Confused about oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Confused about oil change

Ok... a little confused about the maintenance here on my TSX.
I remember reading here about not changing the oil before 5000 miles on my TSX.
However...
I was going through the dealer "coupon" book for services. My first oil change is free. But the mileage interval says 3750 then (coupon void after 4500 mi.).
The dealer also put an oil change reminder sticker at the top left corner of my windshield that says 3750 oil change.

So then i start flipping through my owners manual for the maintenance schedule.
The chart on page 193 says oil and filter change every 10k mi. for normal conditions.

But then i flip to page 197 where it says "maintenance record" for me to record my maintenance and it's got a spot for my first oil change at 3750. ???

Then i took out the "maintenance journal" that came with my owners manual. Starting on page 8 the first box that allows you to record maintenance is at 10,000 miles. The intervals are also basically all 10,000 mile intervals.
One thing though...

The first box that says, @10,000 miles
"replace engine oil, rotate tires, reset maintenance indicator".

But then the 2nd box @20,000 miles says
"replace engine oil, rotate tires, replace engine oil filter, etc... etc..."

How come it doesn't say to replace oil filter @10,000? I thought you were supposed to replace the filter when you change the oil?

somebody please help!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Even the FAQ information center section says 10,000 mile intervals.
Does that mean i'm supposed to do my first oil change @ 10,000 miles?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm. I can see where it is confusing. The TSX maintenance intervals are either 5Kmi. (severe) or 10K mi. (normal) so I wouldn't change the oil every 3750. If you want to make sure you use your dealer's coupon then wait until almost 4500mi and do the oil change then. Kurt Bradley is a former service guy. I'm sure he'll be along to straighten things out.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlukja
Hmmm. I can see where it is confusing. The TSX maintenance intervals are either 5Kmi. (severe) or 10K mi. (normal) so I wouldn't change the oil every 3750. If you want to make sure you use your dealer's coupon then wait until almost 4500mi and do the oil change then. Kurt Bradley is a former service guy. I'm sure he'll be along to straighten things out.
So basically if the maintenance interval is 10,000 miles, then i should change my oil and filter every 10,000 miles correct? Even the first one?

According to the owners manual, i'm a "normal".
If the recommended interval is 10,000 miles, then there's no point in changing at 5000 right?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You've got it jlukja.

Also, while technically it does say you only have to change the filter every other oilchange, it's wise to change it every time you change your oil. I think most dealers will do the filter even though it's not required.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
So basically if the maintenance interval is 10,000 miles, then i should change my oil and filter every 10,000 miles correct? Even the first one?

According to the owners manual, i'm a "normal".
If the recommended interval is 10,000 miles, then there's no point in changing at 5000 right?
Correct.

Feel free to follow the severe schedule if you'd like, but there's nothing wrong with using the normal schedule if you qualify.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Apex Clipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, I still change both oil and filter every 3,500 to 4,000 miles. I also use Neo Synthetic, just to keep my baby happy...
Old 04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Correct.

Feel free to follow the severe schedule if you'd like, but there's nothing wrong with using the normal schedule if you qualify.
I followed the severe schedule for the first oil change. I figured that, while breaking in, the engine is gonna wear and hotspot more. So, I changed oil at 5000 mi. Next change will be at 10,000 (actually, I'm due now) and I'll use Mobil 1. After that I figure to just change it every 10K (synthetic and normal driving should be OK for this interval). Just my
Old 04-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Canyonball
Just to be on the safe side, I still change both oil and filter every 3,500 to 4,000 miles. I also use Neo Synthetic, just to keep my baby happy...
yeah right and piss off the environment and your wallet :shakehead
That "baby" of yours is just a machine made with metals and it aint got no feelings for you.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
nzk
Advanced

i tend to DIY on most my vehicles, so if i change my own oil at 5K then how do reset the maintenance indicator?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Teh seX

Originally Posted by Canyonball
I also use Neo Synthetic, just to keep my baby happy...
same here..
Old 04-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Racer

You have every right to be confused. The service managers, and technicians, at the Acura dealerships need to take time to read the owner's manual and service manual for the TSX.

The TSX, and I presume the K24 engine, are relatively new models for the Acura dealerships. And, apparently, previous Acura engines had a recommended oil change interval of 3,750 miles -- perhaps Honda, as well. Those that should know better apparently have not read what Acura has to say about the oil change interval for the TSX. That causes me to have a loss of confidence and makes we wonder what will happen when an extensive procedure is required.

How, here are my strong recommendations. While the car is under warranty,
change your oil, AND FILTER, every 5000-6000 miles; regardless if you are "normal" or "severe". Follow this interval even if you use a fully synthetic oil such as Mobile 1 or AMSOIL. This will help ensure that there are no challenges to the warranty if you engine happens to need major work.

Note that the useful life of engine oil is a factor of not only the engine design, but also the quality, and design, of the oil. The latter is something that Acura has no control over. And, some, if not many, manufactures of oil will clearly tell you that their oil is not designed for 10,000 miles -- in ANY car. Perhaps, they just want to sell more oil. But, I would rather be safe.

Now, once you car is out of warranty, I would say you that are well protected at 10,000 mile, or 1 year (whichever occurs first), intervals if you use an oil designed for a 15,000 to 25,000 mile interval.

In summary:

1) Change your oil every 5,000-6,000 miles for the first 50,000 miles.
2) Then, switch to 10,000-11,000 mile intervals IF, and ONLY IF, you use a fully synthetic oil designed, and rated, for 15,000+ miles.

Note that some oil manufactures are now selling synthetic blends that have specs. that do not appear, at least to me, to be much better that some oils that are 100 percent dino. Pay attention to the specs., ratings, and service life of any oil that you use; including the oil that any dealership puts in your car. AMSOIL makes an oil called "Extended Life". It has a rated service life of 7,500 miles.

At my first oil change, I purchased the new GTX "First-Start" oil and took it to the dealership and asked them to return the empty bottles to me. I had them in a plastic shoe box from Rubber Mate; along with a oil filter and crush washer. I am considering switching to either Mobile 1, or the best oil from AMSOIL, at 10,000 miles. If the car was leased, or I didn't plan to keep it over 5 years, I would probably avoid the higher cost of synthetic oil and stay with dino oil.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:43 PM
nzk
Advanced

still confused....how do i reset the maintenance indicator?
if i change my oil myself, will acura void my warranty because i didnt take it to a shop to have it done (reciept for proof)??
Old 04-26-2005, 06:48 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nzk
i tend to DIY on most my vehicles, so if i change my own oil at 5K then how do reset the maintenance indicator?
i dont have mine in front of me but its in there.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:53 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nzk
still confused....how do i reset the maintenance indicator?
if i change my oil myself, will acura void my warranty because i didnt take it to a shop to have it done (reciept for proof)??
here you go:

Originally Posted by http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Warranty/warr_faqs.asp
If I have my maintenance services performed by someone other than an Acura dealer, will my warranty be voided?

Not if the maintenance is performed properly. The only way your warranty may be affected is if it can be shown that misuse or improper (or lack of) maintenance caused or contributed to the malfunction.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Is it better to go with synthetic oil? What is the difference?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matelot
yeah right and piss off the environment and your wallet :shakehead
That "baby" of yours is just a machine made with metals and it aint got no feelings for you.
:dog:
Old 04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

grrrrmm, gotta go the 10k service very soon then
Old 04-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I followed the severe schedule for the first oil change. I figured that, while breaking in, the engine is gonna wear and hotspot more. So, I changed oil at 5000 mi. Next change will be at 10,000 (actually, I'm due now) and I'll use Mobil 1. After that I figure to just change it every 10K (synthetic and normal driving should be OK for this interval). Just my
Hey jlukja, are you willing to take part of an oil test? I like to work with real data, and am very curious what happens to the oil after 10k miles. What if I paid for the oil analysis test and all you have to do is to share the info with us, like driving habit, weather temp and things like that. What do you think? It's cheaper than my dyno runs.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html
Old 04-26-2005, 09:50 PM
TSX Newbie

Hello...I just arrived here myself (new TSX owner for all of 2 weeks ). If you have access to the Ownerlink site, under "Maintenance FAQ's", they have the following question and response:

"Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?"

"Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

"American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

PS: Justed wanted to say "thanks" for all the great advice you all have been sharing...This is my first Acura and I really am loving it.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JTso
Hey jlukja, are you willing to take part of an oil test? I like to work with real data, and am very curious what happens to the oil after 10k miles. What if I paid for the oil analysis test and all you have to do is to share the info with us, like driving habit, weather temp and things like that. What do you think? It's cheaper than my dyno runs.

Sure, why not. Are you talking about 10K miles on Mobil 1? Because I've already done the standard dealer oil change at 5K miles and I'm at 10,230 now.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, a 10K miles Mobil 1 test would be good. The next question is which Mobil 1 as they just came out with new formulas. Just let me know your paypal address and I will send the money for the test.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Team Owner

Yeah, a 10K miles Mobil 1 test would be good. The next question is which Mobil 1 as they just came out with new formulas. Just let me know your paypal address and I will send the money for the test.
At the rate I put miles on my TSX I won't have 10,000 miles with Mobil1 until around December and maybe later.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

I bet sauceman can do it in 2 months.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Drifting

I happen to put more mileage on my mileage than jlukja.
If you would like. I can do the test this way we can get quicker results.
But that's up to you two. I'm not trying to steal spotlight. Just making an offer.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Originally Posted by Diego TSX

"Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?"

"Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

"American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."…
Hmm, I am at 5200 miles right now and was going to get it changed this week. Maybe I’ll hold off and do it at my 10K maintenance.

If you are interested in testing the break-in oil after 10K miles, assuming my dealer will give me a sample, and you’ll pay for the analysis, I’ll play along.

I’ve had my car less than 3 months, so I’ll prolly be at 10K by 8/1.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mega
Hmm, I am at 5200 miles right now and was going to get it changed this week. Maybe I’ll hold off and do it at my 10K maintenance.
If you are interested in testing the break-in oil after 10K miles, assuming my dealer will give me a sample, and you’ll pay for the analysis, I’ll play along.

I’ve had my car less than 3 months, so I’ll prolly be at 10K by 8/1.

i think you would want to take that oil out, considering it wasnt made to last in the engine that long. also none of us will be using the break in engine oil any longer either....so
Old 04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

I happen to put more mileage on my mileage than jlukja.
If you would like. I can do the test this way we can get quicker results.
But that's up to you two. I'm not trying to steal spotlight. Just making an offer.
I feel impinged upon.

j/k

The purpose of the offer was to get the oil tested. I can offer up my used oil for testing when I get there but, by all means, if you will have a sample quicker then go for it. I think we'd all be interested in how Mobil1 tests after 10K miles vs. how reguar oil tests. Feel free to make arrangements with JTso.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

jlukja, I think the time for you to put on 10k miles is more in line with most people's driving (city and freeway) to better represent wear and tear on the oil, instead of mostly freeway driving that racks up the miles quickly. Just let me know when you have reached the next 10K mark with Mobil 1 and we can take care of the testing arrangement.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

jlukja, I think the time for you to put on 10k miles is more in line with most people's driving (city and freeway) to better represent wear and tear on the oil, instead of mostly freeway driving that racks up the miles quickly. Just let me know when you have reached the next 10K mark with Mobil 1 and we can take care of the testing arrangement.
Deal. I'm going on vacation but will make an appointment for an oil change (put in Mobil1) sometime mid-late May. 10,000 miles later will be sometime December or early 2006. (of course if i get hondata that may come sooner ).
Old 04-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Drifting

So... conclusion... i can probably go the 10,000 mile interval witht he mobil 1.
But do i want until 10,000 miles until my first change? Or just go in at around 5000 to get the dealers free oil change?

I'm "normal" schedule.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:12 AM
7th Gear

First Oil Change

You should get your first oil changed at 5000. That is what my dealer told me and they are the number one Acura dealer in Missouri.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:34 PM
nzk
Advanced

Originally Posted by virus7
i dont have mine in front of me but its in there.

what does that mean? what dont you have in front of you?
Old 04-28-2005, 07:42 PM
send me a link to JDM??

The manual...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

So... conclusion... i can probably go the 10,000 mile interval witht he mobil 1.
But do i want until 10,000 miles until my first change? Or just go in at around 5000 to get the dealers free oil change?

I'm "normal" schedule.
That's been debated left and right. Although I'm hard pressed to remember any member waiting 10,000 mi. before the first oil change. I changed mine at 5,000 (not saying its right or wrong, its just what I chose to do).
Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Drifting

Oh yea, and i just remembered something for JTso.
There's actually been a test done on Amsoil and Mobil1 after it's been left in there a year and there have been tests done by blackstone labs every 3000 miles.

Here's the link.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Alin10123, Thanks for the link. It has some very interesting info. Got to go to bed now, will finish reading tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Alin10123, Thanks for the link. It has some very interesting info. Got to go to bed now, will finish reading tomorrow.
Did ya finish reading it? What'd ya think?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, I've finished reading it. They have done so many oil analysis and collected so much data. It makes my single test attempt seem useless.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
o-qua tangin wann

i change it ever 3000 or 4000 b/c i drive it like such an asshole

always synthetic too

Quick Reply: Confused about oil change