Considering black, hard to take care of?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering black, hard to take care of?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a black/parchment TSX. I haven't seen the car in person yet and am wondering how difficult it will be to keep the black clean and swirl free. I've had black cars before and have found that some are easier to keep swirl free than others due to shade, metallic or not, etc.. Sometimes hand washing/buffing was needed. I do a lot of traveling with my job so hand washes will be very few and far in between. I'll mostly be hitting commercial washes. Does anyone have this combo and have any input? I did a search but am looking for more opinions from others who may have had the TSX for a while. Thanks for any input,

Scott
Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know its funny, black is usually a popular color but I have not seen one black TSX on the road, nor can I remember one member who posted a pic of their black TSX. It seems to be quite rare.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply,

Here's just a few links that I dug up here:
http://www.pbase.com/ebcheon/justine

http://homepage.mac.com/paulieparker/PhotoAlbum14.html

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...ight=black+tsx

The car looks great in black.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:20 PM
9th Gear

Black - nice but no

I went with the satan silver...my last car was black and looked great when clean but it was a killer to keep clean. Black also shows scratches easier than others. If you like washing and waxing often then go for it. I had had enough and I'm very satisfied with this silver. I can go weeks without a wash and it still looks shinny clean.

Good luck, whatever color you choose, the TSX is worth every penny.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

The black is stunning when it is clean - although it is hard to keep clean. I love the contrast between the red of the taillights and the black of the back end, as well as the contrast of the front grill and the front lights with the black front end. I also much prefer the Parchment interior to the Ebony. The perforated leather really stands out on the seats, but it does show dirt more. The black seems easy to get clean, but like I said difficult to keep clean. I think you should go with the colour you like best and do what you have to to keep it as clean as you want. Besides like fdl says there are precious few black TSX's. I have yet to see another on the road in Toronto in almost three months.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:14 AM
Instructor

I agree, it looks really nice in black.

Black is the ultimate color, when clean, but a major PITA to keep clean.

Touchless car washes ae the way to go, but never dry the car off after one with a towel, etc... as it will guarantee swirls, etc...

I have had three black cars and everytime I get one I swear it will be the last, and then the magic draws me back in.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:26 AM
Banned

I've owned 4 black cars and one dark blue!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:02 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those 5 minutes that black is clean, its the nicest looking color.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:01 AM
Banned

three words:

California Car Duster
Old 12-31-2003, 02:33 AM
Instructor

all my car so far have been black and it is hard to keep clean, I try and clean mine at least once week with a pressure jet (at a nearby wash center) a lot easier than washing by hand when you live on a 5th floor apartment and better for the car than the bristles of a car wash.

Ernie
http://www.eazi-k.com/car/ - my euro accord
Old 12-31-2003, 04:29 AM
bleh...

The TSX looks nice in black, but I thought it would be hard to maintain since it can get dirty or dirt is more noticable.

Type S your Accord Euro looks beautiful in that picture.

When I bought my TSX I originally wanted Carbon Grey, but I opted for the Artic Blue because I thought it would be the most unique color of the TSX and I didn't have to wait 3-5 months to get one. I don't see any AB TSXs around here besides mines.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by fdl
You know its funny, black is usually a popular color but I have not seen one black TSX on the road, nor can I remember one member who posted a pic of their black TSX. It seems to be quite rare.
I have seen quite a few. The only color I've never seen is blue.

Taking care of it sucks, but I like the black/parchment look a lot. I use a touchless car wash every 1-2 weeks in the winter and wash by hand in the warmer months.

my tsx: http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2040&page=4

(man that other site is dead)
Old 12-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'm going to go ahead and get the black/parchment TSX. While I like the ebony interior(very sporty), the parchment looks/feels more spacious and luxurious IMO. I actually like the wood strip look better than the aluminum. I was also considering a silver/ebony TSX but I just got my wife a silver 04 Honda Odyssey and wanted something different. I have had silver cars before and agree that color is the easiest to take care of. I know it's popular but IMO, I'd put the CG as my 3 possibly 4th(behind white?) choice. I wish they had the TL green pearl available on the TSX. That's a very nice color.

Thanks again for the input, I'm excited about getting my new TSX.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:03 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Considering black, hard to take care of?

Originally posted by AsahiToro
I'm about to pull the trigger on a black/parchment TSX. I haven't seen the car in person yet and am wondering how difficult it will be to keep the black clean and swirl free. I've had black cars before and have found that some are easier to keep swirl free than others due to shade, metallic or not, etc.. Sometimes hand washing/buffing was needed. I do a lot of traveling with my job so hand washes will be very few and far in between. I'll mostly be hitting commercial washes. Does anyone have this combo and have any input? I did a search but am looking for more opinions from others who may have had the TSX for a while. Thanks for any input,

Scott
go ahead and pull the trigger. i love black cars. can't get away from them either.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:04 AM
Advanced

I have the Black/ W Ebony Interior and it is stunning, i am maticulous about mycar being clean and looks very luxurious, depends on the person, if your a lazy Slob then your SOL,
But balck definitely looks the best when Cleaned and that black leather cant beat it
Old 12-31-2003, 09:50 AM

I love my black car. It's more difficult to maintain this time of year in the midwest but that's ok for me. I have owned mostly black cars so I'm used to it. Crazytree is right, get a car duster.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
Type S your Accord Euro looks beautiful in that picture.
thanks ....its the only black one in town as well, there seem to be a lot of blue ones thou

Ernie
Old 12-31-2003, 01:03 PM
TSX Owner

Choosing the Acura TSX among the dozen or so other makes and models I test drove last month was easy, my toughest decision was color. I read through everything on the net related to car color: popularity, maintenance difficulty, psychological impact, blah, blah, blah. Basically it came down to what I liked. I liked both the silver and the black exteriors (I'd never had either before), but I really wanted the parchment interior. Therefore, black was the winner.

I got the black w/parchment, and we love it! My wife still comments every time she gets in the car about how we made the right decision (both about the TSX and the color combination). Sure black shows dirt a little. It's a car, it's outside. Every other color would acquire the same amount of dirt, the black just lives honestly and doesn't hide it. It's good for it to get a good bath once in a while.

Be sure to get the black all-season floor mats with the parchment interior.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by gcolby03
I read through everything on the net related to car color: popularity, maintenance difficulty, psychological impact, blah, blah, blah.
I'd love to know what they have to say about the 'psychological impact' of one's car color Got a link??

Be sure to get the black all-season floor mats with the parchment interior.
I've been thinking about doing this too... those parchment carpeted floor mats don't cut it in the winter.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Racer

i have a 1.6 EL in black.. when is clean.. is the best colour for EL. But it is also very eay to get dirty. and must dry the car as soon as you can.. i don;t like TSX in black and i don't know why.. but you the one who pay the price and it is your car.. if you like black.. go for it.. and you might be a eyes catcher.. cause few TSX on the road and fewer TSX in black.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:14 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Black = the best color (for 10 minutes)

Black = swirl marks galore

Black = always looks dirty

I had a black Sentra SE before... Nothing like black after a fresh wax job (or under the rain)... You have to live in a bubble for it to look always nice.

Regards
Old 12-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Instructor

i have a black TSX, and working 100 hr weeks doesn't leave much tim efor washing the car. swirl marks are inevitable in a black car. mine has it. it does show dirt fast, but when clean, it can't be beat. good luck with your new tsx.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:35 AM
TSX Owner

Originally posted by jcg878
I'd love to know what they have to say about the 'psychological impact' of one's car color Got a link??
I did some random browsing related to car color one day when I was deciding on my purchase. Here's a sampling:

http://www.usaweekend.com/02_issues/...21020cars.html
http://www.womanmotorist.com/index.p...302/event=view
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...ide/colors.asp

And more recently:

Yahoo International Automotive Survey results:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...27&newsLang=en

Car color and safety, British Medical Journal
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/reprint/327/7429/1455

Dupont 2003 Automotive Color Popularity Report
http://www.automotive.dupont.com/en/...e20031208.html

In the end, it was all irrelevant to me. I knew I wanted the parchment interior, and that left me with white, red, or black; I didn't want want white or red, so there it was. Very happy with the black/parchment combo on the TSX.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by gcolby03

In the end, it was all irrelevant to me. I knew I wanted the parchment interior, and that left me with white, red, or black; I didn't want want white or red, so there it was. Very happy with the black/parchment combo on the TSX.
Same thinking here. To get the parchment interior, black is my preference over white or red.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Avoid black. PITA to maintain. I always buy light colored (except one Mistake)
Old 01-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Black - nice but no

Originally posted by Lorog1992
I went with the satan silver...
"satan" silver??!! :devil:
Yikes...
Old 01-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I, too, am about to purchase the black..thanks to everyone for the opinions..I did want to mention that at the TSX meet in Chicago back in Aug(?) there were several black TSXs if memory serves. The car looks amazing when it's clean, and I too, agree that it gets dirty fast, but so what?! There's fun in cleaning it and it looks so good when you're done that it's worth it!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by SaraWI
I, too, am about to purchase the black..
Nice choice. When?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, it depends..I was gonna post to ask if anyone knows when the 2005's are coming out. I know I will probably have to order the combo that I want and I figured by now I might was well wait for the 05's if they are coming out in April like the 04's did. Otherwise, I'll be purchasing my TSX when I sell one of my other cars. There's a good question, too-does anyone have advice on the best way to sell a car? Newspaper? As you can see, I have a few things to settle before I can pick up my new black beauty. Any advice would be apprciated!!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Banned

Once you've had black, you won't go back.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Yeah..

I'll be gettin a Black on Black one come May.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Considering black, hard to take care of?

Originally posted by AsahiToro

Scott
i have the exact same color package as your considering, i have owned 3 black cars and i have no regrets. if you know how to wash it and keep it waxed cleaning it and keeping it clean is no big deal. IMO i think black is the best looking color when clean. with tinted windows very stealthy looking.
the parchment interior i didnt really want but when you order a 6MT with NAV you take what is available if you dont want to wait.
the floor mats do get dirty easy and that pissed me off. i had a lot of dirt and oil stains in the floor mats but some simple green cleaner and a scrubbrush with a steam vac i use at home worked perfect and brought them back to new condition. you just have to be carefull to keep your shoes clean or put somthing down on the floor to protect the mats when its muddy out.

as for the color choice i liked the black on black i had in my 2001 TL and the dirt issue was much better on the inside but the parchment and wood trim look so much classier than the black and alum trim IMO.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by KJLite
i have a black TSX, and working 100 hr weeks doesn't leave much tim efor washing the car. swirl marks are inevitable in a black car. mine has it. it does show dirt fast, but when clean, it can't be beat. good luck with your new tsx.
you never get swirl marks if you use a random orbital buffer to apply and remove the wax.
also use a power washer to clean your car. scratch marks will show up more than other colors. if you wax the car every 3-6 months you will find the dirt wont stick to the paint as well and can be sprayed off with a pressure washer. always use a clean wash mitt and wash from the top down to the bottom. any dirt particles in the mitt will scratch the paint. you have to be very through in spraying all the hard dirt off the car first.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Banned

Black is beautiful.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Max
Racer

I have a Black/Parchment TSX and I absolutely love it- the combination gives it an even more professional and luxurious look, especially with the venier trim. Gonna be a bitch to clean, especially in college, but there's a carwash nearby that does a wash&wax for $8. Also bought the car cover so it doesn't get any grime on it when I'm parked.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys can you give me some reasons why you don't like the red/parchment combo? I'm going to be test driving a red one tomorrow and possibly buying one very soon, so I'm wondering if I should go with black/parchment instead.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 PM

I don't like red sedans. I also don't like the parchment interior. If that interior was the only choice red would be my last option.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

My last three cars have been Black. Here in Alabama, Black outside and Black inside is a killer in the summer even with window tinting. I like the way the black with parchment looks, so I bought it. Having a garage helps to keep it clean but then, I don't mind washing my car.

Black is beautiful baby!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ahitchev
Hey guys can you give me some reasons why you don't like the red/parchment combo? I'm going to be test driving a red one tomorrow and possibly buying one very soon, so I'm wondering if I should go with black/parchment instead.
i dont like red because they attract too much attention. and i agree on a 4 door it just doesnt fit.

also i have never seen any red color that didnt fade to some shade of light red or pink with time.

i dont care for white or silver either, my favorite colors are dark blue , black or a very dark gray metallic
Old 01-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Well, I saw a clean pearl white one yesterday and it looked very nice. It was early evening and it wasn't directly in the sun. Now, I'm confused if I want that color more than black. I still have time to change my mind. I'm in Florida and I'm wondering if white would be that much easier to maintain? My car won't be in a garage at all times and the hot sun is going to be rough on the black most likely. Dang, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for all the input.

Quick Reply: Considering black, hard to take care of?