Complaint about a HORRIBLE dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Complaint about a HORRIBLE dealer.

This post is probably going to be pretty long so I will bold the key parts for those of you who don't care to read all of the details.
This Complaint about Hillside Acura.

I bought my TSX in April 2003 from Rallye Acura. I have had my car serviced by them from that time until June 2004. In June 04 I went with my uncle to buy his tsx. He wanted to buy it from Hillside Acura. While there we were talking to the manager and got to talking about how I have a tsx and don't have it serviced there because they only give loaners to customers who bought from them. So he tells me he will put me in the computer as a customer so I can get a loaner and will even give me a free oil change to try out their service dept. I thought this was really nice and it would be great that I could get a loaner from them since they are 5 miles from my house.

In July of 04 I made an appt to have a 30k mile service with Hillside Acura and to get a loaner car. I get there before 9am and start filling out the loaner car forms when the guy tells me he can't give me a loaner because I am under 25 and there insurance doesn't allow them go give loaners to people under 25. At this point I was getting annoyed because I always get one at Rallye Acura and I view not getting a loaner due to age as age discrimination. So I proceed to tell him that in NY you can't deny someone a rental if they are over 18. So he says ok, I will call enterprise and rent you a car. Enterprise came and picked me up and when they found out I was under 25 they told me "I'm sorry sir, we can't rent you a car today. We need 24 hours notice so that we can check your driving record before hand." Enterprise took my back to Hillside Acura. I told the guy I would wait for the service to be finished if he deducted the cost of what they would have had to pay off for a rental from my service. He said he couldn't do that, but when I said I would take my car to Rallye Acura where I would get my loaner he quickly changed his mind. So I wait around until 11:30am when they are done with my car. The advisor tells me he ordered a replacement leather cover for my drivers seat and it would be in soon (the leather wore to quickly). I take my keys and thank the service advisor for attempting to work with me to make the situation right. As I headed home I kept hearing funny noises coming from my engine. I went home looked under the hood went for another drive. I heard the noise again a few minutes later so I drove back to Hillside Acura. It was now 12:30pm and EVERYONE in the service dept was out for lunch until 1:30pm. So I took my car for a drive as I wait for them to return. During this drive I was able to pin point that the noise started when I kept the engine between 3000 and 3500rpms. 1:30pm rolls around and the service advisor returns from lunch and I explain the problem. He said that's impossible but would go for a ride with me. I showed him when I reached 3000rpms the noise started. He confirmed he certainly heard a problem and we returned to Hillside Acura where a service tech started looking at my car. An hour later at 2:30pm the advisor returns and tells me the previous tech who did my 30k service didn't properly tighten the bolts/screws that hold the cover to the engines air filter and it was rattling under the hood. I said fine and thanked him for correcting this and left.

At this point I am very annoyed but figured I was just having a bad day. Later that same day I look under my hood and notice a lot of antifreeze all over. The reserve tank was down to low. I am assuming someone at hillside didn't tighten it when they replaced the antifreeze as part of my 30k service. I cleaned up some of it but left it on the areas I couldn't reach like the fans.

2 weeks later I get a call from the parts dept at Hillside Acura and they tell me my part is in. I ask if I could wait a few weeks until I need an oil change and they tell me no problem.

6 weeks later I call up for an appt and was told the first appt was in 3 weeks. I make an appt and ask if I can drop off the car at 11am. I was told no because it would take a while to work on the seat so they need it there by 9am.

3 weeks later I go in for my appt. I drop the car off at 8:40am. At 2:30pm I get a call from lojack alerting me my car was moved (I have lojack with early warning and didn't give the dealer by key fob) I get another call around 3pm from Hillside Acura,they need to keep my car overnight. I asked why and was told they didn't get to finish my car. I said no I want my car back today I need it for tomorrow. I asked if they could work until they closed and the service advisor told me he would see what they could get done and would call me back later to tell me what they couldn't get done and when to pick it up. After the call I started to think back to when I called to make my appt and was told the car needs to be there before 9am. I started getting annoyed so I decided to drive over to Hillside Acura to discuss it with them.

When I got there i started discussing things with the advisor. He tells me they didn't have time to work on my seat. I asked what time they started working on the car. He replied he didn't know but it was after 10:30-11 because that was when it was dropped off. I told him it was here before 9am. He told me he didn't want to argue about it because he wasn't 100% sure when it came in. I asked how long they worked on the car. He again didn't have an answer. I told him I wasn't happy with this situation and that when an appt is made mainly for a seat replacement wouldn't that be the first thing you work on? I also explained to him that I wrote a note to the service advisor the car was dropped off with reminding him of my day of hell from the last time I had a service done there and that I hoped this service would be better. I explained that doesn't common sense tell you that when you piss a customer off one time you should make it a point not to piss them off a second time. He explained that people are on vacation and that people who wait for service take priority over drop offs. I said well just let me pay for this oil change and that I am never coming here again. He then listed every other Acura dealer in the area that I could go to if I wasn't happy with them. I paid and then left.

When I reached my car I decided this was complete BS. I spent 30k on a car. Where is my "Total Luxury Care" like it says on the window. So I call American Honda. I tell the guy my whole story and he says he will file a complaint. I tell him fine but I also want to talk to the district manager or a manager from the corporate office. He said I would get a call back within 48hrs.

Today I get a voice mail from a case mgr. at Honda. By the time I got back to her she left for the day so I will call her back tomorrow. Today I also went to Rallye Acura to have them order me a new leather cover for my seat. Later, I open my trunk and here the hinge scraping against something in the trunk. I look and notice that Hillside Acura some clips that hold on the trunk lining and it is just hanging off. The service tech from hillside was in the trunk performing the recall work that involved the tail lights and rear wire harness.

Now I am even more pissed. I bought a car from Hondas "luxury" division If I wanted to get jerked around by a dealer and have them cause even more problems to my car I would have bought a damn KIA.

Well, that is the end of my story for now. I feel this dealer sucks and don't recommend them. If I am unsuccessful with my complaints to America Honda I will move on to the BBB and anyone else who will listen.

Any suggestions on who to complain to and how?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:15 PM
6 speed yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn....i wouldn't have gone there the 2nd time. tell them to throw some accesory in for free. i always do that. lol gotten 2 free accesories from acura
Old 09-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I was reluctant to go back a second time. But I figured they ordered the seat part under warranty and maybe it was just a bad day for them and for me. I was pissed but didn't bother complaining here or to honda because I thought it was a one time things. Oviously they just suck...
Old 09-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Master in Science

The BBB is your best option. The dealer might be willing to refund you the cost of the services (ie 30k service) to clear up the issue(s).

I doubt that Honda will do much.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
6 speed yo!

ha ya. i dont go to my local dealer only because there discrimanating me by my age. they would just talk really briefly and fast when i asked about the tsx. so when my friend went to get his 05 RSX i went with him and took my car (a week ago) got the same sales guy and saw my car new plates from another acura dealer. made him think twice.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tsxhondatuner
ha ya. i dont go to my local dealer only because there discrimanating me by my age. they would just talk really briefly and fast when i asked about the tsx. so when my friend went to get his 05 RSX i went with him and took my car (a week ago) got the same sales guy and saw my car new plates from another acura dealer. made him think twice.
lol
Old 09-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slo007
The BBB is your best option. The dealer might be willing to refund you the cost of the services (ie 30k service) to clear up the issue(s).

I doubt that Honda will do much.
Yea thats a good idea. I was just thinking that after I posted. I was trying to think of how I would like the situation rectified since just filing a complaint isnt enough. I think a refund of every penny I ever gave that dealer would be acceptable 30k service and the oil change from the second time. EST $250.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Do you get a loaner car from where u bought ur car?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:55 PM
6 speed yo!

i havent had my car for a month yet so i dunno. when i bought it me and my parents were upset cause they gave us a runaround for a week (we have the car, we dont have the car) cause i had to dealer locate it so he said that he'll hook me up with a loaner car. so we'll see in 8k miles when i take it there lol
Old 09-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Instructor

Dam that sucks. Personally, I wouldn't have gone back. The first time is it for me! Yep, you should go to BBB, someone needs to know. Well, hopefully they treated other people the same way and they're doing the same thing you are and with any luck, they will get what they deserve.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Tuxedo Cat

i havent had my car for a month yet so i dunno. when i bought it me and my parents were upset cause they gave us a runaround for a week (we have the car, we dont have the car) cause i had to dealer locate it so he said that he'll hook me up with a loaner car. so we'll see in 8k miles when i take it there lol
If you're really 17, I wouldn't bet on a loaner.

Not in California anyway.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:19 AM
6 speed yo!

ya im 17.i know, but that was the manager talking so we'll see. i have to drive an hour to get there so they better do something. its in Marin so people around there are loaded with money so maybe they do things differently.

and if they dont give me a loaner ill just ask "the courtesy shuttle" to drive me home real quick (hour away) haha
this dealer has hella parts. there shop has skunk2, mugen, they got exhaust and intakes just hanging on the walls. its kinda cool. a new car dealer that is like a performance shop also.
a lot of there RSX's come with type r spoilers, oem kits etc... and they have like atleast 2-3 tsx's with oem kits in at a time. when i picked my car up they had the new nsx... $89,000 msrp. its nice. ya srry im random ha
Old 09-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Tuxedo Cat

ya im 17.i know, but that was the manager talking so we'll see. i have to drive an hour to get there so they better do something. its in Marin so people around there are loaded with money so maybe they do things differently.

and if they dont give me a loaner ill just ask "the courtesy shuttle" to drive me home real quick (hour away) haha
this dealer has hella parts. there shop has skunk2, mugen, they got exhaust and intakes just hanging on the walls. its kinda cool. a new car dealer that is like a performance shop also.
a lot of there RSX's come with type r spoilers, oem kits etc... and they have like atleast 2-3 tsx's with oem kits in at a time. when i picked my car up they had the new nsx... $89,000 msrp. its nice. ya srry im random ha
Good luck.

In my experience, what the sales manager says and what the service manager actually does are different things.

BTC
Old 09-30-2004, 07:02 AM
04 remembrance

Horrible experience indeed. I can't believe enterprise needed to do a background check on your driving records, that's complete bullcrap.

Hope your next service at any other dealers is a great one.

iamhomin, who has had few bad dealer experiences as well.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Race Director

I bought my car from Rallye acura, i dont know anything about hillside. I scheduled mine for a WAIT, they said it was a dropoff, but he willingly changed it, and i had my car back in an hour and a half, (no age discrimination there), however some guy who i believe was a car salesman kept staring the hell out of me, to the point that i thought it was more humorous then "intimidating" if that's what he was trying to do. It was as if he really wanted to start a fight with me in the showroom. Anyways, bottom line is, car dealerships stink!!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Why anyone goes to a dealer to put up with crap like this is beyond me. I do most of the work on my car to avoid issues like this and the cost savings are just a nice bonus.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Banned

and where is "Hillside Acura" ?

That was, I think, unnecessarily long.
so allow me to boil this down:
your main complaints are:
1) No loaner (the shiet with Enterprise is NOT dealer fault)
2) Shoddy work (BUT it did NOT cause any DAMAGES or any monetary loss, correct ?)
3) Dealer was unable to finish work in a timely fashion
or "promioses" on time broken ?
-- Basically you suffered shiet load of inconvenience.
You did NOT suffer emothional stress or monetary loss.
Dealer did NOT defraud you thou.

You know what ?
I bet my TSX that every single one of us on this forum can relate
to at least 2 out of those 3 points past and presently.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
--snip-- however some guy who i believe was a car salesman kept staring the hell out of me, to the point that i thought it was more humorous then "intimidating" if that's what he was trying to do. It was as if he really wanted to start a fight with me in the showroom. Anyways, bottom line is, car dealerships stink!!
maybe he's :ghey: ?
maybe he's "youngman" molester ?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by blackjackman
maybe he's :ghey: ?
maybe he's "youngman" molester ?

No, it was more like "Im a bad ass, your 18 years old, im gonna stare at you and try to scare you!"

Me thinking "what a loser..now to finish up this english essay"
Old 09-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX

Dont be too certian. If they get their loaners from a rental company, that will be a problem. But if they just use cars off the lot as loaners, they may. Like the first poster said, Enterprise gave him a hard time with the car, but if its just the dealer giving out the car, it may not be a problem.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

and where is "Hillside Acura" ?

That was, I think, unnecessarily long.
so allow me to boil this down:
your main complaints are:
1) No loaner (the shiet with Enterprise is NOT dealer fault)
2) Shoddy work (BUT it did NOT cause any DAMAGES or any monetary loss, correct ?)
3) Dealer was unable to finish work in a timely fashion
or "promioses" on time broken ?
-- Basically you suffered shiet load of inconvenience.
You did NOT suffer emothional stress or monetary loss.
Dealer did NOT defraud you thou.

You know what ?
I bet my TSX that every single one of us on this forum can relate
to at least 2 out of those 3 points past and presently.
Hillside Acura is located in Bay Shore, NY.

The post is very long. However the details are relevant which is why I didn't break it down as you did. I decided to bold key parts instead. For example, #1 was due to the fact I am under 25. #2 being 7.5hrs late for work because I didn't get the loaner I was promised is monetary loss. #3 I consider emotional stress, getting extremely stressed and having to now spend a day at another dealer to get everything corrected.

Alone any one of these issues are a slight inconvenience. Together they amount to a dealers complete disregard for a customers time and property.

I'm sure everyone has had problems with dealers. I have had a few I can think of that I didn't bother to mention here or to honda but I think my service at Hillside Acura went beyond just a poor service.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joerockt
Dont be too certian. If they get their loaners from a rental company, that will be a problem. But if they just use cars off the lot as loaners, they may. Like the first poster said, Enterprise gave him a hard time with the car, but if its just the dealer giving out the car, it may not be a problem.
The dealer gave me a problem to begin with for not being 25yrs old. Which is why they called enterprise to see if they would give me one.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good thing im over 25 so i didnt have to deal with the no loaner crap but i've gone through having the dealer promise the car would be ready by EOD and then saying they'll need it an extra day or two. but since i already had a loaner i didnt really mind.

but the piss poor job the mechanic did is unacceptable, def not under the service advisor's control but it sounds like the dealership has forgetful mechanics and i definitely would not take it back there again
Old 09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by VeniceBeachTSX

I got a loaner in an Audi dealership back when I was 21. They didn't even ask my age. In fact, I can't recall them asking for my driver's license either.

But the actual service on the car sucked. I had to take the A6 back to the dealer 3 times before they fixed the alignment on the rear wiper water jet (it req'd a special tool). And we gave up getting them to replace a speaker that obviously died.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I just got a call from a case manager at American Honda. She documented the complaint and spoke with the service manager at Hillside Acura. All he said was he confirmed he spoke with me and that I said I would never set foot in there dealership again. She is going to call Rallye Acura to make sure when I go in for my service that everything is perfect and see if there is anything she can do for me...

She is calling me back next week after my parts come in.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

From personal experience:
Acura Client Service is pretty much USELESS.
They pretty much can NOT change/correct anything - things past or future - for you.
They can not make dealer do anything.

What they do is:
* Answering that phone when you ring.
* Listen (intently or seemingly intently) to your biiaching (which to some ecxtent is theraputic)
* Put in a call to the dealer telling them about your rant (or maybe get more facts)
* Document your complaint.

and from personal experience I don't think dealer gives a monkey shiet to CS:
I had a heated argument with the OWNER of my local dealership - Basically he was turning me away w/o even asking what I brought car in for (i was looking for WARRANTY service), cuz I didn't buy car from them. (wouldn't budge on price)
I said CS will hear about this outrage blah, blah.
His reply was like "go ahead...tell them, my name is....."
ALL dealers, Acura TLC
Old 09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree with you. However I am just trying to give Honda a chance to correct it so when I go to the BBB I can note I already went to honda and the dealer. Even if they don't compensate me the BBB will give them a negative complaint if the dealer doesn't offer a fair resolution. I'm also looking into other places to report them to. I am going to check with my county's consumer affairs office.

"Acura Total Lousy Care"
Old 09-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

The BBB is a complete waste of time. The business in the area pay good money to keep in good standings with the BBB. In order to get the BBB to say anything bad about any company you have to go through lot's of hoops. So I wouldn't waste my time with them. Honda of America is the way to go.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

This needs to go in the FAQ section!

Sorry to hear it, briny.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DEVO
The BBB is a complete waste of time. The business in the area pay good money to keep in good standings with the BBB. In order to get the BBB to say anything bad about any company you have to go through lot's of hoops. So I wouldn't waste my time with them. Honda of America is the way to go.
As I said I am going to complaint to anyone who will listen. American Honda, bbb, etc. Next I think I will write a letter and mail it seperately to honda exects. Seperately I think each complaint is useless. But when this dealer realizes they are getting bad pr from me from every angle they may try to rectify the situation.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Banned

hehe you're pretty persistent for someone under 25.

It just might work IF you KEEP writing - write everyone you can think of - make a rukus.
This reminds of the movie "Shawshank Redemption"
Old 09-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened I had a hit and run happened to me last week but its not damaged too bad. I hope you get things sorted out with your insurance and get your TSX fixed ASAP.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

hehe you're pretty persistent for someone under 25.

It just might work IF you KEEP writing - write everyone you can think of - make a rukus.
This reminds of the movie "Shawshank Redemption"
That was a good movie. And now that you mention it, it reminds me of that movie too.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Master in Science

Indeed! I went to a dealer on Saturday who refused to negotiate on the TSX. Said they'd only talk about the TL... Monday morning they called me at home to say they would in fact negotiate. Too late, I told them. I bought my TSX on Sunday from another dealer in town for the same price he wanted to sell me one now.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Master in Science

I got a full refund from AOL last I contacted the BBB for a friend of mine ($72). And AOL usually doesn't care about the little guy who cancelled his account.

I also got another business to refund me 50% of installation costs on a pool setup -- through the BBB.

So it does work.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slo007
I got a full refund from AOL last I contacted the BBB for a friend of mine ($72). And AOL usually doesn't care about the little guy who cancelled his account.

I also got another business to refund me 50% of installation costs on a pool setup -- through the BBB.

So it does work.
I've also had some success in the past with the BBB. So I hope they can do something this time. If not at least Hillside will see my name again on another paper.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah... try going after an insurance company for $1500. It's another story.

But glad to hear that it works some times.

Be persistent. I once had a credit card identity theft. This guy racked up about $500 of charges before I noticed. This was early on, when credit card theft just started to come to light. Anyway, my credit card company (First USA) sucked. They put all the items in a temporary holding area until the matter could be cleared up... 2 weeks went by and nothing. So I started to complain on a daily basis.... This got my card number thrown into a program of their's that would get me a different message over the phone. In other words, when I would call up First USA, the automated program will ask for my CC number. I would enter it, and I would normally get, please hold until next available CS representitive. Well, instead they had it say, all CS representitive are busy. Please try again later.

So I did, same message... Then I entered in a made up CC number, I got in immediately. So now I'm really PISSED off. So I call them out on this foolish tactic. They try to deny it but I finally got them to admit that is what they do when you call too many times. I told them that I only called because nothing was being done.

Here comes the persistent part. I start calling up every division of the credit card company that would listen. I had multiple tickets open on the same issue from various dept in the company. Not only did i file via email, internet, and phone.... I faxed as well. The end result is that I got my money back. Here is the good part, because the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing... They refunded my account twice over.

So I had $1K that they overpaid!!! Fucking idiots. So, I was willing to give the money back but I wasn't going to tell them about it. Let them figure it out after all the crap they put me through. It was only fair that they did their homework. In the end, the 1k stayed in my account until I cancelled it 4 years later. Never used it after the fiasco. And they sent me a check for the credit left on the account.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Master in Science

Yeah... try going after an insurance company for $1500. It's another story.

But glad to hear that it works some times.

Be persistent. I once had a credit card identity theft. This guy racked up about $500 of charges before I noticed. This was early on, when credit card theft just started to come to light. Anyway, my credit card company (First USA) sucked. They put all the items in a temporary holding area until the matter could be cleared up... 2 weeks went by and nothing. So I started to complain on a daily basis.... This got my card number thrown into a program of their's that would get me a different message over the phone. In other words, when I would call up First USA, the automated program will ask for my CC number. I would enter it, and I would normally get, please hold until next available CS representitive. Well, instead they had it say, all CS representitive are busy. Please try again later.

So I did, same message... Then I entered in a made up CC number, I got in immediately. So now I'm really PISSED off. So I call them out on this foolish tactic. They try to deny it but I finally got them to admit that is what they do when you call too many times. I told them that I only called because nothing was being done.

Here comes the persistent part. I start calling up every division of the credit card company that would listen. I had multiple tickets open on the same issue from various dept in the company. Not only did i file via email, internet, and phone.... I faxed as well. The end result is that I got my money back. Here is the good part, because the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing... They refunded my account twice over.

So I had $1K that they overpaid!!! Fucking idiots. So, I was willing to give the money back but I wasn't going to tell them about it. Let them figure it out after all the crap they put me through. It was only fair that they did their homework. In the end, the 1k stayed in my account until I cancelled it 4 years later. Never used it after the fiasco. And they sent me a check for the credit left on the account.
Persistence pays off.

We had a phone company bill us for $750 in calls to China, even though we never called China. They insisted we pay and told us they'd put a note on our credit report. We contacted the San Diego county affairs office (exact name escapes me) and found out the company had a history of fraudulent transactions, and were being investigated by the FTC. After about 3-4 months of calls from them and our persistent "no", they gave up. I also read in the paper the company was closed down a couple weeks later.