a recommended model!

Only negatives they had to comment on were:

*Ride Quality (said it was too stiff and unforgiving over bumps)
*Turning circle (40 ft)
*Requirement of premium fuel
*HID cutoff (but said the high beams were very effective)

Otherwise, the mad scientists at Consumer Reports loved the car and predict very good reliability...not just good, but very good.

They thought the Navi system was very intuitive and loved the fit and finish of the high quality materials on the inside.

Makes me happy I'm driving a great car and if an entity like CR says its good, it definitely is a good product in my opinion.

Only the Subaru got a red check recommendation mark in addition to the TSX... the Volvo and the Audi did not due to poor reliability and way cramped rear seats.

Take it or leave it, all the cars tested are great cars, but for the price I don't think the other three can even compare. A comparably equipped A4 or S40 is pushing $32,000. And they have POOR reliability.

You do the math.

Thanks CR!
Old 09-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Thanks. I will look for it in the mail

edit: What class of vehicle do they consider this group to be??
Old 09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yay for the good review but I still hate CR.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
Thanks. I will look for it in the mail

jcg - dust off your scanner again.....
Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by wsklar
shhhh...
Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
don't tell him, but that resolution needs an upgrade
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Yay for the good review but I still hate CR.
Why? They are a good reviewer of appliances IMO. My formula is:

Go by CR only: buy reliable, safe appliance that put you to sleep

Go by C&D only: buy a fun-to-drive sports car that's a blast in the twisties, but possibly unreliable and probably impractical

Go by both: buy a TSX
Old 09-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by mg7726
yeah, but it's partially due to photobucket restricting file sizes to 250kb. I need a new image server.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by mg7726
Ill squint instead of paying that CR subscription fee.....
Old 09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

just checked - article is not on consumerreports.org yet
Old 09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by jcg
Why? They are a good reviewer of appliances IMO. My formula is:

Go by CR only: buy reliable, safe appliance that put you to sleep

Go by C&D only: buy a fun-to-drive sports car that's a blast in the twisties, but possibly unreliable and probably impractical

Go by both: buy a TSX
Ok, that'll work.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Why are the google ads in this thread all about traffic tickets??
Old 09-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I could wait for this issue....but

how did the TSX rank in overall score compared to others in its category?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Alright another good review for the TSX! Over at is300.net, I read a couple threads where they're basically looking down on us for owning this "$30,000 accord 4 banger pos" and saying how we're using magazines to prove our worth....blah blah blah. Can anybody say jealous? If there are a lot of reviews for the TSX and basically all good then there must be something about this car that's WORTH IT.

If you want to read the threads just do a search for TSX...lots of negativity over there.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pdjjr78
Hey all,

Received Consumer Reports today. They review the TSX, the Subaru Legacy, the Audi A4 and the Volvo S40...exactly like Car & Driver just did...but from a much more objective consumer point of view...

Did anyone else see it/read the article?

It had great things to say about the TSX and it got the "red checkmark" as a recommended model!

Only negatives they had to comment on were:

*Ride Quality (said it was too stiff and unforgiving over bumps)
*Turning circle (40 ft)
*Requirement of premium fuel
*HID cutoff (but said the high beams were very effective)

Otherwise, the mad scientists at Consumer Reports loved the car and predict very good reliability...not just good, but very good.

They thought the Navi system was very intuitive and loved the fit and finish of the high quality materials on the inside.

Makes me happy I'm driving a great car and if an entity like CR says its good, it definitely is a good product in my opinion.

Only the Subaru got a red check recommendation mark in addition to the TSX... the Volvo and the Audi did not due to poor reliability and way cramped rear seats.

Take it or leave it, all the cars tested are great cars, but for the price I don't think the other three can even compare. A comparably equipped A4 or S40 is pushing $32,000. And they have POOR reliability.

You do the math.

Thanks CR!
The ride quality can be improved dramatically by installing a-spec suspension. After putting the a-spec on the ride are become firm instead of harsh when it go through every bump, rough road or man hole in addition with an excellent handling & cornering!
BTW, no matter how many options put on A4 or S40, their refinement, engine smoothest, shifting feel still no way come close to a Honda. Also both Audi & Volvo will drive like a 10yr old Honda after 2yr.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ianS
The ride quality can be improved dramatically by installing a-spec suspension...
What does the a-spec suspension consist of and how much does it cost? Does it change the ground clearance any? I presume that there is no adverse effect on handling.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
What does the a-spec suspension consist of and how much does it cost? Does it change the ground clearance any? I presume that there is no adverse effect on handling.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14419
Old 09-30-2004, 10:35 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think a-spec would make things worse, not better. They complained the ride was too stiff, and a-spec will make it even more stiff.

Jim there are tons of threads on the a-spec package. It lowers the ride height very sligtly (1 cm i think).
Old 09-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fdl
I would think a-spec would make things worse, not better. They complained the ride was too stiff, and a-spec will make it even more stiff.
Yep, this is what http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=264032 had to say on Page 2:

"For some people, the stock TSX ride is a bit too stiff, and if you're one of these people who feels that way, then the A-Spec suspension is not for you."

Guess I will be looking for better tires. The OEM tires get a lot of negative comments. But I have not yet complied a list of suitable alternatives. If I recall correctly, I went to the TireRack site and found only one tire that was recommended. Perhaps I overlooked something. My pass tire experiences have been only with the popular names.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

No the a-spec is more firm and stiff which cause the car less bouncy and with faster damping response. The stock tsx has the feel of my old lude with just lowering spring but after the a-spec, it has exactly same feel as my E46 when it go through any pothole, bump, manhole and rough road. The car is stiffer but feel way more comfortable!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't see the review on here so here it is if anyone cares.

Highs: Engine and transmission, handling, driving position, controls, fit and finish, crash-test results.
Lows: Ride, turning circle, requires premium fuel.

The Acura TSX is a well-rounded package that provides a good mix of performance, sportiness, and luxurious amenities. It's not as exciting to drive as the best sports sedans, but it is agile and adequately roomy. The powertrain is very smooth, and the four-cylinder engine provides good fuel economy. The interior has intuitive controls and impressive fit and finish, but the ride is a bit too firm.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

The TSX has a taut ride, with fairly pronounced impacts. Ride motions are short and quick, making the car a bit jittery, but the highway ride is more composed. Engine and wind noise are muted, but tire rumble is pronounced on some coarse surfaces. The TSX is more nimble than some competing models, such as the Audi A4 and Volvo S40, but not quite as agile as, say, the Subaru Legacy GT. The TSX's steering is responsive, communicative, and well-weighted. The car has little body lean in corners, but its 40-foot turning circle is a bit wide. On our handling course, the TSX was secure and predictable at its limits, helped by its standard electronic stability control (ESC). It posted a fast speed in our avoidance maneuver. The 200-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine revs smoothly and provides adequate performance, while delivering 23 mpg overall on premium fuel. The five-speed automatic transmission shifts very smoothly and has a manual shift feature. Braking performance was very good overall. The HID low beams reach a limited distance and have a sharp visual cutoff that can further reduce their range on undulations. The halogen high beams reach a long distance and have very good intensity.

INSIDE THE CABIN

The TSX has a nicely detailed, well-assembled cabin consisting of quality materials. The tilt and telescoping steering wheel helps all drivers find a comfortable driving position with good visibility. The interior is a bit snug. The power seats are firm and supportive, but some drivers needed more lower-back support. The rear seats offer sufficient leg room but lack thigh support. Access to the front seats is very easy, but the low roof impedes rear access. The controls are logically placed and lighted at night, and the navigation system is very intuitive. Reaching the dimmer control is a bit difficult. Cabin storage is modest. There are two sturdy cup holders in front and a sturdy flip-down pair in the rear. The 60/40-split rear seats fold to expand the trunk.

SAFETY NOTES

Side-impact air bags housed in the front seatbacks and curtain-type head-protection air bags that extend from the headliner to protect front and rear outboard passengers are both standard in the TSX. They supplement dual-stage front air bags and 3-point front seatbelts equipped with adjustable anchors for improved fit and pretensioners to reduce belt slack in the event of a crash. Sensors in the front passenger seat detect the position and size of the front passenger and will disable the side air bags for that seat if they detect a child or someone leaning sideways into the path of the air bag's deployment. Rear passengers all have a 3-point belts. There are adjustable and locking head restraints in the outboard seats that are tall enough even when fully down to reduce rearward head travel and limit whiplash injuries. The center rear seat lacks a head restraint and the seatback is too low. Driving with kids: It may prove difficult to install rear-facing child seats securely in the rear center as they can tilt easily or have side-to-side movement. Belts anchored forward of the bolster in the outboard rear positions may also make it hard to secure some rear-facing seats and LATCH may prove to be more secure. Front-facing seats should be secure in the appropriate passenger positions. There are three tether strap attachment anchors under covers on the rear parcel shelf and LATCH anchors in the rear outboard seats. The LATCH anchors are recessed, making them awkward to get to; they are slightly offset toward the center seat, which causes the seats to sit at a slight angle on the center seat hump.

RELIABILITY

We expect reliability to be better than average, according to our latest subscriber survey.

Copyright © 2000-2004 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Guess I will be looking for better tires. The OEM tires get a lot of negative comments. But I have not yet complied a list of suitable alternatives. If I recall correctly, I went to the TireRack site and found only one tire that was recommended. Perhaps I overlooked something. My pass tire experiences have been only with the popular names.
I dont think the OEM tires are that bad for all seasons. But compared to performance/summer tires they are bad.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Not an Ashtray

BTW, CR reported a dismal 0-60 of 9.2 seconds for the 5AT TSX. That is slightly slower than the USDM Accord they tested a few months ago.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rivvin
Alright another good review for the TSX! Over at is300.net, I read a couple threads where they're basically looking down on us for owning this "$30,000 accord 4 banger pos" and saying how we're using magazines to prove our worth....blah blah blah. Can anybody say jealous? If there are a lot of reviews for the TSX and basically all good then there must be something about this car that's WORTH IT.

If you want to read the threads just do a search for TSX...lots of negativity over there.
why would a IS owner be jealous of a TSX owner???? it's like a ferrari owner jealous of a kia owner. and you really do drive a 4 banger FWD 4 door 3300lb accord that cost 30k
Old 10-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by gilboman
why would a IS owner be jealous of a TSX owner???? it's like a ferrari owner jealous of a kia owner. and you really do drive a 4 banger FWD 4 door 3300lb accord that cost 30k
Old 10-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Wow, gilbo comes out of the woodwork with a duzy.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by gilboman
So now a IS300 is a Ferrari compared to the TSX in the role of a Kia, ae you fawking kidding me?

Gilbo, you can be fun to have around and at times make good arguments but then you come out and throw posts like that out.

I vote for a 2 month ban, that statement was just too much for me to take.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by domn
I vote for a 2 month ban, that statement was just too much for me to take.

At least he doesn't send 'mixed messages'!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by briny319
The TSX is more nimble than some competing models, such as the Audi A4 and Volvo S40, but not quite as agile as, say, the Subaru Legacy GT.
I wonder if the Legacy owners will now say that CR is the enthusiast's mag of choice, since C&D is for SUV-driving soccer moms and all
Old 10-01-2004, 08:22 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I wonder if the Legacy owners will now say that CR is the enthusiast's mag of choice, since C&D is for SUV-driving soccer moms and all

Starnge that CR would come up with that since both the other tests felt the TSX was far nimbler?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Photography Nerd

I'd love to see CR do a review of the Elise.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I'd love to see CR do a review of the Elise.
"Rear seat accommodations were lacking. No LATCH system is in place, and our reviewers had a hard time packing their Geritrol in the small trunk."
Old 10-01-2004, 09:32 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fdl
IJim there are tons of threads on the a-spec package. It lowers the ride height very sligtly (1 cm i think).
I think you mean 1" which is about 25.4mm.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:36 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

The reason Tirerack only shows the one tire is because it is hung up on (incorrectly I believe) the XL load rating that the OEM tires have. As I understand it, the XL load rating is really a Euro spec so that's why you don't see many US tires listing it. There are several good alternatives out there if you just search by size.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

gilbo =
Old 10-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by STL
I think you mean 1" which is about 25.4cm.
or 2.54cm
Old 10-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

Good review and IMO right to the heart of the avg consumer. Personally I don't think the right is stiff but I'm more sport oriented than most. Their 0-60 ir right where my pant-o-meter was when I drove the auto, it is definitely slow compared to the TL. The manual is much quicker and fun to drive though still slower than an auto TL. They test the automatics only since thats what 90% of drivers want anyway. I'm certain that it would have beat the 325 too if it had been in the mix. Overall it beat all luxo 4 bangers which is no surprise since like most Honda products its overall excellence seems to be more than the sum of its parts. Acura did a wonderful job in filling the niche below the TL with the TSX. Can't wait to give some seat time to the RL and see how the top end of the brand finally gets a worthy vehicle. This is going to be a great model cycle for the entire Acura line up. Lexus MB and BMW are going to have to fight very hard for market share in the next couple of years!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Hondaholic

I measured my A-Spec kit and got exactly 1.25" front and rear.

Or 31.75mm.......................

Or 3.175 centimeters...........

Okay, that's enough .....
Old 10-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Not an Ashtray

BTW, as far as the Legacy GT is concerned, CR actually said it did better than the TSX in most regards. Far quicker, better ride, and better routine handling. The Legacy got downgraded for bad emergency handling (too much oversteer) and dismal MPG (18 mpg overall - SUV like numbers).

Is anybody else suprrised that 1) The 0-60 was not a tad quicker, 2) CR liked TSX's brakes?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:52 PM
aka davo-tsx

Originally Posted by darth62
BTW, CR reported a dismal 0-60 of 9.2 seconds for the 5AT TSX. That is slightly slower than the USDM Accord they tested a few months ago.
9.2 seconds??? I wouldn't have expected it to be that slow. I figured it would be .5 to maybe 1.0 seconds slower than the 6-speed at least. Not nearly 2 seconds slower!!

Here are some 0-60 numbers from the 6-speed I've found.
Auto Week : 7.38 seconds
Car and Driver : 7.2 seconds
Car and Driver (test 2) : 6.6 seconds
Motor Trend : 7.9 seconds
Motor Trend (test 2) : 7.5 seconds

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Latest Article TSX Reviewed!!!